PDA

View Full Version : McGinn Chat

HarveyWallbangers
08-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Bob McGinn answers questions about the team in our weekly Packer Insider training camp chat.

Q: Patrick of Minneapolis - Bob, I see a lot to like about this team, defensive line talent and depth......nice battles at safety, kicker and wr....improving play of LB's and overall talent. But at the end of the day, I don't see the talent at runnning back that would allow them to win more than 5-6 games. Is the RB situation as grave as it appears?
A: Bob McGinn - Patrick: It's not real good. But we don't know about Morency. The guy isn't big and he hasn't been durable in the past, but maybe he returns and doesn't get hurt the rest of the year and becomes a competent starter. We just don't know about the guy.

Q: Carl Gerbschmidt of Elk Mound - Bob, great job as always. My question: with the emergence of Jennings/Jones, do you expect Driver's production to decrease?
A: Bob McGinn - Carl: Not as long as Favre is playing QB. They have a certain something. If Favre plays 16 and Driver plays 16, he'll be around 100.

Q: Kimberly of Sheboygan, Wi - Mr. McGinn, My question is lets say that in the upcoming game against Seattle Brett doesn't seem sharp again .Do you think that Aaron Rodgers will then get more playing time?
A: Bob McGinn - Kim: I think Rodgers would see less time in that scenario. They would play Brett more in the third and fourth practice games to get him ready for RS opener.

Q: Digger of Andover - Hi Bob; A 52 yarder off the grass on the road to seal the victory? Not bad for your first NFL kick. Can he do it off the tundra in December? What are Crosby's chances of unseating Rayner? Does Rayner have to falter, or will a tie go to the draft pick? Either way, I feel a lot better about kicker than I did 1 yr ago. Lay your wisdom on me, oh mighty sage.
A: Bob McGinn - Dig: If the cut was today, no way they'd cut Crosby. His potential is vast. He has been automatic. Rayner hasn't been quite as good. Many veterans are pulling for Rayner. It's tough on a rookie in this setting. All the kid has done is make everything. Yes, the FG kicking should be better in 2007.

Q: Tom of Duluth - Bob, what's your favorite part of training camp?
A: Bob McGinn - Tom: The end of 2-a-days. Until 5 years ago, it would be like 28 days or so of 2-a-days. Fortunately, those days are long gone. It got to be a grind for all involved. Even the fans had more than their fill. They do now as well. Crowds have dwindled significantly in the last week.

Q: Jesse of Atlanta - Bob, I read an article recently indicating that Ferguson's would be relegated mostly to special teams play. Yet in the Pittsburgh game I did not see him making any plays. Has that part of his game slipped too or was he not used much?
A: Bob McGinn - Jesse: I'm not sure how often he was on the field in ST in Pitt. He's still very effective on ST for a WR. He has to be. It's essential to him making the team.

Q: Kent Schwemmer of Leavenworth, KS - Do you think possible that Mr. Thompson has been building this team in preparation of Brett retiring. A strong defense, will take a lot of pressure off a young quarterback having to make plays.....Kent
A: Bob McGinn - Kent: Yes, I do. But TT basically is just trying to acquire every good player that he can for whoever is coaching the team and whatever the season it is. Then you take all those good players, coach them up and maybe win a title. I'm not sure he has a grand philosophy. He says that he doesn't. Just hoard a bunch of good players.

Q: Dan of Cedar Park - Hi Bob, According to your piece today coaches have asked Farve to play it safe this year--as they should. Assume he otherwise plays effectively but can't or won't play it safe. Is McCarthy capable of sitting him down?
A: Bob McGinn - Dan: I think McCarthy is capable of making such a move. But to do so Favre would have to play worse than he ever has before and Rodgers would have to be worthy of playing. Those are mighty big ifs.

