View Full Version : Driver Gets Extension AGAIN

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-05-2007, 11:57 PM
Driver receives a raise

Standout veteran gets contract extension

By TOM SILVERSTEIN

tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Aug. 5, 2007

Green Bay - If his body holds up and his mind stays willing, Green Bay Packers wide receiver Donald Driver could become one of the top pass catchers in team history.

And one of the richest, also.

After the second Pro Bowl season of his eight-year career, the 32-year-old Driver has been rewarded again with a contract extension that adds almost $11 million in new money to his existing contract, according to a source with access to NFL Players Association salary data. Much of the money - $7.2 million - is contained in the extra year added to the deal, which might not be earned because Driver will be 35 going into that season.

But the deal boosts his salary through roster and workout bonuses by about $3.8 million over the next three seasons and brings his average per-year salary to about $5.75 million. It is the second time in two years that Driver has seen his contract upgraded despite having multiple years left on the deal.

It is unclear what role Driver played in pushing for a second extension, but he clearly thinks he's deserving of being paid among the top receivers in the league and doesn't want to be sold short. He admitted that it might be unprecedented for the Packers to upgrade a contract in two straight years, but he said he had performed well enough to deserve it.

"I always felt like I was going to be one of the top receivers in the league," Driver said after the club's intrasquad scrimmage Saturday night. "I guess that's how everybody in the world (would) want to get compensated. I feel like I'm a top five receiver in the league. I've been a Green Bay Packer for life.

"That's what you want from the organization that they can see that in you. When you have an organization like that, what other organization would you rather play for? My goal is to (always) be here."

After Driver spoke out about being underpaid before last season, the Packers added two years to his contract, raising the value to $17 million over four years. He made $5.2 million of that last season and was scheduled to make in base salary and roster bonuses another $2.7 million this year, $3.9 million in 2008 and $4.9 million in '09.

With the extension, he can make in base salary and roster bonuses $4.3 million this year, $4.9 million in '08 and $5.9 million in '09. The new roster bonuses are tied to him being on the 45-man active list each week. Any week that he's not on it, he won't receive a prorated portion of the bonus.

There are also off-season workout bonuses that can net him another $200,000 per year.

Because the Packers aren't just handing the money over to Driver in a signing bonus, it's unlikely to cause too much of a rumbling in the locker room among players who would like their contracts upgraded. Driver responded to the extension last year by having the best season of his career (92 catches for 1,295 yards and eight touchdowns) and establishing himself as one of the only indispensable players on the team.

The team has refused to extend or upgrade the contracts of cornerback Mike McKenzie, receiver Javon Walker and running back Ahman Green in past years, but they've established a policy of rewarding veteran players like Driver and Al Harris with performance-based pay increases.

"I think everyone in this locker room, once they find out, they may feel like I deserve it," Driver said. "And I'm hoping that's how it is. I'm hoping no one gets upset and says they feel like they deserve one. If they feel like they deserve one, then I respect them if they do get one."

General manager Ted Thompson declined to comment on Driver's extension.

Driver said his goal was to finish his career with the Packers as one of the most productive receivers in club history.

Going into this season, Driver has 421 career catches for 5,929 yards and 36 touchdowns. He has caught a pass in 80 consecutive regular-season games.

The three club records he'd like to beat are Sterling Sharpe's career reception mark of 595, Sharpe's consecutive game reception total of 103 and James Lofton's receiving yards record of 9,656.

He'd also like to become part of the most prolific passing touchdown combination in club history. To do so, he would need to catch 24 touchdown passes from Brett Favre to surpass the Favre-Antonio Freeman total of 57.

"I have goals," Driver said. "I have one of the greatest quarterbacks throwing the ball to me. You look at those guys as Hall of Famers, and I know if I can continue this streak and continue doing what I'm doing, maybe I can be there."

A seventh-round pick by former general manager Ron Wolf, who marveled last weekend at the fact Driver is closing in on records held by Lofton and Sharpe, Driver is not only indispensable on the field, but also in the leadership department.

