PDA

View Full Version : Gaining Special Attention

Partial
08-14-2007, 11:45 PM
JSO Article by Tom Silverstein (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=647364)

If Green Bay Packers wide receiver Carlyle Holiday continues to play well on special teams and show daily improvement as a wide receiver, he's going to knock someone out of a job.

Robert Ferguson should be worried.

There are only two, maybe three, receiver spots open and the Packers are trying to find the best combination of pass catchers and special-teams performers to fill out the depth chart. Ruvell Martin stands to earn one of the spots based on his consistent play and Holiday, Shaun Bodiford and rookie David Clowney are making a push for one or two others.

If this were three years ago, Ferguson would be a lock for one of those spots because his special-teams play was superior to anyone on the team. But so far this summer, Holiday has been better, especially Saturday night when he had two outstanding coverage tackles against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"I would rank him in the top 10," special teams coach Mike Stock said of the best players on his units. "I think he'll do a heck of a job if he makes this football team. But he has to make it in two capacities; he has to make it as a receiver and on special teams."

Holiday's rise to special-teams demon and capable receiver couldn't be much more of a surprise given he was a quarterback until his senior season at Notre Dame and had almost no experience on special teams until he made the Arizona Cardinals' roster later during the 2005 season.

The 6-foot-2, 217-pound Holiday threw for 2,876 yards and 14 touchdowns in three seasons as an off-and-on starter at Notre Dame, but he caught only three passes as a receiver his senior year and none in the pros before the Packers picked him up on waivers from the Cardinals on Dec. 5. Holiday, 25, was activated immediately and caught nine passes for 126 yards in the Packers' final four games, including an impressive five for 87 in the season finale against Chicago.

Against the Steelers, he played on four different special teams units and made his presence known early. He caught punt returner Cedric Wilson from behind on Wilson's 45-yard return that was shortened because of penalty and then blasted kickoff returner Willie Reid midway through the third quarter.

"He's a player," Stock said. "A lot of people say he's not very fast. Let me say this: I don't know what he times in the 40; I don't care. He chased the guy (Wilson) down and that guy is pretty fast. He runs pretty good on the football field on game day."

Holiday ran the 40-yard dash in 4.55 seconds at the 2005 scouting combine, but that was after preparing for months to run that particular drill. His speed probably isn't that good now, but he said he had never been one to judge himself on track events.

As for his special-teams acumen, even he is surprised at his success.

"I have no clue," Holiday said when asked how he made the transition from quarterback to special-teams demon. "If I make a tackle it may be part luck, but now I'm just trying to learn how to tackle. You just have to be a football player in general. I guess that's it."

His play on those units has caught the eye of coach Mike McCarthy, who during the off-season informed Ferguson that he would have to prove himself again on special teams to earn a roster spot. At this point, Martin, who also plays special teams, and Holiday give the Packers two big receivers they can utilize in the red zone and other places.

"Him and Ruvell just keep doing this," McCarthy said, motioning upward with his hand. " 'Fergie' needs to pick it up."

Holiday still has a lot to prove as a receiver. He was inconsistent early in camp, failing to make plays on a number of deep balls thrown his way, but Saturday he caught a 3-yard fade route for a touchdown, Monday he made two outstanding catches in practice, including one in the middle of the end zone, and Tuesday morning he showed terrific hands pulling in a deep ball with his fingertips in a receiver drill.

"I think I could be a good possession receiver," Holiday said. "I think I'm a guy who can catch balls over the middle because I'm a bigger, stronger type of receiver. But I think I can go deep, too. Anyone can go deep if they use the right technique."

For now, the Packers just want to see Holiday continue to climb upward, a direction he has traveled since the start of camp.

Merlin
08-15-2007, 12:20 PM
RE: Holiday - "I would rank him in the top 10," special teams coach Mike Stock said of the best players on his units.

Very interesting statement because outside of specialty positions like Kicker, Punter and Long snapper, there are what? 15 ST guys? Being in the top ten puts you at the bottom 3rd of players at worst and in the middle at best? That isn't saying very much about either him or our special teams now is it.

Not that I have a problem with Holiday, I will take a chance on him before letting Ferguson play another down. But all this hype over a very mediocre player (currently) is a little over the top.

SD GB fan
08-15-2007, 12:40 PM
i think top 10 out of EVERYONE trying to make the team, not out of the starters on special team. in order to make the team as a backup he is saying that it is important to play special teams well, and he is saying that holiday is better than most of the other players. more or less, if he continues to improve on special teams and WR, he has a good chance to make the team and the team will cut ferguson.

Merlin
08-15-2007, 12:45 PM
On "HIS" units. Not the whole team.

RashanGary
08-15-2007, 12:49 PM
What I think he's saying is that Holliday is one of the starters on his coverage teams and if all things are equal at his position, he should make the team because he is a better ST player than the other guys.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-15-2007, 01:43 PM
On "HIS" units. Not the whole team.

I think that there are more than just 15 players competing to be on the ST. Almost every backup is probably trying to increase their value by being on ST.

Also, it doesn't put him in the bottom third. The bottom third starts at 11. So, at worst he is in the bottom 2/3rds and at best he is in the top 3rd. Can't place him #1 as I think that goes to the kicker, punter, or returner.

4and12to12and4
08-15-2007, 04:38 PM
This isn't the first time I've gone out on a limb for Holiday, but let me just say this, THE GUY CAN STRAIGHT OUT PLAY!!!! He WILL make the team, and Jennings better start looking like the receiver of the beginning of last year, because I see Holiday being Javon's replacement. He's fearless, has great hands, excellent ability to see the ball in the air and time his jumps, and will quickly become a trusted target for Brett. Believe it. He has the "it" factor, and will be a presence in our offense this year. Can you say Probowl? He'll be in the discussions as an alternate, IMO. I really like this guy. He has BIG play potential.

RashanGary
08-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Holy shit 4th and 12 :) That is bold :)

He's good. I like him as a WR and it sounds like they like him on ST's too. He should make the team.

Driver
Jennings
Jones
Martin
Holliday

I'd rather keep 5 WR's and 4 RB's if possible and if Blackmon can return Punts and someone else can return kicks then we won't have to keep Bodiford for returns. I like Bodiford, but with the RB situations I'd rather keep Wynn or Pope around so we have insurance against an injury or two.

RashanGary
08-15-2007, 04:59 PM
wrong spot

CaliforniaCheez
08-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Holy shit 4th and 12 :) That is bold :)

I'd rather keep 5 WR's and 4 RB's if possible and if Blackmon can return Punts and someone else can return kicks then we won't have to keep Bodiford for returns. I like Bodiford, but with the RB situations I'd rather keep Wynn or Pope around so we have insurance against an injury or two.

I disagree. Bodiford adds more to the team(especially kick teams) than a bench guy like Wynn, Pope, or White.

Wynn, Pope, and White are all practice squad eligible.

Brohm
08-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Wynn could even go on the PUP as he was sick/injured coming in right?