PDA

View Full Version : BUBBA FRANKS ON THE WAY OUT?

packers11
08-14-2007, 02:12 PM
pft.com

Rob Demovsky of the Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that not only will Packers tight end Bubba Franks not regain his starting job, but there's a chance that he won't even make the Packers' 53-man roster.

That's quite a fall for the 29-year-old Franks, who was the Packers' first-round draft pick in 2000 and was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2001, 2002 and 2003.

But Demovsky reports that Donald Lee seems to have a strong hold on the starting tight end spot, and the Packers may decide that they don't feel like paying a $1.4 million salary to a backup tight end who isn't much of a special teams contributor.

Franks' biggest problem last season was dropped passes, and he didn't help his chances of making the roster when he dropped an easy pass in the Packers' preseason opener.

If anything could save Franks' job, it's that the Packers lost their top backup to Lee, Tory Humphrey, to a season-ending leg injury on the first day of training camp.

Green Bud Packer
08-14-2007, 02:27 PM
pft.com

Rob Demovsky of the Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that not only will Packers tight end Bubba Franks not regain his starting job, but there's a chance that he won't even make the Packers' 53-man roster.

There's also a chance i win the lottery on Wednsday

Wont happen. Franks will be a Packer in '07 and I'll be going to work on Thursday. His salary is a non lssue.

BallHawk
08-14-2007, 02:28 PM
We really need to pick-up a TE after cutdowns. You can't go into the regular season with Donald Lee and Zac Alcorn as your TEs.

BallHawk
08-14-2007, 02:30 PM
pft.com

There's also a chance i win the lottery on Wednsday

Wont happen. Franks will be a Packer in '07 and I'll be going to work on Thursday. His salary is a non lssue.

I think if Bubba continues to play like Ben Steele it could happen. I agree, his salary is a non-issue. If he gets cut, it's because he didn't play as well as our other TEs.

I'd say it's 60/40 whether he stays, in favor of Bubba.

pittstang5
08-14-2007, 02:50 PM
I too can't see them cutting Bubba for the simple reason of the depth that the Packers have at the TE position - which is nothing. I could see Bubba going if say Lee, Alcorn, Harris and the new guy - Werner were lighting it up. I haven't heard jack about any of these guys, except occasionally I hear Alcorn has the best hands on the team. Whoopie! he has the best hands...too bad he can't get open or whatever his issue is that he hasn't moved up the depth chart!

For an offense that wants to rely on the TE position, the Packers are in bad shape. I had faith in Bubba rebounding - maybe the Packer Staff did too. I guess now it's obvious that Bubba is going downhill, fast. We can sit here and analyze all day that TT should have signed so and so or TT should have drafted X. But what can the PAckers do NOW? I think we're screwed. Having Donald Lee as a starter does not give me any confidence going into this season.

The Leaper
08-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Bubba might not be able to catch, but he can still block...and considerably better than any of the other TEs.

With an OL that is still coming together, I can't see a reason to cut Franks...if for no other reason than to keep him in as a blocker and let 2 or 3 WRs do the work in the secondary.

Let's face it, we aren't getting anything in terms of consistent offensive production in the passing game from ANY of these guys...so the fact Bubba can at least block is a strong positive in his favor.

PackerBlues
08-14-2007, 03:35 PM
I agree with Leaper, a good blocking TE is hard to find. Its a shame that we cannot seem to find a TE that can catch and block. Unless someone else of equal or greater talent is picked up for depth at the least, I think we should hold on to him.
(Sadly, I also thought that we should have kept Carrol as a back up corner for the purpose of having depth too, so what do I know.) :oops:

KYPack
08-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Bubba might not be able to catch, but he can still block...and considerably better than any of the other TEs.

With an OL that is still coming together, I can't see a reason to cut Franks...if for no other reason than to keep him in as a blocker and let 2 or 3 WRs do the work in the secondary.

Let's face it, we aren't getting anything in terms of consistent offensive production in the passing game from ANY of these guys...so the fact Bubba can at least block is a strong positive in his favor.

Take issue with one point. Bubba is an average blocker at this point in his career. Last year, he blocked very poorly and caught the ball even worse. The point that the other boys ain't great blockers is valid.