The Packers have a fairly young receiving corps and they should feel fortunate to have a role model like the hard-practicing, hard-playing Driver. If he can stay healthy, Driver said he'd like to play at least another three or four more years, and he would like Favre to be there for all of them.

The one thing Driver doesn't have is something that many Packers he's played with during his tenure already earned: a Super Bowl ring.

"My goal is to get to the Super Bowl," Driver said. "(No.) 4 has one. I'd like one, too. Antonio Freeman, (Robert) Brooks, William (Henderson), Brett, Frankie (Winters), 'Chewey' (Mark Chmura), they all have one and all have been there. I'm just hoping I can get there and win that Super Bowl. It would put a big smile on my face."

the_idle_threat
08-06-2007, 12:27 AM
Good to see some cap room being put to good use.

Might see a similar thing happen with Kampman in the next offseason if he keeps his production up to Pro Bowl standards.

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 01:34 AM
This is really positive.

We should expect Favre to be extended any day now. :)

Lurker64
08-06-2007, 01:39 AM
I'm happy that Driver got an extension (and I'd like to see Kampman get one too), I'm just wondering why we can't use any of our cap space to work out an extension on Williams who's potentially not on this team after this year if he doesn't get one.

Anyway, congrats to Driver!

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 01:56 AM
I'm happy that Driver got an extension (and I'd like to see Kampman get one too), I'm just wondering why we can't use any of our cap space to work out an extension on Williams who's potentially not on this team after this year if he doesn't get one.

Anyway, congrats to Driver!

It's v. difficult to read TT.

I hope we don't make a mistake with Cory Williams.

ie trade him just for a draft pick. We need this DT in our rotation and he's still developing.

the_idle_threat
08-06-2007, 01:59 AM
I'm not sure that Williams is nearly as good as many folks on this board think. He's not very stout against the run, for one thing. That's pretty important for a DT.

He got a lot of sacks last year, but then again there was pressure coming from Kampman and KGB and Cullen Jenkins (who is a better player IMO) and I wonder if Williams lucked into more than a couple of those sacks.

If he continues to be one of the top inside pass rushers again this season, then maybe it's not a fluke and he's worth a deal. Otherwise, he's asking to be paid as a top inside pass rusher based upon some lucky breaks, and I can see where they wanna be careful with that.

Lurker64
08-06-2007, 02:13 AM

I hope we don't make a mistake with Williams.

ie trade him just for a draft pick. We need this DT anyway.

If I had to guess, TT is playing coy with Williams. By not offering him an extension this offseason, he's given him a "contract year" or at least a tangible incentive to play out of his mind this year. It's entirely likely that once the season starts, and assuming Williams is playing well, that TT will swoop in and offer him a good offer on an extension. If he's not playing well (unlikely but possible) the lack of progress on an extension might be enough to motivate him.

But yeah, Thompson is hard to read. He went down to the wire on extending Kampman his RFA season didn't he? I wonder if that's his modus operandi or just him learning on the job.

RashanGary
08-06-2007, 06:04 AM
Corey Williams is restricted next year. This is the last year of his rookie contract, but it's not the last year we have him locked up. Tags essentially make it very hard for any team to pick up the player. I would expect we see Corey Williams deal before a game is played next year.

RashanGary
08-06-2007, 06:07 AM
You know Kampman is next. That is the only grossly underpaid player we have now. Adding 1.25 million per year to Kampmans deal would still be a bargain.

This isn't bad as long as it doesn't get out of hand. You do this with players that really deserve it, not any player that comes in. Also, it's nice to see it done within reason. It's not like he gave Driver 10 million per year with this upgrade. He's still underpaid, just not as underpaid.

KYPack
08-06-2007, 07:14 AM
Corey Williams is restricted next year. This is the last year of his rookie contract, but it's not the last year we have him locked up. Tags essentially make it very hard for any team to pick up the player. I would expect we see Corey Williams deal before a game is played next year.

