PDA

View Full Version : PFT.com ranks Packers #24. TT gets blasted.

gbpackfan
08-14-2007, 08:58 PM
COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER MYSELF. When will fans start to realize that TT is suppose to be doing EVERYTHING in his power to make the Packers better. Well, he isn't. The Packers can get better from three different aveunues. 1. From within (player development. 2. The draft. 3. FREE AGENCY. What would your boss say to you if you only did 66.6% of your job? My guess, you'd get fired.

ARTICLE -----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Packers remain trapped in an era that feels like a rebuilding period, but without the rebuilding.

Really, are the Packers doing anything to try to get better? Sure, there's the draft. But the draft is only part of the picture when it comes to making a team better. By all accounts, the Pack did nothing in free agency to infuse veteran help into the roster.

Okay, technically the Pack signed cornerback Frank Walker, formerly of the Giants. Other than that, the Packers have not added any veteran player through one of the primary devices for shaping a roster.

And this all occurred only one year after quarterback Brett Favre implored the franchise to pursue a Reggie White-style free agent.

"I'd like to say I think we are better, but I don't know if we are," Favre said in his press conference about nothing in April 2006. "I don't make those decisions, never asked to. . . . I know when we signed Reggie White [in 1993], we knew we were going to be better right away. We have to make a statement again."

Frank Walker isn't a "statement." He's not even a word.

It's almost as if G.M. Ted Thompson is taking a passive-aggressive approach to getting Favre to leave, but that Favre has yet to get the message. Or, alternatively, maybe Favre has decided to stick around just to spite Thompson.

Meanwhile, there's no running game to speak of, and the receivers are so-so.

Favre's most recent assessment of his unit? "We have to find and build chemistry every day and each week, and find what plays work and fit the guys that we have running them," he said on Tuesday, August 14.

Now that we think about it, maybe Thompson's goal is to get Favre killed.

The defense is okay, but will be hard pressed to make up for an offense that simply doesn't have the players at the skill positions to be a real threat.

Brett, you deserve much better. The ever-loyal fans do, too.

Key departures: RB Ahman Green, TE David Martin.

Key arrivals: None.

Draft pick most likely to make an impact: RB Brandon Jackson.

Coach's current job security: Two years.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/No24Packers.htm

Packnut
08-14-2007, 09:07 PM
His failure to sign one of the TE free agents or to bring in an experienced RB is a crucial failure. The money was there and obviously better talent than what we have now. RB's who can't pick up a freakin blitz and TE's who are non-existent is'nt my recipe for winning.

How anyone can keep making excuses for doing nothing is just mind-boggling. Oh well, can't wait to see the tone of this board after 4 games and we're ranked near the bottom in points scored. One thing is for certain and that is our D is gonna have a shit-load of pressure on them......

Bretsky
08-14-2007, 09:07 PM
No surprise the national media would treat TT like this

They don't have all the Kool Aide homerism pumped into them like we do.
They don't have the Kool Aide faith that all our players willl improve faster than the rest.

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2007, 09:10 PM
This isn't the national media--although I'd agree that we'll get little love from them. It really means very little. They predicted we'd win 4 games last year. We won 8. Florio isn't national media though. He's a self-professed Vikings fan who has always had it out for #4.

Rastak
08-14-2007, 09:12 PM
This isn't the national media--although I'd agree that we'll get little love from them. It really means very little. They predicted we'd win 4 games last year. We won 8. Florio isn't national media though. He's a self-professed Vikings fan who has always had it out for #4.

He's clearly risen to national media, biases or not. He RIPPED the Vikes this week and even gave them turd points for a guy who didn't commit any crimes as a Vike....I'm kinda pissed at him right now....LOL

Deputy Nutz
08-14-2007, 09:21 PM
I have a hard time arguing against some of the statements that PFT made.

On paper his off-season looks a bit ridiculous.

Packnut
08-14-2007, 09:22 PM

They don't have the Kool Aide faith that all our players willl improve faster than the rest.

Yep, they are all pro-bowl type potential players. :wink:

Bretsky
08-14-2007, 09:24 PM

At least we have 13,000,000 under da pillow :lol:

PackerBlues
08-14-2007, 09:24 PM
I would bet, that there are more Favre fans in this country, than there are Packer fans. People all over the country are going to be asking the same questions all throughout the season. We have already seen a glimpse of it. Guys like Steve Young, Troy Aikman, and Terry Bradshaw all on National television, talking about how Thompson is letting Favre down. If this Offense does not produce, these same guys and many more like them are going to be bashing Thompson non-stop throughout the season, and if that happens, there are not enough Thompson supporters/apologist in the world to save Teddy and his ego from being kicked to the curb. :butt:

Bretsky
08-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Young, who I find to be a solid analyst, has been one of the consistent and strongest turtle bashers. We just have to hope our guys improve and develop more than our competitors and out competitors free agents turn out to be turds.

