PDA

View Full Version : Last year vs. This year

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2007, 03:30 PM
I feel a lot better about the team this year compared to last year.

QB - Last year, Rodgers was getting bad reports from training camp. This year, he's getting better reports.
RB - Last year, we had Ahman coming back from a major injury, so his status was iffy. We hadn't acquired Morency yet. This year, the group is still a big question mark.
WR - Last year, we had Driver, a rookie that we knew nothing about in Jennings, and little else. Martin, Holliday, and Bodiford were bigger question marks last year. This year, they've shown more and are more experienced, Jennings has since proven himself (when he's healthy), and we've added James Jones (who is getting good reports).
TE - I felt better about this group at this time last year, but it proved to be mostly false hope.
OT - Last year, we had two rookies and a first year starter. This year, the young guys should be better and I feel pretty good about the group heading into the year.
DE - Last year, Kampman looked solid and Jenkins hadn't shown his full capability. This year, Kampman is a Pro Bowler, Jenkins looks solid, and KGB is back to the role he should have had.
DT - Last year, the DTs were considered average. This year, they look like the best group on the team.
LB - Last year, Poppinga was coming off a major injury and we were getting mostly unfavorable reports on Hawk. This year, the starters look like a strength.
CB - Last year, Woodson was considered injury prone and none of the young corners were showing anything. This year, Woodson and Harris form one of the best CB duos in the league and the young guys are flashing some potential.
S - I felt better about this group at this time last year, but it proved to be false hope.
ST - Last year, we had a rookie punter and a first year kicker. This year, I feel okay about Ryan and either Rayner or Crosby.

Spaulding
08-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Geez, when you put it in that light (and I agree with your statements) it almost looks like we might not be too bad. I was thinking on roster last year and the fact we had a new scheme on offense as well as a new head coach and managed to go 8-8 in a watered down NFC, it's suddenly possible even with a tougher schedule to maybe go 9-7 or 10-6.

Hey Kool-Aid man....

RashanGary
08-10-2007, 03:59 PM
I have three keys to the season

1. The Running game
2. The Special Teams
3. The Defenses ability to prevent the big play

I think we are better than last year but if these things all come together, I think we can be a legit contender in the NFC. I fully expect some improvement but I'm hopefull for huge improvements.

The Leaper
08-10-2007, 04:07 PM
I sort of touched on the same thing in one of the threads reviewing the scrimmage. I can remember how BAD this team looked early in camp last year. With so many kids, a new coaching staff, a new blocking scheme...it was a pathetic looking mess out there. It really didn't improve much by the end of camp...and only started to signs of coming together very late in the season.

All around, the team should be vastly better off from a comfort standpoint. Instead of constantly thinking about WHAT to do, they can now start to actually make plays naturally in the system. Collins seems to be a different player this year. Many young kids are stepping up and making names for themselves. I'm sure the OL across the board will be improved, including Tauscher and Clifton...who were brand new to the ZBS last year too.

This team looked pretty good in the scrimmage. There clearly are still some gaping holes...but we have enough to be competitive against any team this year. As last year showed, there were several teams that we couldn't even hold a candle to.

BF4MVP
08-10-2007, 05:40 PM
I don't know..Everyone always says how bad Aaron Rodgers was last training camp and preseason..But IIRC, last year everyone was talking about how hard he worked in the offseason and how much better he looked..And I don't think he did badly in the preseason..I remember him being 9-for-11 one game..It certainly wasn't God-awful like everyone seems to think..

That being said, he seems to have improved a lot this year based on reports..

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Yeah, he wasn't as bad as most seem to think, but he didn't get these kinds of reports. Last year, the reports were: Green Bay doesn't know if Rodgers is the long-term answer. Now, the reports are more like: Rodgers looks like he's ready to take over, but when will he get his shot.

BF4MVP
08-10-2007, 06:05 PM
That's true. 8-)

Joemailman
08-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Geez, when you put it in that light (and I agree with your statements) it almost looks like we might not be too bad. I was thinking on roster last year and the fact we had a new scheme on offense as well as a new head coach and managed to go 8-8 in a watered down NFC, it's suddenly possible even with a tougher schedule to maybe go 9-7 or 10-6.

Hey Kool-Aid man....

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper226/stills/6vv8nfp2.jpg

Kiwon
08-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Well, at least one can have more confidence about the OL this year versus last year. Hopefully we can get through the year without any major injuries.

I don't know so I'm axing. How much depth does the Pack have on the OL if a starter goes down?

MJZiggy
08-10-2007, 08:09 PM

Hey Kool-Aid man....

