PDA

View Full Version : Offense, Rodgers make a good first impression

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2007, 01:37 AM
Offense, Rodgers make a good first impression
By BOB McGINN

Green Bay - The widely doubted offense of the Green Bay Packers, especially quarterback Aaron Rodgers, had every reason to leave Lambeau Field on Saturday night feeling rather bullish about itself.

For one of the first times in his career, Rodgers offered some tangible evidence that he is improving and might one day be a suitable successor to Brett Favre, and the offense moved the ball pretty much at will other than a pair of end-zone interceptions.

With a crowd of 59,362 watching the intrasquad scrimmage on a beautiful midsummer night, Rodgers completed 12 of 21 passes for 138 yards in one of his best moments since arriving in the first round in 2005.

The evaluation process, however, was skewed. Quarterbacks weren't allowed to be touched, and the threat of physical violence can make all the difference in the world at that position.

Still, any National Football League scout that paid for an $8 ticket to the event probably would have come away thinking Rodgers looks like a somewhat different player than the skittish youngster of the last two exhibition seasons.

In general, coach Mike McCarthy saw reasons for optimism in the first exposure to live tackling for his second team in Green Bay.

"I'll tell you this," McCarthy said. "I feel a lot better about our football team tonight than I did when I stood here last year."

Rodgers was far from perfect. Directing the No. 2 offense against the No. 1 defense, he was able to generate just two first downs and 16 yards in two possessions totaling 12 plays. He had a pass batted down at the line and he threw wildly to Carlyle Holiday on a ball that was nearly intercepted by safety Atari Bigby, but he also was under constant pressure.

On his third possession, Rodgers drove the No. 2 offense 71 yards in nine plays to set up a 23-yard field goal by Mason Crosby. He faced a blend of first- and second-string defenders on that series.

In that drive, Rodgers threw a 20-yard completion to the closely covered Holiday on a bootleg, hit James Jones in a stride on a crossing route for 21 and found Ruvell Martin for 11 on a slant.

When the scrimmage shifted to two-minute drills, Rodgers led the No. 2 offense on a nine-play, 66-yard sortie against mostly a backup defense.

Rodgers opened by coming off his second read and finding Holiday in the middle for 12. He zipped an out to Robert Ferguson for 11.

On second and 10, he refused to vacate the pocket prematurely and, at the last instant, swung the ball out in the left flat to the wide-open Brandon Jackson for 23.

Rodgers gunned a 9-yard touchdown pass to Martin in the back of the end zone, but it was nullified when Martin was penalized for pushing off. A holding penalty against tackle Orrin Thompson set up a second-and-27 at the 29 when Rodgers threw his interception.

Instead of looking elsewhere, Rodgers stayed with his favorite target, Martin, on a go route on the left side. Martin was alone against cornerback Traman Williams, but Williams came back for the interception.

"Maybe more on the receiver," McCarthy said. "It was a one-on-one situation. Two guys went up for the ball. It was a two-minute situation and we had to have a touchdown. It really was more the result of penalties."

Rodgers was more poised and decisive than in the past. He threw a live ball and generally was on target. And his body language was more that of a confident leader than someone who at times looked as if he were attempting to transfer blame.

"He threw the ball very well," McCarthy said. "Aaron looked sharp. On the one sack he may have come out a little early. He threw the ball into tight spots. Our first two quarterbacks were very sharp."

By the time Rodgers took the field, the No. 1 offense had two touchdowns in a rather startling performance.

Brett Favre, who missed five practices last week after the death of his wife's stepfather, was on fire, completing 13 of 15 passes for 157 yards and one touchdown. On a nine-play, 75-yard drive capped by Donald Driver's 11-yard scoring catch, Favre simply carved up the No. 2 defense.

The pattern continued on the next possession when Favre put a long ball right on the money to Driver for 33 on a fade against Frank Walker. Then, he spotted Jackson flying down the left seam a step or two ahead of linebacker Tracy White and put it on him for 25 yards to the 1.

Jackson powered over on the next play.

Favre produced four first downs but then, on third and 1 at the 13, he looked left and then came right into the end zone for Driver against Will Blackmon. But safety Nick Collins was in the throwing lane, intercepted 3 yards deep and returned it 63 yards.

