PDA

View Full Version : Two-a-day practices soon could be thing of past

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2007, 11:22 PM
I found this article interesting. If the Packers have success, ou can bet other teams will follow. I think it's a good sign that McCarthy has the 'nads to do this.

Two-a-day practices soon could be thing of past
By Pete Dougherty

Could Ted Thompson be right? In the near future, might the decades-long ritual of grueling two-a-day practices of training camp be fading to the NFL’s past?

“It might be a morning practice for 2½ or three hours, then the rest meetings,” the Packers’ general manager said recently in describing a typical day of training camp several years from now.

Over the past three decades or more, teams already have scaled back significantly on the rigors of training camp, starting from the two-a-days in pads that started in early July when Thompson was a rookie with the Houston Oilers in 1975, to the shortened five-week training camps of today.

With the huge money invested in players and the lack of depth because of the salary cap, teams are looking for any way to enter the regular season as healthy as possible. In the past decade, clubs have continued to cut back on the number of practices in pads – few teams work out in pads twice a day except for perhaps the first day or two of camp – and often shorten workouts as camp goes on.

The increased emphasis on offseason workouts and practices has allowed coaches to reduce training camp without sacrificing much, because they can get a vast amount of work done in the offseason. The offseason workout programs have players in better shape year round, and the individual teaching sessions along with minicamps and “organized-team activities” practices in the spring and summer allow them to install the offensive and defensive schemes in the offseason, so that when training camp opens players know the plays and techniques well.

Mike McCarthy took the concept of resting players a step further this year and appears to have broken new ground with his decision to give his players the day off from practice for the first three Wednesdays of camp. The team still has meetings and walk-throughs on Wednesdays, and the players have required weight-lifting workouts, but they’re spared the pounding and huge energy expenditure of a full practice.

McCarthy has his doubts about Thompson’s prediction of eventually having only one-a-days in camp, but he’s convinced that rest and recovery is as crucial for a team collectively in training camp as it has been shown in studies for individuals to gain improvement through working out. His concern about cutting back too much is that while it might help players’ overall health, it also will put him at a competitive disadvantage because he would have to scale back too much on the offensive and defensive schemes with the reduced practice time.

“Football’s still played with pads,” McCarthy said. “You refer to football shape, leaning and pushing on guys, you’ve got to get into that. People don’t realize how young we are, we were the youngest team in the league last year with a 40-year-old (long) snapper, we were real young. We’re still pretty young. We need this time. You can’t do that work in the spring. Now if we could do padded work in the spring, you could go to that (one a day in camp). But they’re never going to do that.”

Nevertheless, McCarthy is on the cutting edge with his new camp schedule. He’s been closely attuned to the importance of practice schedules for years because of his close involvement in scheduling beginning his second year as offensive coordinator at New Orleans in 2001, when he and coach Jim Haslett met extensively to work out the practice schedule for training camp. Haslett essentially allowed McCarthy to schedule the offense’s portion of practice. When McCarthy went to San Francisco in 2005, coach Mike Nolan gave him the same responsibilities for the 49ers.

So after his rookie season as the Packers’ head coach last year, McCarthy concluded that he worked the team too hard in camp, primarily in the long week before its third exhibition game, at Cincinnati. Early this past offseason, he and his administrative assistant, Matt Klein, researched the practice schedule extensively and calculated the snaps the team ran last year in the offseason, in training camp and during the season. They determined the team would lose about 100 repetitions in camp by going to his new camp schedule that includes the three Wednesdays off.

He discussed the issue with his coaching staff, especially with Rock Gullickson, the team’s strength and conditioning coach.

“He knows that if we had any say in it, we’re all for it,” Gullickson said.

McCarthy said in deciding to go with the new schedule, he committed to establishing the team’s identity and plays of emphasis on offense and defense during the offseason workouts. That’s when the schemes were installed, so then training camp would just be review and a chance to improve timing and football conditioning.

McCarthy also says he’s conducting a highly challenging training camp for his players physically even though he has only seven two-a-day workouts.

“People look at two a days or one a days and say, ‘This team is working hard’ – I know that’s the only information outside people have,” McCarthy said. “But look at the practices. (These) practices are hard. The full practices we’ve had are as hard a practice schedule as I’ve ever been through. But in the same breath I’ve built in rest and recovery that they’ve never had before. We’re still getting our work done, but we’ve hung our hat on things we accomplished in the spring. But we’re still working the (heck) out of them.”

McCarthy’s new schedule is going over big with the players. It’s not that they get much time off from football – they are free to do what they want Wednesday evenings, but have meetings and personal workouts earlier in the day – but the rest seems to help.

When asked if he noticed the difference from the Wednesdays off, 32-year-old receiver Donald Driver exclaimed, “Did I? My body was not sore. Normally my hamstrings would be tight around this time, but now my hamstrings feel good.”

Though it’s only the first time McCarthy has tried this system, and the Packers have yet to play an exhibition game, they also seem extremely healthy.

The Packers have only two players on injured reserve, backup tight end Tory Humphrey with a broken lower leg, and backup punter David Lonie, who had an ankle injury. They only have eight players with injuries that kept them out of practice Thursday, and only two of those are worse than day-to-day: halfbacks Vernand Morency (knee) and P.J. Pope (knee).

“We have some injuries,” said Reggie McKenzie, the Packers’ director of pro personnel. “But we don’t have a whole bunch of groins, hamstrings, quads, those are the injuries that are fatigue injuries.”

