PDA

View Full Version : Going to training camp for the first time...any tips?

Brewhaha
08-07-2007, 08:33 PM
I will be there August 14-16. I am going to take the Lambeau tour, visit the Hall of Fame, and go to practice on the 14th and 15th with the lady friend. I've only been to Green Bay a couple times and it was just for a game and then leaving.

Any other ideas of things to do? Restaurants? Tips on getting autographs/meeting players? How early should we get to the practices?

Any info would be appreciated.

falco
08-07-2007, 08:48 PM
From what I remember a few years ago, only a select few "kids" got passes to get autographs direct from the players.

After practice, many of the players and coaches will meander over to the stadium. Some on bikes, other just on foot. A lot of the other players (like Favre) take a top secret underground tunnel. I remember seeing Sherman and Rossely just plodding along. I couldn't believe how fat Sherman's ass was in person.

The day I was there, they had an area near the stadium cordoned off. A few of the players (Kampman, Rodgers, etc) were behind the the fencing and signing autographs.

It was funny; I remember because Andre Thurman was actually on the side with all the fans, walking around seeing if anyone wanted an autograph. Needless to say, his was the only one we got.

Anyways, that was my experience. As far as watching the practice, we ended up watching the DB's and OT, since they were on the end where there weren't many fans. The area with the QBs and WRs was so crowded you couldn't see a thing.

Definitely do the hall of fame. I've heard that the stadium tour is well worth the money, but go book it right away because it was sold out by the time we looked into it.

BEARMAN
08-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Don't eat the moldy cheese ! :shock: :no: :taunt:

gbpackfan
08-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Here are a couple of tips for you.

1. Bring a drink with LOTS of ice. It gets hot as hell sitting on that sidewalk and you really can't get up and leave unless someone is saving your seat.

2. Get your spot early. Ask the equipment manager, who will be setting up flags and cones, which way the offense will be going. Sit on that side.

3. If your not setting up chairs along the fence and are physically able to, sit on the top bleecher bench. Then, when the drills start, you can stand on the top bench and look over the fence. Great view!

4. Bring something to sit on because the benches get REAL hot. Make sure it is something you can stand on if you are going to stand up.

5. ENJOY!

GBRulz
08-07-2007, 09:36 PM
a secret underground tunnel? LOL I've never heard that one before, falco!

Anyhow, brewhaha, have a great time, but keep in mind there is no practice on the 15th. Select players sign at an autograph table after the morning practice, but if you don't get a ticket, don't worry as there are plenty of players that sign after practice.

Everything you need to know about TC is right here......

http://www.packerstrainingcamp.com/

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2007, 09:44 PM
10 years ago there a few hundred people that would show up, players/coaches would all walk to and from the stadium, and you could get all kinds of autographs (I personally never asked for any). But measures have to be taken when crowds get into the several thousands.

I loved going out there for camp--especially for mini-camp (less people). The one thing I didn't like were the autograph seekers (usually card collectors/sales men types) that would be complete assholes, and then get mad when every player didn't sign an autograph for them. You're 40 friggin' years old. Leave the pen at home.

falco
08-07-2007, 09:48 PM
10 years ago there a few hundred people that would show up, players/coaches would all walk to and from the stadium, and you could get all kinds of autographs (I personally never asked for any). But measures have to be taken when crowds get into the several thousands.

I loved going out there for camp--especially for mini-camp (less people). The one thing I didn't like were the autograph seekers (usually card collectors/sales men types) that would be complete assholes, and then get mad when every player didn't sign an autograph for them. You're 40 friggin' years old. Leave the pen at home.

I remember 20 years ago, as a little kid going to some packers event. I waited in line for 20 minutes for an Anthony Dilweg autograph before I just gave up. This wasn't just an ordinary practice, but my memory cannot recall exactly what it was.

Brewhaha
08-07-2007, 09:49 PM

Anyhow, brewhaha, have a great time, but keep in mind there is no practice on the 15th. Select players sign at an autograph table after the morning practice, but if you don't get a ticket, don't worry as there are plenty of players that sign after practice.

Wait, what about a ticket? They hand out tickets to get to the autograph table?

GBRulz
08-07-2007, 09:50 PM
know what I hate and I've seen it many, many times are Dad's who have a slew of items to get autographed and they send their kids to cut in line or in front of other people.

and yes Harv, you can def tell the true fan autograph seekers, adults and kids vs the ones who are simply going to sell it on ebay or something. Ya know, it's not really the older guys doing that, it's younger 20 somethings. They come with a backpack full of stuff, pics of all different players and very picky about who signs what. Players aren't stupid, they tend to avoid them if possible.

I haven't been to a practice this year. The crowds have simply gotten too much. Like you, I much prefer mini-camps and which is why I was so ticked at M3 for closing most of them to the public this year.

falco
08-07-2007, 09:51 PM

When I was there they handed out tickets to go to a special autograph table. It was my impression that the ticket were only given to kids, but I may be wrong.

Everyone else had to fight for an autograph as the players headed back to the stadium. When I was there, most of the bigger name players were not available during that portion.

GBRulz
08-07-2007, 09:53 PM

Read that TC link, it really does contain tons of info about stuff like this.

Yes, there is an autograph table. or you can catch up with them after they get off the bikes on the other side. Don't even bother trying to get auto's until they are crossed Oneida St - cops hurry them across

Iron Mike
08-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Get pizza here:

http://diningfolio.com/Green_Bay/Jakes/

Get booyah here:

http://diningfolio.com/Green_Bay/Ten-O-One/

Little Whiskey
08-08-2007, 11:45 AM
i attended a pratice that was held in the hudson center. my dad's comp. advertised on the Holmgren show. we got to stand on the sidelines and eat lunch with the players. my dad (a very large man) walks out of the hudson center after practice with his reggie white jersey on, and a line of fans form to ask him for his autograph. he signed every last one!! :D