PDA

View Full Version : Official 2007 Kool-Aid Thread

Joemailman
08-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Favre is more mobile and is due for a big year.

James Jones reminds me of a young Sterling Sharpe.

Donald Driver reminds me of...Donald Driver

Brandon Jackson looks like a faster version of Edgar Bennett.

Ruvell Martin should be a great endzone target.

Bubba could be comeback player of the year.

Daryn Colledge is the next Mike Wahle

Jason Spitz could be another Marco Rivera.

Aaron Kampman reminds me of...Aaron Kampman

Corey Williams may be the most underrated DT in the game.

KGB will benefit from not having to play every down.

Cullen Jenkins will force the run game inside to Hawk and Barnett.

A.J. Hawk reminds me of Ray Nitschke.

Nick Collins will emerge as a premier safety.

Charles Woodson will be even better because his shoulder is healthy.

Marquand Manuel is healthy and faster, but even that may not be enough to hold off the talented youngsters.

The offense will now be familiar to everyone and should be improved.

Oh wait, I almost forgot...

Fergy is due for a breakout year! :bump: :glug: :wow: :five:

Bretsky
08-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Is this a Kool Aide Fountain ? I have to go to the bathroom :lol:

TennesseePackerBacker
08-08-2007, 06:18 PM
i am speechless

Scott Campbell
08-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Here's some Koolaide:

Aaron Rogers is to Brett Favre

what Steve Young is to Joe Montana.

:D

Scott Campbell
08-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Zac Alcorn will be the next Mark Chmura - sans the hot tub.

MJZiggy
08-08-2007, 07:25 PM
I know of one rat who might not mind a hot tub with him in it...

BallHawk
08-08-2007, 07:41 PM
I know of one rat who might not mind a hot tub with him in it...

I know of a few. :wink:

BEARMAN
08-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Here's some Koolaide:

LOL, LMAO, ROTFLMFAO, :bs: :doh:

Carolina_Packer
08-08-2007, 08:41 PM
Wow, Joemailman! You added some extra sugar to that batch of Kool-Aid.

May all of those things come true this year!

GBRulz
08-08-2007, 08:46 PM

pfft to Chewy. Zac Alcorn will be the next Tony Gonzalez :thank:

Carolina_Packer
08-08-2007, 08:54 PM

pfft to Chewy. Zac Alcorn will be the next Tony Gonzalez :thank:

I predicted the same thing about Ben "The Animal" Steele a couple of years ago. Boy, was that hard to live down. Of course, there was something spiking my Kool-Aid then.

GBRulz
08-08-2007, 08:56 PM
haha, Carolina... a little kool-aid in your vodka, perhaps? :wink:

PackerTimer
08-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Marquand Manuel is healthy and faster, but even that may not be enough to hold off the talented youngsters.

:lol:

I am always optimistic but no amount of a Kool aid could make me buy the first part of this. The second part, I'm on board with.

CaliforniaCheez
08-08-2007, 09:31 PM
I'm not sure if the cup of Kool-Aid is half full or half empty.

Joemailman
08-08-2007, 09:33 PM
It's Kool-Aid. That makes it half full.

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Well done, sir.

RashanGary
08-08-2007, 10:02 PM
I just bet $100 on the Packers to win 8 or more games. If they win 8 or more I get $120. If they lose 9 or more I lose $100.

I went to bodog.com. They had the best line that I found for betting on the over. I also got a bonus $10 and I threw that on the Packers winning the NFC north. If they win the North, I get $55. That's probably not a good bet, but it will make the chase for the north title a lot more fun :)

Anyway, does betting on the Packers to win 8 games make me a member of the kool aid club?

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Right on the money
By BOB McGINN

Green Bay - If the Green Bay Packers ever want to toss the dice and go after an expensive player, this year and next look like as good a chance as any to do it.

Brimming with salary-cap room and with nowhere they have to spend it, the Packers can play out 2007 and head into free agency next winter in prime shape.

"Quite frankly, every team goes at it differently," general manager Ted Thompson said Wednesday. "If you think you've got a shot to do something, maybe you become like the Yankees and say, 'OK, fine. We'll go for it.' I'm not knocking the Yankees, but they can throw some money at it and fix it."

Thompson's steady-as-she-goes stint astride the Packers' football helm suggests Yankee-like aggressiveness isn't forthcoming. Should he change course, however, the money is there for him to make waves.

