PDA

View Full Version : Might the Colts call TT about a trade?

Packgator
08-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Colts may be finding themselves very thin on (interior) D-line. Any trade possibilities there? Could the Packers be a possible trade partner?

From PFT......

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

""On the same day that the Colts terminated the contract of free-agent bust Corey Simon, the guy whom the Colts acquired last season to take his place was undergoing an MRI.

And before word of the Booger McFarland MRI broke, an anonymous tipster advised us that the injury is serious, and likely season-ending.

Though we have not yet corroborated this tip, and are not officially reporting that McFarland is out for the year, we can understand why the Colts aren't announcing the severity of the injury, if it indeed is severe. With an even greater need in the interior of a defensive line that was getting shredding against the run before it somehow picked it up in the playoffs, the Colts would likely like to finagle a trade with a team that doesn't realize the urgency that the team might now be facing, because that would drive the price tag north.""

Packnut
08-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Here ya go, Harrell or Williams straight up for Reggie Wayne.

BallHawk
08-05-2007, 02:30 PM

That's the best pipe dream ever..... :smk:

Packgator
08-05-2007, 02:49 PM

Packers are sitting pretty good at interior D-line. Williams contract is up following this season. If he is going to leave via free agency TT may want to get something for him while he can. If the Colts are desperate (and its just a rumor so far) they may be willing to pay a good price.

Won't be R. Wayne.......but I wonder what TT would have to get in return for Williams in order to make a deal?

The Shadow
08-05-2007, 02:53 PM

Trade Harrell, the guy you just drafted #1?????????????????
Williams, maybe - if you really got something helpful in return.
If you had Wayne, who do you sit : Driver? Jennings?
Just don't see this, either.

Rastak
08-05-2007, 03:00 PM

You rotate Jennings in and you use Jennings as a 3rd reciever. I'm sure he'd see the field quite a bit.

But they aren't gonna trade Harrell as you mentioned.

The Shadow
08-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Then how do you find out if Jones is as good as he seems to be showing?

The Shadow
08-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Maybe it's time for old Cletidus Hunt to wear the horseshoe...

Rastak
08-05-2007, 03:11 PM

When one of the top 3 go down, as always seems to happen in football.

woodbuck27
08-05-2007, 03:44 PM

If TT could trade Harrel or Williams for Reggie Wayne wouldn't TT be a wrong to not make that move Shadow?

Reggie Wayne is a solid WR.A top ten WR in the NFL. We need such a player on our offense.

If we could deal either Williams or Harrell for R. Wayne that's a no brainer.

With DD and Reggie Wayne at #1 and #2 WR. Why would you be concerned if Greg Jennings is bumped to #3 WR? It's a win-win. :)

Best case scenario for us, if it was possible.

Trade Justin Harrell for Wayne (if that was acceptable to the Colts) and hang onto the proven DT. . .Williams. Then extend Williams.

We have been developing. . .Williams and he's very decent at DT.

We should be so lucky.

Always go with what you know. We have no idea what Harrell will bring us.

That's not the case with Reggie Wayne who would combine with DD to give us a huge upgrade.

In reality. I just don't see the Colts making that sacrifice.

Lurker64
08-05-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure if the Colts would trade Reggie Wayne for any player on our defense, it's just a pipe dream (if we had a player who was top ten in the league at an impact position, would you really give him up for unproven commodities?). If we traded a DT, we'd probably get draft picks for it (which is how most of these things work) and it doesn't make sense to give up Harrell for draft picks. You'd have to get good draft picks to make giving up Williams worth it.

If they call, see if they're interested in Cole or Jolly, and see what they'd give up for Williams. Then again, they're probably just going to wait until they see who a team deepish at DT cuts a decent player. It's not like playing DT requires an intimate knowledge of the playbook that they can't wait a few weeks to add a player.

woodbuck27
08-05-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm not sure if the Colts would trade Reggie Wayne for any player on our defense, it's just a pipe dream (if we had a player who was top ten in the league at an impact position, would you really give him up for unproven commodities?). If we traded a DT, we'd probably get draft picks for it (which is how most of these things work) and it doesn't make sense to give up Harrell for draft picks. You'd have to get good draft picks to make giving up Williams worth it.

If they call, see if they're interested in Cole or Jolly, and see what they'd give up for Williams. Then again, they're probably just going to wait until they see who a team deepish at DT cuts a decent player. It's not like playing DT requires an intimate knowledge of the playbook that they can't wait a few weeks to add a player.

We will never see Reggie Wayne in a Green Bay Packer jersey this season.

