PDA

View Full Version : Notes: Barbre auditions for feature role

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Good sign for Barbre. I don't see Philbin is being a guy who is overly effusive in his praise.

Lineman showing starter qualities
By BOB McGINN

Green Bay - Fourth-round draft choices in Green Bay during the last 20 years have panned out at a rate of about one in three.

The team's selection in the fourth this year, offensive lineman Allen Barbre, has more than just impressed his coaches. After a month of off-season workouts and 10 days of training camp, offensive coordinator Joe Philbin and offensive line coach James Campen have no doubt that Barbre will one day become a starter in the National Football League.

"Absolutely," Philbin said Tuesday. "I'd be surprised if he wasn't. He definitely has the ability. A lot of ability."

Campen, who assisted Philbin with the line last year before assuming the top job in January, was extremely high on Barbre well before the draft.

"Damn right it was a good pick," Campen said. "I think he definitely displays the qualities to be a starter. Very tough player."

Barbre is the 23rd fourth-round selection by the Packers since 1987. Of the previous 22, six became starters for them: safety Chuck Cecil, tight end Jackie Harris, running back Edgar Bennett, defensive end Gabe Wilkins and linebackers Na'il Diggs and Brady Poppinga. Another choice, Josh Bidwell, did their punting for four seasons.

Quarterback Aaron Brooks was traded after one year to New Orleans, where he started for 5½ seasons.

Barbre, 6 feet 4 inches and 302 pounds, played exclusively at left tackle in high school (Granby, Mo.) and in college (Missouri Southern State). Assuming he could play tackle, the Packers installed him as the No. 2 left guard and have left him there.

The Packers seem satisfied with Daryn Colledge at left guard and Jason Spitz at right guard. But perhaps sooner than later Barbre should be grounded enough to contend seriously for one of their jobs.

At this point, Barbre is a better pass-blocker than run-blocker. Other than brief exposure to the Packers' type of cut blocking scheme in 2004 and '05, he said Missouri Southern was a power-gap style of running team.

Barbre is more than happy playing guard. He's even more confident that, given some practices in pads, in time he will start at tackle or guard.

"I just have to get my fundamentals right," he said. "Technique. Steps. Run-blocking."

The scouts with reservations about Barbre were concerned about the Division II level of competition and how well he would function in a complex system.

"He just needs a lot of repetition and a lot of mental (work)," Philbin said.

Bretsky
08-07-2007, 10:03 PM
I've read more positive comments about this guy in a week of training camp than I've read about Orange Juice Coston is the past couple years.

Partial
08-07-2007, 10:16 PM
This kid will be a baller. He is the 7th man right now. If we can get 8 legitimate NFL players on that line they will be set to be quite good even barring injury.