Pretty sure this is wrong. This from JSO thru Craig Phephles of cap page fame:

"This is a contract year for Corey and it's well documented that
players in their contract years play well to cash-in. I think Corey
will accomplish that likely goal. Thus, they could easily lose him via
2008 UFA. However, I certainly don't know for sure whether they
will/won't pursue him further (or if the window is closed). This leads
me to think maybe they can trade him this year. I think he has trade
value and they could go on a fishing expedition although I'm not sure
how much they could catch for him. If I think Colin Cole can be the
#4 DT then I definitely try to peddle Corey Williams.

Here's the guys whose contract expires after 2007:
----UFA]----
Corey Williams
Rob Davis
Tracy White
Tyson Walter
Donald Lee
----[RFA]----
Vernand Morency
Patrick Dendy
Noah Herron
Dave Rayner
----[RFA]----
Atari Bigby
Ruvell Martin
Jason Hunter
Chris Francies
Tony Palmer
Zac Alcorn
Travis Leffew
P.J. Pope
Brandon Miree"

Scott Campbell
08-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Corey Williams is restricted next year. This is the last year of his rookie contract, but it's not the last year we have him locked up. Tags essentially make it very hard for any team to pick up the player.

Pretty sure this is wrong.

The 2007 season will be Williams 4th.

From NFL.com

Unrestricted veteran free agents are players who have completed four or more accrued seasons of service and whose contracts have expired. They are free to sign with any club through July 22 (or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later). On July 23, their exclusive rights will revert to their original club if that club made a June 1 tender to these players. Teams will have until the Tuesday after the 10th week of the season (Nov. 13) to sign their unrestricted veteran free agents to whom a tender was made on June 1. If the player does not sign by Nov. 13, he must continue to sit out the remainder of the season. If a June 1 tender is not made to an unrestricted free agent, he continues to be free to sign with any club.

Restricted free agents are players who have completed three accrued seasons of service and whose contracts have expired. They have received qualifying offers from their old clubs and are free to negotiate with any club until April 20, at which time their rights revert to their original club. If a player accepts an offer from a new club, the old club will have the right to match the offer and retain the player. If the old club elects not to match the offer, it may receive draft-choice compensation depending on the level of the qualifying offer made to the player.

retailguy
08-06-2007, 08:04 AM

Being right is not important. It's all about how you feel.

RashanGary
08-06-2007, 09:05 AM
OK, it's three years, not four. I stand corrected. With that in mind, you would hope something is getting worked on. Corey Williams is a very good player. I would hate to see him get to UFA where he would undoubtedly get more than he is worth.

PackerBlues
08-06-2007, 10:09 AM
:wow: I have to say, this was unexpected. Other than Favre and Kampman, I dont know of anyone more deserving of an extension and more money than Donald Driver. I have, heh heh....... bitched and moaned..... about Thompsons moves (or lack thereof) as much as anyone. Hate to admit it, but old Teddy really suprised me with this move. If he keeps making smart moves like this, I may actually gain a little respect for him. Now if only he could find a free agent that will help our chances to get to the playoffs this year....

(lol, I hope Thompson is not dealing with Driver the way he dealt with Sherman. Extend a contract, then fire the guy.)

Anyone know where this puts us in cap space now? Other than Williams, if the spare cap room is not intended for a free agent, who else is worth signing. Personally, I would not mind seeing Williams traded off if Harrell is as good as Thompson thinks he is. Good DT's are hard to come by, and we seem to have an over abundance. Otherwise, if he could unload KGB in a decent trade, that would be nice too, I never have liked having "situational" players taking up roster spots.

Rastak
08-06-2007, 10:19 AM
OK, it's three years, not four. I stand corrected. With that in mind, you would hope something is getting worked on. Corey Williams is a very good player. I would hate to see him get to UFA where he would undoubtedly get more than he is worth.

