PDA

View Full Version : Coaches ask Favre to play safe

Partial
08-14-2007, 10:03 PM
JSO Article By Robert McGinn (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=647385)

Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Steve DeBerg and Jim Harbaugh were asked to manage football games. Brett Favre was asked to win them.

But winds of change are blowing through the National Football League's smallest city these days. Favre has made precious few of those "wow" throws that marked his first 15 summers with the Green Bay Packers, but the head coach remains unconcerned.

"In '99 there'd be one a day where you'd go, 'Holy (bleep), I can't believe he made that throw,' " Mike McCarthy said Tuesday. "It's not like the old days, but to me that's good, because I don't need him to play like a wild stallion anymore. We're not built that way."

McCarthy only hinted at the formula that he and Ted Thompson apparently have adopted for 2007: low-risk offense, rock-ribbed defense.

"Brett needs to go out and have his best year statistically that he's had in quite some time," McCarthy said. "Completion percentage. Low interceptions. We're going to have a good field-goal kicker."

Favre cut his interception total from an NFL-leading 29 in 2005 to 18 last season. But his 56.0% completion mark was the lowest of his career and his yards-per-attempt rate of 6.34 was the second-worst of his career.

Now Favre is being asked to take even fewer chances, accept the beauty of field position and let the defense win the game.

It's hard to say where Favre is coming from these days. In practice, he has exhibited almost none of the happy-go-lucky qualities that lightened the camp load. And in his infrequent strolls through the locker room during media periods, he has had a blank expression on his face.

On Tuesday, Favre never laughed once during a 27-minute briefing with reporters. He spoke of his enthusiasm for the task at hand but his body language really didn't back it up.

"He's disappointed about Saturday night, he really is," McCarthy said, referring to the No. 1 offense's inability to pick up a first down in four possessions during a 13-9 exhibition victory in Pittsburgh. "And two weeks ago, with Rocky's passing... rough couple days."

Rocky Byrd, the stepdad of Deanna Favre and one of Brett's closest confidants, died unexpectedly July 28.

Has McCarthy received any indication from Favre that coming back for a 17th season was a mistake?

"Oh, no," McCarthy said. "But I will say this. I think sometimes the negativity that he hears, the 'We should have done this for him, we should have done that for him,' that wears him out."

Favre pushed hard for Randy Moss. He perhaps fought to re-sign Ahman Green. He might have advocated the signing of an unrestricted tight end.

Instead, Moss is in New England, Green is in Houston, Donald Lee is starting at tight end and the leading offensive newcomer in Green Bay is rookie running back Brandon Jackson.

"There's two ways to look at this year," Favre said. "You're a young football team with a mature quarterback who has seen it all with a defense that by most people's standards is the best of our three (phases). You may not score many points . . . so don't make any mistakes.

"Then again, what happens if we have to score points? I'm kind of in-between that right now. At some point, you've got to turn it loose."

The inept, mistake-riddled effort by the starting offense in Pittsburgh prompted this from Favre: "I was as frustrated when I came out as I think I've ever been in pre-season."

When asked about the playoffs, Favre shrugged and said, "Let's try to beat Seattle this week and get better. Would I love for us to win and go to the playoffs? Absolutely. Do I think that can happen? I do. Do I think we could struggle and make it harder on ourselves? We can go one of two ways, or hang in the middle."

But then Favre returned to some of the themes aging quarterbacks have forever had in common.

He talked about his glory days a decade ago when a talented and experienced cast knew exactly what one another would do. He spoke about how his fresh-faced teammates "keep me youthful." And he talked about compartmentalizing his approach in '07.

"They know," Favre said, referring to McCarthy and Thompson, "as well as I do, what we're up against offensively. It's a lot different than five years ago, six years ago, seven years ago. But at some point, I have to play the game."

If truth be told, Favre has been rather ordinary this summer. There was a time when his plays and his throws stood out starkly on the practice field. That isn't necessarily the case anymore.

Favre, however, is cutting no corners, according to McCarthy. He put in eight weeks of drudgery working with a personal trainer leading up to camp, and his willingness to prepare doesn't seem to have ebbed.

"Friday night at the hotel in Pittsburgh, I go down to check on things, and Brett's there watching film," McCarthy said. "He did 2½ hours of film study, and he's going to play 12 plays. We probably had 10 to 15 guys that came in.

"I'm leaving (Lambeau Field) Sunday night and he's coming back in. If anything, I have to restrain him. He's big into play selection. His mind is always about football."

Does McCarthy automatically assume that Favre will play effectively?

"I don't think you can," he replied. "I think it's an easy mind-set to fall into, but he needs to be coached like everybody else. We get on him, but 99 times out of 100 he's already saying, 'I screwed that thing up.'

"But it is different. You're talking to a guy . . . that views the game like a coach. Sometimes he worries too much. This guy is a lot more dedicated classroom-wise and schematically than he was in '99 when I was coaching him. Not even close."

When publicist Jeff Blumb halted the interrogation, Favre turned stage right and shuffled slowly away from the podium.

It's a new season for an old quarterback charged now with not losing the game. How Favre performs, and chooses to perform, without seasoned professionals around him might well tell the Packers' story in '07.

Bretsky
08-14-2007, 10:14 PM
With limited offense upgrades in the offseason, the mojo may be to keep the score close and let the cards fall as they may in the end.

Favre will find it challenging to play like this.

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2007, 10:16 PM
This is a good sign. It's why I'm encouraged by McCarthy. He's not afraid to call out Favre or coach him like other players. Favre can't afford to play the way he has at times in the past. He has to reduce his turnovers. The defense could be good enough to win games--if the offense doesn't screw it up.

Bretsky
08-14-2007, 10:17 PM
"Brett needs to go out and have his best year statistically that he's had in quite some time," McCarthy said. "Completion percentage. Low interceptions. We're going to have a good field-goal kicker."

Sounds like the old Ravens; let the defense do it's job, try to move the ball knowing the red zone will be a challenge, and kick field goals. I sure hope this defense is dominating.

Partial
08-14-2007, 10:17 PM
With limited offense upgrades in the offseason, the mojo may be to keep the score close and let the cards fall as they may in the end.

