PDA

View Full Version : 'Frustrated' Favre seeks offensive gains for Packers

Kiwon
08-14-2007, 06:24 PM
'Frustrated' Favre seeks offensive gains for Packers

August 14, 2007

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -Brett Favre still remembers what it was like to direct an unstoppable Green Bay Packers offense.

The Packers scored touchdowns on five straight possessions en route to a 35-13 rout of Seattle at Lambeau Field in the 2003 regular season.

"In that game and in games like that in the past, it's no different than any other team who's been together for a while; you go out and you can do things blindfolded," Favre said Tuesday.

The scenario was much different Saturday night, when all the veteran quarterback wanted to do was cover his eyes. The Packers' mostly inexperienced offense did nothing right at the start of a 13-9 preseason-opening victory over Pittsburgh.

"I was as frustrated when I came out as I think I've ever been in preseason," Favre said three days later.

Until top backup Aaron Rodgers came on to lead three straight scoring drives in the second and third quarters to overturn a 9-0 deficit, no one on the offensive side was smiling.

The Favre-led starting unit didn't pick up a first down in its four series and gained a total of 3 yards.

"We've got to get some rhythm going. We had nothing," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin lamented. "We had no tempo. We had no rhythm. We had no production."

Favre said he came into the game expecting the offense would be challenged by the Steelers' strong defense, which features a 3-4 front the Packers don't see often. Favre didn't envision a first dress rehearsal for the season in which a litany of mistakes kept the offense from moving the chains once.

"I wanted to continue to play (as) we would go three-and-out, we would go three-and-out," said Favre, who was 2-of-7 for 7 yards. "You're trying to go out with some momentum, something to build off of, and at some point, you go, 'It's just not happening,' and you have to play the other guys."

Philbin said the unpleasant film review of the early part of the game revealed six missed assignments.

A premature snap from center Scott Wells to an unsuspecting Favre resulted in a fumble recovered by the Packers.

On the final series for the No. 1 unit, left guard Daryn Colledge committed a holding penalty, and Favre badly overthrew Greg Jennings on a slant route.

Even normally sure-handed receiver Donald Driver had a drop.

"To give anybody an honest evaluation, that's hard to do because it was not a pretty performance," Philbin said. "I think that was across the board. I don't know that anybody functioned real well out there in those 13 plays. It was evenly distributed, and it was every position."

Former Packers coach Mike Holmgren and Seattle return to Lambeau Field on Saturday for a preseason game. Favre said trying to get better as an offense is at the top of the to-do list.

More than two weeks into training camp, a cohesiveness between Favre, at 37 the oldest quarterback in the league, and a predominantly young supporting cast has yet to materialize.

"We have to, unlike in years past (here) or some other teams in this league, we have to find and build chemistry every day and each week and find what plays work and fit the guys that we have running them," Favre said. "It makes it more difficult."

Favre kiddingly said Tuesday, "I may play five more years."

In reality, though, Favre acknowledged he is at a point in his 17-year pro career where he can't wait on the young receivers, running backs and tight ends to blossom in five years.

"I want to win now. I hope everyone else does, too," Favre said. "Talent alone, I've said that so many times, does not get you championships. Chemistry does. It's hard for me to tell stories (about the successes of Green Bay teams) when these guys were in high school. We have to find it fast."

The youth and accompanying inexperience coursing through the lineup have contributed to alignment and assignment breakdowns that are affecting Favre's decision making on throws.

"I'm having to maybe anticipate or be a little more apprehensive or reluctant or a little timid," he said. "It's hard to anticipate a throw downfield when I'm a little unsure if he's going to break (the route) off where I think he is. It's hard to play that way. But that's the way it is."

Driver, a ninth-year Packer with whom Favre says he has a trust factor, understands the frustration his quarterback felt Saturday.

