PDA

View Full Version : RBs STILL hurt! Bigby gets promotion? TT is f-ing up!!!

gbpackfan
08-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Running backs Vernand Morency and P.J. Pope still are "a couple of weeks away," coach Mike McCarthy said after practice today. That timetable means both are expected to miss at least the next two preseason games.

Morency continues to have soreness in the knee he injured on the first day of training camp, McCarthy said, while Pope still does not have full range of motion after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery Aug. 5. The preseason finale is 17 days away, on Aug. 30 against Tennessee.

McCarthy also said rookie running back DeShawn Wynn "needs to get back out there" to have a shot at the roster. Wynn hasn't practiced since suffering a quadriceps injury on Tuesday.

How the hell can TT defend not getting another running back? Well, how can he defend not picking up a vet. RB in free agency. This is getting down right scary. TT has all his eggs in one basket and from what I saw, Brandon Jackson looks average at best (to this point). I understand that he is rookie but that is my point. TT is being pig headed and can't admit when he has made a mistake. GET ANOTHER RB IN HERE NOW!!!!

Atari Bigby lined up with the No. 1 defense in place of Marquand Manuel during a team drill. It was the first time anyone other than Manuel lined up in the spot.

What??!! Did they watch him play the other night???? He was awful. Terrible coverage and worse tackling. The Packers just can't figure out that SS position. Once again, another TT f up!

--stories from the packersnews.com blog

Joemailman
08-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Tried DeCaf?

gbpackfan
08-13-2007, 05:54 PM
I don't drink coffee. But how much longer am I suppose to accept 12-20?

Spaulding
08-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Agreed - we need another back or two but what does hitting the panic button now do? Short of an aged and washed up Dillon there isn't much out there until roster cuts. Hit the panic button the week before regular season and Morency and Pope if are still shelved and Jackson hasn't inproved and TT still doesn't find or trade for somebody with a better outlook than Dillon.

Also agreed on Bigby - if he or the Manual of first 12 games of 2006 starts then it's going to likekly be a long and painful season of big plays given up.

It's one pre-season game. Last I checked the sun still came up this morning.

CaliforniaCheez
08-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Have a home brew or two.

In 3 weeks plenty of RB's will be flooding the market at Ted Thompson's favorite price. Could be another Samkon Gado out there. If one is needed.

I doubt it.

White has been doing fine and shows promise yet he, Wynn and Pope are facing the knife of the roster cuts.

RB's just aren't worth that much. You think a FA will learn the playbook in a week??

Have another home brew.

gbpackfan
08-13-2007, 06:08 PM
What does hitting the panic button do now? Nothing. It won't mean anything week 1 either. I have no pull so I can hit it now with out consequence.

Why wait to get another RB up to speed? Might as well get one in now and prepare him for the season. Make a trade, sign C. Dillon, I don't care. Just get it done!

Cheesehead Craig
08-13-2007, 06:24 PM
I keep hearing about 12-20. You know, if the Pack go 10-6 this year, TT will have a 22-26 record and the TT "dislikers" will keep pointing to that overall stat as TT is terrible as he has a losing record. Meanwhile ignoring the continued improvement of the team. Get over the damn 12-20 record over the past 2 seasons already and look at the overall improvement of the team that was 4-12 with the Packers not having a #1, 2 or 3 RB or a #1, 3 or 4 WR to now a team with a damn solid starting defense overall, WR depth like we haven't had in quite some time and an OL that looks to be quite improved from 2 years ago.

falco
08-13-2007, 06:26 PM
I keep hearing about 12-20. You know, if the Pack go 10-6 this year, TT will have a 22-26 record and the TT "dislikers" will keep pointing to that overall stat as TT is terrible as he has a losing record. Meanwhile ignoring the continued improvement of the team. Get over the damn 12-20 record over the past 2 seasons already and look at the overall improvement of the team that was 4-12 with the Packers not having a #1, 2 or 3 RB or a #1, 3 or 4 WR to now a team with a damn solid starting defense overall, WR depth like we haven't had in quite some time and an OL that looks to be quite improved from 2 years ago.

It was only 2 years ago that we had 2 pro bowl wide receivers.

Scott Campbell
08-13-2007, 06:29 PM

Yeah, he's 12-20. Yeah, he doubled his first year win total in just one year.

