PDA

View Full Version : Atari Bigby

Joemailman
08-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Bigby on Manuel's starting heels

By Tom Pelissero
tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

It was only three plays in a training camp practice, but the implication was undeniable:

Strong safety Marquand Manuel's starting job is in peril, and second-year pro Atari Bigby poses the most imminent threat.

Coaches rotated several safety pairings with members of the starting defense the first 16 days of camp. But no one except Manuel lined up opposite Nick Collins until Monday afternoon, when Bigby made a surprise appearance during a team period.

Though Manuel replaced Bigby for the starters' last snap, coach Mike McCarthy said nothing after practice to dispel the notion it's an open competition.

"We're trying to give Atari an opportunity to step up, and it's something we'll continue to do as we move forward," McCarthy said.

No player's potential demotion has been more widely speculated than Manuel's, especially after the Packers used a third-round draft pick on safety Aaron Rouse in April. Signed to a five-year, $10 million contract before last season, Manuel was undependable and played a significant part in the Packers' defensive struggles the season's first three months.

Still, the timing of Bigby's opportunity is curious, considering his proximity to the Pittsburgh Steelers' two longest offensive plays in the Packers' 13-9 exhibition win Saturday.

Late in the first quarter, miscommunication between linebackers and the secondary after an overridden blitz call freed up unheralded receiver Walter Young, who bounced off Bigby on his way to a 41-yard touchdown.

On the Steelers' next offensive play, Santonio Holmes caught a 49-yard pass as Bigby and safety partner Marviel Underwood gave chase.

In the locker room Monday, Bigby was asked so many questions about those plays, two cornerbacks, Will Blackmon and Al Harris, interrupted reporters to support their teammate. Blackmon was supposed to cover Holmes on the latter play.

"I think the secondary played good overall (Saturday)," Bigby said, declining to provide specifics about the big plays. "You can assess it … how you want to assess it. It depends on how you look at it."

Bigby also let Kevan Barlow get past him on a 17-yard run Saturday.

How Bigby fares if and when he takes the field with Collins in a game, though, should have far more profound effect on his chances to unseat Manuel.

"He's very athletic," cornerback Jarrett Bush said of Bigby, who played in six games for the Packers over the past two seasons. "Look at him — you see how big he is. He's (211 pounds), he hits like a beast, and he can run like the wind. He's just got to keep learning the defense and keep showing his abilities to the coaches and try to keep improving himself every day."

Bigby also must show he can complement Collins, a second-round draft pick in 2005 who McCarthy on Monday called "an up-and-coming, Pro Bowl-caliber player." Collins improved his tackles (96 to 102) and interceptions (one to three) in his second season, but he struggled somewhat working in tandem with Manuel, who took over the strong safety spot held the previous two years by Mark Roman.

Manuel, 28, wasn't in the locker room when it was open to reporters Monday.

Bigby, who turns 26 next month, said he likes the Packers' defensive system, because it allows him to play in space more often than he did during his standout career at Central Florida. He's been a valuable special-teams contributor when healthy — he broke a hand in the Family Night scrimmage last year, spent much of the season on the practice squad and then missed two December games with a hamstring injury — but he's played only six defensive snaps in the NFL.

That inexperience may be at least partly to blame for Bigby's failure to stop those big plays Saturday night.

"I think Atari Bigby is a very talented safety," McCarthy said. "I think his range is as good as anyone we have in that younger group. He needs to clean up some things. He's young. He needs to play and needs opportunities. He's a very talented young man."

Playing with Manuel and Collins in a three-safety set during a 2-minute drill Monday — shortly after he replaced Manuel, who spent the period with fourth-stringer Alvin Nnabuife — Bigby flashed his athleticism with a leaping interception of a Favre throw to Greg Jennings. Bigby also was in the huddle before the starters' last play, but secondary coach Kurt Schottenheimer called him off at the last second and Manuel jogged on.

That's how it may go in the coming days as Manuel and Bigby split time. McCarthy said the depth chart and practice time will be addressed on a daily basis, noting he wants to "need to keep creating competitive situations for them to take advantage of." There is a chance Underwood or Rouse could push for an expanded role as well.

"We missed a couple tackles (Saturday), and I'm sure there's a few plays there that some of those fellas would like to have back," General Manager Ted Thompson said, speaking generally about the Packers safeties. "But again, it's a position where we have a lot of competition, and people are going at it pretty good."

Known among teammates as an outspoken player, Bigby also is going at it quietly — at least until he's more than three snaps into his spell as a prospective starter.

"I'm just trying to play football the way it was meant to be played and be consistent at that," Bigby said.

Obviously, the coaches haven't given up on him despite Saturday Night. But he'll really have to show something in the next 2 pre-season games to get the starting job.

Bretsky
08-14-2007, 10:39 PM
this position might be a nightmare this year again. I'm not into Atari's game yet

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm not buying into Atari yet either. He really needs to go out and put three good games together. Rouse sounds like it will take him a year--like most rookies. Underwood isn't healthy. I think Culver is backup material. We'll see how this goes. If we can just get serviceable play out that spot (e.g. no coverage breakdowns--like last year), we'll be in very good shape on defense. I still can't understand why Manuel was so poor. I watched him pretty closely the year before in Seattle, and he was solid. His injury in the Super Bowl was crucial to Seattle's hopes.