The extensive offseason work that allowed McCarthy to do this schedule will always be crucial and potentially contentious because the collective-bargaining agreement limits the intensity of the non-padded offseason workouts.

Last year, in the purely physical training part of their offseason program, the Packers had 53 days of workouts, and only three players had perfect attendance. This year, they trimmed that to 46 workouts, and 32 players had perfect attendance. Also, Gullickson said that 85 percent of the players participated in a “good portion” of the workouts.

However, for the actual minicamps and organized-team activities practices, the CBA limits the intensity of the work. Article XXXV of the CBA says, in part, “Contact work (e.g., ‘live’ blocking, tackling, pass rushing, bump-and-run) is expressly prohibited in all offseason workouts.”

Several teams have been penalized with the loss of some offseason practices or workouts after complaints by their players about the intensity of the practices. Rob Davis, the Packers’ union representative, said he and his assistant player rep, Mark Tauscher, monitored the intensity. Davis said he and the team’s veterans have open communication with McCarthy and wouldn’t hesitate to tell him if the practices, most notably the line play, became too intense.

“There wasn’t anything in violation, at least collectively in what Tausch and I thought,” Davis said. “And we got out of it healthy, we didn’t get any players hurt, and I think we’re reaping the benefits of that right now.”

Rastak
08-10-2007, 11:32 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-07-31-two-a-days_N.htm

NFL TRAINING CAMPS

Your fantasy draft tips: Share your favorite ideas for draft day and we'll publish the best

Colston's blog: Traveling America for training camp with Chris for 'Mission NFL'

Photos: Camp snapshots | Bill Walsh memories | Hall of Fame weekend | QBs under pressure in 2007

By Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY
Two-a-day practices in NFL training camps are like an endangered species.
They are becoming fewer and farther between.

"Coaches have come to realize that this is a marathon, not a sprint," says Atlanta Falcons 10-year veteran linebacker Keith Brooking. "You only have so many hits in you during a season."

TABLE: Two-a-days across the league in 2007

When Brooking was a rookie in 1998, he estimates he practiced twice a day at least 20 times. This summer, the Falcons are slated for seven two-a-days — a reflection of virtual year-round training and mandatory offseason sessions for NFL players.

Consider: The Buffalo Bills opened camp Thursday with two practices on three consecutive days. Now they are done with their NFL-low three two-a-days — finishing before several teams even reported to camp.

Said Bills coach Dick Jauron, "Clearly this is a critical time, the preparation, but it doesn't count on our record."

Jauron, who will have "walk-through" sessions on several days to supplement full practices, believes fewer two-a-days are needed because players report to camp in better shape than in the past.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: National Football League | Atlanta Falcons | Coaches | CAMP | Keith Brooking
"You don't need six weeks of double-days anymore," said Jacksonville Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio. "Those days are long gone. But training camp is still hard."

Del Rio, a former NFL linebacker, opened his first padded practice with the grueling "Oklahoma Drill," but will have just six two-a-day sessions. He says the heat is a reason for scaling back.

During Del Rio's first camp in 2003, three players collapsed while practicing in triple-digit conditions. Last summer, the Jaguars lost six players for the season with injuries suffered in camp and preseason.

To preserve players, coaches typically will have one practice with little contact on days with double sessions. It's also common for teams to have "walk-through" sessions with no contact, and practices exclusively for special teams.

"I'm biased," says Falcons safety Lawyer Milloy, a 12-year veteran. "But we don't need two-a-days. When you add in the OTAs, it's like we have two training camps."

DOUBLING DOWN FOR TWO-A-DAYS

Two-a-day sessions are aren't exactly extinct when it comes to NFL training camps, but the number of double practice sessions during a typical camp are hardly what they used to be. A rundown of double sessions scheduled this summer for 31 of the NFL's 32 teams:

Team No. Team No.
San Francisco 13 Seattle 12

Tampa Bay 12 New Orleans * 12

Houston 11 N.Y. Giants 10

Detroit 10 Miami 9

San Diego 9 Philadelphia 9

Pittsburgh 8 Indianapolis 8

Tennessee 8 Oakland 8

Minnesota 8 New England 8

St. Louis 8 Carolina ** 8

Baltimore 7 Denver 7

Green Bay 7 Atlanta 7

Arizona 7 Kansas City 6

Cincinnati 6 Cleveland 6

Jacksonville 6 Dallas 6

Chicago 6 Washington 5

Buffalo 3

About this list: Plans for the New York Jets were unavailable. Practice sessions are subject to change. In some cases, one of the practices counted on a given day could be scheduled for limited contact work. Some teams don't consider walk-through sessions as a practice. Special-teams only practices are not included in the figures.

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Teams have been starting to dial it down, but I haven't heard of too many teams that have given their teams so many days off for rest and recovery. That's where the article states that McCarthy is breaking new ground.

Terry
08-11-2007, 10:52 AM
I think it's a good sign that McCarthy has the 'nads to do this too and that in itself is a good sign, an inventive coach.

I hope he's right too and that we have a fresher, healthier team throughout the season as a result.

But I admit it makes me nervous too. I fear that we could end up getting fatigued faster than others. I was really struck by Lombardi's comment, "Fatigue makes cowards of us all."

I certainly hope my fear is groundless and that McCarthy is dead on.

KYPack
08-11-2007, 01:23 PM
I'd like to see 'em go to the 18 game season and cut camp by a week or so.

Camp is kind of an old tradition that needs to be re-tooled for modern use.