You can make these numbers do whatever you want them to. It all depends on if you hate the guy or not.

packrulz
08-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Come on guys, these preseason games mean nothing, the coaches like to tinker with different looks, and the schemes are plain vanilla. TT doesn't decide who's going to play, MM does, maybe he doesn't want Manuel to feel like he has the safety job locked up. It's all about competition.

gbpackfan
08-13-2007, 06:36 PM

IF, IF, IF!!!! I keep hearing IF but I'm not seeing any results.

What if the Packers go 6-10? TT will then have a 18-30 record. When is enough, enough? You tell me when I can ask for the Packers GM to do his job?

There are a couple of things that should be painfully obvious after the preseason game. These things weren't secrets before the game.

1. The Packers have NO playmakers on offense other then Driver. Greg Jennings has talents but can he be an impact player? Probably, but he has to stay healthy and prove it. After that, who know. Jones cleaned up against scrubs. NO ONE IS SCARED OF OUR WR CORP!

2. Our RB situation is scarier then our WR situation. NO ONE IS AFFRAID OF RUNNING GAME!

3. Bubba Franks is DONE. He can't catch to save his life. That pass nearly hit him right in the puss and he still dropped it.

4. The SS position is going to be a problem all season long.

5. These were all problems before training camp. And TT did NOTHING to immediately improve them. Draft picks are great but rarely do they make immediate impacts. This team and Brett Favre need some vet. help and TT had the juice to make it happen. HE FAILED.

Deputy Nutz
08-13-2007, 06:57 PM
What does adding another running back really accomplish besides taking more reps away from the rookie Brandon Jackson? The Packers know what they have in Morency and Pope is just hoping to land back on the practice squad.

Throw a name out there right now that the Packers have a legit chance of landing that will compete for carries in the regular season?

I have to admit Bigby was not so good on Saturday night, but lining guys up in preseason is just that, it don't mean shit. Sometimes it is just to light a fire under the guy that is replaced. Unless Bigby does a 180 I don't even see him making a this roster. The guy is ok in camp because there is no full tilt tackling. I guess I would be a little less suprised if they allowed Rouse or Underwood to work in with the first team, but Rouse did nothing to stand out Saturday, and Underwood is far from regaining his form of 2006.

Brandon494
08-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Wow Morency is going to miss 2 preseason games, the season is over! :roll:

Im so tired of all the whinning on this board. You are getting all worked up over one preseason game. Calm the hell down!

Bretsky
08-13-2007, 07:21 PM
I could care less about Morency; I hope Jackson steps his game up and becomes at least average this year.

Brandon494
08-13-2007, 07:23 PM
I could care less about Morency; I hope Jackson steps his game up and becomes at least average this year.

How can you care less about Morency? He worked his ass off during the offseason and will be splitting time with BJack for the starting RB job. Also I think he did a better job of running the RB in the zone blocking scheme then Green did last season.

Bretsky
08-13-2007, 07:28 PM

How can you care less about Morency? He worked his ass off during the offseason and will be splitting time with BJack for the starting RB job. Also I think he did a better job of running the RB in the zone blocking scheme then Green did last season.

I don't think Morency is a starter quality RB (although I hope I'm wrong); I would not agree with your comparison with Morency and Green last year. I wish we had signed Ahman Green "before" he hit free agency. Morency going out gives Jackson more time to develop faster and I'm hoping he takes advantage of that.

Joemailman
08-13-2007, 07:35 PM

The team won their last 4 games of last year with 5 rookies starting. I call those results. The only points they gave up Saturday were with none of their starting DB's in the game. Okay, so they're not the '96 Packers. Deal with it.

Packnut
08-13-2007, 07:41 PM

I don't think Morency is a starter quality RB (although I hope I'm wrong); I would not agree with your comparison with Morency and Green last year. I wish we had signed Ahman Green "before" he hit free agency. Morency going out gives Jackson more time to develop faster and I'm hoping he takes advantage of that.

Anyone who has followed Morency would know he's a "china doll". No he does'nt get the season ending injury, but he misses a few games here and a few games there and they add up. But some here would rather go on what they want to have happen and not what has happened......

Brandon494
08-13-2007, 07:45 PM

No way is Green worth the money Texans gave him. Also even though Green had over 150+ carries Morency still had a pretty ypc average and broke more 20+ yard gains than Green. You also have to factor in a improved O-line this season and Morency having a better understanding of our offense.