"I'd say that was more of an underthrow," McCarthy said. "Brett had a play at the line. They were not on the same page."

On the injury front, McCarthy listed fullback Brandon Miree (stinger), running back P.J. Pope (knee) and two players, linebacker Abdul Hodge and Bigby, with dislocated fingers.

CaliforniaCheez
08-05-2007, 02:06 AM
Well I don't think Aaron is where he should be to date.

Starting at a low point there has been some improvement but Rodgers has not obtained adequate status.

Unfortunately, he is compared to Brett Favre.

He is not as calm and as aware as he should be. Not close to Brett in running the 2 minute offense.

Rodgers arm (some say it is stronger) is worrisome. There is more arc and the ball is in the air too long.

He is not yet qualified to start but he has gotten half to two thirds of the way there.

Lurker64
08-05-2007, 04:46 AM
McGinn doesn't exactly have a reputation for "rampant homerism", in fact he's pretty much as "calls it as he see's it guy." I mean really all McGinn said is that "we now have proof that Rogers is improving, at long last" which doesn't exactly peg him as a hall of fame lock. Apparently you see it differently. Care to share your observations?

RashanGary
08-05-2007, 07:47 AM
Keep in mind the #2 offense was going up against the #1 defense for a while. Rodgers was getting a ton of pressure and the running game was non existant. I thought he did a good job running a completely inferior team to what he was competing against.

Favre got to beat up on the #2 defense. It wasn't what I was hoping to see. I wanted 1's against 1's.

Packnut
08-05-2007, 08:21 AM
Until he stops locking in on his primary right from the snap, Rodgers is going to stuggle. The difference between him and Favre is huge. It was understandable the first few years cause they all do it, but he's been around long enough now to figure it out.

PackerBlues
08-05-2007, 08:37 AM
I can only imagine how hard this must be on Rogers. No matter how hard he tries, no matter how much he improves...... he is still going to be compared to Brett Favre. Poor guy.

GBRulz
08-05-2007, 09:29 AM
I just didn't think Rodgers looked all that great last night. i'd say he did ok and will give him credit for calming down a bit as the scrimmage went on, but he looked horrible in the first couple series. I read somewhere that his bad play in the beginning is what got him a few more snaps. Glad to see he took advantage and stepped it up a bit though.

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2007, 09:41 AM
First couple of series was 2s vs. 1s?

RashanGary
08-05-2007, 09:43 AM

Right. They had no running game and the pass protection was awfull. The defense ran over the offense during that series, it was hardly Rodgers fault. It was no more Rodgers fault last night than it was Bretts fault in 2005, I know many here can relate to that :)

fan4life
08-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Good is a relative term. He's come a long way, to be sure. I don't think he's ready for prime time yet, but at least I'm starting to believe he might get there. There's still no doubt in my mind that #4 is the best QB on the Packer roster and the only way AR gets on the field is if BF goes down to injury.

ND72
08-05-2007, 09:54 AM

Until he is on the field full time, there is no way to he will ever be "where he should be to date". I am probably one of the few that realizes that THIS should be the year that Rodgers has to take over, for his future potential. Plus, I've been off of the Brett Favre bandwagon for about 2 years and think he should have retired after we lost to Philly in the playoffs in 2003...but that's me, Brett Favre is not my god like everyone else. NOBODY can say Rodgers is anywhere, cause he hasn't had the opportunity to do anything...and don't give me the BS that he had his chance against Baltimore his rookie year, and against New England last year...blah blah blah. And yet he was put into the game for Favre who was pulled, at least in the Baltimore game, and still probably played better than Favre did in the New England game.

ND72
08-05-2007, 09:58 AM
I just didn't think Rodgers looked all that great last night. i'd say he did ok and will give him credit for calming down a bit as the scrimmage went on, but he looked horrible in the first couple series. I read somewhere that his bad play in the beginning is what got him a few more snaps. Glad to see he took advantage and stepped it up a bit though.

Cullen Jenkins, KGB, Pickett, Harrell, Williams, & Kampman

vs.

