PDA

View Full Version : Why Ted Thompson Trades Down - And Why It Works

Fritz
05-01-2006, 05:22 PM
I know that many of you doubt TT, and some of you (named Tank) hate what he does. However, I would like to propose an explanation as to why TT trades down so often, and why that is a sound philosophy of player acquisition.

First, it makes sense from a level-of-talent standpoint. Yes, he trades down, and theoretically the quality of players from which to choose is lower, but in practice the difference between players from rounds two through four and five through seven is less than most people believe. That is, players drafted in round two are only slightly more likely to be successful as players drafted in round four. Same for five through seven. The differences are slight.

Plus it's a numbers game. Twelve picks from the same pool of players as someone who got only six players means the team with twelve picks has a better mathematical chance to hit on the maximum number of players.

Thompson exploits this because he does not make the biggest mistake a GM can make: falling in love with one player. That guy the GM has just got to have. That's an ego mistake. The GM believes so strongly in his ability that he KNOWS the guy will be a star, so he sacrifices a later pick. This is a crucial mistake. It does not work often enough (Javon Walker) to warrant the sacrifice of picks (BJ Sander, Kenny Peterson, Donnell Washington plus the picks that Sherman gave up to get those stiffs).

TT, on the other hand, has said repeatedly that he groups players - he sees a group of six or eight or ten guys that he and his staff think have an equal chance in the NFL, and if Ted then gets a call to trade down, and he'll still have a chance at one of the guys in that same quality-group, he pulls the trigger. He still gets a player he feels is of equal value, plus a pick. Then he repeats. But if he sees a drop in quality, he refuses and makes his pick (like Hawk).

He's the right man to build this team.

Homer Jay
05-01-2006, 05:25 PM
That was my biggst concern with Sherman. He'd fall in love with a guy and trade up to make a reach. Thompson may have reached a couple times (or maybe not) but he didn't throw away picks to do it.

Joemailman
05-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Fritz,

TT's approach is absolutely right. In fact, I would argue that even in the case of Walker, trading up was unwise. Sherman gave up a 2nd round pick to move up 8 spots to take a wide receiver who gave us one good year.

It is also worth noting that TT had offers to move down out of the spot where he took Cory Rodgers, but refused. So when TT moves down, it is for a specific reason. It's not just something he does every chance he gets.

Tarlam!
05-02-2006, 12:48 AM
This is a good thread, Fritz, and I think your explanation is very plausible.

Another great example of TT not budging when he felt the value:player available equation was lopsided against him was our first pick in the draft = A.J.

He said he had some really lucrative offers to trade out of number 5, but he turned them all down. He wanted Hawk. )0% of us wanted Hawk.

Had he traded out of that spot, I would have probably joined Tank as a TT basher...

RashanGary
05-02-2006, 12:56 AM
That pretty much sums it up. If there is only one or two players on their board who are better than the rest he'll keep the pick and take the player. If there are 6 or 7 players on the board and he's moving down 7 spots he's gaurenteed one of them and he gets another player. Why not do it right?

In the case of the #5 pick it was Hawk and then everyone else. He wanted the star defender and took him above all other offers.

Fritz
05-02-2006, 05:57 AM
I was surprised to find out how much TT apparently really did want Hawk. I thought if he had an offer to trade down (I'm guessing he was offered maybe a second and third or fourth by one of the teams picking 10 - 16 or so) he would do it, seeing the number of needs the team had. However, he stood firm, apparently because A) he wanted Hawk, bad - obviously rated him way higher than Carpenter or maybe even Sims and B) he knew he could trade down later, with the second rounder, and he trusted his scouting staff and his own evaluation of talent.

And I like that. I did not know he had an offer to trade down but took Cory Rodgers instead, but again, it shows that TT is not trading down simply for the sake of trading down.

In hindsight you wonder too if he had a sense that the db's would have a run made on them and therefore signed Woodson so he could focus on other areas. I'm glad, by the way, he didn't take Jimmy Williams. From every single thing I've read, he's an A#1 butthole. Not that Charles Woodson is a saint, though.