I don't think this is going to turn into the Baltimore Ravens of 2000 or anything, I think they are pretty much saying they want to stop giving the ball away so damn much.

I don't think they've won the turnover battle in several years. That will be key to getting back into the playoffs.

The general consensus is that they have bad receivers. With a Greg Jennings at 100%, the general consensus is completely wrong and we have a top 10 receiving core in the NFL.

PackerBlues
08-14-2007, 10:35 PM
"We're going to have a good field-goal kicker"

:wow: So what M3 is saying, is that they want to turn Favre into a Dilfer style QB, and not to worry about our past red zone problems, cause we have a good kicker. That instills so much confidence.

When Favre does finally decide to retire, I am going to be waiting for him to come out with a book, describing exactly what he thought of his final years in GB with M3 and Ted the Drafter. I bet its going to be good!

Bretsky
08-14-2007, 10:37 PM

I don't think this is going to turn into the Baltimore Ravens of 2000 or anything, I think they are pretty much saying they want to stop giving the ball away so damn much.

I don't think they've won the turnover battle in several years. That will be key to getting back into the playoffs.

The general consensus is that they have bad receivers. With a Greg Jennings at 100%, the general consensus is completely wrong and we have a top 10 receiving core in the NFL.

Partial,

I have to admit my jaw dropped when I saw the post that we have a top 10 WR core in the NFL with Jennings.

I'm not sure we're close to that

Mabe top half, but not even sure we are there

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Driver, Jennings, and Jones could be very solid if all three stay healthy (and if Jones is for real). Whether that puts them in the top 10 or top half, I don't know. Not a lot of teams could overcome an injury to a good starting WR. Some can. Most can't.

Rastak
08-14-2007, 10:44 PM

Partial,

I have to admit my jaw dropped when I saw the post that we have a top 10 WR core in the NFL with Jennings.

Plus it's corps.

I wouldn't say top ten, unless Jones is lights out and Jennings looks just like he did at the bginning of the season last year. He definately looked good.

Partial
08-14-2007, 10:47 PM

Partial,

Driver is a top 7 receiver in the league. That alone means 5 teams have a better player than him only. #1 receivers make the majority of the catches, as well. By default, we've got to be pretty highly rated due to this fact along.

Jennings looked great last year. In my opinion, he looked like the best receiver on the football field. Yes, that includes the top 5 receiver in the league in Donald Driver.

Having a top 5 #1, a guy who looks very, very, very solid at #2, and a guy who looks impressive as a #3, as well as two big bodies to catch the deep ball.

How does that not look like a solid receiving corps?

The teams that I can think of with better receivers at the top (the ones that make plays) are Arizona, New England (provided Moss still has anything left in the tank. Stallworth as a #1 cannot compete with Driver. Welker is unproven as a #2 option and is more of a slot receiver), Dallas (though 33 year old Owens and 34ish Glenn are going to slow down big time), Indianapolis (Harrison, Wayne), Cincinnatti(Johnson, Houshmanzada), St. Louis(Holt), Maybe Chicago (they have a lot of potential and a lot of speed) and maybe Denver (Walker).

What other team is better at receiver? I really don't think it is that far fetched. Detroit could draw some consideration as well.

When you go through team by team, you will see that most teams do not have as good of a starting pair as the Packers. A #3 does not need to be a pro bowler to make a receiving group top 10, they just need to be solid. Jones looks like he'll be solid.

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Well, the start of your post is over-the-top, but I do see potential for Driver-Jennings to be a very good combination. I'd definitely give the edge to Detroit though. I wouldn't put Denver in there. Walker and Driver are pretty similar in quality, and I've seen more from Jennings than Brandon Marshall.

Bretsky
08-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Well, the start of your post is over-the-top, but I do see potential for Driver-Jennings to be a very good combination. I'd definitely give the edge to Detroit though. I wouldn't put Denver in there. Walker and Driver are pretty similar in quality, and I've seen more from Jennings than Brandon Marshall.

Where was that dam thread ranking the top WR teams in the NFL ?? That was some good reading.

We're not close to top 10; I'm either going to find the article or offer a breakdown for everybody to ridicule. At least that's more fun that Snapper Fights

Partial
08-14-2007, 11:02 PM

What groups are better, though?

The Jennings being better than Driver is ridiculous I agree, but he showed flashes of absolute brilliance.

My stance is that he put up great numbers in the season. This wasn't a Deon Hawkins homerish hope to develop from a practice squad into a superstar type statement. He put up big time numbers and performed, until he got a bad injury. The type of injury that turned Marshall Faulk (and also sidelined him quite a bit longer than Jennings - toughness) into Nancy Faulk (random name).

He looks the part. If he can put up 1000+ yards and Driver does the same (this is a given barring injury), we'll be a very, very good team.

In the first five weeks of last season (before he was hurt), Jennings actually had 20 more yards than Driver. Those were his first 5 games of his career. Driver has had many season to learn and get himself prepared.

I don't know how good he'll be, but I know he will at least be "good", aka one of the better #2 starters in the league. With one of the best #1s and one of the better #2s, how can we not have a good receiving corps?

Partial
08-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Where was that dam thread ranking the top WR teams in the NFL ?? That was some good reading.

That's what the talking heads at ESPN and CNN say, though. They have no idea who Greg Jennings is or how impressive he looked when healthy.

Bretsky
08-14-2007, 11:09 PM
With training camps approaching, Scouts Inc. ranks the NFL teams 1-32 at nine positions. Today's position: wide receiver.

1. Indianapolis Colts
An exceptional group of wide receivers got better with the addition of first-round selection Anthony Gonzalez. Marvin Harrison is still among the best wide receivers in the league and is playing at his typical Hall of Fame level. Although Reggie Wayne certainly benefits from having Harrison on the other side, he just gets better every season and is now a bona fide Pro Bowl pass-catcher. Harrison and Wayne are both tougher than they are given credit for. Former Ohio State star Gonzalez comes from a big-time college program and was productive at the highest level. He is one of the most polished receivers from this year's draft and should excel with the Colts. This group also benefits from having a pretty darn good quarterback throwing them the football.

