PDA

View Full Version : Tidbits

Partial
08-16-2007, 07:51 PM
Favre drive stalls against No. 1 defense
In the day's first competitive period, quarterback Brett Favre drove the starting offense into the red zone against the No. 1 defense, but the drive stalled with back-to-back incompletions broken up respectively by Nick Collins and Al Harris.

The drive's biggest play was a long pass covering about 35 yards down the left sideline to Greg Jennings. Harris fell down on the play.

Not practicing tonight are offensive linemen Tony Palmer and Travis Leffew, defensive end DeVon Hicks, fullback Brandon Miree, running backs Vernand Morency, DeShawn Wynn and P.J. Pope and receiver Robert Ferguson. Pope, who is recovering from knee surgery, and Ferguson are not in attendance. The reason for Ferguson's absence was not immediately clear.

-- Tom Pelissero/tpelissero@greenbaypressgazette.com

Partial
08-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Crosby maintains edge on Rayner
Rookie kicker Mason Crosby continued to hold the upper hand over incumbent Dave Rayner in field goal-kicking competition.

Crosby made 6 of 8 attempts Thursday night while Rayner made 4 of 8. Both kickers went 1 of 3 from 54 yards.

Crosby's successful kicks came from 28, 30, 38, 43, 47 and 54 yards. His two misses from 54 yards were wide left and low on the first and wide left on the second.

Rayner's successful kicks came from 28, 43, 47 and 54 yards. He missed wide right from 30 and 38 yards and wide left from 54 yards twice.

First-string holder Jon Ryan and backup holder Aaron Rodgers were used an equal number of times for each kicker.

Rodgers held for all of the attempts from 54 yards.

-- Rob Demovsky, rdemovsky@greenbaypressgazette.com

Partial
Is this even a wrap-up?
There were no competitive periods in practice this morning. None. Zippo. Zilch.

So no, there are no passing statistics. Paul Thompson threw three interceptions and Ingle Martin another while running the scout offense, but that means little, because they're not being graded on decision-making.

The best play of the yawn-worthy session was a leaping grab by Donald Driver (another play against a scout team going three-quarters speed at best).

All the usual one-a-day guys sat out, plus the four injured backs and offensive tackle Orrin Thompson (knee).

The good news is this was the last two-a-day morning practice of camp. No more 8 a.m. wakeup calls to watch stretching and walkthroughs. Somehow, I don't think anyone will miss 'em.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

Partial
Starters will go 25-35 plays vs. Seahawks

The Packers' starters on offense and defense will play 25 to 35 snaps in Saturday night's preseason game against the Seattle Seahawks at Lambeau Field, coach Mike McCarthy said after practice this morning.

Some players who have battled injuries, including cornerback Al Harris, could play less.

Still others won't play at all.

Fullback Brandon Miree and rookie running back DeShawn Wynn are expected to sit out again. Wynn has a quadriceps injury and Miree has a shoulder stinger. Neither has practiced in more than two weeks and neither is expected to return before next week, McCarthy said.

Their absence, and that of running backs Vernand Morency and P.J. Pope, will leave the Packers with just a combined five running backs and fullbacks for the second consecutive week. Morency and Pope continue to rehabilitate knee injuries.

Rookie running back Brandon Jackson likely will start against the Seahawks, and McCarthy said the coaching staff would like him to carry the ball at least 15 times. Fellow rookie Korey Hall will start at fullback for the second straight game.

Coaches were scheduled to meet this afternoon to discuss playing time.

UPDATE: McCarthy at one point said 25 to 30 snaps and at another point said 25 to 35.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

Partial
08-16-2007, 07:53 PM
It's a quiet morning at practice
This is the final day for two-a-day training camp practice, and maybe it's just as well, as far as the railbirds are concerned.

The Packers, who were dressed in shorts this morning, engaged primarily in walkthroughs, stretching and light position drills for the first 90 minutes before the offense and defense finally squared off in a competitive team drills.

Once that started, two veterans stood out.

Wide receiver Donald Driver made a leaping catch of a Brett Favre pass over the middle with cornerback Jarrett Bush in coverage.

Cornerback Charles Woodson intercepted a Paul Thompson pass intended for wide receiver Carlton Brewster.

-- Mike Vandermause, mvandermause@greenbaypressgazette.com

Partial
08-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Packers notes: Looking for more from No. 1 offense
JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com
GREEN BAY — Brett Favre & Co. will get 25 to 35 plays Saturday night to improve upon their horrendous offensive performance in last week's preseason opener at Pittsburgh.

In that game, the Green Bay Packers' first-string offense went three-and-out in all four of its possessions as Favre went just 2-for-7 passing for 7 yards. Starting halfback Brandon Jackson managed just 8 yards on three carries behind the No. 1 offensive line.