I"ve been trying to tell you guys that for 6 months now...and from what I've read the OL has plenty of depth because not only do they have the depth players, they can back each other up.

RashanGary
08-10-2007, 08:15 PM
I would say the have the depth to cover one injury with Tony Moll. Two injuries and I think it would get dicey but I think if you had two injuries on most NFL Olines, they would be hurting a little.

MJZiggy
08-10-2007, 08:17 PM
No, I can't remember how they do it, but if you look at the depth chart, you can kind of see what I read about. I wish I could find that article. It's in here somewhere.

GrnBay007
08-10-2007, 08:18 PM

Hey Kool-Aid man....

I"ve been trying to tell you guys that for 6 months now...

Job consulting with TT ?

MJZiggy
08-10-2007, 08:19 PM
I gotta take whatever I can get...could explain a lot, though, huh?

Packnut
08-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Um, this team should be better than last season's was. Now it's time for results on the field.

Joemailman
08-10-2007, 09:31 PM
I would say the have the depth to cover one injury with Tony Moll. Two injuries and I think it would get dicey but I think if you had two injuries on most NFL Olines, they would be hurting a little.

If 2 guys go down, the key players would be Coston and Barbre. Right now Coston is #2 on the depth chart at RG, and Barbre is #2 at LG. Those will be 2 players to watch in the pre-season.

Brohm
08-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Yeah I remember reading a few weeks back that they wanted Moll strictly at RT so he could focus on one position this year.

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Yeah I remember reading a few weeks back that they wanted Moll strictly at RT so he could focus on one position this year.

I didn't take that as meaning they wouldn't put him at OG. More that they think he'll improve more in camp if he concentrates on one position. I still think if an OG got hurt, he'd be the starter, but Barbre has the tools to challenge him for the backup OG spot.

Bretsky
08-11-2007, 07:37 AM
This could almost be summmed up as we should feel better about this year because we are figuring on some improvement on our OL and DL. Seeing there is youth at those positions I'd agree.

I felt OK about the LB's last year and it's the same this year. I had faith Hawk would develop; he's always been my guy. Until I see Poppinga not being exposed I'm not completely comfortable.

I feel worse about our RB position but hope to be proven wrong.

I probably felt worse this year with Manuel as a starter, Underwood coming off a torn ACL, and Rouse than I did about Manuel as a starter going into last year. But last year I had faith TT had signed a very competent starter in Manuel and was possibly wrong.

I hope all the AROD hype is real, but I need to see it in a couple games again to buy all the improvement.

Completely agree on the OL, DL, K, and P positions though.

RashanGary
08-11-2007, 07:42 AM
This could almost be summmed up as we should feel better about this year because we are figuring on some improvement on our OL and DL. Seeing there is youth at those positions I'd agree.

Main improvements that I see:

1. More athletic, aggressive ST's
2. Better Kicker (either rayner improves or Crosby beats him)
3. Better Punter (Ryan gets more hang time)
4. Better Oline (Whole line adjust to new scheme, rookies improve greatly)
5. Better, deeper Dline
6. Defense gets better chemistry during 2nd year in new system
7. Offense gets better chemistry during 2nd year in new system

Bretsky
08-11-2007, 07:43 AM
As a sidenote, I also feel less comfortable with our Defensive Coordinator than I did last year going into the season. Those last four games might have saved his job. I hope to be wrong there too.

RashanGary
08-11-2007, 07:48 AM
It's going to be a fun year. I dropped one hundred dollars on the Packers winning eight or more games. I got an additional ten bucks at bodog.com for opening up an account and I threw that on the Packers winning the north. I love football no matter what, but this year I have $175 to win if the Packers win the North. If they win just 8 games then I win $120. Still, it's going to make the season a little more interesting. I figure if I lose, I still have a pissed off gamblers roller coaster to ride and that might be worth the $100 that I spent.

Bretsky
08-11-2007, 07:51 AM
It's going to be a fun year. I dropped one hundred dollars on the Packers winning eight or more games. I got an additional ten bucks at bodog.com for opening up an account and I threw that on the Packers winning the north. I love football no matter what, but this year I have $175 to win if the Packers win the North. If they win just 8 games then I win $120. Still, it's going to make the season a little more interesting. I figure if I lose, I still have a pissed off gamblers roller coaster to ride and that might be worth the $100 that I spent.

Geez and here I could have taken your money :wink: I think you are only on the hook for a couple beers if they don't make the playoffs.

