PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Reports- August 6th

BallHawk
08-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Some observations from today's full pads practice:

-- The heat must be getting to some of the players. With temperatures hovering around 90 degrees and high humidity levels, linebacker Nick Barnett and rookie offensive guard Allen Barbre got into a wrestling match following a play during a team drill. Barnett had to be pulled away by teammate Charles Woodson while Barbre was on the ground and seen kicking Barnett during the scrum.

-- Patrick Dendy is lining up as the No. 3 cornerback during team drills today. Dendy had a nice play, knocking a pass from the grasp of Donald Driver on a slant route with Brett Favre at quarterback.

-- The defensive backs held the upper hand over the receivers during a one-on-one passing drill. Just seven of 15 passes were completed during the drill. Safety Tyrone Culver turned in the highlight of the drill when he recovered to break up a hitch route to Carlyle Holliday. Shaun Bodiford had the most impressive catch among the receivers, with an outstretched grab along the sidelines against cornerback Jarrett Bush.

-- The kickers were called back into duty with Dave Rayner making two of two from long distance. Rayner converted on field goals of 50 and 53 yards. Mason Crosby was one of two, missing wide right from 50 yards, but following up by making a 53-yarder.

-- Cornerback Will Blackmon forced a fumble against tight end Zac Alcorn. Blackmon stripped the ball, which flew up into the air and into the hands of linebacker Spencer Havner.

Bretsky
08-06-2007, 06:38 PM
It seems like we have two capable kickers. May have to start a poll to see who the braintrust around here thinks will win the job

Scott Campbell
08-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Sounds like Rayner is kicking really well.

RashanGary
08-06-2007, 06:44 PM
I was thinking Rayner the whole way but Crosby has turned it on a bit as of late. I just want the most reliable of the two. They both have really strong legs so leg strenght doesn't factor in at all to me. I've watched both kick and I don't think Crosby kicks any harder than Rayner. Crosby kicks line drives that go 5 yard farther but Rayner kicks it higher and gives his coverage team a better chance to make plays. I acctually give Rayner the edge on kickoffs but it's too close to let it be a factor. My the most reliable FG kicker win.

Lurker64
08-06-2007, 06:45 PM
It'll be interesting if Rayner and Crosby continue to be fairly close throughout camp, whether Thompson will go Rayner because he's shown he can kick under pressure at Lambeau in an NFL game, or go with Crosby because in his rookie camp he's already comparable to a "proven veteran" in Rayner.

The two kickers are too similar to keep both of them, so it'll be interesting.

The Leaper
08-06-2007, 07:06 PM
At some point, you would think there will have to be separation between them...but maybe it will remain neck and neck all of camp. That would make it really interesting.

Rayner certainly hit the wall last year. He only missed 3 FGs in the first 9 games, then missed 6 FGs in the last 7 games...and was 5-for-9 in FGs in Nov/Dec in Lambeau. He really wasn't all that reliable once the weather cooled off. A 75% average kicking FGs in the NFL isn't all that great.

I've always maintained that because Rayner has some NFL experience under his belt, he is the one who needs to clearly win the competition due to his performance last year and circumstances. Rayner should be ahead of Crosby in terms of kicking with the K balls and knowing the prevailing winds in Green Bay. If Rayner can't beat Crosby, then you have to assume the rookie is more talented...and will become better than Rayner as he adapts and gains experience.

vince
08-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Definitely an interesting competition. I get the sense that Rayner is winning, but he has had to improve his accuracy from last year in order to do so. Originally, I felt that Crosby would come out on top because Rayner hasn't been the most accurate kicker to date. At this point, and contrary to this stage last year, I'm confident in whichever one comes out on top.

The winner will be much better off for having been pushed throughout the offseason.