Partial
08-13-2007, 07:48 PM

Anyone who has followed Morency would know he's a "china doll". No he does'nt get the season ending injury, but he misses a few games here and a few games there and they add up. But some here would rather go on what they want to have happen and not what has happened......

And thats different from Ahman Green how?!?

Brandon494
08-13-2007, 07:50 PM

Lets see, he missed 3 games in rookie season and 2 games last season. China Doll? :roll:

wist43
08-13-2007, 07:56 PM

I'm with ya...

I would have loved to keep Green - he played great last year. He played very, very tough... maybe Tracy White can pound it like Green did last year, but one thing is for sure, neither Jackson nor Morency can.

I think Jackson, over the course of the season, will get more touches. I have serious doubts that Morency can stay healthy.

gbpackfan
08-13-2007, 10:25 PM

The team won their last 4 games of last year with 5 rookies starting. I call those results. The only points they gave up Saturday were with none of their starting DB's in the game. Okay, so they're not the '96 Packers. Deal with it.

12-20. Deal with it!

Joemailman
08-13-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm not the one having trouble dealing with it. You want to be obsessed over what happened in 2005? Go for it. I prefer to move on.

gbpackfan
08-14-2007, 07:14 AM
I'm not the one having trouble dealing with it. You want to be obsessed over what happened in 2005? Go for it. I prefer to move on.

Joe,

I just want to see a winning team on Lambeau Field again.

Zool
08-14-2007, 07:54 AM
I don't drink coffee. But how much longer am I suppose to accept 12-20?
Until you either become the president of the Packers, or choose another team to follow?

During some of these rant threads, I picture you guys as pro wrestlers yelling into "Mean" Jean Okerlund's mic.

"I tell you what brother. Come wrestle mania 62, I'm gonna make TT wish he'd never been born.

Ted Thompson, once we step into that cage, only 1 of us is going to be walking out.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-14-2007, 09:36 AM
What does adding another running back really accomplish besides taking more reps away from the rookie Brandon Jackson? The Packers know what they have in Morency and Pope is just hoping to land back on the practice squad.

As B said, I also think we should of sign AG before Free agency hit. AG could have made it easier for Jackson to get up to speed and it would have given our o-line more time to develop. I tend to believe that it's better if a rookie slowly makes the transition to a starter even if it does take some of his reps away.

Deputy Nutz
08-14-2007, 09:49 AM

As B said, I also think we should of sign AG before Free agency hit. AG could have made it easier for Jackson to get up to speed and it would have given our o-line more time to develop. I tend to believe that it's better if a rookie slowly makes the transition to a starter even if it does take some of his reps away.

I love it, and maybe I peg you wrong, but when the Texans signed Green everyone was blown away at the money he got, and although disappointed most of use waved good bye to Green.

TT drafted two running backs and that was basically it, I was a bit concerned about the amount of solid starting caliber depth that was brought to this team before training camp started, well camp has started and now we are all crying over spilled milk thinking there are players out there that can come in and fix the lack of depth on this team at running back.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-14-2007, 10:03 AM

I love it, and maybe I peg you wrong, but when the Texans signed Green everyone was blown away at the money he got, and although disappointed most of use waved good bye to Green.

TT drafted two running backs and that was basically it, I was a bit concerned about the amount of solid starting caliber depth that was brought to this team before training camp started, well camp has started and now we are all crying over spilled milk thinking there are players out there that can come in and fix the lack of depth on this team at running back.

You won't find a post made by me saying I wanted Green gone. I think Signing Green would have been the best move to make. And Iagree that there is no one left out there that can fix the lack of depth on or team, making not signing Green an even bigger mistake.

run pMc
08-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Ahman Green's line from the other night: 3 rushes, 7 yds.
Brandon Jackson's: 16 for 57.

I think it's fair to wait another week or two to see what happens with the backs they have. It's one game...preseason against a tough PIT D. It wasn't exactly a porous D they were facing. The D is usually ahead of the O in preseason, anyway.

Re: the "12-20" stuff, I give TT a mulligan on the first year -- he had to deal with Sherman's messes. I think we'll know by the end of this season that we're vastly improved in terms of talent and depth. We may not even get to 8-8 this year, but I expect to at least be more competitive.