RashanGary
08-11-2007, 07:58 AM
Go to bodog.com, Bretsky. You can bet on the Packers to win 7 games or less. It might be fun to put your money where your mouth is ;)

MY SEASON BREAKDOWN:

If we win the NFC NOrth I get $175 and two beers from Bretsky :alc:
If we win 9 games and go to the playoffs I get $120 and two beers from Bretsky :alc:
If we win 8 games I get $120 and owe Bretsky two beers :evil:
If we win 7 or less I lose $100 and owe Bretsky two beers :evil:

8 games makes me happy at this point, but I will also savor my victory beers from you, B ;)

Bretsky
08-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Go to bodog.com, Bretsky. You can bet on the Packers to win 7 games or less. It might be fun to put your money where your mouth is ;)

MY SEASON BREAKDOWN:

If we win the NFC NOrth I get $175 and two beers
If we win 9 games and go to the playoffs I get $120 and two beers
If we win 8 games I get $120
If we win 7 or less I lose $100

8 games makes me happy at this point, but I will also savor my victory beers from you, B ;)

My wife is too busy spending my money for me to risk it with sports betting.

And remember 9 wins still remains the minimum for you to consider TT's off season a success. :wink:

I'm not holding you to the top 10 rushing offense. I think you were drunk on Kool Aide when you said that and a bit pumped from the fluff articles that day. I'd assume you might get a bit more conservative on that prediction now.

RashanGary
08-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Yes, 9 wins is what I expect from this team for me to have my current sky high confidence in Ted Thompson. However, injuries can cause and adjustment there. I don't think I ever forcasted a top 10 rushing offense although it's probably not out of the question. I think I said top 12 overall offense.

At this point I bet $120 on the Pack to win 8 so my first hope is that they get there. Everything else is personal satisfaction unless we win the north and that would be another $55.

RashanGary
08-11-2007, 08:14 AM
I just searched. As far as I know, I never said top 10 rushing offense. Damn it, B, keep it real here :)

If I had to guess I'd say 15th in rushing and 8th in passing. Total would be 12th.

Bretsky
08-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Yes, 9 wins is what I expect from this team for me to have my current sky high confidence in Ted Thompson. However, injuries can cause and adjustment there. I don't think I ever forcasted a top 10 rushing offense although it's probably not out of the question. I think I said top 12 overall offense.

At this point I bet $120 on the Pack to win 8 so my first hope is that they get there. Everything else is personal satisfaction unless we win the north and that would be another $55.

You'd be surprised how closely I read your predictions as I'm 99% sure one day you indicated top 10 rushing O. While a Super Bowl is the only thing that will get me completely on anybody's wagon, winning the NFC North would certainly greatly greatly sway my bias right now.

I have to go into work to put on a few mortgage applications and lock a couple rates in...headed to the Dells later today. But I'll see if I can go a huntin and come up with it later.

Cheers,
B

RashanGary
08-11-2007, 08:18 AM
haha. . . I know nothing will sway your opinion, B. You are as stubborn as they come. I've given up arguing with you :) As far as top 10 rushing O, I never predicted that. Partial mgiht have, he was all over Morency's nuts but I never did.

Bretsky
08-11-2007, 10:14 AM
haha. . . I know nothing will sway your opinion, B. You are as stubborn as they come. I've given up arguing with you :) As far as top 10 rushing O, I never predicted that. Partial mgiht have, he was all over Morency's nuts but I never did.

DAMMIT NICK/GREG/JUSTIN.........YOU WERE RIGHT and it was not a top 10 Rushing offense..........and

I am stubborn; HERE is the post I was referring to; it took me 15 minutes to find it and it was a top 10 O

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=7351&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
There are two keys to an effective redzone offense:

1. An offensive line that can get a push
2. A QB who can make a play when he needs to, to keep the defense of balance

The Packers had one of the two a year ago but were absolutly miserable as far as the other was concerned. The offensive line was acctually laughed at by the Vikings defensive lineman. They talked about how weak our interior line was. IT was true, we could not get a push in the redzone all year. I'd bet that our rushing TD's was among the leagues lowest if not the lowest. Without the ability to impose your will in the redzone with the rushing attack, the passing attack becomes predictable and bad things happen.

The offensive line should be much stronger and more capable in the redzone this year. I think we'll be a top 10 offense in both yards and points. A good defense and ST's help an offense too, so because our team is improved from top to bottom, it's going to compound good things.

RashanGary
08-11-2007, 10:21 AM
I think top 10 is in reach but it will be an inflated top 10 as our defense and ST's will have to contribute to us getting some extra, easy points.