PDA

View Full Version : Traing Camp News - Monday Aug. 7, 2007

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Offense shows up defense in pass-rushing drills

The offense was the clear winner during one-on-one pass-rushing drills. The defensive linemen clearly won only four of 20 snaps.

Johnny Jolly won two of those reps -- one vs. rookie guard Allen Barbre and the other against center C.J. Blomvall. Mark Tauscher and Aaron Kampman normally go up against each other once per day -- this time Kampman was the winner.

First-round draft pick Justin Harrell took three reps but didn’t win any of them -- two against Tony Palmer, one against Pat Murray. Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila lost both of his reps against backup left tackle Orrin Thompson. Starting left tackle Chad Clifton didn’t participate in the drill.

In another kicking drill, Dave Rayner converted on six of seven field goals, while Mason Crosby made seven of seven. Rayner’s miss was wide left from 28 yards.

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Barnett, Barbre get into wrestling match; Dendy lines up at No. 3 cornerback

Some observations from today's full pads practice:

-- The heat must be getting to some of the players. With temperatures hovering around 90 degrees and high humidity levels, linebacker Nick Barnett and rookie offensive guard Allen Barbre got into a wrestling match following a play during a team drill. Barnett had to be pulled away by teammate Charles Woodson while Barbre was on the ground and seen kicking Barnett during the scrum.

Patrick Dendy is lining up as the No. 3 cornerback during team drills today. Dendy had a nice play, knocking a pass from the grasp of Donald Driver on a slant route with Brett Favre at quarterback.

The defensive backs held the upper hand over the receivers during a one-on-one passing drill.

Just seven of 15 passes were completed during the drill. Safety Tyrone Culver turned in the highlight of the drill when he recovered to break up a hitch route to Carlyle Holliday. Shaun Bodiford had the most impressive catch among the receivers, with an outstretched grab along the sidelines against cornerback Jarrett Bush.

The kickers were called back into duty with Dave Rayner making two of two from long distance. Rayner converted on field goals of 50 and 53 yards.

Mason Crosby was one of two, missing wide right from 50 yards, but following up by making a 53-yarder.

Cornerback Will Blackmon forced a fumble against tight end Zac Alcorn. Blackmon stripped the ball, which flew up into the air and into the hands of linebacker Spencer Havner.

-- Filed by Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com, and Mike Vandermause, mvandermause@greenbaypressgazette.com

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Punters, kickers go at it this afternoon

Punting from their own 25 downwind, Jon Ryan averaged 52.3 yards and 4.51 seconds of hang time on nine punts. Ryan Dougherty averaged 43.8 yards and 4.37 seconds of hang time, also on nine punts.

Rookie Mason Crosby converted on two of two field goals from 48 and 51 yards. Dave Rayner was one of two, missing wide left from 48 and making good on the 51-yarder.

posted by PackersNews.com at 2:55 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Franks back at practice after eye injury

Tight end Bubba Franks is practicing today at Clarke Hinkle Field, six days after sustaining a scratched cornea at City Stadium. Guard Daryn Colledge and defensive end DeVon Hicks are sitting out for the first time. Linebacker Rory Johnson (abdomen) and running back Vernand Morency (knee) continue to sit out.

Tight end Clark Harris (sprained ankle) and running back P.J. Pope, who injured his knee in Saturday's scrimmage, are not in attendance.

Also back are cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Al Harris, who both sat out Saturday night’s scrimmage.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

GO PACKERS !

Lurker64
08-06-2007, 08:24 PM
The kickers were called back into duty with Dave Rayner making two of two from long distance. Rayner converted on field goals of 50 and 53 yards.

Mason Crosby was one of two, missing wide right from 50 yards, but following up by making a 53-yarder.

Rookie Mason Crosby converted on two of two field goals from 48 and 51 yards. Dave Rayner was one of two, missing wide left from 48 and making good on the 51-yarder.

Wow, they are neck-and-neck aren't they?

MasonCrosby
08-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Some observations from today's full pads practice:

-- The heat must be getting to some of the players. With temperatures hovering around 90 degrees and high humidity levels, linebacker Nick Barnett and rookie offensive guard Allen Barbre got into a wrestling match following a play during a team drill. Barnett had to be pulled away by teammate Charles Woodson while Barbre was on the ground and seen kicking Barnett during the scrum.

well that's just awesome... teammates fighting, what's gotten into barnett lately, what with that nightclub incident and all???

Lurker64
08-06-2007, 08:30 PM
well that's just awesome... teammates fighting, what's gotten into barnett lately, what with that nightclub incident and all???

Doesn't this always happen at every team's training camp every year anyway?

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 08:33 PM

Wow, they are neck-and-neck aren't they?

It's a very close fight. Both are doing very well too. It's all good so far.

It may be decided after the second pre season game so that the one who's cut may move on to another team for another opportunity this season.

TT is fair that way.

RashanGary
08-06-2007, 08:34 PM
I think this one will go to the end and whoever gets cut will get scooped up no matter how much time is left. The Packers have two kickers taht I like better than Longwell right now.

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 08:38 PM
I think this one will go to the end and whoever gets cut will get scooped up no matter how much time is left. The Packers have two kickers taht I like better than Longwell right now.

You make a good point there.

It'll be a disappointment to Dave Rayner if he's cut as he seems better this season.

MadtownPacker
08-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Whats the fuss about? Barnett isn't stabbing someone or shooting them. He isn't doing anything that will get him suspended or put in jail. I kinda like the idea of him toughening up.

