PDA

View Full Version : Cultural Clash: Gay versus Straight

Kiwon
08-07-2007, 08:16 AM
San Diego's lesbian fire chief orders four firemen and their truck to participate in the city's 2007 "Gay Pride" parade. They protested, were ordered to appear, did so and now they are suing the city.

As GLBT become more accepted in mainstream society and management positions, workplace clashes like these will occur more often.

So do the four firefighters have a case? What's your opinion?
.................................................. ..........................................

Firefighters forced to join in 'Gay Pride' parade

File lawsuit against city after enduring 3 hours of lewd remarks, gestures
Posted: August 7, 2007
© 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

Four firefighters are suing the city of San Diego for being forced by their superiors to attend the annual "Gay Pride" parade where they endured a barrage of sexual taunts and lewd gestures.

San Diego's fire chief, Tracy Jarman, is an open lesbian who called the July 21 parade a "fun event" in which "all employees are encouraged to participate."

But the firefighters said, unlike previous years, they were ordered into uniform to participate in the parade in their fire truck, despite repeated their protests.

The firefighters' legal counsel, the Thomas More Law Center, said the men were "left with the Hobson's choice of either violating their conscience or being disciplined for disobeying a direct order."

The firefighters, described as devoted husbands and fathers, said they were subject to the most vulgar kinds of sexual harassment.

"You could not even look at the crowd without getting some type of sexual gesture," one said, adding, "If any crew member were to hang up pictures at the station of what we saw, we would be disciplined."

Over the course of three hours, they heard statements such as, "show me your hose," "you can put out my fire," "you're making me hot," "give me mouth-to-mouth," "you look hungry, why don't you have a twinkie (from a man wearing a "Girth and Mirth" t-shirt)," and "blow my hose."

When they refused to respond to the crowd, some in the crowd turned hostile and started shouting, "F--- you firemen" and others began "flipping them off."

San Diego area attorney, Charles LiMandri, the West Coast director of the Thomas More Law Center, insists the city should have known from past experience "the kind of offensive activities that go on at this event."

"This was a clear case of sexual harassment in violation of state and federal law as well as the City's own code of conduct," he said.

LiMandri said the firefighters also were targets of sexual gestures, including exposure of genitals, blowing kisses, grabbing of the crotch, rubbing of nipples, tongue gestures and men hugging and kissing one another passionately – many wearing make-up and dressed like women.

Richard Thompson, president and chief counsel of the Thomas More Law Center argued the constitutional right to free speech also protects the right not to speak.

"These men should not have to explain to their families, friends and church congregations that their presence at a celebration of lewdness and obscenity in support of the homosexual agenda was because they were forced there by way of a direct order," he said. "This is a clear violation of their constitutional rights, and the city must be held accountable. It should never happen again to any city employee."

Jarman, the city fire chief, insisted when she was appointed that her homosexuality had never been an issue at the department.

But Thompson maintained the firefighters' ordeal was "another example of how radical homosexual activists in positions of authority force their agenda on unwilling citizens."

"Although the local media avoided mentioning the debauchery and the obscenity that pervaded the parade, the general public should know what went on and how these firefighters were forced to participate against their will," he said.

As WND reported, prior to the parade, the San Diego City Council unanimously adopted a resolution introduced by Mayor Jerry Sanders to designate July as "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Pride Month."

Scott Campbell
08-07-2007, 08:44 AM
I think she should resign.

Kiwon
08-07-2007, 09:05 AM

This is probably what would happen if a straight supervisor required four gay employees to attend an event where they were subjected to 3 hours of sexual taunts and abusive comments.

Certainly, the media and GLBT activists would make it into a huge scandal.

MJZiggy
08-07-2007, 09:20 AM
I understand what she might have been thinking when she told them to go, after all, firefighters attend parades all the time, however what she failed to grasp here is that a gay pride parade is not your normal hometown affair. Marching in that particular parade is meant to be a statement and straight people should never be compelled to do it. It isn't even so much about the catcalls, etc. I don't think gay people should be forced to appear in religious activities where homosexuality is condemned either. Scott's right. She needs to go.

BallHawk
08-07-2007, 10:28 AM

This is probably what would happen if a straight supervisor required four gay employees to attend an event where they were subjected to 3 hours of sexual taunts and abusive comments.