Presently, the Packers stand $13.3 million beneath their adjusted salary cap of $109.653 million, giving them the ninth-most room in the National Football League. Of their 90 players under contract, 71 have deals beyond this season.

Of those 19 players with expiring contracts, there's not one that the Packers must break the bank to retain.

"We're always involved in something," said Thompson. "But I wouldn't categorize anything as pressing."

Among the six unrestricted free agents, tight end Donald Lee is the only starter and defensive tackle Corey Williams perhaps is the most valuable.

Running back Vernand Morency heads the six-man class of upcoming restricted free agents, but he would have a lot to prove before the Packers would deem it expedient to throw money at him.

Thompson has based his rebuilding effort around the draft, not free agency or the trade market. Draft choices are younger and work cheaper than veterans, which is one reason the Packers have such vigorous financial health.

At the same time, Thompson decided against what he considered overspending to retain such players as Mike Wahle, Marco Rivera and Darren Sharper in 2005, Ryan Longwell and Mike Flanagan in '06, and Ahman Green and David Martin in '07.

It's also possible that Javon Walker might have stayed in Green Bay if Thompson quietly would have satisfied his monetary requests before runaway emotions on both sides led to his trade in April 2006.

Since taking over in January 2005, Thompson has made his most significant cash outlays by extending the contracts of such players as Bubba Franks, Aaron Kampman, Donald Driver, Scott Wells, Al Harris, Nick Barnett and Cullen Jenkins. Of the group, only the Franks signing can be questioned.

"We want to make sure we're in a position where we can make decisions based on football merit as opposed to dollar signs," Thompson said. "We don't want to be in that type of position ever. So we try to make good decisions, sign our own players and go forward.

"If we need to do something or have an opportunity to do something we're in a position where we can do that and not stretch ourselves too thin. Simple as that. Same way someone would with a budget anywhere."

Even 18 months from now, the Packers should have few concerns. The only players of substance due to become unrestricted free agents in March 2009 are Mark Tauscher and Brady Poppinga. Tauscher will have played 10 seasons by then and might be nearing the end, and Poppinga has yet to prove he's a long-term starter.

"We work hard to try to provide flexibility for the present while protecting the future," said Andrew Brandt, who negotiates almost every contract as vice president of player finance.

The Packers also have gone well past the point where the retirement of Brett Favre would damage their cap. If Favre retires after this season, with three years left on his contract, his $12 million base salary for 2008 would become void. The only cap remaining charges would be $600,000 in '08 and $300,000 in '09.

As it stands now, the Packers rank about 23rd in so-called "dead money" at $3.2 million (3.3% of their cap), well down from about $7.2 million 12 months ago.

Only six departed players are counting more than $100,000 against Green Bay's cap, including Ahmad Carroll ($1.861 million), Cory Rodgers ($348,840), Kevin Barry ($306,720), Donnell Washington ($177,500), Mark Roman ($175,000) and B.J. Sander ($145,907).

Contrast that with the Houston Texans, who have nine of their ex-players counting more than $1 million. The Texans lead the NFL with $32 million.

"'Dead money' is just part of doing business," Thompson said. "I don't know we did better or were smarter. Maybe we were luckier. This is a game of people."

Using a "pay as you go" philosophy, the Packers have used favorable cap situations in recent years to front-load contracts of their veterans. Most NFL deals provide more money to players the longer they play, but in many cases the Packers structured contracts to use up immediate cap space and lessen the load later.

A total of 18 players presently counting $1 million or more against Green Bay's cap have contracts for next year. Thirteen of those 18 players have cap-salary increases for '08 that total $8.81 million whereas the other five show decreases next year totaling $4.61 million.

Unlike some teams, the Packers haven't had to cut useful players because the later years of their contracts became prohibitive. With the salary cap expected to rise another $8 million or so next year, the Packers will have more than enough room to maneuver.

"As best we can, we're comfortable trying to stay a little bit ahead of the game," said Thompson. "I do think teams are better now at managing this end of the football process."

RashanGary
08-09-2007, 06:24 AM
Right on the money
By BOB McGINN

"If we need to do something or have an opportunity to do something we're in a position where we can do that and not stretch ourselves too thin. Simple as that. Same way someone would with a budget anywhere."

HOW LONG HAVE I BEEN SAYING THIS. You read this Retailguy, oh cyinical one? How many times have you sarcastically insulted my salary cap comparisons to "any budget?" I try to bring something people can relate to, to the discussion by comparing it to any budget like a family budget and you have made your classic one lined sarcastic posts; belittling what others say. Well, genius, how does this feel?

