PDA

View Full Version : Greg Jennings hasn't stood out at all

RashanGary
08-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Is the #2 WR starting to become a concern? Jennings showed a ton of talent and football skill early last year but so far this year he hasn't made any catches of note in practice and he hasn't looked good in the scrimmage or game. Maybe his hip is bothering him?? Our offense really can't afford a sophmore slump out of him. I think I'm going to add "Greg Jennings showing up big" near the top of my Seattle wish list.

It's just strange how little he has done. Last year he was making a ton of catches in camp, as well as the preseason, and this year he has been invisable. Hopefully he snaps out of it on Saturday.

packers04
08-16-2007, 07:10 PM
wisconsin state journal has an article saying how jennings is frustrated

just came out today i think...
mainly the gist of it is, is that jennings hasnt looked like he did last year because they dont have him moving around to each of the 3 WR positions like they did with him last year.

the reasoning: since james jones is a rookie, coaches wanted him to be comfortable learning one WR position for starters. so jennings has had to play the "x" position this far.

when jennings was playing all 3 wr positions and was able to move around, he got more opportunities.

mmmdk
08-16-2007, 07:25 PM
People are expecting too much from Jennings; Jennings is a fine 3rd WR but a mediocre 2nd WR and the latter is mainly due to his continuing nagging injuries.

billy_oliver880
08-16-2007, 07:39 PM
People are expecting too much from Jennings; Jennings is a fine 3rd WR but a mediocre 2nd WR and the latter is mainly due to his continuing nagging injuries.

How can you call him a 3rd receiver...he hit the wall last year. I would give him a chance this year. Its like saying DD is only a 2nd WR.

Partial
08-16-2007, 07:44 PM
He isn't getting the press because his performance isn't surprising. Just like you rarely here when DD, Al or Chuck has a big day. It's become expected.

That does not apply to Lord Favre, though.

gbpackfan
08-16-2007, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't read anything into Jennings' productivity, or lack of, so far. He'll be fine. Let's revisit this conversation in October.

RashanGary
08-16-2007, 08:09 PM
He isn't getting the press because his performance isn't surprising. Just like you rarely here when DD, Al or Chuck has a big day. It's become expected.

Driver had a deep ball in the scrimmage. Driver makes big plays in practice all of the time that I read. We don't glow about it or anything. The writers do let us know when good things happen and Jennings hasn't been involved in many, if any, good things.

RashanGary
08-16-2007, 08:09 PM

mainly the gist of it is, is that jennings hasnt looked like he did last year because they dont have him moving around to each of the 3 WR positions like they did with him last year.

the reasoning: since james jones is a rookie, coaches wanted him to be comfortable learning one WR position for starters. so jennings has had to play the "x" position this far.

when jennings was playing all 3 wr positions and was able to move around, he got more opportunities.

Thanks, I'll go check it out.

Partial
08-16-2007, 08:16 PM
I can't find it, so if you do can you post it?

RashanGary
08-16-2007, 08:25 PM
I saw on packersnews that Jennings made a big play in camp a moment ago. That is good to hear.

On a different WR note, if we keep only 5 WR's we might keep Bodiford and Holliday instead of Ruvell Martin. Martin hasn't been holding lately adn he doesn't bring much to ST's. It's just something taht could be possible. They took away his holding duties so I started to wonder.

gbpackfan
08-16-2007, 08:26 PM

Driver had a deep ball in the scrimmage. Driver makes big plays in practice all of the time that I read. We don't glow about it or anything. The writers do let us know when good things happen and Jennings hasn't been involved in many, if any, good things.

I've been to many practices over the past couple of years and trust me, the writers don't post about 80% of the positive things players do. Jennings is making catches in practice. It is easier for writers to pick out the negatives or the AMAZING plays and not the routine 10-15 yard catches. Jennings is a player, don't worry.

RashanGary
08-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Hopefully you're right gbpackfan. I think he has big play ability if healthy. He made big plays all camp, then all preseason and then in the reg season before he got injured. I think he's our best chance at keeping defenses honest with the deep ball. If he's hobbled, I can see defenses crowding the line and forcing a short field.

mmmdk
08-16-2007, 08:31 PM

How can you call him a 3rd receiver...he hit the wall last year. I would give him a chance this year. Its like saying DD is only a 2nd WR.