But...
He better bring this angry shit on to the field this season. He always has had the tools. He has gotten better each season despite constant changes of DC and now its time for him to let it all out. He got his big bank on now its time to go to work. I expect ALOT out of him this season. He needs to be Probowl good. Anything else and I will consider him a failure.

Cheesehead Craig
08-06-2007, 09:42 PM
TT is fair that way.
Dear heavens, bookmark this post everyone! Woodbuck just said something nice about TT! :wink:

Joemailman
08-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Offense shows up defense in pass-rushing drills

The offense was the clear winner during one-on-one pass-rushing drills. The defensive linemen clearly won only four of 20 snaps.

Johnny Jolly won two of those reps -- one vs. rookie guard Allen Barbre and the other against center C.J. Blomvall. Mark Tauscher and Aaron Kampman normally go up against each other once per day -- this time Kampman was the winner.

First-round draft pick Justin Harrell took three reps but didn’t win any of them -- two against Tony Palmer, one against Pat Murray. Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila lost both of his reps against backup left tackle Orrin Thompson. Starting left tackle Chad Clifton didn’t participate in the drill.

In another kicking drill, Dave Rayner converted on six of seven field goals, while Mason Crosby made seven of seven. Rayner’s miss was wide left from 28 yards.

GO PACKERS !

Rayner made 6 of 7, but that miss from 28 is reminiscent of late last season. Both of these guys have strong legs, so consistency could be a key.

Bretsky
08-06-2007, 09:54 PM
TT is fair that way.
Dear heavens, bookmark this post everyone! Woodbuck just said something nice about TT! :wink:

Danget Woody, get up now, take that glass over the the toilet, and flush the Kool Aide down :lol:

CaliforniaCheez
08-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Barbre isn't going to take any bull from some undersized linebacker.

I actually like that he has some attitude.

TopHat
08-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Monday wrap-up

The Packers' depth chart, released today for Saturday's preseason opener at Pittsburgh, featured a handful of minor changes, most of which already have been reflected in practice.

-- Zac Alcorn has replaced Clark Harris as the No. 3 tight end;
-- James Jones has replaced Robert Ferguson as one of the No. 2 receivers (Ruvell Martin remains the other);
-- DeShawn Wynn has replaced P.J. Pope as the No. 4 running back; and
-- Korey Hall has replaced Ryan Powdrell as the No. 2 fullback.

All the replaced players dropped one spot. Also, Greg Jennings (not Charles Woodson) now is listed as the punt returner, and David Clowney (not Vernand Morency) has joined Shaun Bodiford as one of the top two kick returners.

Elsewhere ...

-- Tight end Bubba Franks wore a protective eye shield on his helmet during practice, but coach Mike McCarthy said he doesn't expect Franks to wear one during games. Frank would need permission from the NFL to do that.

-- Dropping 'em like they're hot: Donald Lee, Bodiford.

-- Converted basketball player Joe Werner had a couple of positive moments. Most notable was a play in 7-on-7 in which he got behind Patrick Dendy down the seam for a big gain. However, safety Nick Collins stripped him near the goal line. Werner still is well beyond a long shot to make the team.

-- And your passing stats (7-on-7 in parentheses): Brett Favre 22-for-29 (6-for-10); Rodgers 6-for-7 (12-for-21); Ingle Martin 5-for-7, INT (1-for-2); and Paul Thompson 1-for-1 (1-for-1).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pope has knee surgery

Packers running back P.J. Pope had arthroscopic knee surgery and likely will miss a couple of weeks, coach Mike McCarthy said after practice today. Pope hurt the knee in Saturday’s scrimmage. With Vernand Morency also out with a knee injury, the Packers likely will have only three running backs plus fullback Corey White to carry the ball in Saturday’s preseason opener at Pittsburgh.

Other injury news:

-- Left guard Darren Colledge has a mid-back sprain. McCarthy said he hopes Colledge will practice Tuesday.

-- Receiver Greg Jennings dropped out of practice today because of a hip flexor problem. McCarthy said Jennings’ hip has been sore the past week. Jennings also missed time during OTAs with a similar injury.

-- Tackle Tony Moll has a shoulder stinger.

-- Lastly McCarthy said he was not sure why defensive end DeVon Hicks did not practice today.

MasonCrosby
08-07-2007, 05:57 AM
Whats the fuss about? Barnett isn't stabbing someone or shooting them. He isn't doing anything that will get him suspended or put in jail. I kinda like the idea of him toughening up.

But...
He better bring this angry shit on to the field this season. He always has had the tools. He has gotten better each season despite constant changes of DC and now its time for him to let it all out. He got his big bank on now its time to go to work. I expect ALOT out of him this season. He needs to be Probowl good. Anything else and I will consider him a failure.

i don't know i just don't ever feel good about it, it seems there's so many NFL players that keep getting into the news the wrong way like Vick, PacMan Jones, and the entire Bengals team that it just makes me nervous.

yeah i'd like him to put this machismo out on the field in game day so i can see Mcnabb run like a chicken...

woodbuck27
08-07-2007, 06:24 AM
TT is fair that way.

Danget Woody, get up now, take that glass over the the toilet, and flush the Kool Aide down :lol:

OK. . . Here's my comeback. :)

Ted Thompson's Dad checking out and wondering why his son drafted Justin Harrell.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2006/07/lovethyneighbor.jpg

and not Justin's sister.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2006/07/giantcheerleader.jpg

Just joking. I LOVE Ted. :)