PDA

View Full Version : Peterson Misses 10th Practice Of Camp

Scott Campbell
08-08-2007, 06:59 PM
http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1350014.html

Peterson's light duty is not a concern for staff

Adrian Peterson missed his 10th practice of training camp, and his status for the Vikings' preseason opener Friday has not yet been decided.

By Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Last update: August 07, 2007 – 10:50 PM

MANKATO - Rookie tailback Adrian Peterson missed his 10th practice of training camp Tuesday morning, and his status for the Vikings' preseason opener Friday against St. Louis has not yet been decided.

Peterson suffered a hip pointer Aug. 2, and the Vikings are taking a cautious approach to his recovery. He returned to practice Saturday against Kansas City, but the Vikings held him out of some contact drills Monday morning and shut him down entirely Tuesday morning.

Peterson participated in Tuesday's afternoon session, a 75-minute workout in which players did not wear helmets and ran at about 50 percent.

"We are just going day-to-day with that muscle soreness," coach Brad Childress said. "We want to make sure we don't compound that thing, yet he is being aggressive with how he is treating it and trying to get back on the football field."

Peterson missed the summer's first five practices because of a contract holdout and has been sidelined for another five because of the hip pointer. The Vikings, meanwhile, have limited his contact in three of the 10 practices in which he has participated.

Peterson did not appear concerned as he walked to the locker room Tuesday.

"It's just a day off," Peterson said. "That's all. It's fine."

RashanGary
08-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Boom or bust pick. I like one Vikings fan so I'll refrain from saying anything bad that might hurt other peoples feelings :)

Rastak
08-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Boom or bust pick. I like one Vikings fan so I'll refrain from saying anything bad that might hurt other peoples feelings :)

:o

Actually, I agree. If he's hurt all the time then it's bust. We'll see. Lots of guys have missed a few days with simililar stuff. Chester Taylor bruised his arm and missed a few days. Hip pointers do suck however as they hurt like the dickens. It's some practices at camp. I'd even be ok sitting him Friday, although I hear he may play.

He's looking pretty solid so far, other than the missed block here and there on pass protection.

Cheesehead Craig
08-08-2007, 09:50 PM
I just wonder if the hip flexor continues to keep him out of practice, how much of an impact can he really make this season missing that much time. Add this into that he's hardly played since last October (I think that's when he got hurt) and eventually the rust catches up with you.

What are your thoughts Rastak?

Deputy Nutz
08-08-2007, 10:16 PM
The question isn't if Peterson is a boom or a bust do to injury, it is whether he is a pre-madona and whether or not he can play hurt. It is toughness that keeps you in the league, everyone gets hurt and injured in the NFL, it is the ability to deal with that pain and play on.

The Leaper
08-09-2007, 08:15 AM
The question isn't if Peterson is a boom or a bust do to injury, it is whether he is a pre-madona and whether or not he can play hurt.

I dunno. It wasn't like the injuries in college were ones he could simply "gut it out" and play through. You also don't draft guys in the top 10 picks because they can "gut it out"...you draft them there because they are game changers when healthy.

Thus, the key to Peterson's career is staying healthy so he can be the game changer we saw on the field at Oklahoma. Merely being OK because he spends too much time "gutting out" injuries means he is a bust IMO.

Rastak
08-09-2007, 08:22 AM
I just wonder if the hip flexor continues to keep him out of practice, how much of an impact can he really make this season missing that much time. Add this into that he's hardly played since last October (I think that's when he got hurt) and eventually the rust catches up with you.

He's looked pretty good, he's back at practice and the preseason hasn't even started. It's WAY WAY WAY too early to say he won't make an impact. Morency is hurt worse than Peterson at this point. Peterson took an elbow to
the hip during a tackle, no structural damage.

By the way, he played in January in the Fiesta Bowl I believe.

Rastak
08-09-2007, 08:23 AM
The question isn't if Peterson is a boom or a bust do to injury, it is whether he is a pre-madona and whether or not he can play hurt. It is toughness that keeps you in the league, everyone gets hurt and injured in the NFL, it is the ability to deal with that pain and play on.

My understanding he plays hurt. He wanted to play right now, coaching staff was holding him out.

Leaper: To call a guy a bust before a single down of preseason is bordering on the absurd.