"I think everyone has to realize that everyone is not a rookie anymore. Just because we're a young team, you have to be a veteran in this group," Driver said. "Right now, if we don't improve as an offense, it's going to be a long ride for us. So, we want to make sure that it's not a long season for us."

Kiwon
08-14-2007, 06:32 PM
A premature snap from center Scott Wells to an unsuspecting Favre resulted in a fumble recovered by the Packers.

I did not see the game and have been away from my computer lately. As I remember, Wells had more than a few of these last year. Playing in the noise of the Metrodome is one thing, but did anyone shed any light on why this fumble occured?

Packnut
08-14-2007, 06:37 PM

I did not see the game and have been away from my computer lately. As I remember, Wells had more than a few of these last year. Playing in the noise of the Metrodome is one thing, but did anyone shed any light on why this fumble occured?

Wells cost us a game last season also. He need's to get his head out of his ass and pay attention to what the snap count is. There is no excuse for this to happen at the NFL level.

superfan
08-14-2007, 06:44 PM
The next three preseason games against the Seahawks, Jaguars, and Titans should give us a decent barometer on what to expect from the offense this year. The Seahawks have a number of good individual players, but not a great team defense. The Jaguars have a tough, stubborn defense.

For me, the performance of the offense on Saturday was pretty much expected for three reasons:

1) The Steelers still have a good, if somewhat declining, defense.
2) They had one game under their belt already, and we didn't.
3) Plenty of questions at the skill positions on offense outside of Favre and receivers not named Driver or Jennings. Heck, even questions with those three - Favre is another year older - will we see signs of decline? Driver and Jennings have been nicked up, what will we see from them?

If we continue to read articles like this after the Titans game, I'll be concerned. But I would have predicted before the game started that we would see a post game article along these lines.

BEARMAN
08-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Sounds to me like Lord Farve thinks the wheels are falling off your alls wagon !? :shock: :twisted: :duel: :flag:

packinpatland
08-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Sounds to me like Lord Favre thinks the wheels are falling off your alls wagon !? :shock: :twisted: :duel: :flag:

You're really Jamie Dukes hiding behind that 'Bearman' tag aren't you?

superfan
08-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Sounds to me like Lord Favre thinks the wheels are falling off your alls wagon !?

You're really Jamie Dukes hiding behind that 'Bearman' tag aren't you?

Nah. He's the dude from Sling Blade.

http://www.realmofdarkness.net/pranks/slingblade-3.jpg

"Alls wagon"? A sig with a quote from Ronald Regan? Yeesh.

When I read Bearman's posts, I keep hearing this:

http://www.realmofdarkness.net/sounds/sling/slingblade-soundboard-1.htm

Rastak
08-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Didn't see this posted.....I have a full scout.com account so have access to all 32 teams stories....lemme know if you want one posted.

I know you guys have mixed feelings about this guy from what I've read (Sydney that is.......)

Sydney Speaks! Offensive start for offense

Brandon Jackson is stopped by the Steelers. By Harry Sydney
, mybrotherskeeperinc@hotmail.com
Posted Aug 14, 2007

PackerReport.com's Harry Sydney offers his critique of the Packers' first-team offense, which stumbled out of the blocks Saturday night against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Sydney also provides interesting insight on Brandon Jackson, among others, and explains why he is not the answer at running back for the Packers.

Last Saturday night against the Pittsburgh Steelers I saw, unfortunately, what I didn’t want to see but knew I would anyway, and that’s a football team that has no offensive punch. We got to see this mighty offense that Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy have been trying to ram down our throat by even suggesting that this team has enough weapons and that there was no need to go get some help to put points on the board.
I know it’s only the first preseason game and, trust me, my expectations aren’t high, but where are the points going to come from? I’ve been asking this for a long time.

I try to give the Packers the benefit of the doubt even though I watch practice and knew what to expect, and so should you. As usual let me explain in more detail and, believe me, I get no pleasure out of being right.

