PDA

View Full Version : Kicking battle is heating up.

woodbuck27
08-04-2007, 11:43 PM
http://www.packerpalace.com/links.html

Rayner, Crosby put best feet forward
Kicking battle starts to heat up

By LORI NICKEL
lnickel@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Aug. 4, 2007

Green Bay - The battle for the kicking job between incumbent Dave Rayner and rookie sixth-round draft pick Mason Crosby was on full display Saturday night during the Green Bay Packers' intrasquad scrimmage at Lambeau Field.

And the fight is on.

The stadium announcer asked fans to make noise and do the wave while the Beastie Boys squealed about their fight for their right to party over the loudspeakers during the field-goal attempts. The cacophony was an attempt to create the kind of road atmosphere the kickers would face under pressure. It wasn't exactly as unnerving as a recent practice, when their teammates were asked to squirt water from bottles at them while they made their attempts, but it was distracting enough.

"I didn't expect it; we really didn't know what exactly to expect, that whole period," Rayner said.

"We were just kind of told to be ready. I think it's good. Distractions are good as long it's not water bottles. Yelling and screaming, that's fine, because that's game like."

Rayner was 8 of 11; he hit his attempts from 25, 28, 31 and 38 yards but missed a 36-yarder in the first round of kicks.

Crosby was 9 of 11; he made all of his from 25, 28, 31, 36 and 38 in the first round.

Then in the second round, after missing from 38 from the left hash, Crosby hit from 40, 49 and 52 twice, while missing once at 49 from the right hash.

Rayner converted from 38, 40 and 49 twice, while missing twice from 52. Rayner wasn't overly upset at missing from 52 while Crosby made it.

"I hit the ball well," Rayner said.

"That last (52)-yarder, I hit that thing as pure as any in my life. It went right. . . . We only attempted three field goals over 50 yards all of last year."

Crosby also made a 23-yarder for the second-team offense.

Their performances came on the heels of a subpar practice Friday. Then, Crosby converted 3 of 5 attempts, missing right from 41 and 44 yards. Rayner converted 3 of 6, kicking left twice and getting blocked on another.

Both kickers began the scrimmage strong, kicking into the end zone. Rayner had kickoffs of 72 yards (3.87 seconds hang time) and 67 (4.13). Crosby had kickoffs of 72 yards twice (4.0 and 4.19).

Newcomer Ryan Dougherty had an impressive high punt of 42 yards (4.59 hang time) in the punt coverage phase of the scrimmage. Jon Ryan punted a 48-yarder (4.38).

Later in the punt return phase, Ryan booted a 44-yarder while Dougherty put up a 55-yard punt.

Special teams hints

Three key players were on the special teams kickoff coverage unit - receiver Robert Ferguson, who is coming off of back-to-back injury-riddled seasons; sixth-round pick Korey Hall, a fullback; and third-round pick Aaron Rouse, a safety.

A player who can contribute to special teams has the best chance of making the final roster.

Ferguson caught a couple passes from Aaron Rodgers with the second-team offense after having a solid week of practice. It was his first action since his season-ending foot injury Oct. 2.

"My foot feels great; I feel comfortable," said Ferguson, who had three catches for 24 yards.

"I've just been looking forward to getting out there and making some plays."

Return game

With Vernand Morency out with a knee injury, the Packers looked at Shaun Bodiford, DeShawn Wynn and David Clowney as kick returners.

On the first, Bodiford was off to the races with a 30-yard return (54 not counting a penalty on the play). He was pushed out finally by Rayner.

Clowney was tagged by cornerback Will Blackmon on his return, wiping out a touchdown.

First on turf

The Packers got their first feel of the new playing surface at Lambeau Field, called DD GrassMaster. The natural grass surface that is reinforced with man-made fibers was installed in a months-long project in the off-season, over a new drainage and heating system.

"If it holds like it did out there, I think the field will be great," Rayner said.

It is the same surface the team practices on at Clarke Hinkle Field.

"The turf felt great," Ferguson said.

"Pretty sturdy. Old field was a little loose. This felt great."

Underwood returns

It also was a big night for third-year safety Marviel Underwood, who returned after missing the entire 2006 season with ligament damage in his right knee.

Underwood was having stellar camp last year when he tore both his anterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament in the Packers' exhibition opener at San Diego on Aug. 12.

After a year of rehabilitation, he has been cleared to play.

"I think the coaches know I can play," Underwood said recently.

"First year I led the special teams in tackles. Second year I had a big jump. Right now I am just trying to show the coaches that I can be consistent, control the defense and just stay healthy."

Family Night a hit

The intrasquad scrimmage drew 59,362 fans, the fourth straight sellout for the Packers. The first intrasquad scrimmage was in 1999, and since then attendance has escalated every year from 46,420.

The parking lot of Lambeau Field opened at 7 a.m. and the place was nearly full and turning away cars at 3:30 p.m. The scrimmage didn't start until 7:45 p.m.

GO PACKERS !