PDA

View Full Version : TRAINING CAMP REPORT, from a fan. Thursday, Aug. 9, 2007

gbpackfan
08-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Just got back from morning practice. Here is my report.

If you don't remember my reports from last year, here is my disclaimer. I am not a sports writer nor do I claim to be. I am not a scout, nor do I claim to be. I am just a fan. If you don't like my "report," then go to camp yourself and write your own.

ONE LINERS (or two, or three)

Spitz looks to have lost some weight around the mid-section.

Jon Ryan could have played Powder.

James Jones does catch the ball nicely but he certainly isn't a speedster.

Ruvell Martin is running much, much better then last year.

QB Thompson looks like he has some more upside then Martin.

Holiday dropped a pass, but it was slightly behind him. He caught everything else in sight. Looked good.

Hodge better be worried about Desmond Bishop taking his roster spot. He played very well.

Speaking of back-up LB's, Tim Goodwell was all over the field.

Just Harrell is a head taller then everyone other D-linemen. He is a BIG man.

Harrell played a little DE during 11 on 11s.

Dendy and Blackman started during 11 on 11s.

M. Manuel is still the starting SS. Rouse got very little reps.

A. Rodgers looked sloppy. He threw two near picks, that should have been int's, and then he did throw and int.

Hall looked good.

Brandon Jackson found a hole along the right side and took it for 15 before being touched.

The O line looked real good. It is difficult to tell with out pads, but I could see the difference from last year.

Favre was Favre. He still has it.

The back up punter Ryan Daugherety is kind of fat.

The FG kickers both sucked. Dave Rayner missed one by about 15 yards to the left.

Jarrett Bush looked good. Def. more physically gifted then Dendy.

No one spoke to Dendy during pre-practice warm-ups.

Donald Driver had his right knee wrapped in ice at the end of practice.

MM didnt join the team until about 9:15. Then, he let most of his coaches do the work. This was WAY different from last year. He is letting his coaches coach more this year. I have no idea if he was late, why he was late or if he was doing something along the sidelines and I didnt immediately see him.

Nick Barnett drives a jet black Range Rover with illegaly tinted windows.

Clowney looked fast on kick returns and on deep balls.

Bodiford had a bad drop.

AJ Hawk looks very comportable. He is so solidly built it is down right scary.

Rory Johnson did nothing on the field but was forced to get all the D-linemens "shells," smaller shoulder pads, before practice. He carried about 6 of them over to the vet. D-linemen. It was funny.

Half way through the practice, Hawk went behind the Don Hudson center. Not IN, but BEHIND. My guess, he had to take a piss.

Jason Spitz ran over Pat Murray during blocking drills. Murray ended up on his back and all his teammates were mocking him. Pretty embarassing.

The RB situation is scary. We are so thin. I can't believe TT hasn't added anyone yet.

STUDS AND DUDS

STUDS -

1. Nick Collins - Okay, Nick almost went in the DUDS area because he didn't hang with his teammates during the walk through period of practice. For about 20 minutes he stood by himself with a football and then started playing catch with Bigby. At one point, Lionel Washington told them to stop playing catch. HOWEVER, during 11 on 11's, Collins was all over the field. He certianly stood out. He is as physically gifted as any S in the league. He had some WOW plays. Manuel was no where to be seen.

2. Noah Herron - Mr. Dependable. I was never his biggest fan but his value as a 3rd down back is greater then ever right now. Assignment sure and always knows how to get open in the flat. I can't imagine him not making the team at this point. He picked up every blitzer and made a nice catch out of the back field that would have been a 20 yard gain in a game.

DUDS -

1. Aaron Rodgers - Damn, I thought this guy was getting it. I guess not. He was TERRIBLE today. He is lucky he didnt throw three picks today. Nothing that gained more then 10 yards and he was late almost every down. Favre, please don't EVER retire.

2. Brandon Jackson - Boy, the kid can run the ball but he can't figure out his assignments. During one play, he was suppose to run a pattern but instead ran towards Brett ready to get the ball. When Favre went past him, he just stood there looking at him. The play was stopped and Brett started pointing down field. I assume he was showing him the route he was suppose to run. Then, during 11 on 11's, he completely whiffed on a blitz pick up. The LB came from Favre's left and Jackson went to the right. By the time he realized his mistake, the LB was all over Brett. I know he is a rookie but damn. The light has to turn on sometime, right?