2. Arizona Cardinals
Matt Leinart has an ultra-talented pair of wideouts at his disposal. Who do you roll the coverage to? Larry Fitzgerald has great size and enough speed to go along with sticky hands, a fantastic body control and rare ball skills. He excels in the red zone, can stretch the field or eat a cornerback alive with his possession routes. Anquan Boldin is probably the No. 2 option in this offense, but he is a true No. 1 on just about any other team in the league. He has great size and physicality. He is tough and makes a lot of big plays after the catch. He isn't a burner and has slight durability concerns, but he is very productive. These two thrive off each other; few teams in the league have a better situation at wide receiver. What is scary is that this tandem should get better.

3. St. Louis Rams
Torry Holt is an absolute superstar and is quite possibly the best wide receiver in the game today. For some reason, this guy simply does not get his due. He is a future Hall of Famer and continues to perform on a very high level. Holt can do it all and makes every member of this offense better. Isaac Bruce obviously is getting up in age and is not the dynamic weapon that he once was, but as No. 2 receivers go around the league, Bruce is still pretty formidable. St. Louis signed Drew Bennett in free agency to replace Kevin Curtis. Bennett will bring a much-needed big body to this group to complement the other wideouts. The No. 2 spot soon will belong to Bennett, and when he teams with Holt and Bruce, the Rams will find matchups to their advantage with regularity.

4. Cincinnati Bengals
This is an elite group of wide receivers, but Chris Henry's eight-game suspension will hurt. Henry has his problems off the field, but when he steps between the lines, he creates mismatches and consistently makes big plays. He is a touchdown machine. Although Henry will be missed, Tab Perry is a player who could blow up in Henry's absence. Perry is tough as nails, strong and determined with a great blend of size and speed. It can be argued that Chad Johnson is as good as any receiver in the league today, and diagnosing weaknesses in his game is difficult to do. T.J. Houshmandzadeh is an exceptional second option with a high football IQ who consistently exploits single coverage in the short and intermediate areas.

5. Detroit Lions
Is it too early to rank the Lions' wide receivers among the best in the business? Absolutely not. Calvin Johnson is just that good of a prospect. He is a rookie and surely will have some growing pains as all newcomers do, but Johnson is a superstar without physical weaknesses. He will get by on hard work and talent alone this year, and then be among the top players at the position in the next few years. Roy Williams is an out-of-this world athlete who is quickly becoming a complete receiver. Williams is already among the better players at his position and defenses will have a brutal time producing a game plan against this duo. Mike Furrey is solid and should do a great job in the slot and as the No. 3 receiver. QB Jon Kitna is a lucky man.

6. New England Patriots
The Pats' receiving corps would have ranked near the very bottom of this list one year ago, but times have changed. Adding Wes Welker, Donte' Stallworth and Randy Moss to the group will do that. Say what you want about Moss, but when he turns it on, there is no one like him. Of course, he is a wild card at this point, but we have a hunch that Tom Brady might get something out of him. Stallworth will benefit a great deal from all the attention that Moss will garner. Both players are exceptional deep threats and this group is just dripping with big-play potential. Welker is quick and reliable out of the slot. He should fit in very well. Last year's top receiver, Reche Caldwell, will allow the Patriots to exploit secondaries with an outstanding four-receiver set. This group is outstanding on paper, but needs to prove that it is worth our lofty ranking.

7. Denver Broncos
There is a noticeable drop-off after the top six receiver groups. Rod Smith has been a rock of consistency for Mike Shanahan over the past decade or so, but the veteran is beginning to show signs of slipping. Jay Cutler still will look his way when the chips are down, but Brandon Marshall should surpass Smith as the starter opposite Javon Walker. Marshall is a budding star with great tools. He will see a lot of single coverage next year and could make himself a household name in this offense. Walker is a legitimate No. 1 wide receiver who possesses an outstanding combination of size, explosiveness and deep speed. Expect an even better season from Walker in 2007 now that he is a year removed from his knee injury.

8. Dallas Cowboys
Terrell Owens and Terry Glenn are an aging starting duo, but they remain very formidable. For all the drama that Owens brings off the field, he is still a game-changing presence on Sundays. He dropped a lot of passes last year -- many of which would have gone for big plays and touchdowns -- but he played through a serious hand injury, which obviously hindered his ability to catch the ball cleanly. Owens has lost half a step, but is still a very good wideout who scores touchdowns in bunches and is a tough matchup for any cornerback. Glenn is a dynamic second receiver who still can stretch a defense or torture his opponents with crisp, short and intermediate routes. Patrick Crayton is tough and competitive, but overall, the Cowboys are lacking depth behind their veteran starters.

9. Baltimore Ravens
Although Derrick Mason is on the decline, fellow wideouts Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams are gaining steam and progressing very well in their young careers. Williams is one of the best young wide receivers who you have probably never heard of. He is a tall, angular guy who can stretch the field. Williams is going to be a good one. Clayton is a very mature player for such a young guy and has ascended rapidly. He isn't particularly big or physical, but he is extremely quick and makes a lot happen after the catch. Although Mason isn't what he once was and rarely scores, he is still a decent starting option who knows the tricks of his trade. It should be noted that this threesome also benefits a great deal from the presence that TE Todd Heap provides in the middle of the field.

10. Pittsburgh Steelers
Hines Ward has been nicked up a bit over the last two seasons, and with his physical style of play and age, he needs to prove that he can stay healthy for an entire season. That being said, Ward is still a very good player who brings toughness, leadership and attitude to the Steelers' offense. He exploits single coverage and has performed well even when the opposition rolls its coverage in his direction. Last year's first-rounder, Santonio Holmes, experienced some usual bumps in the road during his rookie season, but he finished the season very strong and has the looks of an explosive playmaker. Holmes should have a big year. Behind the starters, Pittsburgh's receiving corps is very average and the Steelers need someone to step up as the No. 3 guy.

