PDA

View Full Version : Stop The Presses - Fraud On Bubble

Scott Campbell
08-08-2007, 08:52 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070808/PKR01/708080634/1989

Is Ferguson on the outside looking in?

Receiver getting reps with starting special teams, but his future is tough to gauge

By Tom Pelissero
tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

There are signs veteran receiver Robert Ferguson remains a vital part of the Green Bay Packers' roster.

Always a core special-teams performer when healthy, Ferguson was on the first-unit kick coverage, kick return and punt return teams in Saturday night's scrimmage.

Coaches are praising his attitude and work ethic, too.

But there is compelling evidence Ferguson's stint in Green Bay is coming to an end: most notable, decreased repetitions with the starting offense and a demotion to third string on the most recent depth chart.

The reality is $1.8 million is a lot to pay an injury-prone No. 4 or 5 receiver, and that's the best standing Ferguson can claim with the preseason opener three days away.

"I certainly think he has a lot of skills and he's produced in the past when he's been healthy," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said Tuesday morning. "We're going to let this thing play out, see how the competition works itself out the next two, three weeks."

Donald Driver and Greg Jennings are locked into the top two spots. Third-round draft pick James Jones has usurped many of the No. 3 repetitions Ferguson received the first week of camp. Ruvell Martin and perhaps Carlyle Holiday — two players who filled important holes last season, when Ferguson played only four games because of a mid-foot sprain — also seem to have the more long-term upside. Two return men, Shaun Bodiford and fifth-round pick David Clowney, likely are competing for one of five or six roster spots allotted for receivers.

Ferguson's most important asset may be experience, which the Packers receiving corps lacks. He has played in 60 NFL games — 12 more than all other Packers receivers except Driver combined.

"Any time you've got an experienced guy over a guy that hasn't been there, it's got to help him," receivers coach Jimmy Robinson said. "It's got to give him an advantage to a degree."

Then again, a more telling number may be 20 — the games Ferguson has missed because of injuries since he signed a five-year extension worth more than $13 million in 2004. He sat out minicamp and organized team activities this spring because of the foot injury and is on a one-a-day practice schedule in training camp.

To keep him on the roster, coaches would have to gamble on Ferguson's health, potentially letting go a future contributor in the process. Evaluation of those young players accelerates beginning Saturday night in Pittsburgh.

"In the end, you're looking for the most complete receiver that you can possibly get," Philbin said. "These young guys, they need to get out there, away from us, and really see what they're capable of doing when somebody's not in their ear telling them, 'Watch for this.'"

MJZiggy
08-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Hey, isn't the first round of cuts today? For some reason, I thought of Fergy and that just popped into my head...

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Its time for him to go. He's not in the top three anymore and I would rather have Martin as fourth than him. He’s had to many chances.

Scott Campbell
08-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Its time for him to go. He's not in the top three anymore and I would rather have Martin as fourth than him. He’s had to many chances.

He's not making this team unless he goes Tanya Harding on at least 2 of the guys ahead of him.

Zool
08-08-2007, 09:19 AM

He's not making this team unless he goes Tanya Harding on at least 2 of the guys ahead of him.He's gonna box white trashy women?

gbpackfan
08-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Hey, isn't the first round of cuts today? For some reason, I thought of Fergy and that just popped into my head...

Way off, it is on the 28th. Maybe you got the 8th and 28th, because of the mutual 8th sound, confused. :P

Carolina_Packer
08-08-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm sure the staff will do the right thing by the team. I agree, I'd rather take a guy with more upside. If it was the pre oft-injured Fergy competing, that would be a cool guy to have, but we don't know what they have in him anymore. Hey, it's too bad he got the injury bug, but we need guys on the field, not preparing for their next comeback.

I think if he's got nine lives, he's on number 9 right now and there's a pitbull on his ass.

oregonpackfan
08-08-2007, 11:52 AM

He's not making this team unless he goes Tanya Harding on at least 2 of the guys ahead of him.

Scott,

The last I have heard, Tonya is looking for employment. Between wrestling, boxing, singing and season-of-the-month boyfriends, she can't seem to hold a steady career/job. One never knows where she will turn up in the Portland Metro area. She likes to drive full-sized pickups and carry a spare hubcap to fling at men who don't do what she wants them to do.

The Leaper
08-08-2007, 12:01 PM
I think all that really saved Ferg's job to this point was his special teams play...but with the increased depth across the board from 2 years ago, that isn't much of a concern anymore.

Barring some kind of superhuman performance during the first two preseason games, I think Ferguson will be dropped in the first round of cuts.

Cheesehead Craig
08-08-2007, 01:13 PM

He's not making this team unless he goes Tanya Harding on at least 2 of the guys ahead of him.He's gonna box white trashy women?
http://www.sadera.com/ufl/forum/images/smiles/Funny_post.gif

BF4MVP
08-08-2007, 05:17 PM
I don't see any way he makes it..

1. Driver
2. Jennings
3.Jones (What do you know, TT drafted another no-name from a small school who surprised us again)
4. Martin
5. Bodiford
6. Holiday
7. Ferguson
8. Clowney

I think they'll keep a couple of those younger guys instead of Fergie...