Q: Kevin of Chippewa Falls - Bob- interesting article about Brett needing to play it safe this year with the way the team is built. The way I see it the biggest question mark for the Pack with this approach (this approach is similar to 2003 when Ahman Green had a career year and we lost to the Eagles in the playoffs) is that they will have to be able to run the football consistently and I am not convinced that they will be able to do that with their "untested running back group". Your thoughts?
A: Bob McGinn - Kevin: That could be kind of the fly in the ointment, if you know what I mean.

Q: Bill Nelson of Washington, DC - Bob, just curious, based solely on camp so far, who is the better QB, Favre or Rogers? Also, can you explain the failure of TT to pay Walker a couple of years ago and now how he is throwing money at Driver, and how the Packers are still reeling from this miscalculation by TT?
A: Bob McGinn - Bill: No way to answer that. Rodgers is totally untested in RS games. Camp is camp. It means next to nothing in the big picture.

Q: John of Indy - Any reason why the Packers had such a hard time w/the Steelers 1st team D if they spent some practice time on it last week? Was it just that Troy P. is that much of an impact player? Thanks.
A: Bob McGinn - John: Just lousy play. Herron blows a blitz pickup on the first 3rd down. Wells snaps the ball prematurely on the fifth play. Favre throws a pass off his back foot way over the head of Jennings on a slant. Just a mess. Looked unprepared, sloppy. But that's for 13 plays. Let's not get carried away. Take it for what it's worth. Nothing.

Q: Paul of Milwaukee - So far which rookie has impressed you the most? Also do you think Justin Harrel is going to be alright? From what you have seen do you think he is out of shape or is he going to be a Jamal Reynolds type...a player who couldnt bring his game to the next level.
A: Bob McGinn - Paul: Yes, he is out of shape. Rusty, too. I would like to see tape of him at Tennessee when he was going good. We haven't seen anything like that yet. But he sure looks outstanding on the hoof.

Q: Lennie Durow of San Diego - Bob: Thanks for taking our questions. It appeared that there was quite a bit of fatigue during the first pre-season game. I was surprised since no one player had to play more than 2 qrts I believe. I was wondering if this had anything to do with the shortened practices or is this a normal rite of pre-season football?
A: Bob McGinn - Len: I didn't see fatigue. I just saw a typical exhibition game. Garbage. Impossible to draw conclusions. A glorified practice.

Q: BZ in Buenos Aires of Buenos Aires, Argentina - Hi Bob. I think that there is some reason for optimism as we get ready for the season: The DL looks VERY deep, and could be a position of strength for the first time since the late 90s. Our LB corps will also be a strength, particularly if BradyPop has figured out how to not get burned in coverage. Even our secondary looks to be OK as long as Harris and Woodson don't get injured - I worry about what we have waiting in the wings.... On the other side of the ball, the OL looks to be young and improving, and will certainly play better than they did last year. While we don't have a bunch of marquee guys at WR, it looks like there is some talent there - particularly if Koren Robinson decides to get his act together. We still have Favre running the show, which is a lot better than anyone else in our division (por lo menos). I guess my two real areas of concern are TE (should we just put in another tackle and forget about throwing them the ball?) and RB - I'm not too impressed by the guys we have at the moment, but maybe the system will help them produce. With all of this going for us, is it really unrealistic to think playoffs? I know that Lovie Smith will be doing everything possible to keep it from happening, and I would have felt a lot better of Marshawn Lynch was wearing the Green and Gold (not to mention Moss...), but still, I don't think we look too bad at this point. Your take?
A: Bob McGinn - BZ: A solid summation. The Packers can make the playoffs. They have a lot of good players. They also have weaknesses. Their depth is decent. McCarthy and Favre must have big years.

Q: John of Sanibel, FL - Bob: Have loved your work over the years. Any thoughts on James Jones versus Greg Jennings, and who your astute observation says will start this year? And what might we expect he'd bring to the passing game that Jennings or any other receiver on the roster doesn't?
A: Bob McGinn - John: Jones brings muscle. Jennings brings finesse. There's room for both. Such different styles. Jennings is savvy and Jones isn't, at least at this time. So Jennings will start. Remember, everything changes in terms of coverage come the RS. These summer defenses are vanilla. It will be even tougher on Jones come September.