I would assume he'd get what the market bears which IS what he is worth.

If the Packers lock him up earlier, they'd probably get a discount off what he's worth.

RashanGary
08-06-2007, 10:25 AM
I would assume he'd get what the market bears which IS what he is worth.

If the Packers lock him up earlier, they'd probably get a discount off what he's worth.

And in the highly competitive world of the NFL, every edge counts. If everyone has the same money and gets the same talent for the money, nobody would rise to the top. Some teams have more talent but they spend no more than the teams with less. They just find ways to get more for their money.

Scott Campbell
08-06-2007, 12:02 PM

(RG) - thanks again for your infinite words of wisdom. Piece of advice - You really need a new line. Your tired sarcasm is no longer working... 2000 post is about enough of the same old same old. You might actually have to (explain why you aren't a hypocrite). :shock:

And even more evidence of hypocracy.

retailguy
08-06-2007, 12:47 PM

(RG) - thanks again for your infinite words of wisdom. Piece of advice - You really need a new line. Your tired sarcasm is no longer working... 2000 post is about enough of the same old same old. You might actually have to (explain why you aren't a hypocrite). :shock:

That's all you've got? Why don't you point to a post where you've expressed what YOU think about the 2007 season? Then, the rest of us can point to 500 of those 3300 posts where you ridiculed other peoples opinions.

Quite frankly, I've done nothing more than treat you the way you treat others.... Maybe you ought to think about that... You are a clear example of someone who can "dish it out" but can't take it.

Besides what I think about this team, and its chances for 2007 is WELL documented. Can't say the same for you, but we CAN say that you've ridiculed PLENTY of other opinions including mine..

Scott Campbell
08-06-2007, 12:55 PM

You are a liar.

That's all you've got? Why don't you point to a post where you've expressed what YOU think about the 2007 season? Then, the rest of us can point to 500 of those 3300 posts where you ridiculed other peoples opinions.

Quite frankly, I've done nothing more than treat you the way you treat others.... Maybe you ought to think about that... You are a clear example of someone who can "dish it out" but can't take it.

Besides what I think about this team, and its chances for 2007 is WELL documented. Can't say the same for you, but we CAN say that you've ridiculed PLENTY of other opinions including mine..

retailguy
08-06-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm sure there is some sarcastic point to reposting my post without adding something, but sarcasm and ridicule don't come naturally to me like it does to you, so, o great one, you'll have to educate me.... again. :wink:

Scott Campbell
08-06-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm sure there is some sarcastic point to reposting my post without adding something, but sarcasm and ridicule don't come naturally to me like it does to you, so, o great one, you'll have to educate me.... again. :wink:

No point really........just screwin with you little buddy.

retailguy
08-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Damn, and here I was hoping for something deep. Rats.

Scott Campbell
08-06-2007, 01:32 PM

Tell the truth, you're always hoping for some more of this - aren't ya?

http://www.packerforum.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10289/normal_sherman_sleep.jpg

retailguy
08-06-2007, 01:50 PM

Tell the truth, you're always hoping for some more of this - aren't ya?

http://www.packerforum.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10289/normal_sherman_sleep.jpg

While I'm a little tired of the photo today, truth be told, I enjoyed it when I first saw it. It is one of those true "gotcha" moments that we all dread.

I'm not the "Total Sherman Lover" you and others seem to think I am, it is no secret that I think he got a raw deal here, but if you're going to make a change, you make a total change. Whether Harlan bringing in Thompson was a mistake or not, I think we can all agree that once he decided to bring Thompson in, the BIGGER mistake was leaving Sherman as Coach.

It had to be miserable working in that building during the 2005 season, regardless of what anyone thought of either man.

I think history will show that was Harlan's biggest mistake, unless ole Ted turns out to be the disaster that some think he is..... (I'm not in that group, I have said repeatedly that I don't like the short-term aspect of the plan, but long term (maybe 2008, but for sure 2009)I have higher hopes for this team). I have NO expectations on this 2007 squad. I'm hoping for some improvement, but won't really be surprised if this team struggles mightily, especially in the beginning of the season.