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2007, 09:33 PM

I don't necessarily disagree either, but coming from Florio it means little to me. Fortunately, we'll know soon enough. The experts (and Florio) have been wrong many times before. The teams that make the big FA signings always get the winning grades in the offseason--yet they seldom win the championship. Most teams that do well usually have had 2 or 3 good drafts in a row, and those guys come into their own. It's not that often that a mediocre or poor team loads up on FAs (getting the positive reviews) and that puts them over the top. Moreso than what FAs we may or may not have missed out on, Thompson's future will lie in his draft picks and young players. If they become good, this team will do well. If they don't, he'll be gone.

Deputy Nutz
08-14-2007, 09:34 PM
I guess I have questions, I understand that the free agent pool wasn't real good, and I also understand that Moss decided to go to a contender with the best coaching staff in the NFL.

I guess TT thinks that adding veterans will just get in the way of the youngster's growth.

Fuck I don't know what he is thinking, he won't tell me shit.

BEARMAN
08-14-2007, 09:38 PM

Round of KOOL-AID for every one ! :eyes:

Partial
08-14-2007, 09:39 PM
His failure to sign one of the TE free agents or to bring in an experienced RB is a crucial failure. The money was there and obviously better talent than what we have now. RB's who can't pick up a freakin blitz and TE's who are non-existent is'nt my recipe for winning.

How anyone can keep making excuses for doing nothing is just mind-boggling. Oh well, can't wait to see the tone of this board after 4 games and we're ranked near the bottom in points scored. One thing is for certain and that is our D is gonna have a shit-load of pressure on them......

This is just getting old!

Just because the money is there does not mean a player (likely demanding a multiple year contract for their security) is there that is worth spending the money.

TT has a decent staff working for him. If they say Eric Johnson is an injury risk, an adequate at best player, and a waste of money who are we to disagree?

gbpackfan
08-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Who are we to disagree? HUH! Are you serious????

The President has a much bigger staff then TT and citizens disagree with his thinking all the time. And he has a lot more information to work with then TT has.

We are fans! That's who we are. If you ask me, the "there were no good free agents" arguement is weak. There were guys and TT should have gotten some of them.

Example: Travis Henry looked damn good the other night. He would have been a nice vet. addition.

RashanGary
08-14-2007, 09:48 PM
I understand the angst. However, I saw/see good things in this team and I want to see them play more than 12 snaps before I jump off a ledge.

Partial
08-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Who are we to disagree? HUH! Are you serious????

The President has a much bigger staff then TT and citizens disagree with his thinking all the time. And he has a lot more information to work with then TT has.

We are fans! That's who we are. If you ask me, the "there were no good free agents" arguement is weak. There were guys and TT should have gotten some of them.

Example: Travis Henry looked damn good the other night. He would have been a nice vet. addition.

Disagree isn't the right word. Why be disgusted over not signing a player who sucks? People get all up in arms about TT not signing a free agent yet I rarely see a pro bowler hit the free agent market. If Tony Gonzo was available, I would have said throw the farm at him and make it happen. I reckon TT would have, too. But for Eric Johnson? This kid defines 1 year wonder and I don't see the point in worrying. He is no better than Lee.

Partial
08-14-2007, 10:05 PM
I would much rather see TT trade for a 23-24 year old old with some speed to play tight end. Maybe a dominick byrd or a leonard pope.

Bretsky
08-14-2007, 10:23 PM

Just because the money is there does not mean a player (likely demanding a multiple year contract for their security) is there that is worth spending the money.

TT has a decent staff working for him. If they say Eric Johnson is an injury risk, an adequate at best player, and a waste of money who are we to disagree?

So is you argument that there were no players worth the money to sign :?:

Or is the mantle just to trust ?

Bretsky
08-14-2007, 10:25 PM
I understand the angst. However, I saw/see good things in this team and I want to see them play more than 12 snaps before I jump off a ledge.

I see good for the future as well

Everybody knows that I think TT is a solid drafter, and everybody knows I don't think much of him during free agency.

Let the dam games begin; I'm sick of arguing about this shit :lol:

Partial
08-14-2007, 10:27 PM

A little of both. There wasn't a tight end worth signing. Travis Henry would have been nice, though. But, oh well. I trust in TT (who trusts in MM) that BJ will turn into a good player.

Bretsky
08-14-2007, 10:29 PM
I would much rather see TT trade for a 23-24 year old old with some speed to play tight end. Maybe a dominick byrd or a leonard pope.