...I should've added that without the injuries Jennings would be a fine 2nd WR. As of now; I have no problem with calling Jennings a fine 3rd WR...I guess my, ever so slightly, problem with Jennings is that he hasn't got the potential to be a #1 WR. Still, Jennings is fine but he'd be good/great without the injuries.

...so keep your Jennings jersey on "Bob"!

gbpackfan
08-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Hopefully you're right gbpackfan. I think he has big play ability if healthy. He made big plays all camp, then all preseason and then in the reg season before he got injured. I think he's our best chance at keeping defenses honest with the deep ball. If he's hobbled, I can see defenses crowding the line and forcing a short field.

The Steelers were all over the line of scrimmage against our 1's. They firmly believed that we wouldn't be willing or able to stretch the field. They were right.

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2007, 09:41 PM

The same article said that they would start to move Jennings around (and they did in fact during that day's practice). They wanted to get Jones comfortable at a position before overloading him.

Nick, you tell people not to panic about the team, but then sometimes you panic over individual players. Relax. Let it play out.

Brohm
08-16-2007, 10:18 PM
All the articles that I have seen that mention Jennings, talks about him being his "silky smooth self" on thie field. I think as others have mentioned, it's to be expected of him at this point so th writers don't see any real newsworthy story there. (At least that it what I am hoping :D )

Joemailman
08-16-2007, 10:34 PM

The Steelers were all over the line of scrimmage against our 1's. They firmly believed that we wouldn't be willing or able to stretch the field. They were right.

The Packers were using a lot of 3-4 WR sets. With the Steelers blitzing, Brett didn't have time to throw deep. In a regular season game, MM likely would have gone with a different alignments. Just one more reason why people shouldn't get too worked about what happens in pre-season games. Especially the first one.

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2007, 10:38 PM

Actually, their corners being at the line of scrimmage probably had little to do with whether or not we could stretch the field on them. They were banking on us having to throw quick passes because of their blitz pressure (e.g. not having time to throw down field).

the_idle_threat
08-17-2007, 12:22 AM
I guess my, ever so slightly, problem with Jennings is that he hasn't got the potential to be a #1 WR.

That's what people used to say about Driver. :idea:

Brandon494
08-17-2007, 05:38 AM
How about we wait until the season starts to see what he can do. I still think he is just pacing himself during the preseason to save his engergy for the regular season. hopefully :lol:

The Leaper
08-17-2007, 07:31 AM
I've tried to tell you guys...but no. It is all about how great he dominated last year early in the year against a bunch of lousy secondaries, and that we should simply have EXPECTED his pace to continue.

The REALITY is that in the NFL, defenses adjust. Jennings did not have much film of him for defenses to study, and teams went out of their way early last year to make sure Driver didn't beat them...since he was the ONLY proven commodity in our passing game. Combine that with the lousy secondaries he was facing, and it wasn't a shock that Jennings had some strong early success.

However, he is not a starting caliber WR yet. He hasn't shown consistency over any significant stretch of time in meaningful games. He should have been no more than a #3 WR last year...and probably should have to earn the #2 spot in camp this year rather than more or less be given it.

I hope Jennings succeeds...we need him to. I'm not going to sit here and expect 1000 yards and 8 TDs out of him though. He does not have elite talent...and if Favre wasn't the QB in Green Bay, I would be expecting far less out of Jennings.

The Leaper
08-17-2007, 07:37 AM
He made big plays all camp, then all preseason and then in the reg season before he got injured.

We had NO depth in our secondary last year...some of us probably could've looked OK in camp last year as a WR.

Preseason isn't something to take into serious consideration at any point in time.

Jennings did play well the first 5 games last year...but against several poor secondaries that were going out of their way to make sure Driver didn't put up 200 yards against them.