My first question for the offensive coaches is: Does everyone realize football is a physical game and that sometimes at practice you just might have to really hit someone to prepare for a game? I know Mike McCarthy worries about injuries, but someone needs to tell him it’s part of the game. I went to my son’s high school football practice and they hit in pads more in one day than the Packers have all training camp and it showed in the game.

As a coach you can’t create an atmosphere of toughness by just flipping on some light switch and say, ‘OK guys, it’s game time. Go be physical.’ Not only that, but I can’t believe the start of the game against Pittsburgh. Everyone in the world is questioning the ability of the Packers to run the ball, especially with an unproven and untested Brandon Jackson getting the nod by forfeit because Vernand Morency is hurt, and there isn’t a run play until the third series!

Enough about the coaching. Let’s talk about the players for a minute. I’ll start with Brandon Jackson and let me say I like his effort, but so what? I know a lot of players that give effort and that doesn’t make them anything but high-effort, average players at best, just like Brandon Jackson. No disrespect to him, but the fact is what we saw against the Steelers is what we will see all year long.

As a former player and coach I see things just a little different than most and one of the things I saw that I didn’t like was the way he ducked his head, at times, for contact. If he did that against the Steelers’ back-ups what is he going to do when he plays against the starters for a whole game? He brings nothing to the table that says to me he’s part of the answer.

I liked what I saw in Aaron Rodgers. He showed more poise and he seemed to be in command of the offense. He did a good job showing leadership but then again does it really matter? Has he improved, especially considering this is still Brett’s team and Rodgers plays the game with handcuffs on. What I mean by this is that how can he correct a receiver for doing this or that when Brett might want it done that way. Who do you think that receiver is going to listen to?

As I see it we have no proven running backs, and a group of young, unproven talented receivers behind Donald Driver and Bubba Franks beating the ball up instead of catching it. The offensive line doesn’t want to hurt or hit anyone yet.

The bright spot on offense was the play of James Jones. He had 6 catches for 58 yards, not bad for his rookie debut. I like his toughness and route running ability. Many knocked his speed, but he plays at football speed and that’s all that matters. So hat’s off to him for that, but most of the receivers had trouble shaking their defenders and couldn’t get any separation which made it almost impossible for Brett to find throwing lanes. For that matter Aaron Rodgers had that problem as well and that’s why he seemed to scramble as much.

This is the problem I’ve been talking about since before free agency and the draft. How are the Packers going to score? I have heard enough talk about the offensive line and how good it is going to be because it has been working together for a while and understands the ZONE BLOCKING SCHEME. Well, I didn’t see any signs of that against the Steelers and, trust me, I wanted to. I wanted to see Brandon Jackson make me a believer, and he didn’t. I wanted to see Mike McCarthy commit to the run coming out the gate and trying to force the run, but as we saw that didn’t happen. Please understand the defense had its share of mistakes, but I’m not worried about that side of the ball because it has enough playmakers. The defense, when they get it together, can be one of the best in the league this year. It’s the offense that I am worried about because after one preseason game, whether you like it or not, just how horrible they are on that

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2007, 09:08 PM
As a former player and coach I see things just a little different than most

Meaning: I'm smarter than everybody else--even though I've been wrong plenty of times before... just like everybody else.

Rastak
08-14-2007, 09:09 PM
As a former player and coach I see things just a little different than most

Meaning: I'm smarter than everybody else--even though I've been wrong plenty of times before... just like everybody else.

Yea, I recall you guys mainly hating this guy.....LOL.....I don't know him at all.

RashanGary
08-14-2007, 09:17 PM
I called him on 107.5 and called him a genius in a rude, sarcastic tone. He hung up on me :)

RashanGary
08-14-2007, 09:18 PM
You have no idea how often this guy is wrong, Ras. Just take whatever he says and go with the opposite. He's also stubborn as an ox.

LL2
08-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Favre frustrated again! Let's start the Arod era!!