Orrin Thompson, Allan Barbre, Troy Walters, Junius Coston, & Tony Moll

That's all I'm gonna say, you take it as you want.

RashanGary
08-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Cullen Jenkins, KGB, Pickett, Harrell, Williams, & Kampman

vs.

Orrin Thompson, Allan Barbre, Troy Walters, Junius Coston, & Tony Moll

That pretty much sums it up. Throw in PJ Pope, Zac Alcorn and Korey Hall against BArnett, Hawk and Poppinga and I think anyone can understand the struggle.

KYPack
08-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Until he stops locking in on his primary right from the snap, Rodgers is going to stuggle. The difference between him and Favre is huge. It was understandable the first few years cause they all do it, but he's been around long enough now to figure it out.

A QB MUST lock on to the initial receiver right from the snap on most routes. How in the hell are you gonna read the guy's route if you aren't looking at him? There is a time and a place to "look off" a receiver to get back to him and fake out the defender, but it's rare and a luxury. Most of MM's offense are quicks and slants. You don't have the time to do any fancy shit, you've got to read the route and get it to the receiver on rhythm.

There are fans and many broadcasters who are critical of QB's for looking at the pass receiver, but most times that criticism in unwarranted. They only say that shit when the pass gets picked. The QB is looking at (locked on) the receiver on 99% of completions, too.

Rodgers did a good job. His pocket awareness has greatly improved. His pass were on rhythm and crisper. He had a good sense of tempo and got the offense in and out of their plays.

The guy is improving and might be a QB for us some day.

I hope.

GBRulz
08-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Rodgers is back there knowing they can't touch him. Also, he was clearly overthrowing receivers in the first couple of series.

I guess the argument can go both ways. You can take it as he was playing against the #1 D or perhaps he just flat out had a couple of bad series. I did give him credit for improving as the scrimmage went on, I think he looked decent in the latter part.

I stand firmly on my opinion that Favre gives us our best chance to win, hands down. I'm glad to see Rodgers improving each year because there will come a time when we need him.

Scott Campbell
08-05-2007, 10:47 AM

A QB MUST lock on to the initial receiver right from the snap on most routes. How in the hell are you gonna read the guy's route if you aren't looking at him? There is a time and a place to "look off" a receiver to get back to him and fake out the defender, but it's rare and a luxury. Most of MM's offense are quicks and slants. You don't have the time to do any fancy shit, you've got to read the route and get it to the receiver on rhythm.

There are fans and many broadcasters who are critical of QB's for looking at the pass receiver, but most times that criticism in unwarranted. They only say that shit when the pass gets picked. The QB is looking at (locked on) the receiver on 99% of completions, too.

Rodgers did a good job. His pocket awareness has greatly improved. His pass were on rhythm and crisper. He had a good sense of tempo and got the offense in and out of their plays.

I hope.

Nicely dispelled urban legend. These kinds of posts are why I love coming here. It's too bad we can't put up clips and have you and some of the other X's and O's posters break down film.

Packgator
08-05-2007, 11:17 AM

Right. They had no running game and the pass protection was awfull. The defense ran over the offense during that series

As it should. I'd be concerned if the number 2 offense had its way with the number 1 defense. Did the 1's go against each other at all?

Packgator
08-05-2007, 11:33 AM

Until he is on the field full time, there is no way to he will ever be "where he should be to date". I am probably one of the few that realizes that THIS should be the year that Rodgers has to take over, for his future potential.

"THIS" should only be the year if he can beat out the guy in front of him. He's the second best QB on the team.....therefore he's on the second team. Should the second best center be given the job? How about the second best left tackle? Or the second best......well you get the point.

Packnut
08-05-2007, 11:49 AM

I hope.

It's called using "peripheral vision". You do not turn your head in the complete direction of your primary right from the snap. Perfect example was the one he threw in the left corner RZ. He locked in right from the snap and both defenders broke on the ball before the WR. QB 101 my friend.

I had a HS coach who would make me run laps every damn time I did it. There's a big difference between looking at your primary and then looking off and coming back to him. If you recorded it, go back and watch cause that's what I did this a.m. and it was obvious that he does it often.

KYPack
08-05-2007, 12:05 PM

I hope.

It's called using "peripheral vision". You do not turn your head in the complete direction of your primary right from the snap. Perfect example was the one he threw in the left corner RZ. He locked in right from the snap and both defenders broke on the ball before the WR. QB 101 my friend.

I had a HS coach who would make me run laps every damn time I did it. There's a big difference between looking at your primary and then looking off and coming back to him. If you recorded it, go back and watch cause that's what I did this a.m. and it was obvious that he does it often.

Yeah, I'll look at it. Which play do you mean, the Williams pick or the Blackmon pick? At what point in the "game" was it.

There is another aspect to it. if a safety starts reading the QB's eyes (or head turn), he gets known as a "peeker". One too many peeks will get you burned. Everybody (defenders) does, but you better not do it all the time. Looking off is possible from time to time, but not all the time.

Whether or not to look off the receiver is not 101 to all QB teachers. Read "Quarterbacking" by Ken Anderson (Bill Walshes 1st disciple) That system teaches head position works with the body and feet to insure accuracy. Look, step, throw. I guess yer HS coach disagreed, but there are many schools of thought on this exact topic.

Rastak
08-05-2007, 12:18 PM
My "laymans" understanding of it is that it's bad to lock on to one reciever from the get go. Just as KY mentioned, guys will break on the ball they know where it's going. I think the better QB's in the league don't do this. I'm sure some of it is experience or lack therof.

4and12to12and4
08-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Well, from what I saw, Rodgers still has a ways to go as far as reading the defense, and seeing the backside rush. He would definitely be getting sacked much more than Favre, but comparing them might not be fair, because we have been blessed for a decade and a half with watching a guy back there that has eyes in the back of his head, and has an uncanny sense about when to get out of the pocket. Aaron doesn't have that same sense of awareness, IMO.

One thing that I was impressed with that I have always questioned about Aaron is his arm strength. I was pleasantly surprised at a few of his longer throws during the scrimmage. I didn't think he had the arm strength to get those passes off. I don't know if this is a reflection of his strength and conditioning these past years, or if I just underrated him from day one. But, I went away from this scrimmage with a better feeling that maybe, if he can get a better feeling in the pocket in terms of pressure and reading defenses, he possesses the tools to be a good QB.

4and12to12and4
08-05-2007, 01:05 PM
BTW, isn't is amazing to watch Brett go out there and zip the ball downfield, and outplay all the other QB's at the age of 38? We are watching, IMO, the greatest QB of all time, and he looks to me as though he hasn't lost anything this offseason. Without injury, he could probably play 3 more years and be in the UPPER echelon of QB's in the league. The guy is extraordinary!

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Brett's only 37. He's less than a year older than me, so don't make him out to be older than he is.
:D

KYPack
08-05-2007, 03:37 PM
OK, I watched tape.

There was exactly one example of a "look off". On the first pass from scrimmage, Brett looked to the right at DD doing a mid route. Then he quickly looked and tossed to Jennings running a sit down in the seam in the middle of the field.

I thought I recalled that no QB looked off the initial and went to another route to fool the D. I forgot the first pass, but that's OK, I can forget breakfast from time to time.

All the QB's looked at their initial option and then looked to their checkdown and passed to 'em from time to time in the game.

I've said it before & I'll say it again. Looking off a receiver is a play you can use from time to time, but nobody does it all the time. You look, step and make the good toss. you'll never make a living trying to tr4ick everybody by constantly looking off & nobody does it either.

Rodgers had a pretty good game and has showed growth, "locking on or no locking on" his initial receiver.

As far as Rodgers tossing a pick because he constantly looked at the initial receiver, I think the shit read and poor toss had a lot more to do with the pick than the poor eye management.

woodbuck27
08-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Keep in mind the #2 offense was going up against the #1 defense for a while. Rodgers was getting a ton of pressure and the running game was non existant. I thought he did a good job running a completely inferior team to what he was competing against.

Favre got to beat up on the #2 defense. It wasn't what I was hoping to see. I wanted 1's against 1's.

The smart thing for the coaching staff to do was to use the NO. 1 'O' Vs Aaron Rodgers offense to see what he has now.

We already are aware of Favre's status.