11. N.Y. Giants
Much like the rest of the team, this is a wildly inconsistent unit that can blow up with big games or go in the tank when the chips are down. Eli Manning's accuracy leaves a lot to be desired and that cannot be overlooked. Plaxico Burress' skills jump off the film at you, but he's too inconsistent to be considered one of the top wideouts in the game. Amani Toomer is on his last legs, but still could provide a reliable possession target in 2007. Between youngsters Sinorice Moss and Steve Smith, the Giants should have Toomer's heir. Moss is undersized and many were quick to write him off during his rookie season, but he has the potential to be lightning in a bottle. Smith is less dynamic, but probably will be the guy Manning can count on, even as a very young player.

12. New Orleans Saints
The Saints' wide receiver group was very impressive last season, but they lost veteran Joe Horn. Horn will be replaced by first-round selection Robert Meachem. This is a very young group overall and 2006 rookie phenom Marques Colston will be leaned upon very heavily. Is he up to the challenge of performing with a bull's-eye on his chest as the No. 1 option? We have our doubts. He is a big, strong guy with glue hands, but he isn't very explosive. Devery Henderson and Meachem are both excellent speed guys who will stretch the field and open up the shorter throws for the other Saints' pass-catchers. Young receivers are risky, but this group will benefit from Drew Brees' outstanding accuracy, Reggie Bush's playmaking ability and Sean Payton's offensive scheme and play-calling.

13. Seattle Seahawks
Darrell Jackson is now in San Francisco, so Seattle will rely on Deion Branch a great deal, especially with the lack of playmakers at tight end. Branch is a smaller option who is tough, reliable and very quick. He is a fine second wide receiver, but doesn't have the ideal makeup to be a No. 1. Opposite Branch, the Seahawks will line up D.J. Hackett, whom many fans are not yet familiar with. Hackett is under the radar, but has all the tools to be a very good player. He is big, tough, can get deep and has been very productive in limited opportunities. Keep an eye on him. Nate Burleson or Bobby Engram will handle the No. 3 receiver role, while the other provides very solid depth. The expectations for Burleson were obviously too high this time last year, but he has a chance to rebound. Engram should be dependable in clutch situations.

14. Miami Dolphins
Although Chris Chambers is one of the most overrated players in the league, this is not a bad group from top to bottom. Miami surprised many people by drafting Ted Ginn Jr. with the ninth pick in the 2007 draft, but if he can get back to full health (he's recovering from a sprained foot), Ginn is an extremely dangerous player, both on offense and as a returner. His receiving skills are very raw and he drops too many passes, but he has world-class speed that translates to the football field very well. Expect him to be used on a lot of reverses and quick hitches to go along with deep streak routes, where he has the potential to just blow by most starting cornerbacks. Chambers certainly is talented, but needs to be a more consistent producer. Marty Booker is declining, but is still a solid player, even though he offers little big-play ability. Derek Hagan could surprise in his second season.

15. N.Y. Jets
Laveranues Coles is a big-time competitor who put together a very impressive 2006 season. Chad Pennington relies on Coles and Coles delivers. He is a street fighter who wants to win and can be effective in the short and intermediate areas. That being said, he isn't the ideal No. 1 guy. He isn't as explosive as he once was and doesn't get into the end zone with regularity. Opposite Coles, Jerricho Cotchery made a name for himself last season and could build on that. He's now considered a solid No. 2 wideout and New York is set with its starting tandem. There isn't much depth behind these two, however, and an injury to either starter could hurt this offense. This is not a big-play group.

16. Carolina Panthers
Keyshawn Johnson is out. Fellow USC alum Dwayne Jarrett is in. One thing that remains constant though is Steve Smith, who is clearly one of the elite playmakers in the league. Although he isn't big, Smith is pure electricity with uncanny body control and competitiveness. Smith plays big. He exploits double and sometimes triple coverage. But the Panthers need someone to step up on the other side. Someone must emerge from the trio of Jarrett, Drew Carter and Keary Colbert. Jarrett was extremely productive in a big-time college program, but he isn't very fast and needs a lot of work getting off the jam to excel at this level. Carter has a rare blend of size and long speed, but the finer points of his game need work. Colbert lacks the explosion needed to excel and has not transitioned to the NFL all that well. Smith should expect even more coverage in his direction.

17. Philadelphia Eagles
Although Philadelphia lost Donte' Stallworth to free agency, the Eagles amply replaced him with another speed merchant in Kevin Curtis. The former Ram is ready to be a No. 2 wideout and should excel in Andy Reid's receiver-friendly scheme. He is very intelligent and should fit in well in Philadelphia. Reggie Brown has shown signs of becoming a playmaker, but he is not yet a legit No. 1 option -- although we feel he might warrant that distinction very soon. The depth behind these two players is very young and an injury to either starter would be a concern.

18. Chicago Bears
Bernard Berrian exceeded all expectations last year and became a very dangerous deep threat. He isn't real strong or physical, but he can fly and that deep speed can change a game very quickly. He is a bit of a one-trick pony, though, and needs to further refine his skills. Muhsin Muhammad is a big, strong veteran who isn't real dynamic, but is a solid possession option. Neither Berrien nor Muhammad should be considered a true No. 1 wideout. The Bears have a wild card in Mark Bradley. Bradley has had a very difficult time overcoming injuries, but if he can stay healthy and gain some valuable game experience, he has a chance to develop into the Bears' best wide receiver.

19. Cleveland Browns
Braylon Edwards has the makings of a big-time receiver, but he hasn't gotten a ton of help from Cleveland's quarterbacks and he needs to work much harder on taking his game to the next level. He is certainly capable. He is not a burner, but he is big with good ball skills and strength. Opposite Edwards is another big receiver in Joe Jurevicius. Jurevicius is an adequate, yet unspectacular, No. 2 wideout and should provide some much-needed reliability and consistency to Cleveland's passing game if he can stay healthy. For depth, the Browns have three intriguing players in Joshua Cribbs, a converted quarterback who is an exceptional special teams player and returner, Travis Wilson, a big, talented young receiver, and Tim Carter, whom the Browns picked up from the Giants in the Reuben Droughns trade. If one of these three makes great strides, the Browns' pass-catchers could be formidable.

