View Full Version : For BH- Ruvell my Favorite Martin

Bretsky
08-07-2007, 08:00 AM
Martin fades into view
Receiver growing into solid contributor
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Aug. 6, 2007

Green Bay - Nobody will ever confuse Ruvell Martin with Keyshawn Johnson - not their personalities, anyway - but like Johnson, Martin would like someone to just give him the damn ball.

And where he'd particularly like it is in the end zone when the Green Bay Packers are closing in on the goal line.

At 6 feet 4 inches and 210 pounds, Martin is the tallest receiver on the Packers' roster and he has become fairly accomplished at working the fade route close to the end zone. Given his height and large wingspan, he has been a difficult target for Packers cornerbacks to cover this training camp when the ball is lobbed to him in the corner of the end zone.

Asked if that is a skill he has recently developed, Martin looked genuinely surprised.

"Did you see me in NFL Europe?" the second-year receiver said. "I set a league record (for touchdown receptions) and the majority of them came on those kinds of throws. I did the same thing in college. It's something I'm very comfortable with."

Given the Packers' struggles in the red zone last year - they ranked 31st in touchdown percentage (18 in 49 attempts, or 36.7%) - they could use all the help they can get around the goal line. Martin made the roster last year based on a strong training camp, but early on was mostly a special teams player and was inactive for two of the team's first four games.

By the end of the year, he was playing a lot more and registered catches of 26, 34 and 36 yards (twice) in his final five games. The 36-yarder against San Francisco was a touchdown and the 36-yarder against Minnesota set up the Packers for the winning touchdown.

Martin finished the year with a seven-catch, 118-yard night against Chicago in the season finale and caught 21 passes for 358 yards (17.0 average) and a touchdown for the season.

Now a year more experienced and considerably stronger in the upper body after an active off-season, Martin is hoping the Packers recognize his special talent. They should know it pretty well because backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers throws him the ball deep any time he can during practice.

"It comes from when he was on scout team and I ran the scout team," Rodgers said. "I threw to him just about every time there was a deep ball. I said, 'You know what? We've got a 6-4 guy with jumping ability. If we have a go route against first team defense, I'm going to test them. If we have a fade on the goal line I'm throwing it to him.' After about the first week, we hit about 60% or 70 % of them."

During camp, Martin has consistently showed the ability to jump over defenders and get his hands on the ball on fade routes. He's not limited to running those routes, but his lack of eye-popping speed is the reason he wasn't drafted out of Saginaw Valley State in 2004, had to play in NFL Europe and spent time on the Packers' practice squad in '05.

In one-on-one drills during practice Monday, he had a tough time getting off a bump at the line of scrimmage from cornerback Charles Woodson on one turn and couldn't shake safety Marviel Underwood on a deep route on another turn.

But later after letting a long pass from Brett Favre slide off his fingertips during team drills, he beat cornerback Patrick Dendy on a deep post for a 60-yard touchdown.

"I worked a lot on my strength this off-season," Martin said. "I feel quite a bit stronger in my upper body and my legs. I can see it in the increased weight (I lift) and the number of reps."

Martin will need all his strength to be an effective target during the regular season should he win a roster spot again. He can't afford to get delayed at the line of scrimmage by physical cornerbacks because he doesn't have the speed to make it up once he's freed.

He also has to be aggressive getting to the ball. Rodgers' desperation heave into the end zone on a fourth-down play during the 2-minute portion of the intrasquad scrimmage Saturday was intercepted because Martin didn't get back to the ball. Rodgers took the blame for the play, however, because he said he told Martin he was going to throw it into the back of the end zone.

But the expectation is that no matter where it's thrown, the receiver will go get it.

"I'm glad I've been able to show I can do that this training camp," Martin said. "Hopefully, I'll get a few touchdowns in a game or two. That's something I feel comfortable doing."

Martin is among seven receivers battling for what probably will be two or three roster spots. He, veteran Robert Ferguson and Carlyle Holiday are similar-type receivers and it's unlikely the Packers would keep all three, so Martin has to show he can consistently catch those deep balls.

"I'm competing against the defense," Martin said. "I have to go out and beat Dendy and (Al) Harris and (Jarrett) Bush. That's my competition. Not the other receivers."

Martin said former Packers receiver James Lofton, who was his position coach in San Diego his rookie season, was the one who convinced him his only competition was the defender in front of him. He said consistently measuring yourself against the other receivers is an exercise in insecurity.

"I never go against another wideout," Martin said.