Rastak
08-14-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm not buying into Atari yet either. He really needs to go out and put three good games together. Rouse sounds like it will take him a year--like most rookies. Underwood isn't healthy. I think Culver is backup material. We'll see how this goes. If we can just get serviceable play out that spot (e.g. no coverage breakdowns--like last year), we'll be in very good shape on defense. I still can't understand why Manuel was so poor. I watched him pretty closely the year before in Seattle, and he was solid. His injury in the Super Bowl was crucial to Seattle's hopes.

He has the coolest name in the NFL though.

SkinBasket
08-15-2007, 07:52 AM

I agree that Culver should only be backup material, but I'm also starting to think he might be the best option we've got this year. At least you know what you're getting with him. He might not be great, or even terribly good, but he is steady and dependable compared to these other yahoos, which would make his weaknesses easier to hide with schemes. Of course, if we're still trying to hide Poppinga's glaring weaknesses, there might not be too much more room to hide another full grown man out there and I'm not sure how much success we can have with nine players and two trees playing defense.

wist43
08-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Manuel is very limited, but at this point I think he would be more assignment sure and somewhat safer to have on the field than would be Bigby.

That said, everybody knows Manuel has limitations, both in terms of his speed/athleticism and his spacial skills, i.e. angles/ball skills. So, he has virtually no upside.

Bigby on the other hand, definitely passes the eyeball test. If he is named the starter, however, you can fully expect there to be some severe growing pains similar to what we had to endure last year.

He's bound to take some bad angles and misplay some balls/receivers. Beyond that, I have absolutely no faith that Schottenheimer is smart enough to devise ways to protect him in coverage as he makes the transition.

I like Bigby's upside, and I love that he has a tough mentality; but, he's got to learn to wrap up. There are times a safety can go for a kill shot, but first and foremost he has to learn to take proper angles and wrap up.

The Leaper
08-15-2007, 08:29 AM
I think Bigby has a future...I'm not sure if that future is now.

Fritz
08-15-2007, 08:32 AM
I'm wondering if the coaches will keep Unerwood to let him recover fully this year, or if they'll just whack him. I like the guy - I hope they keep him.

Bigby - I'm lukewarm.

MadtownPacker
08-15-2007, 08:34 AM

I agree that Culver should only be backup material, but I'm also starting to think he might be the best option we've got this year. At least you know what you're getting with him. He might not be great, or even terribly good, but he is steady and dependable compared to these other yahoos, which would make his weaknesses easier to hide with schemes. Of course, if we're still trying to hide Poppinga's glaring weaknesses, there might not be too much more room to hide another full grown man out there and I'm not sure how much success we can have with nine players and two trees playing defense.Culver is more them able to keep pace. Him and Collins would be the brains and the braun out there. Culver is tough but he is not a reckless maniac like Collins. He is very, very smart and I honestly think he would be the perfect compliment to Collins.

http://gobulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/culver_tyrone00.html

Fresno State: Emerged as the starter last year at free safety and will hold down that position again in 2005 ... a smart player who knows where to be on the field at all times ... has been a key contributor in years past and should be in the seasons to come ... should rank near the top of the team in tackles ... has annually been a contender for academic awards. (2004) Played in and started all 12 games ... made 65 tackles, the second-best number on the team ... made two tackles for loss, a sack, an interception and a team-high five pass breakups ... his lone interception came against Rice, which he returned 37 yards ... had a strong statistical game against Boise State, recording a season-high 10 tackles ... posted nine tackles in the regular season finale at San Jose State ... an Academic All-WAC honoree. (2003) Played in all 14 games, starting one ... registered 44 tackles, good for sixth on the team ... had two tackles for loss, one sack and a fumble recovery ... his best game was at Oklahoma, against which he had seven tackles ... picked up six tackles in the regular season finale against UTEP ... his only sack was against SMU ... an Academic All-WAC honoree. (2002) Played in 12 games ... made 24 tackles ... had two interceptions, which he returned for a combined 31 yards ... posted one pass breakup ... a Fresno State Scholar-Athlete and an honoree at the Kiwanis Torch of Excellence ... an Arthur Ashe Sports Scholar Award winner. (2001) Redshirted ... honored at the Kiwanis Torch of Excellence dinner for academic excellence.

Bretsky
08-15-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm wondering if the coaches will keep Unerwood to let him recover fully this year, or if they'll just whack him. I like the guy - I hope they keep him.

Bigby - I'm lukewarm.

All of the smokescreen talk of Underwood being way ahead of things after his surgery is invisible now; I had a torn ACL and was not near full recovery at this point. The smart thing to do IMO if he is not there is put him on IR. If he rehabiliates it the way he should, he'll be 95-100 percent a year from now. Sad part is, if it's less than 100%, as some are, he won't make it back to where he was in the NFL.