Lurker64
08-05-2007, 05:25 PM

Which is less to do with anything about our GM and more to do with the fact that if the Colts called up and said "Hey Ted, we'd like to trade for one of your DTs" and Ted said "We want Reggie Wayne" then the Colts would hang up immediately and call someone else.

woodbuck27
08-05-2007, 05:38 PM

Which is less to do with anything about our GM and more to do with the fact that if the Colts called up and said "Hey Ted, we'd like to trade for one of your DTs" and Ted said "We want Reggie Wayne" then the Colts would hang up immediately and call someone else.

Certainly I agree.

TT should (I believe) be all over getting Reggie Wayne in Green Bay for either Harrell or Williams, if the Colts were to make that offer.

I agree that scenario isn't realistic.

The only reason we discuss it is because it's up as a thread thus I'm guessing it deserves some discussion in the context of value (Reggie Wayne) to us for Harrell or Williams.

It simply becomes an exercise.

In reality the scenario doesn't shake. :)

red
08-05-2007, 05:59 PM
we aren't looking that deep at DT right now

if harrell ends up being a non factor this year that leaves us with 2 starters (pickett and williams) and 1 solid backup in cole

woodbuck27
08-05-2007, 06:18 PM
we aren't looking that deep at DT right now

if harrell ends up being a non factor this year that leaves us with 2 starters (pickett and williams) and 1 solid backup in cole

There now.

You just gave TT's reason for ever turning down that deal even if the Colts offered anything for one of our DT's.

Packnut
08-05-2007, 06:22 PM

We have lousy TE's. There is such thing as a 4 WR set. WR's get hurt. You can never have enough.

The Shadow
08-05-2007, 06:38 PM
If you were open to imm. trading - after a handful of training camp practices - the player you thought enough of to draft #1 - you certainly should never have drafted him in the first place.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-05-2007, 07:04 PM
The trade would be Williams for a 1st or a 2nd. A team looking to go to the super bowl again this year just doesn't give up there top 10 WR because that would do more harm than good for there team. What there looking to do is upgrade the team without losing anyone of significance. And seeing how desperate they are at DT I don't think a 1st or 2nd rounder is out of the question. Even mentioning Harrell as a possible trade doesn’t make any sense, so you can just forget about that.

Carolina_Packer
08-05-2007, 07:37 PM
It's nice to think about Reggie Wayne coming to Green Bay, but I think the Colts can solve their problem without creating a hole in their line-up. Also, they have no running backs of interest besides Addai, and something tells me he's not available.

Deputy Nutz
08-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Sometimes you all can be a bit ridiculous, the Packers are not going to trade Harrell, and they are not going to get a player of the caliber of Reggie Wayne or a 1st or 2nd round draft pick for Williams. They would be happy to get a 3rd for Williams, or a 4th or 5th Wide Receiver.

RashanGary
08-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Sometimes you all can be a bit ridiculous, the Packers are not going to trade Harrell, and they are not going to get a player of the caliber of Reggie Wayne or a 1st or 2nd round draft pick for Williams. They would be happy to get a 3rd for Williams, or a 4th or 5th Wide Receiver.

You have got to be kidding me. Giving up Williams for a 3rd round pick would be a horrible trade.

MJZiggy
08-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Why would they want a 4th or 5th WR? We're already gonna have to cut half a dozen as it is.

RashanGary
08-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Williams is the best defensive tackle on our team right now and probably our 2nd best defensive lineman overall.

Kampman
Williams
Jenkins
Pickett

In that order for me. Harrell will overtake Pickett probably some time next season. No way in hell do I give up a very good starting DT for a 3rd round draft pick that is 50/50 at best as far as turning out.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-05-2007, 08:31 PM

I think your underestimating Williams talent. He is a very good Dt and is worthy of starting on many teams. The colts may be without there two best DT's, so I don't think it's unreasonable to say that they would give up a 1st or a 2nd. Don’t forget that there 1st is like a 2nd and there 2nd is like a 3rd with the records they have been getting the last couple years.

RashanGary
08-05-2007, 08:40 PM
I think Williams stands a good chance to have a breakout season this year. He's one of the young players on this team that I am most excited about.

pack4to84
08-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Could the Packets trade for one of the Colts TE
In the sporting news football mag they have Ben Utecht starting and 2nd string Bryan Fletcher. So that means Dallas Clark could be on the trading block anyways. Which DT would be worth TE Clark in a trade? Would it be worth it to make that trade? Would he fit on your team?

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2007, 08:55 PM
The Colts wouldn't give up a 1st or 2nd round pick for Corey Williams. End of story. Even if he weren't a FA at the end of the year.

We aren't going to trade Justin Harrell, and the Colts are not going to trade us Reggie Wayne either.

Packnut
08-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Remind me in the future to insert "sarcasm" next to comments that are meant that way. My Harrell or Williams for Wayne was meant with every ounce of sarcasm in my being. Teddy would'nt trade his "I'm smarter than the rest of you pick" for anything on this earth.

Geez, lighten up.................

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Funny. Packnut telling people to lighten up.

Zool
08-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Remind me in the future to insert "sarcasm" next to comments that are meant that way. My Harrell or Williams for Wayne was meant with every ounce of sarcasm in my being. Teddy would'nt trade his "I'm smarter than the rest of you pick" for anything on this earth.

No kidding. How this this thread grow such stout legs?

A TE with some potential would be a nice trade though.

run pMc
08-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Sarcasm is easily missed in cyberspace.

I LMAO when I saw the trade Williams for Wayne comment. If Wayne is a top 10 WR, wouldn't it stand to reason we'd have to trade a top 10 DT to land him? Williams has potential, but he's not top 10, at least not yet. Trading Williams (or Jolly, or anybody) is certainly a possibility, but this is all based on a RUMOR. I think TT would go looking for a RB, TE, or picks before taking another WR. As far as what Williams is worth, a 2nd rounder would be a steal...Indy would have to redo his contract to make it worthwhile. I'm actually a big Corey Williams fan (one of Sherman's better late round picks), but I'm not convinced he's consistently shown enough to be called a superstar or worth a 2nd round pick. Consider what Moss went to NE for.

The Shadow
08-05-2007, 09:53 PM

Great news!
Now I see that those ridiculous demands for Thompson to draft V. Davis instead of A.J. Hawk were just more examples of 'sarcasm'.

Bretsky
08-05-2007, 10:12 PM

Great news!
Now I see that those ridiculous demands for Thompson to draft V. Davis instead of A.J. Hawk were just more examples of 'sarcasm'.

If you go back and read the board from a year ago the strong majority of posters agreed AJ Hawk was the right pick; only a few still around who I remember wanting Davis.

RashanGary
08-05-2007, 11:02 PM
I made comments about Davis being worth the pick. I never saddled up with any one guy. I said all of those guys at the top were good and it was impossible for me to split hairs. Hawk was the right pick though.

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 01:51 AM
I'm with JH on this one.

I don't want TT to trade a good DT ( C. Williams ) that we have been developing for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

The deal has to be sweeter than that. As in some player trade that works for both sides, and it most certainly works for us. :)

The balls of the better NFL teams that seem to think the bottom feeders in the NFL are some sort of farm system. They want something for little in return. Shanahan and the Bronco's really come to mind.

Packnut
08-06-2007, 02:50 AM

Great news!

Good LB's are a dime a dozen in the NFL. Good TE's are rare. Almost every team has a "Hawk". Very few teams have a TE that can stretch the field. Live and learn. Watch the numbers Davis put's up this season......

the_idle_threat
08-06-2007, 04:25 AM
Good LB's are a dime a dozen in the NFL. Good TE's are rare. Almost every team has a "Hawk".

You underestimate Hawk. He wasn't drafted to be "good." He was drafted at #5 because he's supposed to be one of the top linebackers in the game---much better than what "almost every team" has. He didn't play at that level (yet) in his rookie season, but then again, neither did Vernon Davis (Davis' numbers were very Bubba-Franks-like. See http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/409254).

So Davis can be expected to take a huge step (from disappointing to outstanding) but Hawk can't be expected to take a smaller step (from very good to outstanding)?

Very few teams have a TE that can stretch the field. Live and learn. Watch the numbers Davis put's up this season......
Yawn!
The league is strewn with tight ends that have the speed to stretch the field, but still fail to be game-changers. The Packers have two in training camp (Zac Alcorn and Donald Lee) and let one go in the offseason (David Martin).

Davis has never proven that he's anything more than a combine star and 2nd or 3rd-tier tight end. He wasn't even 1/10th the game-changer Hawk was in college. It was a no-brainer to pick Hawk.

RashanGary
08-06-2007, 06:11 AM
Holy crap Packnut. I liked Davis too, but you can't tell me that a TE is more important than a LB.

Most important = QB

2nd most important = all defensive positions (except safety), Oline and running back

Last = TE, FB, Safties, WR's

Rastak
08-06-2007, 06:31 AM
Actually a TE that can stretch the field a bit is pretty important in the WCO. Under some offensive systems, I'd agree that it's not quite as important.

Partial
08-06-2007, 07:06 AM
I made comments about Davis being worth the pick. I never saddled up with any one guy. I said all of those guys at the top were good and it was impossible for me to split hairs. Hawk was the right pick though.

You were #1 on the Vernon Davis band-wagon.

retailguy
08-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Actually a TE that can stretch the field a bit is pretty important in the WCO. Under some offensive systems, I'd agree that it's not quite as important.

The WCO is over rated. Now that Wash has died, you'll see that all these teams will move away from it. TE's are not important. That's why we didn't sign one in free agency. We'll just "groom one from within". If we take a 7th rounder every year (since we'll always have 15 7th round picks this will not be a problem), eventually we'll get a Donald Driver type to pan out. Just watch and learn. :roll: :wink:

RashanGary
08-06-2007, 09:11 AM

I was bounced around from Hawk to Davis but ultimately I liked Davis. I was wrong.

Packgator
08-06-2007, 10:08 AM
I think Williams stands a good chance to have a breakout season this year. He's one of the young players on this team that I am most excited about.

Williams may be on his way to becoming a good and steady NFL DT. If he has another good season the problem will be re-signing him. How much money are the Packers willing to spend on the interior D-line? The Packers probably met with Williams this summer about an extention and whatever was offered (if there was an offer) was turned down.

Scott Campbell
08-06-2007, 12:02 PM

The WCO is over rated. Now that Wash has died, you'll see that all these teams will move away from it. TE's are not important. That's why we didn't sign one in free agency. We'll just "groom one from within". If we take a 7th rounder every year (since we'll always have 15 7th round picks this will not be a problem), eventually we'll get a Donald Driver type to pan out. Just watch and learn. :roll: :wink:

(RG) - thanks again for your infinite words of wisdom. Piece of advice - You really need a new line. Your tired sarcasm is no longer working... 2000 post is about enough of the same old same old. You might actually have to (explain why you aren't a hypocrite). :shock:

More evidence of hypocracy.

retailguy
08-06-2007, 12:49 PM
More evidence of hypocracy.

HYPOCRISY. But hey, you got close at least... :P

TennesseePackerBacker
08-06-2007, 05:04 PM
wow, too much crap in this thread to even begin with.

I guess the only thing that got me was the comment of a "field-stretching" TE(lol does this mean Alge Crumpler too?) is better than a game-changing, field general for the defense linebacker? Every team does not have a "Hawk" type linebacker, hell I can't think of more then 10 teams that do.

garbage

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 05:23 PM

I was bounced around from Hawk to Davis but ultimately I liked Davis. I was wrong.

Vernon Davis has all those athletic skills and prior to the draft it wasn't wrong to see that. he was an intriguing option, but we had a lot of need to solidify at LBer's and AJ Hawk was the obvious choice.

TT made the right and obvious move on that pick for our future.

4and12to12and4
08-06-2007, 06:43 PM
I can't believe anyone here could even begin to suggest that Vernon Davis is worth even half of Hawk's worth. And, furthermore, Davis did much of nothing last year, after most predicted he could come in and be an immediate impact player. BTW, Hawk WAS an immediate impact player with over 150 tackles. And he should be outstanding this year. He could easily get into the ProBowl if his sacks and interceptions go up this year. I thought this was a dead issue by now, a no-brainer.

Scott Campbell
08-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Back to the original topic, Indy might take a chance on Tank Johnson.

BallHawk
08-06-2007, 06:57 PM

Agreed. I'd put the chances at 75/25 in favor of Tank.

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 07:55 PM

Agreed. I'd put the chances at 75/25 in favor of Tank.

I was looking at their roster today and they are suspect at DT now.

Joemailman
08-06-2007, 08:06 PM
With all the reports about Pickett being out of shape, it could be that the DT starters of the future will be Williams and Harrell. Just because Pickett signed a big contract doesn't mean that he can't lose his starting job or get traded/released.

Deputy Nutz
08-06-2007, 08:17 PM
First, Hawk was a fine choice and had a very good rookie year, he may have struggled a bit in coverage in the beginning, but more than came around at the end of the year. Comparing him to Davis is like comparing apples to oranges, both are going to be pro bowlers for years to come.

Second, the way the history in this league works with trading for veteran players for draft picks warrants at best a third round pick for Willams. Sorry guys but that is the way it works.

Now shut up and clean the kitchen!

RashanGary
08-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Second, the way the history in this league works with trading for veteran players for draft picks warrants at best a third round pick for Willams. Sorry guys but that is the way it works.
!

I can see this. NFL teams probably don't know much about him. He's a very good player though. I really think he's going to break out this year, even moreso than last year. At camp, he looked like the 2nd best DL. bulldog said the same thing from the practice he went to. The guy is big, quick, strong, he's in great condition and he hustles.

If you copied the scrimmage, go back and look at him. On his 2nd play he sacked Rodgers and he was getting either doubled or getting pressure on every snap he played. They definitly needed help to stop him.

Lurker64
08-06-2007, 08:32 PM

My guess is they'll pick up Tank, and a couple of camp cuts or practice squad guys from teams that are in less dire straights at DT.

Deputy Nutz
08-06-2007, 08:42 PM
!

I can see this. NFL teams probably don't know much about him. He's a very good player though. I really think he's going to break out this year, even moreso than last year. At camp, he looked like the 2nd best DL. bulldog said the same thing from the practice he went to. The guy is big, quick, strong, he's in great condition and he hustles.

If you copied the scrimmage, go back and look at him. On his 2nd play he sacked Rodgers and he was getting either doubled or getting pressure on every snap he played. They definitly needed help to stop him.

You missed my point again, unless Williams becomes an All-Pro this year he is worth nothing more than a 3rd round pick. He might turn into a solid above average d-linemen but that doesn't increase his value more than a late first day pick.

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 09:04 PM
http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=34f717f4-c66e-4f9b-8445-3e68ea2c5524

Monday, August 6

TIME TO STEP UP

By John Oehser - Colts.com

With McFarland Injured, Dungy said Others Must Perform

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. – The news wasn’t what anyone around the Colts wanted.

Anthony “Booger” McFarland, a nine-year veteran defensive tackle whose emergence as a leader and run defender helped the Colts to a Super Bowl title last season, has sustained a serious knee injury and will miss significant time, Colts Head Coach Tony Dungy said Monday.

McFarland sustained an injury to the patella tendon, Dungy said.

“We don’t know the full extent of it – it’s serious,” Dungy said following a 2007 Training Camp morning practice at the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology.

But the Colts have been in this situation before, Dungy said.

They have lost key players. They have had serious injuries. They have faced serious adversity.

They faced it last season, Dungy noted, when defensive Corey Simon was lost for the end season – and still, last season ended in the Super Bowl.

“That’s what I reminded the team of today, that we’ve lost guys and other guys have stepped up,” Dungy said.

“We have a lot of young guys who are going to step up,” Colts defensive tackle Raheem Brock said.

“We’ll just move forward.”

Dungy compared the Colts’ approach to the situation to that which they took when tight end Dallas Clark was injured in November of last season.

Clark sustained a knee injury against Philadelphia in late November, an injury first believed to be season-ending. The Colts opted not to put Clark on injured reserve – a move that ends a player’s season – and Clark returned to be a key postseason contributor.

“I’m a little hesitant because last year we had Dallas Clark ready to go on IR,” Dungy said.

“He ended up not having an operation and playing.

“But it’s something where he (McFarland) is not going to be back in the next three or four weeks. It’s a long-term injury. We have some other guys who have to pick up the slack.”

Dungy said surgery is being considered, and that it’s “something I think is going to happen, but we’re still waiting to see.”

Brock, a starting defensive end from 2002-2005, started at tackle last season and is working there again this season.

Third-year veteran Darrell Reid and fifth-year veteran Dan Klecko are the other players on the Colts’ roster with NFL tackle experience.

“Somebody will step to the front,” Dungy said.

“We have Darrell Reid and Klecko and other guys to play,” Brock said.

“Guys are looking good. So we’re not too worried. I have to help them out as much as I can and help get them up to speed. They’re doing fine so far.”

Rookie Keyunta Dawson, a seventh-round selection who has played end and tackle during camp, likely will move inside full-time, Dungy said Monday.

Dawson had two sacks and a fumble recovery in the Colts’ Blue-and-White scrimmage on Saturday. Rookie defensive tackle Quinn Pitcock, a third-round selection, practiced for the first time on Monday.

“I wanted to play as much as I could, so I was going to step up no matter what,” Pitcock said.

McFarland, acquired by the Colts in a midseason trade with the Tampa

Bay Buccaneers last season, started the final 11 regular-season games and all four postseason games. He had 45 tackles for the Colts in the regular season and 2.5 sacks, and had 12 tackles and two sacks in the postseason.

Dungy said not only McFarland’s play, but his leadership, was critical to the Colts’ postseason run.

“He worked hard and became a leader for us last year,” Dungy said.

“To have that kind of a setback is disappointing to the individual, but as far as our team goes, it really is something that we have to move past. That’s what we have to do, but it’s tough for him and tough on the team as a group.”