Pointing to any success Jennings had last year as evidence that he is a consistent and reliable starting WR in the NFL just doesn't cut it for me. He has potential...but he still has a ways to go IMO. I don't expect consistency from him for 16 games in 2007.

run pMc
08-17-2007, 09:29 AM
I'm going to guess that he made a lot more noise last year because (a) he was a rookie, and rookie WRs aren't supposed to show much, (b) he came from a mid-major school, and (c) he was healthy. I think the hip flexor thing might be lingering a bit.

If he's routinely making the 10-15yd plays vs. Harris and Woodson, that's OK by me...they are good CB's. If it gets GB a 'W', I'm cool with Favre leading the O down the field in 10 yd chunks.

I think he's a so-so #2 and a good #3 right now, but he has the ability to be a very good #2 WR. I hope he's healthy and productive this year.

Badgepack
08-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Didn't Jennings catch like 5 of Favre's first 7 passes in the Family Night scrimmage?

rbaloha1
08-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Last season, extremely impressed by Jennings explosive big play ability. Recall BF comparing him to Sterling and Coach Robinson stating Jennings was similar to Marvin Harrison as a rookie.

Injuries caused a drop off. So far, disappointed by his play in the pre season.

If James Jones remains injury free, he may take the #2 wr position from Jennings. James reminds me of a faster Antonio Freeman -- ability to run the wco tree of routes with better hands (AF was a body catcher)

Holliday plays big and as a knack of getting open. Martin is improving and may be a serviceable #4. Lets also not forget Robinson who was developing chemistry with Favre.

As a group, potential to better than Glenn (remember the idiot Sherman trading him for a #7 pick), Javon Walker, Ferguson. Maybe it approaches the super bowl group of wide receivers. TEs, well that is another matter.

The Leaper
08-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Didn't Jennings catch like 5 of Favre's first 7 passes in the Family Night scrimmage?

Yes...but again, that was against our second string DBs. He wasn't doing it against starting caliber talent.

Remember, our first team offense moved downfield like a hot knife through butter in the scrimmage...then was 0-fer in the first preseason game.

The Leaper
08-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Maybe it approaches the super bowl group of wide receivers.

Talent-wise, perhaps...but the experience of the SB WRs was what made a difference. Beebe and Rison provided the experience to take advantage of defenses in a way that none of our guys except Driver possess. That experience can be a crucial edge when you have this many kids on the roster.

Carolina_Packer
08-17-2007, 11:11 AM
All these x factors on the team can be kind of hard to take. Yeah, we hope they all pan out, but what happens if they don't? Seems hollow for TT to say he's trying to win now, but gamble with so much youth. I like to have youth on a team and let them grow together, but you also need an infusion of veteran talent/leadership. Do we have enough? They have that more on the defensive side of the ball for sure. Leaving so much to chance on offense makes me hope that something, anything gels so we are not staring down another 1-4 start and trying to climb back to an 8-8 again. Why should we be in that position again? It's so unnecessary. We've got enough at the QB (he ain't the mid-90's guy, but he ain't washed up either)...we have a decent/growing O-line, we have one sure WR, but then the questions begin...

RB...? Who knows if we can make anyone respect our run game

Other WR's...? Jennings showed some flashes, and Jones is showing something, and perhaps Robinson can come back and be something (I hope he's reinstated on time), but what do we have after that?

TE...? We knew Bubba was a problem, and there were decent, more offensive-minded options available, but we did nothing in big name FA (yes, I know we signed some lesser names).

FB...? Will we get what we need from Brandon Miree or Korey Hall?

That's a lot of question marks. Why would you leave so much to chance? I know that high profile FA's are no guarantee, but you have to make some effort to try, not just to show your fan base you are serious about competing, but showing your players. TT seems to want to find all diamonds in the rough. How realistic is that? Why not try and get some proven talent?

I would have loved to see Travis Henry and Daniel Graham or Randy McMichael in a Packer uni. Now you're talking!

HarveyWallbangers
08-17-2007, 11:35 AM
My prediction: Greg Jennings will be a very good receiver in the NFL. Not Marvin Harrison good (not many people are). Maybe Hines Ward or Darrell Jackson good.

Packnut
08-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Jennings is a perfect example of why you don't just assume a player is going to be great because he shows flashes. The NFL is all about consistency. Jennings has proven nothing and the jury is still out on him. (Something I'VE been saying for quite a while now)

Carolina_Packer
08-17-2007, 11:49 AM
I think the jury is still out on him too, but I think they will come back with a favorable verdict!

woodbuck27
08-17-2007, 03:04 PM

I would think that Greg Jennings is our natural split end or 'X' WR. Given that our flanker ' the 'Y' ' will be DD.

Scott Campbell
08-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Jennings is a perfect example of why you don't just assume a player is going to be great because he shows flashes. The NFL is all about consistency. Jennings has proven nothing and the jury is still out on him. (Something I'VE been saying for quite a while now)

Well, ok I guess. But this is not exactly a revolutionary concept. You could have said the exact same thing about Jerry Rice, Barry Sander, Sterling Sharpe, and every member of the Hall of Fame prior to any of them becoming established - and still have been right.

Brandon494
08-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Its funny how just because Jennings hasnt done anything in the one preseason game some of you guys have already given up on him. :roll:

PackerBlues
08-17-2007, 03:33 PM
My prediction: Greg Jennings will be a very good receiver in the NFL. Not Marvin Harrison good (not many people are). Maybe Hines Ward or Darrell Jackson good.

I'm thinking Robert Brooks kind of good. He does not have the frame to be taking hits over the middle, but I think he could be just as impressive as Brooks was.

Brohm
08-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Jennings is thicker than Driver/Brooks. Should be fine going over the middle.

RashanGary
08-17-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm not freaking out guys. I think he has DD like ability. I just worry that maybe he's hobbled and maybe it will linger. We need Jennings to have a good year. I just want to see signs. I'm not freaking out like many here. I'm just questioning why he's not standing out. If he's healthy, I think he's a 1,000 yard WR.

Scott Campbell
08-17-2007, 05:49 PM
If he's healthy, I think he's a 1,000 yard WR.

I like Jennings. But I don't see the Packers having two 1,000 yard receivers. And I'm betting Driver gets his 1000.

retailguy
08-17-2007, 09:33 PM
I'm not freaking out guys. I think he has DD like ability. I just worry that maybe he's hobbled and maybe it will linger. We need Jennings to have a good year. I just want to see signs. I'm not freaking out like many here. I'm just questioning why he's not standing out. If he's healthy, I think he's a 1,000 yard WR.

Just a small crack in the kool aid fascade then?

RashanGary
08-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Oh yeah, I'm not all positive about everything Packer. If you guys remember last year, I was saying we're a 6-10 team. The year before, after watchign the preseason games and the Bears embarassment I was pretty sure that our team was horrible and I got in heated debates with people who said we'd turn it around like we always do. I said there is no way that 2005 team turns it around.

I may be positive, but that is becuase I think the team is really good. I question things, but the overall picture looks really good so my overall attitude is really good. It's not like I'm mister Koolaid although thats what it might seem this off season.

KYPack
08-17-2007, 11:05 PM

I would think that Greg Jennings is our natural split end or 'X' WR. Given that our flanker ' the 'Y' ' will be DD.

"Z", Buck.

DD is the Z-Man.

The "Y" reciever is the TE.

We don't really have one of them.

HarveyWallbangers
10-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Anybody still worried about Jennings? Anybody still think Jones might replace him as the starter this year?

There's no generation gap with Favre, Jennings
By Rob Demovsky

When Jimmy Robinson broke into the NFL as a receiver with the New York Giants in 1976, his quarterbacks were Norm Snead and Craig Morton.

Snead was 37 years old and Morton 33.

So, Robinson, then a 23-year old rookie, knows how tough it can be for a young receiver to establish chemistry with a veteran quarterback. These days, Robinson coaches receivers for the Green Bay Packers and has seen that exact thing develop. The last two weeks, he's watched one of his young protégés, second-year receiver Greg Jennings, further an unusual bond with quarterback Brett Favre.

