PDA

View Full Version : Official Depth Chart 8-06

vince
08-06-2007, 09:08 PM
There've been some updates made to the official depth chart...

Offense
WR 85 Greg Jennings 82 Ruvell Martin 18 Carlyle Holiday 11 David Clowney* (4) 17 Calvin Russell* (5) 13 Carlton Brewster* (6)
LT 76 Chad Clifton 69 Orrin Thompson*
LG 73 Daryn Colledge 78 Allen Barbre* 64 Tony Palmer 68 Adam Stenavich* (4)
C 63 Scott Wells 70 Tyson Walter 71 C.J. Blomvall*
RG 72 Jason Spitz 62 Junius Coston 58 Pat Murray*
RT 65 Mark Tauscher 75 Tony Moll 61 Travis Leffew*
TE 86 Donald Lee 88 Bubba Franks 49 Zac Alcorn 44 Clark Harris* (4) 47 Joe Werner* (5)
WR 80 Donald Driver 89 James Jones* 87 Robert Ferguson 19 Shaun Bodiford (4) 83 Chris Francies (5)
QB 4 Brett Favre 12 Aaron Rodgers 7 Ingle Martin 10 Paul Thompson* (4)
RB 34 Vernand Morency 32 Brandon Jackson* 23 Noah Herron 42 DeShawn Wynn* (4) 28 P.J. Pope (5)
FB 40 Brandon Miree 35 Korey Hall* 39 Ryan Powdrell* 45 Corey White* (4)

Defense
LDE 74 Aaron Kampman 96 Michael Montgomery 67 DeVon Hicks*
LDT 79 Ryan Pickett 99 Corey Williams 97 Johnny Jolly
RDT 91 Justin Harrell* 90 Colin Cole 95 Daniel Muir*
RDE 77 Cullen Jenkins 94 Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila 57 Jason Hunter 93 Larry Birdine* (4)
SAM 51 Brady Poppinga 53 Spencer Havner* 54 Juwan Simpson*
MIKE 56 Nick Barnett 52 Abdul Hodge 55 Desmond Bishop* 48 Tim Goodwell* (4) 47 Carl-Johan Bjork* (5)
WILL 50 A.J. Hawk 59 Tracy White 98 Rory Johnson*
LCB 21 Charles Woodson 43 Patrick Dendy 41 Frank Walker 38 Tramon Williams* (4)
RCB 31 Al Harris 24 Jarrett Bush 27 Will Blackmon 46 Antonio Malone* (4)
SS 22 Marquand Manuel 20 Atari Bigby 25 Marviel Underwood 30 Alvin Nnabuife* (4)
FS 36 Nick Collins 37 Aaron Rouse* 29 Tyrone Culver 26 Charlie Peprah (4)

Special Teams
K 16 Dave Rayner 2 Mason Crosby*
P 9 Jon Ryan 8 Ryan Dougherty* 7 Ingle Martin
H 9 Jon Ryan 12 Aaron Rodgers 82 Ruvell Martin 7 Ingle Martin (4)
PR 85 Greg Jennings 19 Shaun Bodiford 27 Will Blackmon 89 James Jones* (4)
KR 19 Shaun Bodiford 11 David Clowney* 27 Will Blackmon 32 Brandon Jackson* (4) 23 Noah Herron (5) 42 DeShawn Wynn* (6)
PC 60 Rob Davis 44 Clark Harris* 99 Corey Williams 75 Tony Moll (4)
KC 60 Rob Davis 44 Clark Harris* 99 Corey Williams 75 Tony Moll (4)

* Rookies and first-year players are indicated by an asterisk.

This at least gives some information about how the coaches are seeing some of the battles being played out at this point. I have to believe there are some battles in process of being won/lost that haven't yet showed up on the official depth chart yet though.

Based on all the reports I've seen, Manuel has to be hanging on to his SS position by an absolute thread, if he still has it.

Not sure if this is new, but Bigby ahead of Underwood is interesting.

James Jones has officially sent the Fraud toward the back of the bus, and possibly off it entirely.

Perhaps not too surprising after the knee surgery, but PJ Pope's chances of making the team appear remote.

Korey Hall is moving up the depth chart at FB.

Not much change on D, but some interesting changes on Special Teams...

Woodson taken completely off of punt return duty. Jennings listed #1.

Bodiford and Clowney both are 1 and 2 for kick return duties. Difficult to see them both making the team though.

Joemailman
08-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Nothing too earth-shaking here. Certainly JJ moving ahead of Fergy is the most interesting, if not surprising. Bigby being listed ahead of Underwood is not new. Hopefully both will really show something in the upcoming pre-season games.

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks Vince.

Kory Hall will make the roster. He offers us some versatility and (athletic skills) for improving our ST's.

The same goes for another rookie Aaron Rouse. He's stepping up it seems to me.

Shaun Bodiford at WR and ST's (KR) is having a solid camp. He should have the edge on WR Robert Ferguson but RF has ST skills as well.