Bretsky
08-08-2007, 05:42 PM
ODE TO A FRAUD

TURN OUT THE LIGHTS
THE PARTY'S OVER
THEY SAY THAT ALL
GOOD THINGS MUST END

DON'T LET THE DOOR
AHIT YOUR ASS
CAUSE IT WON'T BE GONE
ASOOON ENOUGH

Bretsky
08-08-2007, 05:44 PM

1. Driver
2. Jennings
3.Jones (What do you know, TT drafted another no-name from a small school who surprised us again)
4. Martin
5. Bodiford
6. Holiday
7. Ferguson
8. Clowney

ANYBODY UP FOR A CEREMONIAL BONFIRE TO LIGHT UP ALL DYSFUNCTIONAL FRAUD JERSEY'S ?????????????????????????????????

TennesseePackerBacker
08-08-2007, 06:17 PM

1. Driver
2. Jennings
4. Martin
5. Bodiford
6. Holiday
7. Ferguson
8. Clowney

ANYBODY UP FOR A CEREMONIAL BONFIRE TO LIGHT UP ALL DYSFUNCTIONAL FRAUD JERSEY'S ?????????????????????????????????

who was silly enough to buy one?

MJZiggy
08-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Well we know of one...

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2007, 09:43 PM
BF,

I like Action Jackson over BJack.

Better yet, Buck Toothed Action Jackson.

woodbuck27
08-09-2007, 04:06 PM
I think all that really saved Ferg's job to this point was his special teams play...but with the increased depth across the board from 2 years ago, that isn't much of a concern anymore.

Barring some kind of superhuman performance during the first two preseason games, I think Ferguson will be dropped in the first round of cuts.

I've noticed that Favre speaks well of Robert Ferguson. Well he did last season in TC at least.

Brett's pretty quiet these days. I'm senseing that it doesn't do anyone a lot of good to criticize the wonderful Ted Thompson.

One must toe the party line.

Screw that. :)

HarveyWallbangers
08-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Notes: Ferguson accepts role with resignation
By TOM SILVERSTEIN

Green Bay - If injuries were less a part of his history and receptions more a part of his résumé, Green Bay Packers wide receiver Robert Ferguson would have a legitimate beef with his role in the exhibition opener Saturday at Pittsburgh.

Six-year veterans with 26 starts under their belts aren't supposed to be assigned to virtually every special teams unit for games that don't count. But that's where Ferguson finds himself this week. He hasn't come to peace with the fact the Packers seem to be carving out more of a role for him on special teams than at receiver and probably never will.

"I'll never accept not being a premier wideout, but the writing is on the wall with what they expect from me," Ferguson said Thursday. "Being on every special team, that's a huge sign. I've been around long enough to know what that sign is. When I go out in the game I have to produce, I have to perform at those positions."

Ferguson is in a Catch-22 of sorts. It would help him earn a roster spot if he could prove himself at wide receiver, but playing on both coverage units and both return units will tax him such that he might be at a disadvantage with the other receivers.

But Ferguson got himself into this position by missing 21 of his last 80 games because of injury and twice getting outplayed by a younger receiver (Javon Walker in 2004 and Greg Jennings in '06) when the starting job was his. Instead of having the comfort of just working on his receiving skills, he is having to prove himself all over again.

Currently, he's battling for one of the last two receiver spots behind Donald Driver, Jennings and rookie James Jones. It's a crowded field with Shaun Bodiford, Ruvell Martin, David Clowney and Carlyle Holiday among his competition.

"I do have some things to prove," Ferguson said.

Working in his advantage is the fact that when he last played special teams full time he was one of the best in the NFC. In 2003, when he started 12 games, he led the team in special-teams tackles, proving to be a force as one of the gunners on the punt coverage team.

During the off-season, coach Mike McCarthy told Ferguson that special teams was going to be a full-time endeavor for him again and that it would be a good way to enhance his chances of making the team. Ferguson accepted his assignment, but not with much glee and not with the acceptance that this would be his primary role.

"It's not (ideal), but it's the NFL," Ferguson said. "You do what have to do to keep your job. When an opportunity comes, you make the most of it. I'd rather be in the Pro Bowl as a receiver (than special teams). But that window is getting real small, so I'm trying to capitalize while I can, while I got 10 toes and 10 fingers."

MJZiggy
08-10-2007, 08:34 AM
so I'm trying to capitalize while I can, while I got 10 toes and 10 fingers."[/quote]

Well, I guess we at least have a clue as to what the next inury might be...

BF4MVP
08-10-2007, 05:29 PM

1. Driver
2. Jennings
4. Martin
5. Bodiford
6. Holiday
7. Ferguson
8. Clowney

Can't do it..Thing was still $180 bucks..I didn't pay for it, it was a christmas gift a few years ago, but still..If nothing else, I can buy a new name to put on it and change it to a James Jones jersey..Although I like Brandon Jackson better.

BF4MVP
08-10-2007, 05:31 PM

1. Driver
2. Jennings
4. Martin
5. Bodiford
6. Holiday
7. Ferguson
8. Clowney

Give me a break..It was Christmas of '03..He actually showed some promise back then.. :oops:

BF4MVP
08-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Well we know of one...
<----------------------

Bretsky
08-10-2007, 09:47 PM

1. Driver
2. Jennings
4. Martin
5. Bodiford
6. Holiday
7. Ferguson
8. Clowney

Give me a break..It was Christmas of '03..He actually showed some promise back then.. :oops:

Yes, he was a promising potential puke in 01,02,03,04,05, and 06 :wink: