PDA

View Full Version : ESPN blew the 2006 draft coverage in a major way...

gureski
05-01-2006, 01:53 PM
I wondered if anyone else out there had the same thoughts as I did while watching ESPN's coverage of the 2006 draft. In short, I thought they absolutely blew it. I was extremely disappointed in their coverage of the draft and specifically of their coverage of the Packers selections. They had the most anticipated and talked about draft in years and they pick this draft to change their format? I got the feeling they were trying to reach out to a new demographic with the whole model intro's and the constant fluff pieces about emotional crap that I sure as hell didn't tune in to watch.

I also felt that they downplayed Mel Kiper's role too much in order to allow their cast of idiots like Michael Irvin and Hodge and Salsbury to get their two cents worth in.

When I say they changed their format I mean that they went away from what they've done for years. They went away from a more informative, in-depth analysis of the players and picks and moved more towards the emotion of the event and a more diverse set of opinions from a larger chunk of their staff then usual. It was all pictures of emotional family hugs and tears and if I have to watch Vernon Davis break down again and sob....I'm going to puke! If there's no crying in baseball then that applies double for football!

For years they'd go through at least the first 3 rounds of the draft with the following format...

1. They stop when a pick is being made and announce the pick or explain the trade.

2. Mel Kiper tells everyone what he knows about the background of the player being selected.

3. An immediate roundtable of Boomer, Mel, Tom Jackson and whomever else they have sitting at the main table discuss whether this was a good pick or a bad pick.

4. When available, they go to a correspondent who is at certain teams headquarters, and have the correspondent explain reasoning from the teams as to why they did what they did.

Beyond the Jets and Dolphins, did they have anyone at other cities to bounce back and forth to.

Starting in the second or third round, they didn't stop to announce pick by pick and started grouping and announcing picks. The audience didn't get a player by player run down with background....it was a grouping of players...5 picks or so at a time..and then some reaction to whatever the guys wanted to point out. Of course, the same teams picks got pointed out time and time again. The Packers make big back to back trades and these guys just keep talking about some other crap and they don't even stop to explain what's going on? No special analysis of what was happening...

It was just crap coverage all around. Kiper started to talk about how he had Jennings ranked as high as Jackson and suddenly he's cut off so that some other bozo can talk or because they ran out of time and had to go to commercial. It was just garbage. I didn't get the normal insight that I crave and watch the draft for. I was severely disappointed. It's been over a decade since the Packers had such an important and early role in the draft and I feel ripped off by ESPN's B.S. coverage. Where was the correspondant in G.B.?

And again, I think it's all because they were trying to appeal to a larger demographic. It was a damn shame.

Oscar
05-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Well said Gureski. I wonder what kinda crap there gonna bring to monday nights?

RashanGary
05-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Wow...I couldn't quite put my finger on why I didn't like the coverage or for the most part just ignored it but you hit it right on the head...

I spent more time reading the posts of Nutz and Harvey because they know a ton about each prospect and were more relevant than the ESPN fluff fest...

That sucked, I agree. It's a good thing we have places like this with people who have good knowledge of many internet sources and take the time to update us when they can.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2006, 02:09 PM
I agree. My wife and I preferred the NFL Channel's coverage of the draft--although I went back and forth between the two when I wasn't on here or babysitting.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2006, 02:10 PM
I spent more time reading the posts of Nutz and Harvey because they know a ton about each prospect and were more relevant than the ESPN fluff fest...

Suck up! I like you better as an antagonist.
:D

RashanGary
05-01-2006, 02:12 PM
I was pretty amazed that you guys knew every friggin prospect...I give credit where credit is due but I also don't pretend to agree when I disagree.

mraynrand
05-01-2006, 02:12 PM
I was watching "The Parent Trap" on the Disney Channel and "Animal cops, MIami" on "Animal Planet" channel. There was this stupid vat technician that reminded me of Michael Irvin. I think they focused too much on the tragedy of the animal owners (living in squalor, etc.) and didn't explain enough about each animal - you know, how fast they can run, how far/high they can jump, etc. Animal Planet has really gone downhill.

Iron Mike
05-01-2006, 02:17 PM
There was this stupid vat technician that reminded me of Michael Irvin.

How does a vat technician remind you of Michael Irvin??? Unless the vat technician is making crystal meth????? :twisted:

Joemailman
05-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Forget ESPN. Next year PackerRats should do their own Draft Show. Rastak, Nutz and Harvey can provide the coverage and analysis. The rest of us will be in the gallery. Every time the Packers make a pick that is not a Wisconsin player, the cameras will Pan to Bretsky in his Wisconsin Badger jersey, booing the pick. Every time the Bears, Vikings or Lions make a pick, the camera will show the rest of us rolling on the floor laughing. :D

billy_oliver880
05-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Forget ESPN. Next year PackerRats should do their own Draft Show. Rastak, Nutz and Harvey can provide the coverage and analysis. The rest of us will be in the gallery. Every time the Packers make a pick that is not a Wisconsin player, the cameras will Pan to Bretsky in his Wisconsin Badger jersey, booing the pick. Every time the Bears, Vikings or Lions make a pick, the camera will show the rest of us rolling on the floor laughing. :D

What cable channel would that be? :mrgreen: Can I talk to my local provider and get it?

Fritz
05-01-2006, 02:46 PM
You're right on, Gureski. I watch the draft so I can see who gets picked, hear a little about each guy from the talking heads, and maybe some roundtable about any draft intrigue (like the Queens forgetting to make their pick a couple of years ago).

I sure as hell don't care about the fluff pieces, nor do I care to see Reggie Bush dressed as a pimp or Vince Young looking like he's wearing a diaper with an "S" on the back of it.

Seemed like everytime the Pack was on the clock, they'd go to commercial. It sucked.

Joemailman
05-01-2006, 02:49 PM

What cable channel would that be? :mrgreen: Can I talk to my local provider and get it?

The Comedy Channel might carry it. :lol:

Tony Oday
05-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Will it be on Direct TV? If not Ill have to cancel the NFL ticket and switch providers ;)

I think they will move to pay per view on this atleast I HOPE they do :)

Chubbyhubby
05-01-2006, 02:57 PM

I'd Hire Henderson to be the guy running the show. He just ripped ESPN guys I loved it!

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2006, 03:04 PM
That would be sweet to get Hendu to make guess appearances on here. Maybe get him to write a column for us. It could be "Inside The Locker Room." Somebody should send him a note. Let him know we loved him on ESPN.

swede
05-01-2006, 03:17 PM
I was watching "The Parent Trap" on the Disney Channel and "Animal cops, MIami" on "Animal Planet" channel. There was this stupid vat technician that reminded me of Michael Irvin. I think they focused too much on the tragedy of the animal owners (living in squalor, etc.) and didn't explain enough about each animal - you know, how fast they can run, how far/high they can jump, etc. Animal Planet has really gone downhill.

Back off AynRand!

I'm the village weirdo here! :evil:

Joemailman
05-01-2006, 03:20 PM
You're right on, Gureski. I watch the draft so I can see who gets picked, hear a little about each guy from the talking heads, and maybe some roundtable about any draft intrigue (like the Queens forgetting to make their pick a couple of years ago).

I sure as hell don't care about the fluff pieces, nor do I care to see Reggie Bush dressed as a pimp or Vince Young looking like he's wearing a diaper with an "S" on the back of it.

Seemed like everytime the Pack was on the clock, they'd go to commercial. It sucked.

Don't forget about the riveting interview with Marcus Vick. Wouldn't have wanted to miss that. At least hey got him off of the street for awhile.

swede
05-01-2006, 03:25 PM

I agree. Coincidence or DISRESPECT!