I'm happy to see my man Ruuuveeellll Martin hanging in there as a #3/#4 WR. :)

Donald Lee as #1 TE ?? What has Lee done? Bubba Franks at #2 TE.
He'll get it back as Donald Lee has shown us zilch since soon after he arrived.

CB's Patrick Dendy, Jarrett Bush and Will Blackmon seem to have an edge today on Frank Walker for the nickle and dime.

I can't get any read on the backup LBers. I'm not reading a thing on Brady Poppinga as well.

GO PACKERS !

MJZiggy
08-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Stupid question of the week: why is WR listed twice?

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Now looky there.

Just seeing a thread up on Brady Popp after my last post this thread.

This joint is hoping now !! :)

DAM. . . the off season was slow.

Bretsky
08-06-2007, 09:37 PM

Because there are two separate WR positions

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 09:39 PM

One WR the RH - WR lines up just back of the line on the strong (TE) side (the flanker) and the other one right on the line on the weak side of the OL formation or non TE side, LH WR - the split end.

The split end lines up on the line of scrimage because the rule's say that there must be 7 players on the line.

L-R. . . the split end and the 5 O-Lineman and the TE.

Most times we see a single set TE lined up on the RHS, on either side of the RT and the RH WR (the flanker) positions himself to the right of and behind this TE (1 yard behind the line of scrimage).

KYPack's explanation (using the XYZ format) is detailed and superior. :)

Joemailman
08-06-2007, 09:41 PM

Because there are 2 WR's used on every play, and the 2 WR positions do have some differences.

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Brett Favre is being interviewed on TSN (ESPN) right now.

It will be repeated, I imagine.

His response on the records he is positioned to break this season.

(paraphrased)

"I would hope that I wouldn't have to set a single record for people to remember me 30 years from now." Brett Favre

BF4MVP
08-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Hopefully before too long Jackson will unseat Morency..

KYPack
08-07-2007, 08:27 AM

There are no stupid questions.

Well, maybe one or two.

I read Woody's explanation and I'm not sure if I understood it & I know what he's talkin' about. Some on here have mentioned they like to hear about the X's and the O's, so here's some information with the X's, the Y's and the Z's in it.

A standard pro set has 3 receivers. Basic terminology labels these 3 guys X, Y, & Z.

The X receiver is sometimes called the split end. The X lines up split out 10 - 15 yds to the the weak side of the formation ON the line of scrimmage.

The Y is the TE. He lines up on the line of scrimmage next to the tackle. 95% of the time, the Y is on the strong side of the formation.

The Z receiver is sometimes called the Flanker. The Z lines up on the strong side of the formation split out 10 - 15 yards, but a yard and a half deep, actually in the backfield. The offense must have 7 players on the line, so in a standard pro set, the Z man is actually a back.

The Z is generally your big time receiver. DD, Chad Johnson, Marvin Harrison are all Z's. The distance from the line gives 'em space to defeat bump & run coverage, and the wide side of the field gives 'em more room to show their open field speed and work their moves.

Some depth charts will show the difference btw the WR's. The recievers will be listed as XR, TE, & ZR.

Many teams adopt this terminology in the play call. A huddle call of "Red right, X left" tells the backs to be evenly split behind the QB, the TE to line up on the right side and the Split end to line up on the left.

This gets even more crazy when you go to 3 and 4 reciever formations, but hopefully, ya get the idea.

MJZiggy
08-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks, KY. I love it when you get into X's and O's...(now all I have to do is remember it)

woodbuck27
08-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks, KY. I love it when you get into X's and O's...(now all I have to do is remember it)

MJ. . . a recommendation:

Try to get the book Football for Dummies written by Howie Long and some other dude.

That covers a ton of what you may need to know. I have read that over and over. It covers a lot.

MJZiggy
08-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks, Buck, but I'd rather KY and ND and those guys explained the things that I don't get.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Is it smart to have our starting WR returning punts. I know Woodson did it last year, and R. Bush and S. Smith do it, but is this smart due to the increase risk of injury?

woodbuck27
08-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Is it smart to have our starting WR returning punts. I know Woodson did it last year, and R. Bush and S. Smith do it, but is this smart due to the increase risk of injury?

Someone has to return KO's and punts.

It concerned me as well that, the person to return punts was Charles Woodson last season. I felt that he was too vauable in a very key position and too expensive.

So Woodson's out of that and we're back to someone else stepping up. None of the players assigned to try out as kick returners are as high profile as Woodson. Jennings has a lot of value in his own right but I'm happy that Woodson will be just a LCB till that changes.

BallHawk
08-07-2007, 11:34 AM

Is it smart? Quite frankly, no. If you have a guy that can break a game open like Reggie Bush, then it is a good idea. However, Jennings isn't a gamebreaker returning kicks. If he goes down, then we're screwed.

I'd rather have a scrub doing KR like Sean Bodiford or Will Blackmon.