20. Atlanta Falcons
There is talent here, but the production has been poor. Tight end Alge Crumpler is the top option for Michael Vick, and that limits the wide receiver production in this offense. Vick's accuracy issues are also to blame, but the Falcons' wideouts have simply not played well or made Vick's job any easier. Michael Jenkins has deep speed and is very tall, but needs to use those abilities more proficiently. Roddy White could rebound from a very disappointing 2006 season. He has the tools you are looking for in a starter at the position. Atlanta will be without Brian Finneran due to another serious injury, but adding Joe Horn in free agency should pay dividends both on and off the field. He should be a positive role model for Jenkins and White.

21. Buffalo Bills
Lee Evans has not had a big-time quarterback or supporting cast around him, but there are few wide receivers in this guy's class when it comes to going deep. He is instant electricity and is capable of changing a game quickly. Somewhat quietly, Evans has become one of the top dozen or so wide receivers in the game today and he should improve. Unfortunately for Evans and the Bills, there is little around this budding superstar. The Bills absolutely need to get more from their other pass-catchers, but Evans is good enough to excel even when opposing defenses are keying on him.

22. Washington Redskins
Obviously, the Redskins did not get their money's worth with the acquisitions of Antwaan Randle El and Brandon Lloyd. They envisioned a dangerous three-receiver attack with these two and Santana Moss. The truth of the matter is that they still have one excellent wideout in Moss and two players who are much better suited as No. 3 receivers. Moss is small, but he is extremely dangerous when healthy. He can turn a hitch route into a 70-yard touchdown in the blink of an eye and can challenge any secondary deep. The Redskins' quarterback output has been subpar and we expect Jason Campbell to be much improved this season, but they simply have to get more from Randle El and Lloyd.

23. San Diego Chargers
The Chargers recognized their weakness at wide receiver and were aggressive in their selection of Craig Davis in the first round of this year's draft. Davis brings something that this great offense was lacking -- speed on the edge. Obviously, Antonio Gates is the featured receiver in San Diego's offense. But Davis' deep speed will force defenses to stay honest, which should open up room for both Gates in the middle of the field and for LaDainian Tomlinson in the run game. Eric Parker has great hands and good quickness. He will play a valuable role and should begin the season as a starter. The Chargers have a rare bird in Vincent Jackson, who is a massive wideout with impressive physical tools. This could be his breakout season. Jackson has become an effective blocker as well and can be key in springing Tomlinson on long runs. Keenan McCardell's stay in San Diego is over and this is now a young group on the rise.

24. Jacksonville Jaguars
The Jaguars added Dennis Northcutt in free agency. They overpaid for his services, but he should give them a decent slot receiver and punt returner. He isn't much of a big-play guy and isn't overly reliable, but he is a veteran and quick. Ernest Wilford probably will be reduced to the No. 4 receiver. He is big and strong with some red-zone abilities, but lacks the quickness or speed to separate. Jacksonville's pair of first-rounders, Matt Jones and Reggie Williams, both showed flashes of promise last year, but much more is required if the Jaguars are going to mount a formidable passing attack. Both players, Jones in particular, have a lot of upside and need to take the next step in their development. Jones has the abilities to be a serious mismatch with his rare combination of speed and size, but he hasn't played the position enough to develop properly. Someone really needs to step up in this group.

25. San Francisco 49ers
The 49ers' wide receiving corps will have a much different look this year, but it might not be much of an improvement. Ashley Lelie can't be counted on, but his talent-- especially his ability to threaten a defense deep -- is apparent. San Francisco also traded for Darrell Jackson from the Seahawks. Seattle apparently was not too worried about dealing Jackson to a divisional rival and got only a fourth-round pick in return. This is because Jackson lacks toughness and is not the most reliable guy around. He does have big-play ability, though. Arnaz Battle will play a big role this season and San Francisco also drafted Jason Hill, who could be a surprise rookie producer. Overall, this group isn't special and Alex Smith will surely be looking to TE Vernon Davis more than last year in the passing game.

26. Houston Texans
This low ranking is not an indictment on Andre Johnson in any way. He is a great player who is stuck in a very bad situation. He will continue to draw extra coverage in every game he plays as the Texans really don't have much else. Johnson, who led the league in receptions last season, is the total package and is just beginning to come into his own. Eric Moulds is gone, and although he was far from outstanding, he at least had some pedigree. Houston drafted Jacoby Jones in the third round and unless he totally self destructs, he will be thrust into early playing time. That is asking an awful lot from a rookie from Lane College. Jerome Mathis, when healthy, is an ultra-fast deep threat. But he hasn't developed his other receiving skills to this point. Kevin Walter is a solid player, but not someone you want to build your passing game around.

27. Oakland Raiders
The Raiders passed on Calvin Johnson in the draft and dealt Randy Moss to the Patriots. Without those two immensely talented receivers, they still could get adequate production from their current stable of receivers. Jerry Porter and Ronald Curry will start. Neither can be considered reliable, but both are capable of being very productive. Curry just needs to stay healthy. The Raiders took a chance on draft day by trading for former USC star Mike Williams, who be reunited with former Trojans assistant Lane Kiffin -- now the Raiders head coach. Williams was a very high draft pick by the Lions for a reason -- he is massive and was a matchup nightmare in college -- but he did little to speak of in Detroit. Doug Gabriel, Travis Taylor, Alvis Whitted, Johnnie Morant and rookie Johnnie Lee Higgins provide good depth, but there probably isn't enough room on the roster to keep all of them. There is a lot of uncertainty with this group.

28. Green Bay PackersYou gotta love Donald Driver. He is just rock solid. Driver would not be the star at a combine, but he makes play after play every week. Unfortunately, he is the only player on this roster who Brett Favre can completely rely on. Greg Jennings burst onto the scene as a rookie, but quickly fizzled out and struggled with injuries as the grind of the NFL season took its toll. Robert Ferguson has tools to work with, but has not developed as hoped. The Packers selected James Jones in this year's draft. Jones will be counted on to push for the No. 3 receiver spot. Outside of Driver, who is getting up in age, the Packers lack real weapons at wide receiver.