Carolina_Packer
08-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I still don't understand why TT was left with the decision to keep or fire Sherman after he was hired in Jan 2005.

Sherman had just come off of a 10-6 season in 2004, albeit he was bounced from the wild card at home against the Vikes (the Moon shot game). I don't recall what month after TT started, but he extended Sherman, which I thought was curious. Why not just see how he does in your first season as GM and then decide based on the results?

Is there an unwritten rule that says you can't have a HC with an expiring contract?

Would TT have kept Sherman if he had had another 10 win, playoff season, or would he have "gone in a different direction" as he did after the 4-12 anyway?

Did he really want to extend him, or was that a smokescreen to keep the club's confidence up that all was fine? Why would he have needed a smokescreen? Why not just say, let's see how this season goes and deal with it after?

Sherman had one horrible, injury-plagued year, finishes 4-12 and gets shown the door. I still wonder if he was going to go no matter what record he had (barring a deep playoff run or the Super Bowl, obviously).

OK, OK, water under the bridge, and I think we are better off in the long run. Sherman had his chance and basically, in my mind, fired himself by being an overall bum as a GM. The straw that broke the camel's back was moving up, drafting a one year wonder of a punter and then in an embarrassing move having to keep two active punters because the drafted one sucked so bad. It was living proof that the man didn't know what he was doing and needed to be stopped.

That is why the horrible dual-role of HC and GM should ONLY be given to the absolute slam-dunk right guy. Not some guy who is barely experienced as a HC, as Sherman was. That was one of the more curious moves by Harlan and recommendations by Wolf. If Harlan and Wolf had just had more foresight, we could have had better succession when it came to Holmgren. I wonder who was available after the 98 season that would have been running the WC offense? It would have been hard to keep Holmgren under wraps; Seattle just had this incredible offer, and I can't blame him for jumping. I do stop sometimes and wonder who we could have gotten as HC after Holmgren, instead of Ray Rhodes.

The Leaper
08-06-2007, 03:50 PM
That is why the horrible dual-role of HC and GM should ONLY be given to the absolute slam-dunk right guy.

I don't think the dual-role should ever be granted. There is simply too much responsibility between the two positions...and their focus is just entirely different. I don't think there has really been a great example of a dual-role ever being successful...especially in the free agency era.

KYPack
08-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I still don't understand why TT was left with the decision to keep or fire Sherman after he was hired in Jan 2005.

Sherman had just come off of a 10-6 season in 2004, albeit he was bounced from the wild card at home against the Vikes (the Moon shot game). I don't recall what month after TT started, but he extended Sherman, which I thought was curious. Why not just see how he does in your first season as GM and then decide based on the results?

Is there an unwritten rule that says you can't have a HC with an expiring contract?

Would TT have kept Sherman if he had had another 10 win, playoff season, or would he have "gone in a different direction" as he did after the 4-12 anyway?

Did he really want to extend him, or was that a smokescreen to keep the club's confidence up that all was fine? Why would he have needed a smokescreen? Why not just say, let's see how this season goes and deal with it after?

Sherman had one horrible, injury-plagued year, finishes 4-12 and gets shown the door. I still wonder if he was going to go no matter what record he had (barring a deep playoff run or the Super Bowl, obviously).

OK, OK, water under the bridge, and I think we are better off in the long run. Sherman had his chance and basically, in my mind, fired himself by being an overall bum as a GM. The straw that broke the camel's back was moving up, drafting a one year wonder of a punter and then in an embarrassing move having to keep two active punters because the drafted one sucked so bad. It was living proof that the man didn't know what he was doing and needed to be stopped.