A week after Jennings caught Favre's 420th touchdown pass — the one that tied Dan Marino for the NFL's career record — Robinson watched Jennings do it again, catching No. 421 in Sunday's road victory over Minnesota that moved the Packers to 4-0. That from a player who has had almost no practice time with Favre in the last month and who was hobbled most of the second half of last season due to a nagging ankle injury that severely limited his practice availability.

Despite missing the first two regular-season games after he injured a hamstring the Wednesday before the season opener and having only a couple of regular-season practices under his belt, Jennings has played like a guy who's been catching balls from Favre for most of the quarterback's 17-year NFL career.

"I really think that with certain guys, it's probably that way with any quarterback," Robinson said. "He's just so natural at what he does, and so instinctive. He's easy for the quarterback to find, easy to throw the ball to. He doesn't give you deceiving signals. He doesn't fool the quarterback. I just have a sense — and I'm happy it's here, and it's with Brett Favre — but I kind of think wherever Greg was, it might be that way.

"I don't know that it's anything you necessarily cultivate. As a player, you just tried to work more with the quarterback. I became a starter my fourth game as a rookie and those guys, Norm was like a 17-year veteran at the time. You just try to get as much time with them and stay after (practice)."

Over the years, a handful of guys have landed on Favre's list of receivers he trusts implicitly — guys like Sterling Sharpe, Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman and most recently Donald Driver. Jennings, who last year as a rookie caught 45 passes, has seven receptions for 125 yards and two touchdowns the last two weeks.

"Greg's a very instinctive football player," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "He has what you like to refer to as 'it.' He sees the big picture. He understands."

That Jennings' two touchdowns this season have come on slant routes further illustrates the connection between him and Favre. Slant routes are all about timing. Any glitch in the timing throws the whole play off.

"I'm not surprised we have chemistry," Jennings said after Sunday's game at Minnesota. "(The slant) is one of the key routes in the offense. If you can't capitalize on slants, you're not going to be successful. That's a primary route in any offense."

It's not as if any of this comes as a surprise to the Packers. Even though Jennings is on the small side (at 5-foot-11 and 197 pounds), Packers General Manager Ted Thompson used a second-round pick (the 52nd overall selection) in the 2006 draft on the former Western Michigan standout. Thompson and the Packers' scouts liked how precise and smooth Jennings ran routes, how quickly he understood offensive schemes and how easily he caught the ball.

"Some guys are more track-oriented, you know, with narrow vision," McCarthy said. "He sees the big picture. He has a clear understanding of angles and so forth. That part of it. A lot of it is instinct and natural."

That's all part of the reason McCarthy and Robinson aren't panicking over Jennings' missed practice time while he tries to rid himself of the soreness that's in his hamstring. McCarthy plans to hold out Jennings today and most likely Thursday. At most, he'll practice one day this week, and it probably won't be before Friday. Missed practice time normally makes Robinson apprehensive about a player's chances to perform at an optimum level.

"It doesn't really with him," Robinson said. "That's because I think he has a great feel for what we're doing. It's not an issue with him about knowing what to do on this or that. I think he understands what we're doing very, very well. He's a guy that may be a bit of a rarity that cannot practice and still play well."

The Leaper
10-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Without Favre, Jennings still wouldn't be doing much. Favre's talent is making him look great...threading passes and audibling when the defense shows a weakness. Jennings isn't running around the secondary wide open all the time. None of our WRs get great separation...but Favre remains good enough to overcome that. With a lesser QB, our offense would struggle a lot. Someday, Favre will leave...and will will recognize just how great an impact he holds over this offense.

The good thing about Jennings is that he has a good head on his shoulders and learns. If he is in the right place 99% of the time, then Favre will make him look like a world-beater...just as he made non-elite talents like Freeman or Schroeder look good when they were on the same page as Favre. He's a team player...and that is precisely what is needed right now.

HarveyWallbangers
10-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Jennings is a good player. Reminds me of Derrick Mason.

Merlin
10-03-2007, 12:22 PM
I think the emergence of Jones has a lot to do with Jennings not getting his props. Jones became a favorite target of Favre during pre-season. Jennings will get his because teams will cover Jones.