Byrd is intriguing; I'm not sure Pope will become available.

Partial, you were pounding the table for TT to go get Adrian Peterson. There is nothing wrong with taking some gambles in the draft or in free agency to fill some holes as well. Nothing wrong with taking gambles.

Some GM's felt players signed to free agent contracts were worth the risk. Maybe you are right and TT did not.

It's just as valid to say they are right as it is to say TT is right.

That's why it's fun to express our own views as well. I don't think we should have complete faith in any of those schmucks :lol:

Bretsky
08-14-2007, 10:32 PM

A little of both. There wasn't a tight end worth signing. Travis Henry would have been nice, though. But, oh well. I trust in TT (who trusts in MM) that BJ will turn into a good player.

I don't think I can give TT any more credibility for not siging free agent than the qualified GM's who chose to sign them. That's why I've never embraced the nobody is worth it theme.

There were better receiving TE's than Bubba Franks out there. Maybe they cost a lot, but they were upgrades.

Travis Henry, completely agree with you on that one
Also would have jumped on the Adrian Peterson trade up wagon.
I never embraced it because I didn't think TT had the stones to consider it

Partial
08-14-2007, 11:27 PM

Byrd is intriguing; I'm not sure Pope will become available.

Partial, you were pounding the table for TT to go get Adrian Peterson. There is nothing wrong with taking some gambles in the draft or in free agency to fill some holes as well. Nothing wrong with taking gambles.

Some GM's felt players signed to free agent contracts were worth the risk. Maybe you are right and TT did not.

It's just as valid to say they are right as it is to say TT is right.

That's why it's fun to express our own views as well. I don't think we should have complete faith in any of those schmucks :lol:

It would have been nice to go and get Peterson. I think he'd be better over the next 2-3 years than Harrell and Jackson will be combined. Wish he was a Packer. But we shall see. I think Harrell will be a great player in time. I am not as high on Jackson as others.

Harrell, Jackson and Henry would probably look better than Peterson, though. Should have signed Travis Henry. They could have had him for two years at 4 mil a piece if they acted early. The perfect amount of time to develop Jackson from the #3 spot to the #1 spot.

superfan
08-14-2007, 11:33 PM
TT is impossible to get any kind of a read on. Most of the time I think he is simply cheap. But last year prior to the start of the season, I thought we overpaid for Woodson, and I liked the lowball signings over the last couple years of Kenderick Clancy, Ben Taylor, Robert Thomas, Marc Boerigter, Rod Gardner, Marquand Manuel at the time they were made.

Considering Woodson's success and the failings of the cheap guys, one would think that Thompson would lean towards spending more for the better talent.

I assume NFL front offices have a board of free agents and how much they think they are worth, similar to a draft board. If that is true, then Thompson must have had lower values on players then other teams, which is why (almost) nobody was signed. Which goes back to him being cheap.

This is madness. This is the kind of thing that happens to small market MLB teams, and shouldn't happen to an NFL franchise with revenue sharing and salary caps.

I'm on board with the overall strategy of building through the draft and emphasizing defense. And I don't expect to sign a Reggie White each offseason. But FA definitely needs to be used to fill the gaps.

PackerBlues
08-14-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm on board with the overall strategy of building through the draft and emphasizing defense. And I don't expect to sign a Reggie White each offseason. But FA definitely needs to be used to fill the gaps.

Its being used to fill the gaps.......just on Defense though. Which when you consider our red zone problems last year, the loss of a TE and our best RB, is just plain weird.

The Leaper
08-15-2007, 08:13 AM
Considering Woodson's success and the failings of the cheap guys, one would think that Thompson would lean towards spending more for the better talent.

Potentially, you may be correct. There weren't a lot of high caliber talents available in FA this year, and it appears Thompson has passed on signing marginal talents who really haven't proven to be worth the effort in the past.

I certainly believe there were a few upgrades out there to be had. However, outside of Moss, I didn't see anyone who had the potential to make a major impact on this team in 2007.

Trading up for Peterson is a non-issue. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that Thompson could have even pulled off a deal if he had wanted to. Some of you are really ignorant of draft history and just what it takes to move up that much in the draft. Few, if any, teams in recent draft history have moved up into the top 5 picks of the draft without having multiple first round picks to throw into the mix...or a blue chip player on the roster they could move that others want. We had neither.

All of you whining like babies about TT not going after Peterson look foolish. I could see an argument in favor of going after Lynch, since moving up 4-5 picks was far more likely. But to think we had a chance to land Peterson without giving up most of our draft is nutso...unless you think the Vikings and Saints made out like bandits on their deals for Walker and Williams.