That is why the horrible dual-role of HC and GM should ONLY be given to the absolute slam-dunk right guy. Not some guy who is barely experienced as a HC, as Sherman was. That was one of the more curious moves by Harlan and recommendations by Wolf. If Harlan and Wolf had just had more foresight, we could have had better succession when it came to Holmgren. I wonder who was available after the 98 season that would have been running the WC offense? It would have been hard to keep Holmgren under wraps; Seattle just had this incredible offer, and I can't blame him for jumping. I do stop sometimes and wonder who we could have gotten as HC after Holmgren, instead of Ray Rhodes.

I buy 100 % of your post.

Wolf takes a shot in all of this, he helped botch the Sherman as GM situation as much as Harlan.

Harlan should've replaced Hatley after his untimely death.

Sherman was a handicapped by the fact that the Coach/GM model with one man doing one job fails by it's structure. Shermie the GM made short term, short sighted decisions to help his buddy, Sherman the coach.

I liked Sherman the person, but when it all failed he had to go.

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 06:05 PM

I hope we don't make a mistake with Williams.

ie trade him just for a draft pick. We need this DT anyway.

If I had to guess, TT is playing coy with Williams. By not offering him an extension this offseason, he's given him a "contract year" or at least a tangible incentive to play out of his mind this year. It's entirely likely that once the season starts, and assuming Williams is playing well, that TT will swoop in and offer him a good offer on an extension. If he's not playing well (unlikely but possible) the lack of progress on an extension might be enough to motivate him.

But yeah, Thompson is hard to read. He went down to the wire on extending Kampman his RFA season didn't he? I wonder if that's his modus operandi or just him learning on the job.

TT shows a lot of the signs that he is on his learning curvre, and that is simply normal and OK for him to at least admit as much to himself if not in public. :)

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 06:14 PM
:wow: I have to say, this was unexpected. Other than Favre and Kampman, I dont know of anyone more deserving of an extension and more money than Donald Driver. I have, heh heh....... bitched and moaned..... about Thompsons moves (or lack thereof) as much as anyone. Hate to admit it, but old Teddy really suprised me with this move. If he keeps making smart moves like this, I may actually gain a little respect for him. Now if only he could find a free agent that will help our chances to get to the playoffs this year....

(lol, I hope Thompson is not dealing with Driver the way he dealt with Sherman. Extend a contract, then fire the guy.)

Anyone know where this puts us in cap space now? Other than Williams, if the spare cap room is not intended for a free agent, who else is worth signing. Personally, I would not mind seeing Williams traded off if Harrell is as good as Thompson thinks he is. Good DT's are hard to come by, and we seem to have an over abundance. Otherwise, if he could unload KGB in a decent trade, that would be nice too, I never have liked having "situational" players taking up roster spots.

We have to be patient with TT.

Recall the way he handled Al Harris last season. Hopefully the same should apply to Cory Williams. We arn't all that deep at DT even though it's a strength for us.

TT will be looking carefully at Williams and Morency this season for an extension.

If Dave Rayner wins the kicking job he will also go on that watch list I expect.

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 06:43 PM
I've got a hunch that there might have been issues between Mike Sherman and Ted Thompson throughout the 2005 season. :)

4-12 was just a good (if not totally viable) excuse for a quick exit.

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Don't. . . we love this guy !!

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/aug07/tdriver0805.jpg

GrnBay007
08-06-2007, 09:02 PM

Thanks for getting the thread back on track Woody! :D

I love that Driver got the extension.......he's a true Packer!! :clap: :cow:

RashanGary
08-06-2007, 09:10 PM
McCarthy had a post practice press conference today. The first question he fielded was on Driver. If you watch him and listen to him, you can hear how proud he is of Driver.

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 09:11 PM

Thanks for getting the thread back on track Woody! :D

I love that Driver got the extension.......he's a true Packer!! :clap: :cow:

I became a fan of his the day we drafted him, GrnBay007.

He was a raw talent but beat great odds against him as he grew up. He came to us with very good athletic ability the a super attitude.

GO Donald !! :)