If I forgot something, I'll add it later. Hope you like it.

The Leaper
08-09-2007, 02:49 PM
RB is going to really hurt us this season. I had reasonable hopes for Morency to step up into a larger role, but this injury is going to prevent him from making any real strides forward. Jackson lacks experience. Herron lacks talent.

I want to see more of guys like Harrell and Jolly out at DE. Montgomery is a joke out there...we can use a capable backup for Kampman.

Green Bud Packer
08-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the report. Nothing on the T.E's though.

Sometimes no news is good news but in camp no news is no plays. No good.

wist43
08-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the report... I haven't commented much on the scrimmage, so I'll just use that as a means of augmenting your comments - be they complimentary or contrary.

---------------------

Jackson showed good hands during the scrimmage, and wasn't completely terrible in pass protection; but, I fully him to get Brett nailed a few times this season.

Rodgers looked pretty bad in the scrimmage too... I've seen nothing from this guy, from day one, to indicate that he'll ever be a player - let alone an elite QB capable of leading the team to a championship - and, given that GB's offensive system is completely QB driven, that makes for a pretty bleak looking future, post-Favre.

Can't imagine why they would move Harrell outside... he's strictly a DT. During the scrimmage he was consistently playing too tall and the OL were able to leverage him right out of there. He's got to get his pads down. If Scott Wells can walk you back 3 yds into the end zone on 2nd and goal from the one - you're either not strong enough to even play in the league, or you're technique is terrible. It's obviously the latter.

James Jones had the "just a guy" tag going into the draft, and that's what he looks like to date. Good hands, good size, pedestrian speed, pedestrian athleticism... dime a dozen kind of guy.

Bush, Blackmon, Bigby, and Tramon Williams all look like they could be players. They have to prove it over time though - a lot of guys can flash ability... wheat from the chaff.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Good to hear the o-line is playing well, they need to be a strength this year. It may sound dumb, but I'm somewhat happy to hear that Jackson's problems are not knowing his assignments because hopefully after a couple pre-season games he will get it.

wist43
08-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Good to hear the o-line is playing well, they need to be a strength this year. It may sound dumb, but I'm somewhat happy to hear that Jackson's problems are not knowing his assignments because hopefully after a couple pre-season games he will get it.

My biggest concerns with Jackson is pass protection and durability. Morency is a marshmellow, and Herron is a fringe player. If Jackson or Wynn doesn't step and take the job, it'll be a long year watching them try to run the ball - or protect Favre.

The Leaper
08-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Can't imagine why they would move Harrell outside... he's strictly a DT.

They probably would like to move someone out there. Harrell/Williams/Jolly/Pickett/Cole is awful crowded at DT. We have a pretty big hole behind Kampman at LDE. Montgomery will never be stout against the run, and he can't rush the passer all that well either.

Personally, I'd rather see Jolly move out there. He seems to have the strength and developed the rush moves to be a capable power DE. He could help spell Kampman on early downs, allowing him to be more effective as a rusher and in the 4th quarter. Imagine a potential first down front line of Jenkins, Williams, Pickett, Jolly...good luck running on that. That's 4 DTs...but with enough athleticism to still keep the passing game honest.

woodbuck27
08-09-2007, 03:24 PM

If you don't remember my reports from last year, here is my disclaimer. I am not a sports writer nor do I claim to be. I am not a scout, nor do I claim to be. I am just a fan. If you don't like my "report," then go to camp yourself and write your own.

woodbuck27:

Please explain the term Powder. I'm not understanding this. :)

woodbuck27:

Does he concentrate well and have strength?

woodbuck27:

Ruuvellll !!

Holiday dropped a pass, but it was slightly behind him. He caught everything else in sight. Looked good.

Hodge better be worried about Desmond Bishop taking his roster spot. He played very well.

woodbuck27:

Is M. Manuel looking more impressive to you? How does he look compared to Collins and Underwood?

A. Rodgers looked sloppy. He threw two near picks, that should have been int's, and then he did throw and int.

woodbuck27:

He won't be our starting QB (if ever) for too long. Favre even knows that or he may have retired.