Cutting Bubba with what we have?

Man, we are in no shape to cut any TE's at this point.

it's pretty clear that people should have been added at the TE position. There were even a couple decent street FA's that WERE around, but that's against our GM's religion.

We are now at the mercy of the other teams cuts. St Louie is in a squeeze at the TE spot. They have 4 pretty good guys and can only carry 3. Maybe our TE is on their roster?

woodbuck27
08-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Bubba Franks will be in our lineup Vs , 'the Eagles'.

Two things:

1. Re-call that TT is on record as saying:

That he believes that Bubba Franks will rebound in 2007. He can't re-bound if he's cut.

2. We are mighty thin at TE now and is anyone estatic over D.Lee?

PackerBlues
08-14-2007, 04:36 PM

That he believes that Bubba Franks will rebound in 2007. He can't re-bound if he's cut.

Yeah, lol, but keep in mind that Thompson also extended Shermans Contract .........just before firing him. :cnf:

woodbuck27
08-14-2007, 04:44 PM

Yeah, lol, but keep in mind that Thompson also extended Shermans Contract .........just before firing him. :cnf:

Yes. . . but Ted is a whole lot sharper now.

Being his third year on the job and all.

Isn't he?

Brandon494
08-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Bubba isnt going anywhere.

Joemailman
08-14-2007, 04:56 PM
The decline of Bubba puzzles me. I could be wrong, but he doesn't strike me as the type would would stop giving a damn once he gets the big money. I suspect he's pressing. He needs to do something positive in a game to get his confidence back, and he needs to do it soon.

The Leaper
08-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Bubba has never been much of a factor between the 20s. He was relatively sure handed until recently, but he has never had the speed to attack the middle of the field. The bulk of his damage came in the red zone off play action...a task that 95% of the starting TEs in the NFL could handle with ease with the offensive talent GB had in the Sherman era in the run game.

Bubba has never been better than average...and now that he has lost a step and his ability to catch, he's pathetic.

esoxx
08-14-2007, 05:37 PM
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they cut Franks.

The Shadow
08-14-2007, 05:39 PM
He's not been the same since two big hits he took 2 years ago.
I don't see him making the team.

Bretsky
08-14-2007, 07:47 PM

At least if we cut Franks and Ferguson we could use up some of the cap space :lol:

Scott Campbell
08-14-2007, 07:51 PM
The decline of Bubba puzzles me. I could be wrong, but he doesn't strike me as the type would would stop giving a damn once he gets the big money. I suspect he's pressing. He needs to do something positive in a game to get his confidence back, and he needs to do it soon.

I was thinking about that too. How does the guy forget how to catch a football. It's not the sort of skill you expect to deteriorate with age.

superfan
08-14-2007, 08:01 PM

At least if we cut Franks and Ferguson we could use up some of the cap space :lol:

Maybe we should cut them now and resign them at the end of August just so you can change your sig?

:twisted:

Wait, that still wouldn't count. Legitimate FA's only, right?

CaliforniaCheez
08-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Blocking TE??

Tony Moll played TE in college. He has done it in goal line situations and can do it this season.

That viking game last year where his penalty killed a drive and a long run by penalty and another by fumbling. In Pittsburg this preseason a chest centered ball hit him right in the hands and he did not catch it.

Bubba has to start making catches.

The Packers have enough cap room to cut Franks. I have not seen Harris make enough plays to say he is ahead of Bubba.

MY ANTICIPATED OUTCOME IS THAT TED WILL SEARCH THROUGH TE'S WHO ARE CUT AND IF ONE IS BETTER THAT BUBBA (some will argue there will be many), TED WILL SIGN A TE.

Even weirder would be cutting Bubba for week one of season and then signing him to a reduced contract.

Bretsky
08-14-2007, 08:58 PM

Maybe we should cut them now and resign them at the end of August just so you can change your sig?

:twisted:

Wait, that still wouldn't count. Legitimate FA's only, right?

I've lowered my standards for the Stoneless Snapper and even included Frank Walker as a legit. Never fathomed I'd still have this dam thing