PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Camp Report

Partial
08-14-2007, 11:54 PM
JSO Article by Big Bobby Mcginn (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=647445)

THUMBS UP

If the Packers hadn't drafted Justin Harrell in the first round and returned four capable defensive tackles, rookie Daniel Muir would have been attracting a lot more attention.

uir, a free agent from Kent State, received a hefty $15,000 signing bonus after running 40 yards in 4.9 seconds in March and bench-pressing 225 pounds 37 times. In camp, Muir has gotten better and better. Against the run, he's hard to move. Against the pass, he has proved to be more than a typical slug. Whereas Harrell is almost exclusively a bull rusher, Muir flashes quickness, a spin move and a bull rush. In the last two days, Muir has won six of nine turns in the one-on-one drill. Without compromising the integrity of the defense, he has a knack for getting to the edge of blockers and applying pressure. A four-year starter for the Golden Flashes, he was fast enough to play end in '06. One could make the argument that Muir has performed as well if not better than Harrell in the first 2½ weeks of camp. Muir might have had a case of the jitters in Pittsburgh and didn't play as well as he was practicing. But with a better showing in the next few games, it's possible that he could displace one of the veterans and make the team.

THUMBS DOWN

Patrick Dendy, who replaced Ahmad Carroll as nickel back for the final 12 games, has been at left cornerback in the nickel defense since camp began and is scheduled to be there Saturday night against Seattle. The coaches like Dendy because of his conscientious approach, knowledge of the defense and understated approach. But cornerback also is one of the most competitive positions on the roster. Dendy is being challenged by four players, all of whom probably run faster than him, and he's been beat deep more than any of the top seven cornerbacks. The Steelers' Nate Washington appeared to grab a 38-yard bomb behind him but officials later ruled no catch. On Tuesday night, Shaun Bodiford torched Dendy deep, but a waffleball from Ingle Martin enabled Dendy to break it up. Dendy proved to be adequate in the role a year ago, but he could end up without a job come Sept. 2.
INJURY REPORT

TE Donald Lee made it through the morning practice with a stiff back but was unable to finish at night and left for treatment.

G-C Tony Palmer (hamstring) and T Orrin Thompson (knee) sat out both practices.

CB Al Harris left in the morning when his back condition flared up but returned for the night session.
ODDS AND ENDS

Coach Mike McCarthy said he was committed to starting Brett Favre against Seattle and Jacksonville. Favre's performance in those two games will determine how much, if at all, he is used at Tennessee, according to McCarthy. The plan is for Favre to play 25 to 30 snaps against the Seahawks.
Ryan Pickett's wife gave birth to a boy Friday night. Pickett caught a flight to Pittsburgh Saturday morning and didn't arrive at the hotel until 12:30 p.m. It was Pickett's bull rush on the third play of the game that prevented Ben Roethlisberger from stepping up on the first of Cullen Jenkins' two sacks.

Bubba Franks made one of his few catches in the deep middle, adjusting nicely to a throw from Favre for about 25 yards. The Packers charged Franks with a drop in the second quarter Saturday night on a 15-yard pass from Aaron Rodgers. It appeared as if Franks, who suffered a scratched cornea July 31, didn't see the ball until far too late.

McCarthy devoted almost all of the team portion of the night practice to schemes employed by the Seahawks. He was in good spirits after an efficient practice ended at 9 p.m., 16 minutes ahead of schedule.

Dave Rayner and Mason Crosby each was perfect on seven field-goal attempts.
In virtually a fight-free camp, a pair of brief skirmishes broke out at night. DE Jason Hunter pushed G Jason Spitz and C Tyson Walter. Then, DT Johnny Jolly got into it with G Allen Barbre.
SCHEDULE WEDNESDAY

No practice. The last day of camp with two practices will be Thursday (8:45 a.m., 6:30 p.m.).

Fritz
08-15-2007, 08:38 AM
As a fan, it's fun to speculate, so here's my contribution:

If Daniel Muir keeps improving and plays well in the next couple of exhibition games, what might be the chances that TT could trade Corey Williams and get something fairly significant for him - a young TE, or a safety, or a running back, or a high draft pick like maybe a third rounder?