HarveyWallbangers
10-03-2007, 12:24 PM
I think the emergence of Jones has a lot to do with Jennings not getting his props. Jones became a favorite target of Favre during pre-season. Jennings will get his because teams will cover Jones.

Actually, I think the converse is true. Jones will get his because defenses will focus on Driver (the most) and Jennings.

MJZiggy
10-03-2007, 12:27 PM
I think Jennings draws the coverage after DD, if for no other reason than because of #420 and #421, two very highly replayed and publicized catches. Jones has the catches to his credit, but not the pub for them.

cheesner
10-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Without Favre, Jennings still wouldn't be doing much. Favre's talent is making him look great...threading passes and audibling when the defense shows a weakness. Jennings isn't running around the secondary wide open all the time. None of our WRs get great separation...but Favre remains good enough to overcome that. With a lesser QB, our offense would struggle a lot. Someday, Favre will leave...and will will recognize just how great an impact he holds over this offense.

The good thing about Jennings is that he has a good head on his shoulders and learns. If he is in the right place 99% of the time, then Favre will make him look like a world-beater...just as he made non-elite talents like Freeman or Schroeder look good when they were on the same page as Favre. He's a team player...and that is precisely what is needed right now.Jennings is a very smart player. He runs great routes and makes excellent cuts. He reads the defenses very well and makes the proper route adjustments. He catches the ball very well, and he has exceptional YAC capabilities.

How does Favre get credit for that?

rpiotr01
10-03-2007, 03:06 PM
If it was all Favre then Ferguson, Chatman and Taco Wallace would have put up Jennings/ Jones numbers.

And to put it in perspective, Jones, like Jennings last year, is on pace to do more as a rookie than Ferguson ever did in a season.

These guys have talent. They're smart, they run good routes, they catch the ball well and most of all, they're starting to get that chemistry with their QB, so that they know what they're supposed to do when the D is showing certain looks.

gbpackfan
10-03-2007, 03:25 PM
I'd like to point out what I wrote a couple of weeks ago:

"I've been to many practices over the past couple of years and trust me, the writers don't post about 80% of the positive things players do. Jennings is making catches in practice. It is easier for writers to pick out the negatives or the AMAZING plays and not the routine 10-15 yard catches. Jennings is a player, don't worry."

Damn, I'm good! :D

Jerry Tagge
10-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Sometimes it helps to think before you post. But then we all have a little Bears clown in us where we shoot off our mouth before our brain has a chance to catch up.

Actually, Bears clowns don't have brains, so we don't have a little Bears clown in us. I feel better now.

lod01
10-03-2007, 03:41 PM

Actually, I think the converse is true. Jones will get his because defenses will focus on Driver (the most) and Jennings.

Driver, Jennings, Jones and the TE's actually stepping up. That can't all be covered. Add in a few passes to the RB's. Why run at all?

It is great to not see that drive killing loser, Ferguson out there screwing it all up.

b bulldog
10-03-2007, 05:20 PM
I really underestumated GJ's talent level and the impact he'd have on the offense this past summer. Once again, I am glad that I was wrong.

RashanGary
10-03-2007, 05:23 PM
It's good to see him get healthy enough to play. I think he can be even better once his hammy is completley healed.

I was getting a little worried about injuries and Brett ignoring him. Those worries are quickly subsiding. Teams now have two legit threats to worry about on our offense and a 3rd that is very reliable.

4and12to12and4
10-03-2007, 07:22 PM
I can't see how anyone can complain about ANY of the receivers on this team this year. Our passing game and defense has us 4-0. I can hardly remember any dropped balls by any of the wideouts. Bubba has a couple tough ones. But, all the receivers are doing everything asked of them and are the reason we are leading the NFC North. I think some here are forgetting how many drops and bad routes we had last year, most of that is cleared up, which is why we are winning. You do remember Jennings caught 420 and 421, right? Give the guy a break. The backers and safeties are playing all our receivers tight because we can't run, it's amazing their getting ANY seperation.

Partial
10-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Jennings is a stud. Don't count him out being the go-to-guy by the end of the year. This cat looks like he has very good #1 potential and I don't think we'll miss at beat at the flanker when DD hangs up his cleats.