Hall looked good.

woodbuck27:

Great !! :)

Brandon Jackson found a hole along the right side and took it for 15 before being touched.

woodbuck27:

Where was the SAM or the safety - either one of them ?

The O line looked real good. It is difficult to tell with out pads, but I could see the difference from last year.

woodbuck27:

He really hoped (again) for more support this season. What a bummer for him.

woodbuck27:

He'll have lotsd of time to get fast food soon. :)

The FG kickers both sucked. Dave Rayner missed one by about 15 yards to the left.

woodbuck27:

How does Blackmon look compared to Bush?

woodbuck27:

Yikes !!

MM didnt join the team until about 9:15. Then, he let most of his coaches do the work. This was WAY different from last year. He is letting his coaches coach more this year. I have no idea if he was late, why he was late or if he was doing something along the sidelines and I didnt immediately see him.

woodbuck27:

Whooops. Bad news!!

Now wist43 will report that to the Police. :)

Bodiford had a bad drop.

woodbuck27:

Bodiford or Clowney? Your gut feeling?

Rory Johnson did nothing on the field but was forced to get all the D-linemens "shells," smaller shoulder pads, before practice. He carried about 6 of them over to the vet. D-linemen. It was funny.

Half way through the practice, Hawk went behind the Don Hudson center. Not IN, but BEHIND. My guess, he had to take a piss.

woodbuck27:

Ahhh great. Just a regular guy that may have enjoyed Nick Barnett's bar last season?

Jason Spitz ran over Pat Murray during blocking drills. Murray ended up on his back and all his teammates were mocking him. Pretty embarassing.

The RB situation is scary. We are so thin. I can't believe TT hasn't added anyone yet.

woodbuck27:

Everyone is wondering that but TT. Actually, TT is just thinking or waiting for a telephone call.

Besides. . . .

TT's confident in his RB's anyway.

STUDS AND DUDS

STUDS -

1. Nick Collins - Okay, Nick almost went in the DUDS area because he didn't hang with his teammates during the walk through period of practice. For about 20 minutes he stood by himself with a football and then started playing catch with Bigby. At one point, Lionel Washington told them to stop playing catch. HOWEVER, during 11 on 11's, Collins was all over the field. He certianly stood out. He is as physically gifted as any S in the league. He had some WOW plays. Manuel was no where to be seen.

2. Noah Herron - Mr. Dependable. I was never his biggest fan but his value as a 3rd down back is greater then ever right now. Assignment sure and always knows how to get open in the flat. I can't imagine him not making the team at this point. He picked up every blitzer and made a nice catch out of the back field that would have been a 20 yard gain in a game.

woodbuck27:

Having Herron 'as a lock' perfectly illustrates our plight at RB.

DUDS -

1. Aaron Rodgers - Damn, I thought this guy was getting it. I guess not. He was TERRIBLE today. He is lucky he didnt throw three picks today. Nothing that gained more then 10 yards and he was late almost every down. Favre, please don't EVER retire.

woodbuck27:

Start that Brett Favre 'PLEASE DON'T RETIRE' fan club. You'll have a fast growing membership so charge money. :)

2. Brandon Jackson - Boy, the kid can run the ball but he can't figure out his assignments. During one play, he was suppose to run a pattern but instead ran towards Brett ready to get the ball. When Favre went past him, he just stood there looking at him. The play was stopped and Brett started pointing down field. I assume he was showing him the route he was suppose to run. Then, during 11 on 11's, he completely whiffed on a blitz pick up. The LB came from Favre's left and Jackson went to the right. By the time he realized his mistake, the LB was all over Brett. I know he is a rookie but damn. The light has to turn on sometime, right?

woodbuck27:

He's just a rookie.

woodbuck27:

THANKS A BUNCH, gbpackfan. Nice report. :)

GBRulz
08-09-2007, 03:31 PM
thanks for the report, gb!

Where there alot of people there this morning?

Brainerd
08-09-2007, 04:35 PM

woodbuck27:

Its from a movie by the same name http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114168/

HarveyWallbangers
08-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Nick Barnett drives... with illegaly tinted windows.

There are shitload of players that have this. Why single out Barnett?