Q: christopher webber of Toronto - Thanks for taking this Bob, I enjoy your writing very much. Every once in a while I hear broadcasters say that such and such a team (often the Pittsburgh Steelers)play a very "physical type of football". Doesn't every team in the NFL play a very physical game of football? This seems to be a term used a little too loosely in my opinion. Your thoughts?
A: Bob McGinn - CW: It probably is. Maybe it's because the Steelers wear black at home, as do the Raiders. Physical football means intimidating hits, swagger, run the ball, stuff the run. Trash talk is part of it. Size is part of it. The bigger the badder. Remember, this is all about violence. Cliche or not, being "physical," and all that entails, is crucial toward the winning equation.

Q: Terry Chaney of Royal Oak, Mi - Did Kevin Berry catch on with anyone?
A: Bob McGinn - TC: He signed with Houston 7-28. Mike Sherman now has Mike Flanagan, Atlas Herrion, Ben Steele, Vonta Leach and Samkon Gado in H-town.

Q: Rich of Dayton, Ohio - Bob: Considering that he missed almost an entire year of football, and further acknowledging that he was playing against Pitt's second string, I thought Harrell had some nice moments during his 30-some plays on Saturday. On one series, he was in the middle of a pocket that collapsed and the ball was batted, and he was on the bottom of a pile that stacked 'em up on 3rd and 1. What was your impression, and if he gets back into playing condition, can he be at least an adequate DT this season?
A: Bob McGinn - Rich: I agree. He did look pretty good. Just lacked staying power. Yes, most definitely, he can be an adequate DT this season. He better be, too.

Q: John of Indy - Bob, do you think Blackmon has a shot at the being the regular punt returner during the season? He seemed to show more burst and ability to break tackles on his 2 third quarter returns against the Steelers. Also, has either the lb Johnson from Ole Miss or Bishop from Cal done anything in camp worth mentioning?
A: Bob McGinn - John: Blackmon broke a million tackles on those two returns. He's the frontrunner now over Bodiford ... but that could change Saturday night. One fumble by Blackmon ... one nice return by Bodiford ... and it would go back the other way. ... Rory Johnson missed a week with an abdominal pull and is just getting back. He will play extensively vs. Seattle. Bishop has been good.

Q: Joe Piccolo of Toronto - Hey Bob how are you? Thanks for all your great work. Bob, I know this goes against what most Packer fans think but for the most part I like what Ted Thompson is doing. Like any great team he's building through the draft. He also seems to know what most GMs don't - that in most cases, if a player is worth keeping a team doesn't let him go. Here's the one critical mistake I think he has made though. Last year, when Mat Leinhart was still available I think he should have taken him. He didn't because we already had Aaron Rogers. Aaron Rogers? Anyone who follows football knows that you can never have too many QBs. Look at how easy it was for Atlanta to unload Shaub. And history has shown (Rick Mirer, Akili Smith etc) that teams are always willing to overpay for QB that once showed great potential. Why then Bob, wouldn't a man as smart as Thompson know that enen in the best case scenario having a surplus at the most important position would have put him in a very enviable position? Thank you for taking my question.
A: Bob McGinn - Joe: If he had taken Leinart he wouldn't have Hawk. Leinart looked very good as a rookie and could be big time. Hawk had a solid first season as well. You might be right in the end.

Q: Sal of Moscow, PA - Do you think Favre can be effective if his role is limited to not losing the game? Is the Gunslinger dead?
A: Bob McGinn - Sal: Of course not. If they're down 14 in the fourth quarter vs. Eagles, you'll see No. 4 slinging like all get out. He was 1-3 in late-game comeback situations a year ago. ... Yes, I think Favre can be effective performing any role. He's not over the hill yet. He hasn't had a strong camp. Big deal. He just wants the summer season to end. After the third exhibition game, when the fans are gone and the practice atmosphere turns to Philly, not whatever this is now, his entire demeanor will change. Please, don't get caught up in this stuff. I think there's enough documented evidence on Brett Favre to know what he'll be like when the real stuff begins.