Who do they think their audience is? Hard core fans like us want hard core facts, up-to-date information, and a little discussion about every pick. Unlike the Superbowl, girlfriends and wives don't make up a third of the audience.

beakerman
05-01-2006, 04:12 PM
I forget her name, but it starts with a Suzy.... how the hell does she have a job? and why the heck do we have to suffer threw her pointless obvious questioning.... Seriously she was on the Sunday Night telecasts doing there sideline reporting as well, everytime she piped in with a comment it was bathroom/beer time...... At least ABC just inserted hot chick here to hold a mike on the sidelines.... please ESPN spare us of this SHE BEAST.....

swede
05-01-2006, 04:19 PM
FWIW, one thing I did like about ESPN's coverage was having the team-by team picks up top and a rolling line of the present round only showing below. You could tune out the drivel and find out what was going on in a pretty big hurry.

FritzDontBlitz
05-01-2006, 04:34 PM
yes i thought the draft coverage was terrible. the players made idiots of themselves posing and flexing while dressed as pimps (THANK GOD aj hawk refused to participate). they kissed up to the same group of players and teams over and over, while basically trashing or calling into question everything the packers did. i don't know how many times i heard "denver gets a good grade for the draft because of the trade to acquire javon walker" or "jay cutler's gonna be going to be helped by throwing to javon walker". not one of the prognosticators even mentioned the fact that walker is still rehabbing a knee injury that caused him to miss an entire season, they talked like he was gonna lead denver to the super bowl singlehandedly. it was pretty bad.

the only highlight of the weekend was big will henderson rising to defend his newly drafted teammates and brett. it sent a huge hush thru the studio, totally awesome.

most of it was typical disney company hype. it'll probably be released on "disney dvd" in a month or so....

MJZiggy
05-01-2006, 05:14 PM
Good. I missed the best part. They'll probably release it with that part edited out.

MadtownPacker
05-01-2006, 07:49 PM
That was seriously the most painful thing to watch, the players making fools of themselves on the mock runway. Im am so proud to say the Hawk turned that shit down and decided to kick it with his family.

Only good part was Henderson tearing up Kiper and Joe Gibbs calling out Salsibury.

MJZiggy
05-01-2006, 08:13 PM
I have a hard enough time trying to keep track of what picks we have and what picks we trade to whom for what. But it makes it more challenging when the little icon on top changes and they DON'T EVEN TELL YOU WHAT'S GOING ON. "Oh look, they've traded that pick" and Michael, how do you think this class will compare with the Cowboys of the 90's?"

Yeesh.

AtlPackFan
05-01-2006, 09:35 PM
There were times at the end of the first day where Irvin and Jackson were being so obnoxious on the set that Berman "shushed" them. Seriously. You could hear the two of them cutting up while Mortenson and Kiper were giving their analysis of picks. It had to be embarrassing for ESPN. Kiper and Mortenson looked liked they were ready to kill. I doubt they will have irvin and Jackson on the set together next year. Either that or they will have to separate them like grade school teachers do with kids that can't behave together. Actually...not a bad analogy...Irvin and a misbehavin' grade schooler.

Tarlam!
05-02-2006, 01:21 AM

Suck up! I like you better as an antagonist.
:D

Well, I only had Sirius NFL radio via the web. That was O.K. in round 1, after that, they spent more time interviewing over the top of selections that I couldn't hear who was picked or what trades were made. On day 2, the NFL.com was 3 picks behind in coverage!

If it weren't for our draft thread, I would still be catching up on who made what picks! TOP JOB Rat-Journo's!!!