BallHawk
08-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Thanks, B. :D

Good article. Ruvell's size alone would be a reason to keep him, but he has a good attitude and has buffed up.

Whether he is playing #3 or the #4 this season, he is going to score at least 3 TDs. Probably more.

woodbuck27
08-07-2007, 08:32 AM
Ruuvellll !!

KYPack
08-07-2007, 08:50 AM
I really like this kid, too.

But I have an answer to his question:

"Asked if that is a skill he has recently developed, Martin looked genuinely surprised.

'Did you see me in NFL Europe?' the second-year receiver said. "I set a league record (for touchdown receptions) and the majority of them came on those kinds of throws. I did the same thing in college. "

No. We didn't see you in NFL Europe. Nobody did, 'cause nobody watched it. THE LEAGUE IS DEFUNCT 'CAUSE NOBODY WATCHED IT.

Charles Woodson
08-07-2007, 09:32 AM
i have also always liked martin, i dont know what spot he will get but hes got the talent to make the roster as at least a 4th, maybe 3rd

Carolina_Packer
08-07-2007, 09:42 AM
He's another one of those developmental, under the radar pickups that TT seems to love. Instead of paying for a Chad Jackson (2nd rounder), Troy Williamson (very bad 1st round pick) to bust out and eat cap money, or at the very minimum, not give equal performance value to their relative draft slot, I'd say TT is onto something finding guys like Martin and Holliday. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have another first round talent at WR, but it can be a risk as well.

The Leaper
08-07-2007, 10:19 AM
He's another one of those developmental, under the radar pickups that TT seems to love. Instead of paying for a Chad Jackson (2nd rounder), Troy Williamson (very bad 1st round pick) to bust out and eat cap money, or at the very minimum, not give equal performance value to their relative draft slot, I'd say TT is onto something finding guys like Martin and Holliday. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have another first round talent at WR, but it can be a risk as well.

The only problem is how long it takes for them to develop. For a team that was barren in WR depth the past few years, waiting 2-3 years for guys to become contributors wasn't a good answer. In the future, it won't be great either...mainly because it will be difficult to find places to stash these guys as they develop.

BallHawk
08-07-2007, 10:31 AM
'Did you see me in NFL Europe?' the second-year receiver said. "I set a league record (for touchdown receptions) and the majority of them came on those kinds of throws. I did the same thing in college. "

No. We didn't see you in NFL Europe. Nobody did, 'cause nobody watched it. THE LEAGUE IS DEFUNCT 'CAUSE NOBODY WATCHED IT.

Oh, c'mon, I'm sure Tarlam must of seen him at least once. :wink:

Fritz
08-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Here's a question I've been wanting to get an answer to from the folks who have seen training camp up in GB: Since Fergy, Martin, and Holliday appear to be similar players, and it appears Fergy's days are numbered, who's been more impressive: Holliday or Martin? My guess is that one or the other but not both will make the team.

woodbuck27
08-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Ruvell Martin, Robert Ferguson, and Carlyle Holiday are likely competing for one roster spot in Green Bay.

Martin has shown a penchant for catching over-the-shoulder deep balls in camp, something he excelled at late last season. If Monday's depth chart is any indication, Ferguson is a goner. Holiday is the biggest long shot.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

GO Ruuuvelll ! :)

woodbuck27
08-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Fr. sources:

Ruvell Martin (born August 10, 1982, Muskegon, Michigan) is an American football wide receiver for the Green Bay Packers of the NFL. He graduated from Muskegon Catholic Central High School where on January 19, 2006 he was honored and put into their elite Walk Of Fame. He played quarterback in high school, then moved to wide receiver in college. He was originally signed as an undrafted free agent out of Saginaw Valley State University by the San Diego Chargers.

http://i1.chargers.com/assets/041/20672_282wh.jpg

Ruvell Martin was one of eight players the San Diego Chargers allocated to NFL Europe in 2005. Here is Martin in his 7th week with Admirals catching a 50-yard touchdown pass when the Admirals lost 30-24 in sudden death to the Hamburg Sea Devils. Ruvell Martin caught a touchdown pass in seven straight games and at that time led NFL Europe with 23 receptions for 429 yards and seven touchdowns in seven games.

It was a successful season for Martin and a plug for better things to come in his football future.

Martin earned All-NFL Europe honors after leading the league with 679 receiving yards and twelve touchdowns for the 2005 World Bowl champion Amsterdam Admirals.

In the final game of the 2006 season against the Chicago Bears, Martin, starting in place of absent wideout Greg Jennings, caught seven passes for 118 yards.