29. Kansas City Chiefs
With tight end Tony Gonzalez as their top receiving target, the Chiefs have gotten by with Eddie Kennison as their No. 1 wide receiver. But he simply is not good enough for such a role. Kansas City finally addressed this problem by selecting Dwayne Bowe in this year's draft. Although he might never be a true No. 1 receiver, Bowe is super tough, big and strong. He will help the running game and should quickly become a starter. Samie Parker has not developed into a quality starter, but should be adequate out of the slot in subpackages. Bowe has promise, but overall, there isn't a lot to get excited about here.

30. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Joey Galloway is an excellent receiver who seems to be defying time, but the poor guy needs more help around him. He still has supreme speed and the ability to make a lot of big plays. Michael Clayton's career has plummeted since his impressive rookie campaign. He absolutely must regain that level of play if Tampa Bay is going to be able to throw the ball with any consistency. Maurice Stovall is big and can create mismatches in the red zone, but overall, there is very little to get excited about with the Buccaneers' receivers outside of Galloway. On the bright side, Tampa Bay's offensive line should be improved, which should help the passing game quite a bit.

31. Tennessee Titans
It was a tough call picking the worst group of receivers in the league between the Vikings and Titans. Tennessee lost Drew Bennett to free agency and that could really sting. The Titans signed David Givens before last season and his knee injury puts his ability to contribute still in jeopardy. They could use Givens in a big way, as he would provide a decent safety valve for Vince Young. Rookie Paul Williams is very inconsistent, but he was a nice risk for this team to take and he has a chance to surprise. Brandon Jones will see plenty of passes. He is physical and catches everything thrown his way. Tennessee has not done its young quarterback any favors with this group of targets.

32. Minnesota Vikings
This is the worst group of wide receivers in the league and there is a good chance that Minnesota's passing game will be awful this season. Troy Williamson has been a bust since entering the league, but he has a chance to rebound in this system and live up to his vast potential -- if he can catch the football. There is a lot to like about his ability, though. The Vikings signed Bobby Wade, who should start opposite Williamson. He is not starting material. Sidney Rice, Minnesota's second-round pick, is a good-looking prospect, but should not be counted on to be a major contributor in his rookie season -- although he might have to be to save this group.

Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles for ESPN.com.

Last edited by packers11 on Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bretsky
08-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Now 28 is absolutely ridiculous; for me we'd probably be right in the middle of the pack

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2007, 11:20 PM
I'm ranking in terms of #1 and #2 WRs--because that's what we were discussing in the other thread:

1. Indianapolis Colts - Harrison / Wayne - BETTER
2. Arizona Cardinals - Fitzgerald / Boldin - BETTER
3. St. Louis Rams - Holt / Bruce - BETTER
4. Cincinnati Bengals - Johnson / Houshmandzadeh - BETTER
5. Detroit Lions - Williams / Johnson - BETTER
6. New England Patriots - Moss / Stallworth - BETTER (Depends if they get the broke down Moss or not)
7. Denver Broncos - Walker / Marshall - EVEN (Jennings showed me more than Marshall last year, so I can't call this any worse than even)
8. Dallas Cowboys - Owens / Glenn - BETTER (although I have a bad feeling about Glenn this year)
9. Baltimore Ravens - Clayton / Mason - WORSE
10. Pittsburgh Steelers - Ward / Holmes - EVEN
11. N.Y. Giants - Burress / Toomer - WORSE
12. New Orleans Saints - Colston / Henderson - WORSE
13. Seattle Seahawks - Branch / Hackett - WORSE
14. Miami Dolphins - Chambers / Booker - WORSE
15. N.Y. Jets - Coles / Cotchery - EVEN
16. Carolina Panthers - Smith / Carter or Colbert or Jarrett - WORSE
17. Philadelphia Eagles - Brown / Curtis - WORSE
18. Chicago Bears - Muhammad / Berrian - EVEN (I'd take our guys, but I'll call it a wash)
19. Cleveland Browns - Edwards / Jurevicius - WORSE

I'll stop here, the rest are worse in my book.

For me, there are 7 combinations that are clearly better. Another 4 that are close. No, it's not far-fetched for me to think they are a top 10 1-2 combination in the league. #12-13 at the worst. Top half easily.

Partial
08-14-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm ranking in terms of #1 and #2 WRs--because that's what we were discussing in the other thread:

6. New England Patriots - Moss / Stallworth - BETTER (Depends if they get the broke down Moss or not)
7. Denver Broncos - Walker / Marshall - EVEN (Jennings showed me more than Marshall last year, so I can't call this any worse than even)
8. Dallas Cowboys - Owens / Glenn - BETTER (although I have a bad feeling about Glenn this year)
18. Chicago Bears - Muhammad / Berrian - EVEN (I'd take our guys, but I'll call it a wash)

For me, there are 7 combinations that are clearly better. Another 4 that are close. No, it's not far-fetched for me to think they are a top 10 1-2 combination in the league. #12-13 at the worst. Top half easily.

I agree with that, especially the added comments. When you add in the third receiver the better teams with more depth begin to surpass them, but as long as Jones is solid for a #3 (which all indications point to thus far), then we'll be all right.

The problem is we need to stay healthy. Then again, what team doesn't?

PackerBlues
08-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Anybody recall GB doing a 4 WR set against the Steelers? I didnt record the game, and I was just wondering who the 4 recievers were when and if they did it.

I am not going to knock Jennings at all, I love the kid, and I think he compliments Driver in the same way that Brooks complimented Freeman. However, as far as him having more yards or receptions than Driver after the first 5 weeks, I think that may have been in large part due to Donald drawing double coverage. I would assume that opposing teams will still try to get away with that if they can. I am as happy about having Driver and Jennings as our #1 and #2 recievers as anyone, if not more, but honestly we need more than just one other guy to step up. Injuries happen, and we need depth. That #3 reciever is going to have to be able to step into the 1 or 2 spot if needed, and that means another guy is going to have to step up to take his place at #3.
My question is which two guys do you all think will be the ones to take the 3rd and 4th reciever spots?

superfan
08-14-2007, 11:56 PM
My question is which two guys do you all think will be the ones to take the 3rd and 4th reciever spots?