Scott Campbell
08-09-2007, 08:24 AM
You also don't draft guys in the top 10 picks because they can "gut it out"...you draft them there because they are game changers when healthy.

I don't see him as a top 10 pick. Without the injury concerns, Peterson might have been a top 2 pick.

Rastak
08-09-2007, 08:26 AM
You also don't draft guys in the top 10 picks because they can "gut it out"...you draft them there because they are game changers when healthy.

I don't see him as a top 10 pick. Without the injury concerns, Peterson might have been a top 2 pick.

On a side note, I was reading an ESPN chat and a Viking fan asked the following question...which was funny as hell...

"Any chance of the Vikings getting to .500 or is my best hope just watching Adrian Peterson until he gets hurt?"

Scott Campbell
08-09-2007, 08:31 AM

On a side note, I was reading an ESPN chat and a Viking fan asked the following question...which was funny as hell...

"Any chance of the Vikings getting to .500 or is my best hope just watching Adrian Peterson until he gets hurt?"

I wasn't aware that people were that down on the Vikings this year until I saw that PFT had them at #30 in their power rankings. None of it means much.

Cheesehead Craig
08-09-2007, 08:38 AM

He's looked pretty good, he's back at practice and the preseason hasn't even started. It's WAY WAY WAY too early to say he won't make an impact. Morency is hurt worse than Peterson at this point. Peterson took an elbow to
the hip during a tackle, no structural damage.

By the way, he played in January in the Fiesta Bowl I believe.
Thanks for the camp update. Given he's a rookie, I wasn't sure how much missing practice was going to hurt him come the regular season.

The Leaper
08-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Leaper: To call a guy a bust before a single down of preseason is bordering on the absurd.

I'm not saying he is already a bust to me. I was disagreeing with the notion that he is not a boom-or-bust based on injury...that we need to see if he can "gut-it-out".

In terms of his talent, I think we all generally accept the guy is going to be a stud when healthy. When he plays 16 games, he will be considered for the Pro Bowl most years. That is what you want from a top ten pick.

If he is less than that because he has to "gut-it-out" all the time at under 100%, then he turns out to be a wasted pick from my point of view. The Vikings are taking him hoping he will remain healthy and be a game changer...not a plodding RB "gutting it out" through various injuries.

The Vikings rolled the dice on Peterson. I think it is a good gamble to take based on his physical talent, but if he can't stay on the field consistently at near 100% it will turn out to be a busted pick, even with OK production. Green Bay has the same situation with Hawk...if he isn't a game changer, then he was a wasted pick at #5 overall.

The Leaper
08-09-2007, 08:46 AM
I wasn't aware that people were that down on the Vikings this year until I saw that PFT had them at #30 in their power rankings. None of it means much.

They just have NOTHING at QB...basically, the Vikings at QB is the same as the Packers at RB. Unfortunately for the Vikings, QB is a little more important than RB.

Even if Tavaris or someone else pans out better than expected, it is unlikely they will be any better than average considering their level of experience.

Rastak
08-09-2007, 10:33 AM

They just have NOTHING at QB...basically, the Vikings at QB is the same as the Packers at RB. Unfortunately for the Vikings, QB is a little more important than RB.

Even if Tavaris or someone else pans out better than expected, it is unlikely they will be any better than average considering their level of experience.

I wish I could jump and down and argue "you are wrong" but it's more likely they will struggle this year than they will be successful. The positive as a Viking fan is that they have a bunch of young skill players so maybe next year they can make a move.

MAYBE this year but I have my doubts.....

The Leaper
08-09-2007, 11:00 AM
I wish I could jump and down and argue "you are wrong" but it's more likely they will struggle this year than they will be successful. The positive as a Viking fan is that they have a bunch of young skill players so maybe next year they can make a move.

Mike Vick might come cheap in a couple years. :shock: :twisted: :shock:

MJZiggy
08-09-2007, 11:05 AM

Mike Vick might come cheap in a couple years. :shock: :twisted: :shock:

Years? Try weeks...

The Leaper
08-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Years? Try weeks...

Well, I'm figuring he might be spending a little time playing in the FPFL first...federal prison football league. I doubt the Feds are going to let him plea this away when they've got him dead to rights.