Not that I necessarily want him traded. Just wondering.

wist43
08-15-2007, 09:23 AM
As a fan, it's fun to speculate, so here's my contribution:

If Daniel Muir keeps improving and plays well in the next couple of exhibition games, what might be the chances that TT could trade Corey Williams and get something fairly significant for him - a young TE, or a safety, or a running back, or a high draft pick like maybe a third rounder?

Not that I necessarily want him traded. Just wondering.

They have to extend Williams, but I don't think they see it that way... don't see them trading him though.

At this point, I'm thinking it's 60%-40% Williams walks as a FA next offseason. If that happens, I'll call shenanigans on TT... Waste a 1st round pick on a guy that may, or may not, turn out to be as good as the guy you're letting walk out the back door???

Despite the logjam of talent and investment at DT, I want to keep Williams. The logjam situation is TT's doing... maybe Harrell can play TE??? :roll:

BallHawk
08-15-2007, 09:24 AM
The only way I see Muir making it is if he beats out Jolly or Cole.

Packnut
08-15-2007, 09:30 AM
With all the strength on the D line, drafting the Gator saftey instead of Harrell sure would have been a good move.

HarveyWallbangers
08-15-2007, 09:30 AM
With all the strength on the D line, drafting the Gator saftey instead of Harrell sure would have been a good move.

Depends on who turns out to be the better player.

The Shadow
08-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Cole would seem to be the one on the hot seat.

sepporepi
08-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Cole would seem to be the one on the hot seat.

Trade him to the Colts for Utecht or Fletcher.

Packnut
08-15-2007, 10:14 AM

Depends on who turns out to be the better player.

No it does'nt. It's obviously about team need's. It does'nt make a team better to have a back-log at one postion when you are woefully thin at another. As we are finding out, all the "our young guys will develope" at the saftey position might just not be realistic. The fact that no one has unseated Manuel as of yet is pretty sad. Oops, sorry I forgot your a Manuel fan, the ONLY one of it's kind. :P

Rastak
08-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Vikings have about 6 safeties in camp. I'm sure they are going to cut two, and they all seem to be playing quite well.

Tank Williams might be the odd man out despite having a good camp. I would think they'd make him a final cut though to keep him out of a rivals camp.

HarveyWallbangers
08-15-2007, 10:43 AM
No it does'nt. It's obviously about team need's. It does'nt make a team better to have a back-log at one postion when you are woefully thin at another. As we are finding out, all the "our young guys will develope" at the saftey position might just not be realistic. The fact that no one has unseated Manuel as of yet is pretty sad. Oops, sorry I forgot your a Manuel fan, the ONLY one of it's kind.

Sherman drafted for need. It put is in position to have to rebuild.

Williams is part of the reason we have strength at DT. He's a unrestricted FA next year. With or without Harrell, there's no guarantee that he'll be here next year. We have no idea how good Jolly will be. With Pickett's ballooning weight, this strength could be a weakness next year.

If DT proves to be a strength, Thompson can use that in a trade to strength another position. If we had Nelson, I doubt Manuel or Bigby would fetch much in a trade. If Harrell and Jolly work out, we will be in a position to trade a guy like Corey Williams to strengthen another area.

Sorry, I'll let this play. It was to early to judge a draft pick on draft day. It's too early to judge a draft pick after week 1 of the preseason.

Let's be clear here also: on the draft day thread, you wanted Thompson to take Meachem. I did to. Let's not try to act like you wanted him to take Nelson now. Your second choice was Dwayne Bowe. If Jones ends up doing as well as Meachem (or even Bowe), then that would look even more foolish for both of us.

EDIT: Actually, before the draft it looks like you were leaning towards Bowe over Meachem in a few other threads. During the draft day thread, you made it sound like you'd like either guy, but it sounds like you were on the Bowe bandwagon before draft day. Just want it marked down, so we can fairly analyze in a few years who was right and who was wrong.