If Jones continues to impress, then he is a virtual lock for #3. After that, I see a WRBC situation where Martin, Holliday rotate in and out with the top 3 and see some time in 4 WR sets. Ferguson and Clowney will get occasional looks, assuming they even make the team.

I'm not counting on Koren Robinson to make any contribution whatsoever this year, but if he is reinstated, sober, in shape, and focused, he could be a very good #4 WR. In that dream scenario, I really like the top 4 of Driver, Jennings, Jones, Robinson, with Martin and Holliday off the bench.

Other huge ifs - IF Ferg is somehow healthy and shows the talent he had 5 years ago and IF Clowney can get his game together, that is a very deep receiving corps.

Glug, glug.

As it is, we have a couple pretty good guys, a couple decent guys, and some question marks.

Deputy Nutz
08-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Driver
Jennings
Jones
Ferguson

I see some overreacting to this article, and the fact is, Sherman was doing the same thing before his departure with building up the running game. Maybe it wasn't to the point where he was going to rely on defense and special teams to win the ball game, but he was shifting the offense more towards the run than the pass.

The bottom line is Favre is 37 and has less offensive power than in years pass although I don't know if it worse than the 2001-2002 team with a lazy Freeman and a freelancing Billy Schroeder. and aging Dorsey Levens, and emerging Ahman Green. Tyrone Davis was the star at Tight End don't forget, because Mark Chumura was injuried and molesting girls in the hot tube.

Bretsky
08-15-2007, 01:46 AM

I would not argue with this, although I think the Steelers might be higher than us.....I really like Holmes.........but I also do feel like GB is lower when looking at the whole WR core we were debating in this thread as opposed to just the #1 and #2

packrulz
08-15-2007, 05:03 AM
"Then again, what happens if we have to score points? I'm kind of in-between that right now. At some point, you've got to turn it loose."

This is the crux of the problem, I understand the philosophy of playing it safe, controlling the ball, and moving the chains, but I'm not sure they have the ability to do that. If the defense crowds the box, stuffs the run, breaks up the screens and short passes, you have to throw deep. I guess MM is just trying to get Brett to avoid throwing interceptions, but if the running game doesn't click he's going to have to throw. The problem last year was scoring in the red zone, why not go to 4 WR's? Field goals aren't going to win a lot of games. I think they're deeper at WR than RB, I'll believe they can pound the rock when I see it.

RashanGary
08-15-2007, 06:33 AM
I'm a defense 1st sort of guy so needless to say I'm pretty excited about this whole approach of McCarthy. If Favre can hold back his anxiety and buy into what McCarthy is selling then we can have some really good things.

I'll tell you what, if we win a good # of our first 4 or 5 games and Favre sees how he has to contribute to winning then I think things will just start to roll up for this Packer team. All of the young guys buy in. They don't know any better. Right now, a fast start is important for GB so Favre buys in.

BTW, I agree Partial. Based on that list of #1's and #2's, I think we are right up with the top 10. Jones, Martin and Holliday are probably as reliable as any #3, 4 and 5 in the league.

RashanGary
08-15-2007, 06:38 AM
If Favre can just come in and lead the offense and not screw up despite the fact that his RB might not be where he wants him or Jennings might not be Driveresq in how he runs is routes or his TE might be a lump on a log, they can still win with defense and special teams.

That said, by the end of the year; Jackson, Mornecy and Herron should be on the same general page with Favre. If Jennings stays healthy he can be on a similar page with Favre as well. The line should also be playing it's best toward the end. If they can just win some games early on defense and Favre doesn't screw up, things will come together for him at the time when it matters most. I think the Packers can be a dangerous team in the playoffs with an offense that is getting in it's groove, a defense that is smothering for four quarters and a good ST's. It's all predicated on Favre not losing the game and it's GREAT to see a coach who is willing to coach Favre the way McCarthy is.

RashanGary
08-15-2007, 06:42 AM
I hate to say it, but McCarthy is asking Favre to do what Brady naturally does and what Manning did in his lowest #'s year but most successfull year. If you want to win, it's more important for your QB not to screw up than it is for him to be the gunslinging playmaker.

Sure a QB has to make plays like Manning did last year or Brady has done his whole career but if you look at Manning, his most successfull season was his Bradyesq season not his most spectacular season. Favre needs to chill the hell out and play football like the championship QB's of the present and past did it. It's fun to watch a gun slinger, but I'm ready to watch a winner.

MadtownPacker
08-15-2007, 08:19 AM
This is the crux of the problem, I understand the philosophy of playing it safe, controlling the ball, and moving the chains, but I'm not sure they have the ability to do that. If the defense crowds the box, stuffs the run, breaks up the screens and short passes, you have to throw deep. I guess MM is just trying to get Brett to avoid throwing interceptions, but if the running game doesn't click he's going to have to throw. The problem last year was scoring in the red zone, why not go to 4 WR's? Field goals aren't going to win a lot of games. I think they're deeper at WR than RB, I'll believe they can pound the rock when I see it.Maybe M3 is just trying to set the standard high for Favre. He might figure he needs to set it high so that Favre and him can met halfways. I highly doubt he doesnt want Favre to be Favre. There was one game last season where the Pack was behind and Favre said M3 told him to do what he does. So I think M3 just wants his QB to know that there is a limit to the freelancing.

Bretsky
08-15-2007, 08:25 AM
If Favre can just come in and lead the offense and not screw up despite the fact that his RB might not be where he wants him or Jennings might not be Driveresq in how he runs is routes or his TE might be a lump on a log, they can still win with defense and special teams.

That said, by the end of the year; Jackson, Mornecy and Herron should be on the same general page with Favre. If Jennings stays healthy he can be on a similar page with Favre as well. The line should also be playing it's best toward the end. If they can just win some games early on defense and Favre doesn't screw up, things will come together for him at the time when it matters most. I think the Packers can be a dangerous team in the playoffs with an offense that is getting in it's groove, a defense that is smothering for four quarters and a good ST's. It's all predicated on Favre not losing the game and it's GREAT to see a coach who is willing to coach Favre the way McCarthy is.

You sure do use a lot of ifs :wink:

This argument that Favre must be safe assumes an incredibly dominating defense and also assumes that we iron out this safety postions that has not looked good so far, on paper or in games.

But if the defense is incredibly dominant and gives up very few points
and if Favre plays it safe and throws the ball away more (KEEP IN MIND THE LACK OF GAMBLING MAY ALSO RESULT IN FEWER GAMBLES THAT WORK)
and if the OL improves
and if the RB's are competent
and if the WR's stay healthy and do as well as we'd expect them to

then this theory of winning will work if we have comparable talent to our opponent and they make more mistakes than we do and don't have any big special team plays.

MadtownPacker
08-15-2007, 08:26 AM
I hate to say it, but McCarthy is asking Favre to do what Brady naturally does and what Manning did in his lowest #'s year but most successfull year. If you want to win, it's more important for your QB not to screw up than it is for him to be the gunslinging playmaker.

Sure a QB has to make plays like Manning did last year or Brady has done his whole career but if you look at Manning, his most successfull season was his Bradyesq season not his most spectacular season. Favre needs to chill the hell out and play football like the championship QB's of the present and past did it. It's fun to watch a gun slinger, but I'm ready to watch a winner.Brady does naturally? Sorry but control freak belichick deserves ALOT of credit for that. Brady has always been asked to manage games not go out and win them with his arm. When he has been asked to do that he has had his issues as well. Just see the playoff game vs the broncos in 2005 (INT to Champ Bailey to seal the loss), last season vs the Colts (another game ending INT).

Manning would not have even got out of the first round if his defense hadn't flipped the script and clamped down on the run. Favre has shown he can manage games but to manage games your defense has to keep them managable too. Always giving up 2+ TD in the first half always put all the pressure on the O to score. Thats why Im excited about this year. The O is still developing but the D may be good enough to balance it out.

Bretsky
08-15-2007, 08:31 AM
This is the crux of the problem, I understand the philosophy of playing it safe, controlling the ball, and moving the chains, but I'm not sure they have the ability to do that. If the defense crowds the box, stuffs the run, breaks up the screens and short passes, you have to throw deep. I guess MM is just trying to get Brett to avoid throwing interceptions, but if the running game doesn't click he's going to have to throw. The problem last year was scoring in the red zone, why not go to 4 WR's? Field goals aren't going to win a lot of games. I think they're deeper at WR than RB, I'll believe they can pound the rock when I see it.

Maybe M3 is just trying to set the standard high for Favre. He might figure he needs to set it high so that Favre and him can met halfways. I highly doubt he doesnt want Favre to be Favre. There was one game last season where the Pack was behind and Favre said M3 told him to do what he does. So I think M3 just wants his QB to know that there is a limit to the freelancing.

I think this is a lot more accurate than MM actually wanting Favre to take away his gambling mentality and all the chances. Favre doesn't have NE or Indy like mentality around him. He'll have to take some gambles when we are behind to move the chains and MM knows that. But MM is smart in sending this message.

He just wants him to be smarter and limit the mistakes.

I doubt if we win games like the Baltimore Ravens several years back; this isnt' a defense that will consistently give up only 10 points a game. Our special teams is not yet dominant. We're not where they were when they won the Super Bowl; I don't think we can say we have the best defense in our division yet.

Regular season.......please....get here

Packnut
08-15-2007, 09:25 AM
Favre did the "conservative" approach against Pitt. It got us 3 and out. I think we should all get used to seeing a lot of that........

HarveyWallbangers
08-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Favre did the "conservative" approach against Pitt. It got us 3 and out. I think we should all get used to seeing a lot of that........

No, he did the go back and throw it to my first option because it's not worth getting hit in the first preseason game.

Packnut
08-15-2007, 09:31 AM

No, he did the go back and throw it to my first option because it's not worth getting hit in the first preseason game.

Knowing you don't have a RB who can pick up a blitz does'nt help much either.

PackerTimer
08-15-2007, 09:40 AM
"We're going to have a good field-goal kicker"

:wow: So what M3 is saying, is that they want to turn Favre into a Dilfer style QB, and not to worry about our past red zone problems, cause we have a good kicker. That instills so much confidence.

When Favre does finally decide to retire, I am going to be waiting for him to come out with a book, describing exactly what he thought of his final years in GB with M3 and Ted the Drafter. I bet its going to be good!

I don't think this is what he is saying at all. He is merely stating that taking a field goal is better than throwing an interception and getting nothing out of it. I don't MM is approaching the season with the idea that he will settle for field goals every time they get into the red zone. He does, however, want to ensure that they score points rather than come away empty handed.

Merlin
08-15-2007, 12:43 PM
This is kind of a double edged sword for M3 & 3T. They are building a team around the philosophy of a tough defense and error free offense. That combination works and works well. A few of those teams make the playoffs every year and normally they don't go very far.

We all know that Favre's mentality is to go out and win the game. He is going to do what it takes to win the game. He has had a few stinkers in his career where his decision making has cost us a game. There are many more examples though of him turning the ball over when we are losing, usually by more then one score. That's where this offense is designed to fail. Once your defense gets exposed, a game management style offense most times can't recover.

So M3 & 3T are asking Favre to manage the game, but then again when their strategy doesn't work, will they ask him to save the day? Can they with all of the all-pro talent they have surrounded him with? It will be interesting to see.

LL2
08-15-2007, 04:28 PM
A few of those teams make the playoffs every year and normally they don't go very far.

That's the thing...good enough to make the playoffs but be 1 and done. Is that the philosophy of M3 and TT? If we go 10-6 and make the playoffs is TT going to be more agressive next offseason and bring in talent that can help GB play at a higher level? Only time will tell.....

Merlin
08-16-2007, 09:44 AM
I know that a good defense is key to winning. That isn't in dispute. But I don't know too many GM's who ignored their offense for 3 years just to build a defense up. If it takes another 3 years to build the offense up we will have to start rebuilding the defense because of our aging secondary and FA's.