Certainly, the media and GLBT activists would make it into a huge scandal.

Spot on.

woodbuck27
08-07-2007, 10:36 AM
A classic example of reverse discrimmination.

No straight person should be forced into any activity that may cause that person undo gossip or otherwise embarassment.

Of course now she has a solid argument to increase the number of gay's within the Department's compliment.

Now, on that note. As long as the gay firefighter recruit can pass basic training that's cool too.

A GAY Firechief !!?? Havn't times changed.

My mother would have a lot to say about that. She never paid any head to political correctness. It was all the BIBLE. :)

Freak Out
08-07-2007, 12:11 PM
She was out of line "ordering" them to parade in that event......and should step down. It's fine for her to be a gay fire chief but the only damn parade any city department should participate in is the 4th of July....otherwise they should be working like we pay them to.

Jimx29
08-07-2007, 12:15 PM
WTH is it with these lesbian fire chiefs? The city of Minneapolis just settled a case with their lez fire chief just a little while ago.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?id=52658&sectionId=46

Oh, and here's a pic of the gorgeous Bonnie Bleskachek:

http://i11.tinypic.com/66vkn69.jpg

Oooops....wrong link :doh: Here's the right one....ermmm no wait.....shit, now i'm all confused :P

http://i13.tinypic.com/4qs86lv.jpg

Scott Campbell
08-07-2007, 02:38 PM
How can he be a lesbian?

:shock:

woodbuck27
08-07-2007, 03:08 PM
How can he be a lesbian?

:shock:

Sex change.

Almost as easy as getting a haircut, pedicure and good massage.

hoosier
08-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Over the course of three hours, they heard statements such as, "show me your hose," "you can put out my fire," "you're making me hot," "give me mouth-to-mouth," "you look hungry, why don't you have a twinkie (from a man wearing a "Girth and Mirth" t-shirt)," and "blow my hose."

Oooh, how shocking. What's even more shocking is that nobody pulled out the old "You can slide down my fire pole anytime you want" line.

Kiwon
08-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Here's a picture of San Diego's fire chief.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/images2/jarman.jpg

I think the firefighters filing suit against the city are only looking for $$$$$ damages and an apology. They would probably like to see her gone but they are not in a position to make that happen. The city administration oversees her employment.

It's not likely to happen though..... Note the last part of the piece.

"As WND reported, prior to the parade, the San Diego City Council unanimously adopted a resolution introduced by Mayor Jerry Sanders to designate July as "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Pride Month."

GBRulz
08-07-2007, 05:27 PM
[quote="Numb"]

Maybe it's just me, but it made me think of Prince Charles.

Iron Mike
08-07-2007, 05:57 PM

It made me think of k.d. lang

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/6/6a/Kd_lang-Drag.jpg

Jimx29
08-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Hmmmmm....She grew up and went to school in Chippewa Falls....I wonder if Merlin ever took a swing at that :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2007, 09:26 PM
When the hell did cyberski change his handle to numb?

Joemailman
08-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Numb is short for Numb Nuts. :wink: :lol:

LL2
08-07-2007, 09:56 PM
I agree she should be fired. I knew a guy that told me his employer told the employees they had to attend the Chicago gay pride parade because they were a sponsor of the parade. I would say BS! If they fire her she would then file a lawsuit and SD would be on the nightly news for two weeks. Gays like that kind of publicity these days.

falco
08-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Gays like that kind of publicity these days.

That's a pretty shitty comment.

Jimx29
08-08-2007, 12:12 AM
When the hell did cyberski change his handle to numb?Today

Numb is short for Numb Nuts. :wink: :lol:Actually, you're close. For the most part, ever since I started going to message boards some 10 years ago or so, I was almost always numbnutz. When I came here I saw deputy nutz and I decided not to use numbnutz. Now over the past year or so i've changed most places to just numb cause most of the time that's what i'm called. :huh:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/numbnutz/numb_nutz_1_trans-1.gif

mraynrand
08-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Gee, I could go for a BLT sandwich. Mmmmmmmm GBLT saaandwich....

http://members.tripod.com/~pearly-abraham/homer/homer-drool.gif