PDA

View Full Version : Woodson signs; Robert Thomas cut

Joemailman
05-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Green Bay Signs Cornerback Charles Woodson; Release Four

posted 05/01/2006

Charles Woodson

Unrestricted free agent Charles Woodson, a four-time Pro Bowl performer, signed a multi-year contract with the Green Bay Packers Monday. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, announced the signing.

In addition Monday, the Packers released punter Ryan Flinn, kicker Rhys Lloyd, wide receiver Willie Quinnie and linebacker Robert Thomas.

Woodson, a 6-foot-1, 208-pound cornerback from Michigan, joins the Packers from the Oakland Raiders, where he spent the first eight years of his NFL career. Oakland's first-round selection (fourth overall) in the 1998 draft, the veteran has 17 career interceptions. In 106 NFL contests, 103 starts, Woodson has 456 tackles (383 solo), 51/2 sacks, 14 forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries. In addition, he has two career receptions for 27 yards, and 12 punt returns for 77 yards (6.4 avg.). His résumé includes a pair of AFC Championship games (2000, '02) and Super Bowl XXXVII.

A premier cover corner, Woodson has picked off at least one pass in eight consecutive seasons. Five of his interceptions came in 1998, when he earned the league's Defensive Rookie of the Year honors.

Expected to become the sixth Heisman Trophy winner to play for the Packers, Woodson joins a group highlighted by former No. 1 overall draft choice Paul Hornung (1957-62, 1964-66) and Super Bowl XXXI Most Valuable Player Desmond Howard (1996, '99), another Michigan product. The list also includes a pair of Brett Favre backup quarterbacks, Ty Detmer (1992-95) and Danny Wuerffel - the last Heisman winner to play in Green Bay (2000). Bruce Smith (1945-48) was the Packers' first Heisman player.

One of the most highly decorated athletes in college history, Woodson led Michigan to the 1997 Associated Press national championship after claiming the Jim Thorpe, Maxwell and Bronko Nagurski awards.

I figured Thomas' days were numbered. I wonder if we'll see other veterans cut before mini-camp starts.

gbpackfan
05-01-2006, 05:50 PM
WOW! Thomas was cut! ALREADY! DAMN!

LB CORE WILL BE: HAWK, BARNETT, HODGE, TAYLOR, MANNING AND POPPS.

I thought they would keep Thomas for awhile and put Popps on the PUP list for the first 6 weeks. Maybe his rehab is coming along nicely.

Scott Campbell
05-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Is Ryan Flynn that Canadian punter that averaged 85 yards per kick?

Never mind. Flinn is the bartender guy they signed last year when the Beej got hurt.

packrulz
05-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Time to start cutting. Thomas didn't do much really.

Joemailman
05-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Jon Ryan is the punter from Canada, eh?

Guiness
05-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Yes, Flynn is the Canuck punter. Why the heck did they get rid of him? I'm really disapointed, I was hoping he'd stick.

How could they even have evaluated him? Has he been working out in Green Bay?

MJZiggy
05-01-2006, 06:07 PM
No, no. Ryan Flinn is the bartender; JON Ryan is the CFL punter. We found out what Flinn could do at the end of last season. What Ryan can do remains to be seen, but I can't wait to see what that leg can do when he has to control it more.

packrulz
05-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Well, probably.

Guiness
05-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Cut the bartender, kept the Canuck. Got it. Good :cool:

My next biggest disappointment is that he won't get the opportunity to kick JW in the balls, as was previously suggested being the main reason he was brought in. Those 'peg boys have been known to get nasty.

OS PA
05-01-2006, 06:28 PM
The only reason Robert Thomas was released before camp is that the Packers wanted to give him a chance to latch onto another team, much like Arturo Freeman last year. When we realized he wasn't our starter we cut him and he signed onto another team within a week. I'm glad to see that we cut Thomas instead of Taylor!

MadtownPacker
05-01-2006, 07:56 PM
The only reason Robert Thomas was released before camp is that the Packers wanted to give him a chance to latch onto another team, much like Arturo Freeman last year. When we realized he wasn't our starter we cut him and he signed onto another team within a week. I'm glad to see that we cut Thomas instead of Taylor!

Sounds fair. Thomas was a liabilty in coverage but i felt he played decent enough for a backup. Not much lost since he only cost Chris Johnson right? didnt he get cut by the Rams?

OS PA
05-01-2006, 08:22 PM

Sounds fair. Thomas was a liabilty in coverage but i felt he played decent enough for a backup. Not much lost since he only cost Chris Johnson right? didnt he get cut by the Rams?

Yeah, but only after he returned 38 kicks for 857 yards and 1 touchdown.

Scott Campbell
05-01-2006, 08:40 PM

Chris Johnson did that?

OS PA
05-01-2006, 08:54 PM

Chris Johnson did that?
Link to Chris Johnsons NFL Stats (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/553388)

Scott Campbell
05-01-2006, 09:04 PM
I wonder why they cut him?

GBRulz
05-01-2006, 10:00 PM
The only reason I'm bummed about Thomas being let go is because that was one of my sources for tickets!!! One of my best friends is pretty close to him and he gave her tickets for a few games last year.

KYPack
05-02-2006, 09:22 AM

C Johnson went UFA to the Chiefs from the Rams.

Seems like a lot of Players move back and forth from the Rams and the Chiefs.