Q: Kevin Wentland of San Antonio, TX - Hey Bob thanks for the chats! All I have to go on are the reports coming out of camp and NFL networks coverage of training camp, family night and the one preseason game. From what I am hearing it is sounding like Rodgers is doing better than Favre in camp. From what I have seen on TV, it looks like Rodgers is doing better than Favre. When comparing the two qbs side by side who has looked better so far? I really liked the way Rodgers was moving around in and out of the pocket against the Steelers. If Rodgers does show more ability than Favre at any point in the season, do you think MM and TT would possibly switch starters? Also, do you know why Ferguson changed numbers?
A: Bob McGinn - Kevin: To compare Favre and Rodgers is patently ridiculous, it really is. Unsure about Ferguson move from 89 to 87.

Q: Josh of Milwaukee - Bob, the defence seems to be the strongest part of our football team. Can you really have a great defence with the safety position being such a question?
A: Bob McGinn - Josh: Remember, every team has a weak starter. Every week during RS I have to come up with a player on the next foe to fit "weakest link." Some teams have 6-7 candidates. Other teams have maybe 1. Invariably, the finest teams have maybe one. If you were figuring out GB at the present along those lines, how many "weakest link" candidates would you have?

Q: Alex Scribner of Vancouver, WA - Hi Bob, Considering the weak state of the Packer offense, and the appearance that the D-line may be even deeper than many thought (your example of Daniel Muir's play), how likely do you think a trade for a TE or RB is later in camp? In my opinion the Harrell draft choice appears even more questionable now. I understand Thompson's top wishes of Lynch and Peterson were gone, but every drop by the Packer TEs and I think Greg Olsen would have been the better pick. Could Corey Williams bring the Packers good value in return, or did GB blow its chance to get a top tier player by ignoring it in the draft and free agency?
A: Bob McGinn - Alex: Williams has some value. TT is going to see what he has first. Patience is his game. It will take two to tango. It could happen.

Q: Bob Hurd of Warrensburg, MO. - With all the salary cap space available, and with the dearth of talent at the TE position, was there a reason why TT didn't try to keep Martin?
A: Bob McGinn - Bob: My guess is they didn't like Martin's injury history. Money shouldn't have been a factor. They just didn't think enough of the guy.

Q: Rich of Dayton, Ohio - Bob: Thanks for the chat. I think going into the season, the offense will be a work in process. With the exception of Favre, the two tackles and Driver, most of the starters have only 1-2 years experience, and there is the potential for two rookies getting ample playing time at the skill positions. That said, I think the defense can be very good. My question is, can the defense keep us in enough close games for Favre to work his magic (and get GB into the playoffs)?
A: Bob McGinn - Rich: Against some teams, yes. Against the top teams, maybe not. At least not unless the offense can control the ball for perhaps 30 minutes and give the defense breathing time.

Q: Rick of Hobart - Bob, First let me congratulate you on your well deserved accolade from SI's Football Guru Peter King. I have traveled enough to see the work of some of America's most acclaimed sports writers and you don't take a back seat to anyone. My question is in regards to Justin Harrel. At this point he has not shown much. That may be due to a lack of conditioning coming back from injury. From what you have seen, is he anymore than pedestrian, or does he have skills to work with that can be developed with better wind and coaching?
A: Bob McGinn - Rick: He has a lot of skills to work with. Look at his physique. Awesome. The DL coaches in GB are top-notch. That's certainly in his favor. He needs to understand what it takes to be a pro. He needs to understand the tempo of the game. He needs to understand how to push himself. He could be a major force in 2007. He is getting better.

Q: Mike H of Birmingham, AL - There have been several reports/blogs of Favre playing poorly in practice sessions (incompletions, interceptions, etc.). Is Favre slipping before our eyes or is this meaningless, training camp fodder?
A: Bob McGinn - Mike: Fodder is an appropriate word.