Huge Packer fans ( like BallHawk and Woodbuck ), members of the most exclusive and well informed Packer Forum on the internet PACKERRATS, are positive that Ruvell Martin will have the opportunity to step up his game in 2007.

:)

The Leaper
08-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Ruvell Martin, Robert Ferguson, and Carlyle Holiday are likely competing for one roster spot in Green Bay.

I don't see it that way.

Driver, Jennings, and Jones are locks to make the team. Bodiford/Clowney are battling for the #6 spot/kick returner...which should be won easily by Bodiford, with Clowney going to the practice squad.

That leaves 2 more spots at present with Robinson out of the picture, and I expect Martin and Holiday to take those last 2 spots. If Robinson comes back, then the team will need to make a decision between Martin/Holiday/Bodiford. I would expect Martin will be tough to get rid of due to his size and our lack of red zone weapons...IMO, he is practically a lock to make the team already just for that.

BallHawk
08-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Here's a question I've been wanting to get an answer to from the folks who have seen training camp up in GB: Since Fergy, Martin, and Holliday appear to be similar players, and it appears Fergy's days are numbered, who's been more impressive: Holliday or Martin? My guess is that one or the other but not both will make the team.

It's possible that Holiday will make the team. Ruvell has about an 85% chance, as of now, that he will make it. He would have to play extremely poor in the preseason to not be on this squad in September.

Holiday has good hands and is faster then Martin. However, Martin has an advantage in the height department (Holiday is 6'2, Martin is 6'4.)

The preseason will be very telling. We could end up seeing some thing like this....

Driver
Jennings
Jones
Martin
Holiday
Bodiford.

If Clowney shoes poorly, then Holiday has a good shot of making it. It's possible Clowney could make it and Bodiford doesn't, putting Holiday in. However, Bodiford is more well-rounded at receiver and is approximately on the same level at KR, even though Clowney is faster.

The preseason will ultimately decide WR spots 3-6.

Badgepack
08-07-2007, 12:25 PM
I would think Ruvell is a lock to make the team also. With all the inexperience of the WR on the team, he has a 100 yard game, made some good plays in other games last year, and could be a red zone threat if the Pack try to run plays for him.
Plus, Favre should have some comfort in throwing to him by now which is very important with Favre. He also has another year to learn the offense. Ruvell has worked his ass off this summer and should be in great shape.
I expect him to be a big part of the offense this year.

woodbuck27
08-07-2007, 12:26 PM

I don't see it that way.

Driver, Jennings, and Jones are locks to make the team. Bodiford/Clowney are battling for the #6 spot/kick returner...which should be won easily by Bodiford, with Clowney going to the practice squad.

That leaves 2 more spots at present with Robinson out of the picture, and I expect Martin and Holiday to take those last 2 spots. If Robinson comes back, then the team will need to make a decision between Martin/Holiday/Bodiford. I would expect Martin will be tough to get rid of due to his size and our lack of red zone weapons...IMO, he is practically a lock to make the team already just for that.

Bang on !

1. Donald Driver
2. Greg Jennings
3. James Jones / Ruvell Martin
4. James Jones / Ruvell Martin
5. Carlyle Holiday / Shaun Bodiford
6. Shaun Bodiford / David Clowney
PS - David Clowney

GO PACKERS !

MJZiggy
08-07-2007, 12:28 PM

I don't see it that way.

Add to that he's been holding so IF Crosby beats out Rayner, then Ruvell is his preferred holder...

The Leaper
08-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Add to that he's been holding so IF Crosby beats out Rayner, then Ruvell is his preferred holder...

Great point...I didn't even think about that angle. That is even more evidence that the coaching staff was high on Ruvell following last season, giving him that role. I would think Holliday may be the better prospect for a holder due to his background as a QB (for fakes/botches) but the coaches likely felt Martin was a stronger lock to make the team.

woodbuck27
08-07-2007, 12:35 PM

I don't see it that way.

Now . . .I'm just guessing, but not eating raw tomatoe's must be what keeps you so sharp.

pittstang5
08-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Ok all you Martin fans (I'm one too), I've got a question. I read the article in the original post about Martin's finese on fade routes. Why can I not remember any fade routes when the Packers got down into the red zone last year? I remember saying to myself a couple times last year "Put in R. Martin and let him fight for the ball, but nothing ever came of it. Now, granted, the Packers didn't get to the red zone alot last year (compared to previous years), but I still scratch my head why McCarthy did't try more fade routes to Martin. Is it me or what?