I like to say "let's see how it goes" and over time, one thing after another, my stance is going to be proven right. I'd like to think I'm big enough not to rub your cocky nose in it but you've been a rude, sarcastic little pig and I'm affraid that it might do you some good to have your nose rubbed in defacation that you leave in our living quarters. Yeah, another metapor, genius.

sepporepi
08-09-2007, 07:56 AM
just bet $100 on the Packers to win 8 or more games. If they win 8 or more I get $120. If they lose 9 or more I lose $100.

I went to bodog.com. They had the best line that I found for betting on the over. I also got a bonus $10 and I threw that on the Packers winning the NFC north.

I just checked betfair.com. There you get 2.22 for more than 7.5 wins.
Thats slightly better, but I just placed a 10€ bet anyway :oops:

sepporepi
08-09-2007, 08:01 AM
For the division win you can get a 6 there.

Green Bud Packer
08-09-2007, 08:03 AM
the driver-jennings duo will be compared to the lofton-jefferson duo

Scott Campbell
08-09-2007, 08:04 AM
"We work hard to try to provide flexibility for the present while protecting the future," said Andrew Brandt, who negotiates almost every contract as vice president of player finance.

It's been pretty obvious that Ted places a premium on retaining flexibity. If he values that flexibility more than the spendy price tag on that marginal free agent, he's chosen to retain the flexibility. That's how it's gone this year. That's not always how it went last year.

There's clearly a little more to Ted than him just being "cheap".

wist43
08-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Drug addicts... they have 12 step programs for this type of thing, ya know???

Green Bud Packer
08-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Rehab is for quitters. They tell you that you can get the same kool-aid high on hawaiian punch but thats a bunch of b.s. Oh yeah,kool-aid

Scott Campbell
08-09-2007, 08:18 AM
Drug addicts... they have 12 step programs for this type of thing, ya know???

Severe depression....they have lots of drugs availble for this kind of thing, ya know???

Bretsky
08-09-2007, 08:33 AM
It's Kool-Aid. That makes it half full.

Let is start flowing Saturday

Bretsky
08-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Right on the money
By BOB McGINN

Green Bay - If the Green Bay Packers ever want to toss the dice and go after an expensive player, this year and next look like as good a chance as any to do it.

Brimming with salary-cap room and with nowhere they have to spend it, the Packers can play out 2007 and head into free agency next winter in prime shape.

"Quite frankly, every team goes at it differently," general manager Ted Thompson said Wednesday. "If you think you've got a shot to do something, maybe you become like the Yankees and say, 'OK, fine. We'll go for it.' I'm not knocking the Yankees, but they can throw some money at it and fix it."

Thompson's steady-as-she-goes stint astride the Packers' football helm suggests Yankee-like aggressiveness isn't forthcoming. Should he change course, however, the money is there for him to make waves.

Presently, the Packers stand $13.3 million beneath their adjusted salary cap of $109.653 million, giving them the ninth-most room in the National Football League. Of their 90 players under contract, 71 have deals beyond this season.

Of those 19 players with expiring contracts, there's not one that the Packers must break the bank to retain.

"We're always involved in something," said Thompson. "But I wouldn't categorize anything as pressing."

Among the six unrestricted free agents, tight end Donald Lee is the only starter and defensive tackle Corey Williams perhaps is the most valuable.

Running back Vernand Morency heads the six-man class of upcoming restricted free agents, but he would have a lot to prove before the Packers would deem it expedient to throw money at him.

Thompson has based his rebuilding effort around the draft, not free agency or the trade market. Draft choices are younger and work cheaper than veterans, which is one reason the Packers have such vigorous financial health.

At the same time, Thompson decided against what he considered overspending to retain such players as Mike Wahle, Marco Rivera and Darren Sharper in 2005, Ryan Longwell and Mike Flanagan in '06, and Ahman Green and David Martin in '07.

It's also possible that Javon Walker might have stayed in Green Bay if Thompson quietly would have satisfied his monetary requests before runaway emotions on both sides led to his trade in April 2006.

Since taking over in January 2005, Thompson has made his most significant cash outlays by extending the contracts of such players as Bubba Franks, Aaron Kampman, Donald Driver, Scott Wells, Al Harris, Nick Barnett and Cullen Jenkins. Of the group, only the Franks signing can be questioned.