Fritz
08-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Maybe they could put him on the PUP list and he could sit out the first six games. By then, surely Manuel or Culver or Bigby will have earned our wrath and would be dispensable. It'd make us feel good, too, to see a scapegoat cut.

I know I felt good when Ahmad Carroll got whacked last year after that bad game.

Noodle
08-15-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm with Wist on this one. I say let's give Bigby a chance and quit cryin' like a bunch of school girls every time he misses a play. Rightly or wrongly, TT is going to build through the draft, not FA, so we're going to have to learn a little patience with these guys.

People who are willing to write off Bigby because of a poor pre-season game are out to lunch. Just as you don't annoint a guy because of one good game, so too you shouldn't shoot a guy because of one bad one.

I hope we see lots of Bigby all the rest of preseason -- let's see what we've really got. Let the kid get some mojo going, or send his hinder packing if he turns out to be a true dud.

My money says he's going to be a good 'un.

SkinBasket
08-15-2007, 11:06 AM
I hope we see lots of Bigby all the rest of preseason -- let's see what we've really got. Let the kid get some mojo going, or send his hinder packing if he turns out to be a true dud.

Problem is, we've got a whole litany of guys at safety who look just as shitty as he does, so why not try them out more? Given his piss poor performance, I think he got more than a fair shake at the position last week. And if we give him all this playing time and he still blows, we won't have any idea of who of the remaining short straws blows the least and therefor should assume the captain's chair of ineptitude.

mraynrand
08-15-2007, 12:29 PM
AHHHHHHGGGGGG! They're getting through the secondary! HELLLLLLLP!!!!

http://www.timwu.org/log/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/missile_command1.jpg

Merlin
08-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Although I thought Bigby gave up a few plays, I thought his overall play was pretty good. Knowing that at least one of the plays wasn't his fault helps a lot in my opinion. I think he attacked well and played with everything he had. AS far as tackling goes, most DB's do what he did and not wrap up. That's a coaching issue. He does pack a wallop when he isn't air born. Unfortunately we have the worst DB coach in the NFL so I don't expect a lot to change with any player who doesn't already have the skills in our backfield.

mraynrand
08-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Bigby, who turns 26 next month, said he likes the Packers' defensive system, because it allows him to play in space

http://www.oldsoftware.com/softimg7/atari2.jpg[/b]

Carolina_Packer
08-15-2007, 03:52 PM
TT is going to build through the draft, not FA

TT does build through Free Agency, just not well-known free agents.

Noodle
08-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Carolina, Please. Frank Walker does not constitute building through FA. It's not just that he's not a well-known name; as someone else said, he's not even a name.

Granted, Woodson and Pickett were very good signings. But it appears the Dear Leader exhausted himself with that effort last year.

Skin, I take your point. But my view is that Bigby did, on the whole, play pretty well, and the coaches liked him enough from practice to give him a go. Let the feller have another shot or two. I'm sure you're world-famous skin skills weren't manifest the first time you went deep.

Joemailman
08-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Anybody going to either practice tomorrow? We need a report on the safety battle.

CaliforniaCheez
08-15-2007, 06:52 PM
The torching of Bigby in Pittsburgh can either be a teaching tool. You know learning the hard way.

Was it all that different than Manuel getting burned?? Yes.

Bigby is continuing to improve and the coaches are hopeful.
Manuel has been a career back up in the league and may be cut from his 3rd team. Manuel is never going to be any better than he is now.

Pass the Kool Aid.

Joemailman
08-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Quote:

"We're trying to give Atari an opportunity to step up, and it's something we'll continue to do as we move forward," McCarthy said.

It sounds to me that the coaching staff wants Bigby to win the job.

mraynrand
08-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Quote:

It sounds to me that the coaching staff wants Bigby to win the job.

Putting him on the spot to see how he'll handle the pressure. I see it as a sign they need a guy to take over the position and be an improvement over where they were. Perhaps right now the only guy they really see able to take this role is Bigby.

I think you'll see the same approach across the roster - everywhere the Packers have a weak spot, they will really force feed their top guy in hopes of getting him ready for the season. It's pretty early, but that's my guess.

SkinBasket
08-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Skin, I take your point. But my view is that Bigby did, on the whole, play pretty well, and the coaches liked him enough from practice to give him a go. Let the feller have another shot or two. I'm sure you're world-famous skin skills weren't manifest the first time you went deep.

I guess the thing that worries me the most is that supposed "tackle" he threw out against that rookie WR on the TD. He seriously looked like a boy trying to take down a man. Forget the fundamentals of wrapping up and so forth. He simply looked like he was in the wrong league - against an unproven 4th or 5th WR. We've got so many guys vying for that position, it just seems early to lock into one of them.

Harlan Huckleby
08-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Darren Sharper was famous for taking bad tackling angles the first year or two of his career. He was a real goat with the fans.

Maybe there's hope for Bigby too. Bigby is reported to be a hard hitter with good speed.

It is shocking, though, to hear postitive words from the coach after Bigby looked so horrible. The words have a faint whiff of desperation.