GBRulz
08-14-2007, 09:50 PM

I thought we already have!

http://clipart.peirceinternet.com/png/clipboard.png

GrnBay007
08-14-2007, 09:51 PM
LOL! Good 1 GBR :D

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2007, 09:53 PM

:clap:

Bretsky
08-14-2007, 10:12 PM

I'll be the first to pee on the paper :lol:

LL2
08-15-2007, 08:33 AM

I'll be the first to pee on the paper :lol:

I knew my remark would get a few comments.

Seriously though I can see how Favre would be frustrated. It was like Deja Vu all over again and the 3 and out's probably reminded him of too many frustrations of the past 2 years. The team has some second and third year players that need to start contributing.

Bretsky
08-15-2007, 08:38 AM
I knew my remark would get a few comments.

Seriously though I can see how Favre would be frustrated. It was like Deja Vu all over again and the 3 and out's probably reminded him of too many frustrations of the past 2 years. The team has some second and third year players that need to start contributing.

The offense struggled last year; Favre campaigned to bring in veteran free agent help. I'm sure at a minimum TT said he's at least try. Lost Ahman and Martin. Brought in rookies. I too can see why he'd be frustrated. On paper the improvements are not there. Just gotta hope they young guys develop.

Fritz
08-15-2007, 08:56 AM
As I wrote on anolther thread, Favre seems very much like the old dog in any profession or career, whose running buddies are gone. He misses them, he misses the good old days, and he doesn't know the young punks that have stepped in. He's feeling a little alone.Makes him a little sad, a little grumpy, a little nostalgic.

I say we kill two birds with one stone and re-sign Mark Chmura. We get a slow tight end who can catch the ball, and we get one of Favre's old buddies back so Favre doesn't feel so all alone any more.

And if wells keeps screwing up snaps, TT could re-sign Favre's old buddy at center. The name slips my aging mind at the moment.

Bretsky
08-15-2007, 08:58 AM
As I wrote on anolther thread, Favre seems very much like the old dog in any profession or career, whose running buddies are gone. He misses them, he misses the good old days, and he doesn't know the young punks that have stepped in. He's feeling a little alone.Makes him a little sad, a little grumpy, a little nostalgic.

I say we kill two birds with one stone and re-sign Mark Chmura. We get a slow tight end who can catch the ball, and we get one of Favre's old buddies back so Favre doesn't feel so all alone any more.

And if wells keeps screwing up snaps, TT could re-sign Favre's old buddy at center. The name slips my aging mind at the moment.

Frankie Winters

I'll never forget the game at Leabeau when the Viking safety (corey fuller I think) reached inside of Winters helmet to give him an eye gouge. Reminded me of all star wrestling

Fritz
08-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Ah, that's it. Winters.

That play reminded more of a South Park episode, where Satan brings Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy back to walk the earth. They end up doing a Three Stooges-like spiel, except when eyes get poked, they really get poked out - complete with spurting blood.

HarveyWallbangers
08-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Honestly, Brett needs to shut his trap. We get the point. The team actually looked pretty good--except for him and his first team offense. If they had played up to par, we'd be talking about how great the team looked in their first preseason game (which would be unusual) against a good team that had a game under its belt at their place.

Bretsky
08-15-2007, 09:15 AM
I agree; it would be better for all if Brett just adopted a TT like approach and generalized

Packnut
08-15-2007, 09:19 AM
I agree; it would be better for all if Brett just adopted a TT like approach and generalized

Generalized=lie

Joemailman
08-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Brett needs to understand that this defense should be good enough that he doesn't need to go out and put 30 points on the board for the Packers to win. I'm not too worried. A couple early wins (which I think are very possible), and he'll perk up.

BEARMAN
08-15-2007, 08:27 PM
It's a beieotch getting old ! :bs2: :laugh: :duel: :flag:

SD GB fan
08-15-2007, 08:35 PM
well, at least he is a whole better than the other QB south of us.