"We want to make sure we're in a position where we can make decisions based on football merit as opposed to dollar signs," Thompson said. "We don't want to be in that type of position ever. So we try to make good decisions, sign our own players and go forward.

Even 18 months from now, the Packers should have few concerns. The only players of substance due to become unrestricted free agents in March 2009 are Mark Tauscher and Brady Poppinga. Tauscher will have played 10 seasons by then and might be nearing the end, and Poppinga has yet to prove he's a long-term starter.

The Packers also have gone well past the point where the retirement of Brett Favre would damage their cap. If Favre retires after this season, with three years left on his contract, his $12 million base salary for 2008 would become void. The only cap remaining charges would be $600,000 in '08 and $300,000 in '09.

As it stands now, the Packers rank about 23rd in so-called "dead money" at $3.2 million (3.3% of their cap), well down from about $7.2 million 12 months ago.

Only six departed players are counting more than $100,000 against Green Bay's cap, including Ahmad Carroll ($1.861 million), Cory Rodgers ($348,840), Kevin Barry ($306,720), Donnell Washington ($177,500), Mark Roman ($175,000) and B.J. Sander ($145,907).

Contrast that with the Houston Texans, who have nine of their ex-players counting more than $1 million. The Texans lead the NFL with $32 million.

"'Dead money' is just part of doing business," Thompson said. "I don't know we did better or were smarter. Maybe we were luckier. This is a game of people."

Using a "pay as you go" philosophy, the Packers have used favorable cap situations in recent years to front-load contracts of their veterans. Most NFL deals provide more money to players the longer they play, but in many cases the Packers structured contracts to use up immediate cap space and lessen the load later.

A total of 18 players presently counting $1 million or more against Green Bay's cap have contracts for next year. Thirteen of those 18 players have cap-salary increases for '08 that total $8.81 million whereas the other five show decreases next year totaling $4.61 million.

Unlike some teams, the Packers haven't had to cut useful players because the later years of their contracts became prohibitive. With the salary cap expected to rise another $8 million or so next year, the Packers will have more than enough room to maneuver.

"As best we can, we're comfortable trying to stay a little bit ahead of the game," said Thompson. "I do think teams are better now at managing this end of the football process."

This article is a tough read; so we don't have many of our own to sign next year. Maybe that will force TT to spend money in free agency. Many teams have a lot of available cap space so I doubt there is a load of talent out there........similar to this year. With more space and teams in better shape cap wise there may even be less available and it may drive prices up even more.

The past two free agency periods we've been in salary cap heaven and able to make major free agent signings if we chose to; next year will be the same.

I guess if it's McGinns point to hint that we'll almost have to next year it's well taken.

Bretsky
08-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Come to think of it Harv, that article deserves it's own thread but it's probably better not having one as it will end up being one more good ole fight again about the TT methodology :lol:

Jerry Tagge
08-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Aaron Rodgers will be better than David Whitehurst.

Justin Harrell is the next Dave Roller.

Marquand Manuel reminds me of a young Steve Luke.

Daryn Colledge is a young Derrell Gofourth.

Brandon Jackson will tear it up like Terdell Middleton.

Bubba Franks is a more talented Ed West.

Brandon Miree will make everyone forget about Barty Smith.

Greg Jennings is a lightning quick Steve Odom.

Dave Rayner will turn out to be a more accurate version of Al Del Greco.

Nobody will ever take the place of Estus Hood.

woodbuck27
08-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Here's some Koolaide:

No Kidding. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Aaron Rodgers couldn't make a CFL team.

woodbuck27
08-09-2007, 05:05 PM

It's been pretty obvious that Ted places a premium on retaining flexibity. If he values that flexibility more than the spendy price tag on that marginal free agent, he's chosen to retain the flexibility. That's how it's gone this year. That's not always how it went last year.

There's clearly a little more to Ted than him just being "cheap".

There was dumb and dummer . . .now we have dumbest.

That evolves from being both cheap and dumb,

MJZiggy
08-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Here's some Koolaide:

No Kidding. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Aaron Rodgers couldn't make a CFL team. :trll:

Scott Campbell
08-09-2007, 06:59 PM

Woody!

How is that within the spirit of this thread? Who peed in your Koolaide?

Bretsky
08-09-2007, 07:06 PM

Woody!

How is that within the spirit of this thread? Who peed in your Koolaide?

Don't tell anybody, but while you were all a sleeping I peed in the kool aide fountain.......five times last night :lol: