6 yd run middle
5 yd run middle
4 yd run middle
3 yd run left side
0 yd run middle from the one yard line
1 yd TD run
13 yd run left side
1 yd run right side

35 yards in 9 carries for a 4 yd average.

RashanGary
08-05-2007, 08:38 AM
I thought the 1st team did a decent job. They are clearly ahead of where they were last year when I lowered my season prediction from 9-7 to 6-10 becuase I realized the Oline couldn't run block or pass protect. So far they've done nothing to cause me to lower my season prediction but they haven't done nearly enough to prove themselves either. I'm going to keep a close eye on them through the preseason. I think these guys are the key to our season.

RashanGary
08-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Tony Moll played TE in the redzone on the one yard TD run. I wonder if we are going to have him in as a specialized, short yardage run blocking TE?

RashanGary
08-05-2007, 08:44 AM
"(The improvement) is very obvious to all of us," McCarthy said. "Last year, we had three rookies competing for two positions and plus we're putting in a new scheme. Our guys are very comfortable. They've had a full year of training, and the training in the run blocking system is the most important thing. Just the way we do the drills, the tempo of doing the drills. And now you're seeing the effects in a game-like atmosphere tonight.

"I thought the tempo and the way the were getting off the ball — you see that wedge and the point of attack, those are the types of things you're looking for in the zone scheme. So, we're clearly way ahead of where we were this time last year."

TopHat
08-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Tony Moll played TE in the redzone on the one yard TD run. I wonder if we are going to have him in as a specialized, short yardage run blocking TE?

Actually, red zone short yardage run blocking eligible receiver TE. Moll has come a long ways...a presense on OL...real depth especially at OT now.

Guiness
08-05-2007, 09:10 AM

Actually, red zone short yardage run blocking eligible receiver TE. Moll has come a long ways...a presense on OL...real depth especially at OT now.

good lord that sounds too much like the U-71

Bretsky
08-05-2007, 09:33 AM
2 yd run left side
6 yd run middle
5 yd run middle
4 yd run middle
3 yd run left side
1 yd TD run
13 yd run left side
1 yd run right side

Was this against the 2nd team defense ??

retailguy
08-05-2007, 09:34 AM
2 yd run left side
6 yd run middle
5 yd run middle
4 yd run middle
3 yd run left side
1 yd TD run
13 yd run left side
1 yd run right side

I believe it was. Not all of it, but definitely some of it.

TopHat
08-05-2007, 09:36 AM
It was.

TopHat
08-05-2007, 09:37 AM
2 yd run left side
6 yd run middle
5 yd run middle
4 yd run middle
3 yd run left side
1 yd TD run
13 yd run left side
1 yd run right side

It was...how much improvement telling tale begins next weekend.

ND72
08-05-2007, 09:46 AM
2 yd run left side
6 yd run middle
5 yd run middle
4 yd run middle
3 yd run left side
1 yd TD run
13 yd run left side
1 yd run right side

It was...how much improvement telling tale begins next weekend.

The last 5 carries were against the 2nd team defense. The first possession, Favre decided to hurry everything up and threw it more than ran it. I'm not concerned. My concern is what if someone gets hurt, cause our depth is better, but still unproven and raw.

RashanGary
08-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Yeah, it was 2nd team defense for much of it.

I agree with Top Hat that it will be much more telling next week. It's a 3-4 next week so I don't know that even that will be a great indicator considering most of our competitors in 2007 are 4-3 defenses.

The presesaon as a whole should give us a pretty good gauge. I'm going to run through a list of all runs by the 1st team offense and we should get a decent feel for what to expect after four games. McCarthy said they were much improved. The offense looked razor sharp but we'll have to have more than one family night to crown anyone.

Deputy Nutz
08-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Run blocking is always going to be harder to master than pass blocking. In the running game you need all five interior offensive linemen getting to their block and holding it just so you have a chance at getting back to the line of scrimmage.

vince
08-05-2007, 12:57 PM

I agree with Top Hat that it will be much more telling next week. It's a 3-4 next week so I don't know that even that will be a great indicator considering most of our competitors in 2007 are 4-3 defenses.

The presesaon as a whole should give us a pretty good gauge. I'm going to run through a list of all runs by the 1st team offense and we should get a decent feel for what to expect after four games. McCarthy said they were much improved. The offense looked razor sharpe but we'll have to have more than one family night to crown anyone.Regardless of how many 3-4 defenses we face this year, Pittsburgh will be a very good barometer for the OL, which struggled mightily against 3-4 defenses last year. San Diego (preseason), New England and New York Jets come immediately to mind...

RashanGary
08-05-2007, 01:05 PM
How we play against Pittsburgh will tell us a lot about how we play against a 3-4 defense but with 15 out of 16 games this year being against 4-3 defenses, I would think our effectiveness against a 4-3 is going to be a better gauge to our regular season success.

CaliforniaCheez
08-05-2007, 01:14 PM
It may of been on the 4th series but I saw Jenkins beat Colledge disrupting a run and Hodge making the tackle for no gain. It was a few plays before the Favre INT.

The first string offensive line was much better than last year. With the offese in white and the players getting low and doing a good job it was hard to see their numbers. Later when the backups were not doing a good job it was easier to see the numbers on the white jerseys.

I saw Spitz do a good job when pulling to the left.

I was suprised that the new guy Blomvell seemed to be doing okay at Center. Palmer screwed up a couple of times including a shotgun snap over Rodgers head.

As to pass blocking, Favre had more time than he needed and Rodgers did not have enough. 1st's on seconds did not make for a good gauge of some of the talent.

Bretsky
08-05-2007, 01:19 PM
I've heard nothing about Orange Juice Coston; anybody have any reports ?
With Ferguson possibly getting the axe soon, I need to pick out my next wannabe. I think he is it :lol:

vince
08-05-2007, 01:23 PM
How we play against Pittsburgh will tell us a lot about how we play against a 3-4 defense but with 15 out of 16 games this year being against 4-3 defenses, I would think our effectiveness against a 4-3 is going to be a better gauge to our regular season success.Agreed. I just think that if we can demonstrate success in an area where we struggled last year, that'd be a strong sign of improvement.

As you suggest, we could struggle against the Steelers, but still be effective against 4-3's... All in all though, I'd like to see improvement, and expect it to occur. It can't really get much worse than the games we faced 3-4's last season.

CaliforniaCheez
08-05-2007, 01:29 PM
How we play against Pittsburgh will tell us a lot about how we play against a 3-4 defense but with 15 out of 16 games this year being against 4-3 defenses, I would think our effectiveness against a 4-3 is going to be a better gauge to our regular season success.

I was at the San Diego game last year and the Chargers were blitz happy against the young line. But the RB's also did not pick up blitzers well.

One of the problems I saw corrected in the scrimmage was that the line attacked as a group. Against San Diego some charged further out than others and it opened gaps.

KYPack
08-05-2007, 02:28 PM
I've heard nothing about Orange Juice Coston; anybody have any reports ?
With Ferguson possibly getting the axe soon, I need to pick out my next wannabe. I think he is it :lol:

Limited time. He was his same old, disjointed, confused self.
(Not really. after further review for another thread, he got some snaps at LT and held his own in pass pro. I only remembered the one time he got beat. he held mike Montgomery in his limited number of reps)

When is this guy gonna show anything. I don't think I've ever seen him execute a clean blocking assignment. Ive seen him flip flop & fall, tho.

(see above)

I see Nutz & ND are on here. Doesn't seem they've slightly modified the ZBS scheme? Jags is gone and they don't do the radical ZBS plays. The line had their alignment more squared to the opposing line unlike the 90 degree turn and pull of the ZBS.

Campen and Fontenot are old school power guys as opposed to the new wave zone guys. Are they modifying the ZBS to fit the yount personnel?

I'd like to know you two old neanderthals opinions!

woodbuck27
08-05-2007, 04:39 PM

The presesaon as a whole should give us a pretty good gauge. I'm going to run through a list of all runs by the 1st team offense and we should get a decent feel for what to expect after four games. McCarthy said they were much improved. The offense looked razor sharpe but we'll have to have more than one family night to crown anyone.Regardless of how many 3-4 defenses we face this year, Pittsburgh will be a very good barometer for the OL, which struggled mightily against 3-4 defenses last year. San Diego (preseason), New England and New York Jets come immediately to mind...

We play the NO. 9th ranked 'D' next Saturday (the Steelers).

Then we'll have a better picture.

KYPack
08-05-2007, 05:00 PM
We better buy Brandon Jackson a whole case of "Blitz Pick-up Pills"

We're playing Blitzburgh and this kid don't know much about that phase of the game.

woodbuck27
08-05-2007, 05:10 PM
We better buy Brandon Jackson a whole case of "Blitz Pick-up Pills"

We're playing Blitzburgh and this kid don't know much about that phase of the game.

The learning curve. :)