Brainerd
08-09-2007, 04:40 PM

Because he doesn't want Roger suspending him for violating league policy as it relates to law enforcement. :D

Rastak
08-09-2007, 05:00 PM

Maybe he only saw his windows?

woodbuck27
08-09-2007, 05:01 PM

woodbuck27:

Its from a movie by the same name http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114168/

Clued in now. I think. :)

Thanks.

Scott Campbell
08-09-2007, 05:07 PM

Because of all his false steps.

gbpackfan
08-09-2007, 07:02 PM

Just making an observation. Don't read too much into it. It was a nice truck.

esoxx
08-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Jackson won't see the field much if he doesn't greatly improve his blitz pickup. Not until he gets to the point where the coaches have confidence he can handle it.

I see a lot of TE's motioning into the backfield again this season. Glad we could get that cleaned up a bit this off-season.

Freak Out
08-09-2007, 07:11 PM
My biggest concerns with Jackson is pass protection and durability. Morency is a marshmellow, and Herron is a fringe player. If Jackson or Wynn doesn't step and take the job, it'll be a long year watching them try to run the ball - or protect Favre.

My thoughts exactly, most rookie RBs have a bunch of work to do in pass protection before they are not a liability back there.

gbpackfan
08-09-2007, 07:34 PM

woodbuck27:

Please explain the term Powder. I'm not understanding this. :) MOVIE

woodbuck27:

Does he concentrate well and have strength? GOOD CONCENTRATION, WAS ABLE TO BEAT THE JAM OF 2nd STRING CORNERS.

woodbuck27:

Ruuvellll !!

woodbuck27:

Is M. Manuel looking more impressive to you? How does he look compared to Collins and Underwood? MANUEL DOES NOT LOOK IMPRESSIVE. UNDERWOOD DID NOT SEE THE FIELD. COLLINS LOOKS LIKE AN ALL-PRO IN THE MAKING. THEY DO NOT COMPARE. MANUEL DID NOT GET BEAT BADLY EITHER THOUGH.

woodbuck27:

He won't be our starting QB (if ever) for too long. Favre even knows that or he may have retired.

Hall looked good.

woodbuck27:

Great !! :)

woodbuck27:

Where was the SAM or the safety - either one of them ? SAFETY WAS LATE IN COMING OVER. THE SAM WAS NO WHERE TO BE SEEN.

woodbuck27:

He really hoped (again) for more support this season. What a bummer for him. DONT GET ME STARTED!!!

woodbuck27:

He'll have lotsd of time to get fast food soon. :)

woodbuck27:

How does Blackmon look compared to Bush? BUSH LOOKS BIGGER AND HAD BETTER COVERAGE.

woodbuck27:

Yikes !! NO MENTION OF THIS ANY WHERE ELSE. MAYBE HE DOES THIS ALL THE TIME.

woodbuck27:

Whooops. Bad news!!

Now wist43 will report that to the Police. :)

Bodiford had a bad drop.

woodbuck27:

Bodiford or Clowney? Your gut feeling? TOO EARLY TO TELL. SORRY.

woodbuck27:

Ahhh great. Just a regular guy that may have enjoyed Nick Barnett's bar last season?

woodbuck27:

Everyone is wondering that but TT. Actually, TT is just thinking or waiting for a telephone call.

Besides. . . .

TT's confident in his RB's anyway.

STUDS AND DUDS

STUDS -

woodbuck27:

Having Herron 'as a lock' perfectly illustrates our plight at RB. I AGREE WITH THAT TO SOME DEGREE. HOWEVER, AS A 3rd DOWN BACK, HE WOULD ACTUALLY BE A SOLID MEMBER OF THE TEAM.

DUDS -

woodbuck27:

Start that Brett Favre 'PLEASE DON'T RETIRE' fan club. You'll have a fast growing membership so charge money. :)

woodbuck27:

He's just a rookie. I AGREE, BUT I DONT WANT A ROOKIE ENDING FAVRE'S SEASON / STREAK.

woodbuck27:

THANKS A BUNCH, gbpackfan. Nice report. :)

DIDNT SEE THE TE's INVOLVED MUCH. LEE WAS THE ONLY ONE I SAW CATCHING A LOT OF PASSES. BUBBA WAS STILL OUT.

MadtownPacker
08-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Nice GBPF!!

I aint worried about Jackson yet. If not knowing what to do and pass blocking are his only flaws then it's all good cause those things will come with time.