Homer Jay
05-02-2006, 01:51 AM
Somebody mentioned Monday Night Football. I have a feeling a future poll question might be: Who made you turn down the sound quicker, Dennis Miller or Tony Kornheiser? The thought of Theismann and Kornheiser in the same booth sends shivers down my back. And not in a good way.

gureski
05-02-2006, 09:49 AM
We need to figure out who and how to contact someone at ESPN to let them know our disdain for the way they handled the draft coverage. If we don't, we're sure to see more of the same next year because I believe the ratings for this draft were great. We can't let them think their change in format worked. The reason ratings were good was because this draft was a great draft to cover and watch. It wasn't their fluff and diverse opinions.

Anyone have any ideas? A writing campaign or e-mail campaign?

It was just sick and I'll be damned if I'm going to let some fast talking producer ruin one of my favorite events of the year so they can sell womens soap and crap during commercials. We need to act on this and take back our draft before it's too late.

MJZiggy
05-02-2006, 10:00 AM
ESPN Television
ESPN Plaza
Bristol, CT 06010
e-mail: ESPN Television

MJZiggy
05-02-2006, 10:02 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=contact/espntv

Comment form on website.

Tear into 'em. (Make sure you mention that Hendo was the best person on the program)

theeaterofshades
05-02-2006, 11:26 AM
I am thouroughly disgusted with this year's draft coverage! The problems were the following:

1) Trades: after the first few trades, it was like you stopped trying to even cover what happened beyond "oh, a trade."
2) Mel Kipper/Mort: Not enough of the analysis of the picks as they happened or who should go for the next pick. This was a staple of past coverage, why wasn't it again?
3)Michael Irvin, Tom Jackson, & Suzy Kolber: Please don't ever allow them near the draft again. They added nothing of importance. In fact Jackson and Irvin actually distracted from the few times when Mel/Mort actually were trying to do their roles. Also, not everyone on the network has to show up on tv, keep it to a limited group.
4) The bright spots were William Henderson calling out all of ESPN. Now that was entertaining and well needed after the horrible mess we were subjected to this weekend. Joe Gibbs' opening comments also were fantastic! He stuck it to Sean.
5) Lack of remotes at draft HQs. Where were they beyond NYJ and MIA?
6) Too much Fluff. Cut the fluff we want a crunchy draft. Facts, figures, real insights...

MJZiggy
05-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Send 'em your thoughts!!

gureski
05-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Alright...I must've missed what Henderson did. I saw several of their spots with Henderson, Green, Holt and I think Salsberry but I didn't see the spot where everyone is saying he ripped ESPN. Someone tell me what happened? Like I said, the coverage was so bad that by day 2 I shut the damn thing off and only turned it on when it was the Packers picks.

gureski
05-02-2006, 04:04 PM
bump...what did Henderson say that lit up ESPN?

swede
05-02-2006, 04:10 PM
As I saw it. commentators, including Jaworski and some old dude, were ripping on Favre for being uncoachable and letting the team down in the offseason by not attending min-camps--thus leading to all the picks. Jaworski said he'd studied every pick and that Favre kept repeating the same mistakes, leading him (Jaws) to the conclusion that Favre was ignoring the coaching staff.

Hendo started disagreeing rather quietly, but then seemed to get a little pissed off. He realized that it was up to him to have Favre and the team's back so he kind of told them, in a civil way, that they were full of shit. He seemed to fill the TV screen with his presence, daring any one to come at Favre that way again.

Partial
05-02-2006, 04:27 PM
I really don't think he pwned them too bad. He just said Kiper said he was the biggest reach in the draft and that he turned out alright, so the viewers should take what he says for what its worth. He said Favre had a rough year, and the team looks forward to getting to camp and getting started. He said the vets would welcome the rooks with open arms. A very well-spoken statement and a true class-act.

Homer Jay
05-02-2006, 04:27 PM
bump...what did Henderson say that lit up ESPN?

If you want to read the comments from this board as it was happening go to page 3 of the topics, find the topic, "running thread of 2006 live draft thread", find page 101. About 2/3s of the way down that page begins a good description of whoopin William gave ESPN. I've looked everywhere I can think of and can't find a link. I'd love to see it again.