As for 2 pro bowl receivers 2 years ago...which receivers? JWalk went on IR fairly early that year. Remember, that team got killed by injuries, and there was no depth to step up...hence Samkon Gado pounding it out for 2 yds on 1st down and a frustrated Favre throwing something like 29 INTs. At least TT has improved the depth.

Wynn needs to get healthy. Wouldn't be surprised if GB stashes Pope on IR and tries to continue developing him. Herron sounds like a lock for the #3, with Jackson and Morency doing the RBBC thing. It's not sexy, but if they get 4ypc and keep a defense honest, that's something.

Corey Dilon has gone on record saying he's done...there was an article (can't find the link) where he said turned down getting on a plane for a tryout so he wouldn't miss a tee-time. He's got a ring, most of his health, money in the bank, and (still) a crappy attitude...he can stay retired.

Ya never know, maybe TT trades a DT for a RB.

The Leaper
08-14-2007, 10:44 AM

This was Green's last chance at a big money deal. He wasn't about to give Green Bay or anyone else some kind of discount...or lose a bunch of money by not testing the free agent market. He was going to be the best RB option in free agency, and he knew it.

Coming off a major injury, you can't fault Green for trying to get the biggest chunk of coin he could. Houston was willing to fork over a stash of cash...and most NFL observers felt they vastly overpaid for a guy who already shows signs of decline.

It was not a mistake to pass on handing Ahman a similar deal...just as it was also not a mistake to pass on handing Marco Rivera the massive deal that Dallas paid him at the end of his prime. Beliving that we can simply sign all of our free agents to "reasonable" deals before they get to free agency is naive.

rbaloha1
08-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Packer fans,

The rb situation is fine. As Coach McCarthy stated during a halftime interview the problem with the running game is due to the o-line's pad level. Easily correctable. The rbs showed good gains when the cutback lanes were there.

Yes Bigby made mistakes but again correctable. Miscommunication happens in preseason games. No big deal. Regular season is another matter.

Bigby displayed great range and toughness. Also Harris and Woodson and coaching staff back him up. I will put my trust in them rather than fans.

Deputy Nutz
08-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Packer fans,

The rb situation is fine. As Coach McCarthy stated during a halftime interview the problem with the running game is due to the o-line's pad level. Easily correctable. The rbs showed good gains when the cutback lanes were there.

Yes Bigby made mistakes but again correctable. Miscommunication happens in preseason games. No big deal. Regular season is another matter.

Bigby displayed great range and toughness. Also Harris and Woodson and coaching staff back him up. I will put my trust in them rather than fans.

I liked this post up until you mentioned Bigby. His coverage skills weren't the biggest problem, it is the way he tackles. I don't know how much you can improve on that. I think you come into the NFL with the ability to tackle, it is not something that you can learn in the NFL due to the fact that contact is so limited in camp and during practice.

woodbuck27
08-14-2007, 06:56 PM

Well here is where we've moved to. . .

Your not hearing it from any what in heck do ya know, just Simple Simon Packer fans, but from our Packer Hero's:

Favre kiddingly said Tuesday, "I may play five more years."

In reality, though, Favre acknowledged he is at a point in his 17-year pro career where he can't wait on the young receivers, running backs and tight ends to blossom in five years.

"I want to win now. I hope everyone else does, too," Favre said.

"Talent alone, I've said that so many times, does not get you championships. Chemistry does. It's hard for me to tell stories (about the successes of Green Bay teams) when these guys were in high school. We have to find it fast."

The youth and accompanying inexperience coursing through the lineup have contributed to alignment and assignment breakdowns that are affecting Favre's decision making on throws.

"I'm having to maybe anticipate or be a little more apprehensive or reluctant or a little timid," he said.

"It's hard to anticipate a throw downfield when I'm a little unsure if he's going to break (the route) off where I think he is. It's hard to play that way. But that's the way it is."

Driver, a ninth-year Packer with whom Favre says he has a trust factor, understands the frustration his quarterback felt Saturday.

"I think everyone has to realize that everyone is not a rookie anymore. Just because we're a young team, you have to be a veteran in this group," Driver said.

"Right now, if we don't improve as an offense, it's going to be a long ride for us. So, we want to make sure that it's not a long season for us."