Packers4Ever
08-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Great report, GBPF !

Clear, concise, easily read with even a touch of humor here and there.

Good Job, hope to see more.

4and12to12and4
08-09-2007, 10:10 PM
The running game scares the hell out of me. It seems as if Herron is our best back out there with Morency shelved. That's not good. Yes, he had a couple of nice games last year, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that he isn't much more than a body out there. Decent speed, not very big, and his cutting is pedestrian at best. He does seem to find the best hole more times than not, but goes down when someone breathes on him.

Good to hear the line is looking good, but I sure wish TT would've signed a stud FB for blocking assignments and paving the way. There were a couple good ones out there during FA, and TT just ignored them. Without a legit FB and good TE's to help block, we may be in trouble. Teams will be blitzing us constantly. I hope we have a lot of rollout plays in the offensive playbook. The most important thing we need to address is giving Favre the protection he needs consistently, and it seems as if we are a long way from having that figured out. I sure hope TT and MM get this addressed, and can figure something out. Otherwise, Favre may end up with a career ending injury early this season. I hope I'm wrong.

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2007, 12:02 AM
GBP blog from today:

Wynn, Miree likely to miss preseason opener

Running back DeShawn Wynn and fullback Brandon Miree likely will miss Saturday's preseason opener because of injuries, coach Mike McCarthy said after practice tonight.

Wynn has a strained quadriceps and Miree has a shoulder stinger. McCarthy said he also is concerned about cornerback Al Harris, who is dealing with back tightness for the second week in a row. McCarthy said he would like Harris and Charles Woodson, who sat out with a hamstring injury suffered this morning, to be ready for Saturday.

Wynn, Miree, and tackle Tony Moll (shoulder stinger) are "borderline" for Saturday, according to McCarthy.

Rookie safety Aaron Rouse sustained an injury during the final special teams period. McCarthy had no information on him.

Harrell shines in pass-rushing drill

Rookie first-round draft pick Justin Harrell turned in his best rep of training camp during a one-on-one pass-rushing drill.

Harrell cleanly beat guard Tony Palmer, but he didn't use his usual bull rush move. Instead he used some speed to get around Palmer. On another rep, Allen Barbre was able stop Harrell.

Cullen Jenkins and Daryn Colledge battled to a draw as each won a rep in the pass-rushing drill.

Crosby holds edge in kicking duel

Rookie Mason Crosby again held a slight edge over incumbent Dave Rayner during field goal drills at tonight's practice.

Both kickers converted on 40-yard attempts early in the practice, but later each participated in a series of seven kicks. Rayner missed wide left for 32 yards and 52 yards, while Crosby's only miss went wide left from 37 yards.

Crosby's successful kicks came from 27, 27, 32, 42, 47 and 52 yards. The 52-yarder cleared the crossbar by a considerable distance. Rayner's successful kicks were from 27, 27, 37, 42 and 47 yards. It should be noted that No. 1 holder Jon Ryan worked with Crosby while backup holder Aaron Rodgers was teamed with Rayner.

Other Notes

- Frank Walker missed a chance for his second interception of the night when a Paul Thompson pass slipped through his hands.

- Rookie receiver David Clowney didn't do himself any favors if he wants to make the team when he dropped a pass from Paul Thompson that hit him directly in the hands.

- Frank Walker picked off an Ingle Martin pass in the end zone during a red zone drill, but Walker fumbled as he attempted to return the ball, which was recovered by cornerback Tramon Williams.

- Aaron Kampman had Mark Tauscher beat in a one-on-one pass-rushing drill but slipped as he came around the edge.

- McCarthy said he is concerned about running backs Noah Herron, Brandon Jackson and Corey White potentially being overworked Saturday night, but he said the team won't add any backs before Sunday.

- The only somewhat competitive period of the morning session followed stretching, when the top two offensive units each ran two plays. The latter were followed by field-goal attempts. Brett Favre was 1-for-2 -- CB Charles Woodson broke up Favre's first pass before dropping out -- and Aaron Rodgers was 2-for-2.

- During the scout periods, Carlyle Holiday and Shaun Bodiford dropped passes.

- Rookie linebacker Desmond Bishop worked with the first-unit kick return unit.

- Defensive tackles Corey Williams and Colin Cole continued to take snaps with the starting defense.