PDA

View Full Version : MORE CABLE CRAP

Bretsky
08-11-2007, 08:11 AM
ADD THE BIG TEN NETWORK TO THE NETWORKS FIGHTING WITH THE DIRTY CHARTER

I was listening on the radio and the Big Ten Network, like the NFL Network, is trying to get the cable companies to add their channel as part of the expanded package.

What I found interesting in hearing all of this was:

For the NFL Network, bills would run roughly .85 more per customer
For the Big Ten Netwowrk, it is rougly $1.10 more per month

It got me thinking, who would want the BIg Ten Network more than NFLN ?? :?:

Not many

Regardless I want a choice dammit

Bretsky
08-11-2007, 08:13 AM
What is the Big Ten Network?

What's New at the Big Ten Network...

Launching in August 2007, the Big Ten Network is a new national cable/satellite programming service dedicated to covering both the athletic and academic content of the Big Ten Conference. Showcasing a wide array of sports as well as original programming produced by the conference's 11 institutions, the Big Ten Network will operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The Big Ten Network will be made available to all cable and satellite carriers and distributors nationwide. Most events and programs will be produced in High-Definition television (HDTV).
In addition to traditional distribution through cable and satellite, select Big Ten Network content will also be made available through alternative media platforms such as the Internet, iPods, cell phones and/or other emerging technologies.

Programming on the Big Ten Network will include:

35+ football games per season
105+ regular season men's basketball games
55+ regular season women's basketball games
Big Ten championship events
Archived Big Ten events, including bowl games
170+ Olympic sporting events
Coaches' shows
660 hours of campus programming

BallHawk
08-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Does this mean we're not going to be able to watch Badger games on ESPN anymore?

GBRulz
08-11-2007, 09:01 AM
That is odd that it would be more expensive for carriers vs the NFLN. I wonder if it's because they don't have the advertising dollars like NFLN does, either?

Looks like if you want this new channel, you have to have Direct TV...at this point anyhow.

Bretsky
08-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Does this mean we're not going to be able to watch Badger games on ESPN anymore?

When they are on the Big Ten Network they won't be on national TV

MJZiggy
08-11-2007, 10:46 AM
That is odd that it would be more expensive for carriers vs the NFLN. I wonder if it's because they don't have the advertising dollars like NFLN does, either?

Looks like if you want this new channel, you have to have Direct TV...at this point anyhow.

It's based on viewership. Because the Big Ten channel will be specific to the cities with and alums of Big Ten schools, you can charge more to advertise on NFLN as it usually will have more people watching. Therefore the carriers have to kick in more of the costs.

CaliforniaCheez
08-11-2007, 11:02 AM
I wish one could buy channels al a carte.

My local company (Comcast) will not put NFL network in with the sports package. They make you buy every other channel in order to get it.

The Big 10 network is going to kill the Big 10's viewership at probably reduce revenues for a few years. It will cost me over $50 to get the season.

I refuse to get ripped off. Good bye Big 10.

They don't even put hockey on the network.

Iron Mike
08-11-2007, 11:09 AM

Not a bad idea, actually.

I'd like it if you could create your own channel clusters and pay accordingly. F'rinstance, I watch about 10 channels regularly and the kids watch about 10 channels of their own. Rather than have a single rate for all 200 channels available, why not have a reduced rate for the 20 channels we actually watch??

MJZiggy
08-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Because then they can't charge ad rates based on the number of subscribers to the other 180 channels...

Partial
08-11-2007, 01:13 PM

Not a bad idea, actually.

I'd like it if you could create your own channel clusters and pay accordingly. F'rinstance, I watch about 10 channels regularly and the kids watch about 10 channels of their own. Rather than have a single rate for all 200 channels available, why not have a reduced rate for the 20 channels we actually watch??

2/3 of the networks would go out of business :lol:

Little Whiskey
08-13-2007, 01:09 PM
My local company (Comcast) will not put NFL network in with the sports package. They make you buy every other channel in order to get it.

thats wierd....i just switched from Direct tv to Comcast and for an additional 7 bucks i get the sports package which includes the NFL network.

Freak Out
06-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Heavy Internet Users Targeted
Providers to Test Charges, Delays

By Cecilia Kang
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, June 4, 2008; D01

Cable service operators Comcast and Time Warner Cable said yesterday that they would begin testing new approaches that would slow Internet access for heavy users and charge more to those who want additional speed.