Q: Don Priebe of Forest Lake, Pennsylvania - Should I cancel my DirecTv NFL Ticket subscription? Born and raised in Wisconsin some fifty odd years ago, I've always maintained my allegiance to the "Pack". Since 1978 and several relocations later it's been tough to not "adopt" the new home team...i.e. LA Raiders; LA Rams; Tampa Bay Bucs, Stl. Rams (G*d forbid the Vikes) and now the Eagles? Needless to say GB is still my "home team" but it's going to be tough to watch Favre end his career on the downside. The Packers are an average - if not mediocre team at best - so I'm inclined to speculate that Brett has no chance to go out a "winner". Living now in Northeastern PA, is it possible to be a Bills fan (a tad bit Midwest flavor)? NOT.....I once saw a poster, somewhere in New York, quoting Jim Kelly as saying "failure is not an option"! Oh well I guess I'll just pay the dues and hope Brett goes out the winner that he is...Bart Starr - are you still here?
A: Bob McGinn - Don: At least you get to see him play. Don't feel sorry for Brett. He's a big boy and knew exactly what he was getting into. He apparently must love the life. And this team might surprise people.

Q: John B of Newport Beach - Hi Bob, I never remember a camp where I've read about so many interceptions by the D. Is it possible that that part of the Packers offensive woes are attributable to what may be a very talented young defense? If so, can this help but benefit the offense in the coming season; how much improvement would we really be seeing if the #1 Offense was racking up big stats against a bunch of defenders destined to be released in the comming weeks? Also, has anyone heard, even so much as a rumor, that GB might have any interest in SD's Turner? It sure does look like a quality back who could also pick up a blitz from time to time might really help the GBP offence? thanks for considering my questions, please don't be too caustic; I'm very sensitive.
A: Bob McGinn - JB: Actually, INTs totals are down compared to many summers. The offense has pretty good care of the ball and the defense hasn't taken it away enough. AJ Smith is making a run for the SB that eluded him a year ago and Turner is a big part of that. He would want a D1. TT has never traded a D1.

Q: gene of chicago - Thanks for working overtime on all the coverage, as we know you and Tom are in effect replacing Cliff at this point. My question: John Clayton stated on ESPN radio that he thinks Favre will return in 08 only if he is convinced that GB is a real contender. I know this is one of the great unanswerable questions, but how would you assess Favre's willingness to come back as of this moment?
A: Bob McGinn - Geno: He's healthy. He's in shape. His arm is fine. The coaches like him. The GM likes him. He still thinks he's playing effectively. If all that stuff stays as is in January, I would think he'll be back in 2008. But a lot can happen between now and then.

Q: Mike of Elm Grove - Bob- What are your thoughts on the Bears ability to run the ball with Cedric Benson? Any hope that the Bears will be unable to run the ball and put more pressure on Rex to move the chains/score? I can't believe the Bears D and special teams can be as fantastic as they were last year.
A: Bob McGinn - Mike: The Bears' OL is aging and Benson won't be as good this year as Thomas Jones was last year. But Hester and Olsen, perhaps Bradley, make that offense more potent on paper.

Q: neckbone of shepherd, MI - Sounds like Muir and Bodiford may be a keepers. Can we package up Corey Williams, Robert Ferguson, and a couple draft picks to get Micheal Turner from SD? Sproles looked good for them and Turner will be a FA at the end of the season. We have the cash!!
A: Bob McGinn - Neck: Depends what those picks are? Do you think AJ Smith is nuts? He wants a D1. He doesn't want hand me downs.

RashanGary
08-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the chat HW.

McGinn seems to think this team has a chance. He knows anything can happen, but he said a few times that this team could suprise people in a good way. Bretsky will ignore this and focus on the bad stuff though :) :)

Kidding, B :)

Joemailman
08-15-2007, 05:44 PM
I like the fact that although McGinn is not a Kool-Aid drinking homer, he thinks this team has a chance to be pretty good. A lot of people around here get all worked up about the Packers weaknesses, but he reminds us that all teams have weaknesses.