The tests come as the Federal Communications Commission wraps up an investigation on complaints that Comcast blocked certain users from sharing video, music and other files. The complaints fueled a larger debate, with hearings in Congress and by the FCC, on how much control Internet service providers should have over the flow of data.

"The cable companies see a hammer hovering above their heads and are scrambling to find ways to reduce the appearance of wrongdoing," said Ben Scott, head of policy for the public interest group Free Press, which advocates for better oversight of cable operators. He called the plans "Band-Aids" on the bigger problem of network capacity, which he said can be solved only by larger investments in the cable companies' networks.

Comcast said that on Friday it would begin tests in Chambersburg, Pa., and Warrenton, Va., that would delay traffic for the heaviest users of Internet data without targeting specific software applications. Public interest groups complained in November that Comcast targeted users of BitTorrent, a file-sharing application, by blocking or delaying video and other files exchanged with the technology. Free Press said the practice discriminated against certain content and impeded users from having full access to the Web.

FCC Chairman Kevin J. Martin has said the commission would announce the results of its review of the complaints by the end of June.

Analysts said the test would not differ significantly from Comcast's current network-management practices. The new approach would, however, target a broader range of heavy bandwidth users instead of delaying all traffic using BitTorrent. Roger Entner, a senior vice president at Nielsen IAG, said about 5 to 10 percent of peer-to-peer users -- those who directly exchange files with other users -- gobble up about 50 percent of all Internet bandwidth.

"This is the politically correct version of doing what Comcast had been doing before, though it takes the occasional [peer-to-peer] user off the hook," Entner said.

Sena Fitzmaurice, a spokeswoman for Comcast, acknowledged the earlier criticism but said, "This says we won't be looking at what type of traffic that there is, even though we still need to manage the network."

Time Warner Cable is trying a different approach with a test that will charge customers more for larger volumes of data and faster Internet access. The metered-billing test, which the company compared to cellphone billing structures that charge extra for those who go over their minutes, will begin tomorrow with new customers in Beaumont, Tex. The company said its approach allows customers to choose plans that fit their needs.

"Instead of raising prices across the board, consumers who are excessive users would pay," said Alex Dudley, a spokesman for Time Warner Cable. "It is clearly the fairest way to fund the investment that is going to be required to support that use."

Analysts warned that customers have become accustomed to flat fees for Internet and television service.

"Flat rate and unlimited service is an endgame move. When you go to that kind of rate structure, you can't go back," Entner said.

GoPackGo
06-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Sucks for you guys....
I get the Big 10 network and the NFL network both in HD for free from directv
sorry for the rhymes :wink:

Patler
06-04-2008, 11:30 AM

Launching in August 2007, the Big Ten Network is a new national cable/satellite programming service dedicated to covering both the athletic and academic content of the Big Ten Conference. Showcasing a wide array of sports as well as original programming produced by the conference's 11 institutions, the Big Ten Network will operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. ....

Gee, I thought everyone would be tripping over each other in a stampeded to sign up for that academic content!

Zool
06-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Heavy Internet Users Targeted
Providers to Test Charges, Delays

By Cecilia Kang
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, June 4, 2008; D01

Cable service operators Comcast and Time Warner Cable said yesterday that they would begin testing new approaches that would slow Internet access for heavy users and charge more to those who want additional speed.

Charter is doing this too. Absolutely ridiculous that they are going to be doing this and also target market pop ups.

mraynrand
06-04-2008, 11:45 AM

Launching in August 2007, the Big Ten Network is a new national cable/satellite programming service dedicated to covering both the athletic and academic content of the Big Ten Conference. Showcasing a wide array of sports as well as original programming produced by the conference's 11 institutions, the Big Ten Network will operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. ....

Gee, I thought everyone would be tripping over each other in a stampeded to sign up for that academic content!

That's why I'm tuning in - for the Philosophy department at the University of Minnesota. I just can't get enough of Critical Theory. Plus, they have a new faculty with the groundbreaking theory that people who act nice encourage niceness in others - no $hit - your tax dollars are working to promote the philosophy that "Mean People Suck." And now, you can watch it on the BTN show "Perspectives" at 4:11 AM eastern, every Tuesday morning.