"We have to execute a hell of a lot better," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said.

McCarthy indicated that Favre and the starters won't play past halftime against the Seattle Seahawks, but need the extra plays to get in sync.

"We want to get out there, get into a rhythm, get our timing better," McCarthy said.

Asked whether that will take closer to 25 or 35 plays, McCarthy said: "You want to score points. I'm not going to make my decision based on statistical production. It's based on individuals getting touches, interaction with newer players as far as experience with Brett at quarterback. Those are all the targets that we'll try to hit."

McCarthy said he'd like to get 15 carries for Jackson, a rookie second-round pick who's getting a chance to win the starting halfback job with Vernand Morency sidelined because of a strained patellar tendon in his right knee. Jackson had 16 carries for 57 yards against Pittsburgh and played well into the third quarter with the backups.

"Hopefully we can establish a running game a little earlier and a little more productive," Philbin said. "We'd like to see him get the ball in his hands again, absolutely."

Help wanted: Returner

The Packers aren't looking for the next Desmond Howard — or even the next Allen Rossum, for that matter — but after years of getting little from their punt and kickoff return games, McCarthy would like to see a spike in production this season.

So far in camp, wide receiver Shaun Bodiford and cornerback Will Blackmon have shown some promise — Blackmon broke multiple tackles during a third-quarter punt return against the Steelers that was wiped out by a penalty — and figure to get the most opportunities Saturday.

"Bodiford has jumped out at us, (and) I like the number of tackles Blackmon broke. We'll continue to get those guys reps and see what the other guys can do," McCarthy said.

General manager Ted Thompson said the Packers "think we have some talent at returns," but believes upgrading the blockers on the return units is equally vital.

Thompson made improving the special teams units an offseason priority after the team ranked last in the league each of the past two years according to the Dallas Morning News' annual evaluation.

Thompson's campaign

Undrafted rookie Paul Thompson, who is surprisingly competing with incumbent Ingle Martin for the No. 3 quarterback job and is slated to play the fourth quarter Saturday, struggled in practice Thursday morning, throwing a pair of interceptions.

But because he was running Seattle's plays for the scout team to help the No. 1 defense prepare for the Seahawks' offense, Philbin said Thompson's struggles weren't cause for alarm.

Still, Saturday night's audition is huge for him.

"He's making strides, (but) he's still raw," Philbin said. "I think any NFL system is a challenge for a rookie quarterback, I don't care where you came from. So, I think there's still some of those things schematically that he's working through, but he's certainly made a lot of progress."

Extra points

Ted Thompson said he's OK with having just five backs — halfbacks Noah Herron, Corey White and Jackson, and fullbacks Korey Hall and Ryan Powdrell — available for Saturday. But "if we were to get another guy dinged, then it would get a little thinner," and the team would have to add someone.

Partial
08-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Hall full of promise
JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com
GREEN BAY — On New Year's Day, Korey Hall was starting at middle linebacker for Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl. By Sept. 9, he could be starting at fullback for the Green Bay Packers.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Thursday that Hall will make his second straight start at fullback Saturday against the Seattle Seahawks because would-be starter Brandon Miree will miss his second straight game with a shoulder stinger suffered during the Aug. 4 intrasquad scrimmage.

And given how pleased the coaches are with Hall, one of three sixth-round picks by the Packers in April, it's possible he'll keep the job even when Miree returns to action.

"We'll see how it plays out," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said. "He's a football guy. He can catch the ball, he's got good toughness. I'm sure there were some days out there when he realizes he's not playing linebacker (and says), 'Oh my gosh, I'm playing fullback.' But I think he's doing pretty good."

Hall was a pretty good linebacker in his day, too. A four-year starter who earned first-team, All-Western Athletic Conference billing his final three seasons, he rang up 394 tackles, 11? sacks and 11 interceptions in 52 career starts.

But at 6 feet tall and 236 pounds, he didn't project to be a linebacker in the NFL, so he worked out there and at fullback during his pro day at Boise State.

Thompson said the Packers weren't the only team intrigued by him as a fullback, because converting linebackers is a growing trend in the NFL since so many schools employ the spread offense, with just one back in the backfield. Thompson said he knew of at least four other teams trying to convert rookies from linebacker to fullback this training camp, including the Houston Texans with Jon Abbate, who was a first-team, All-Atlantic Coast Conference linebacker as a junior last year before coming out early and going undrafted.

"The fullback position, part of it is attitude," said running backs coach Edgar Bennett, who played both halfback and fullback in the NFL. "One advantage, as a former linebacker, is that (Hall) has that tough-guy mentality. And I love that about him. He's hard-nosed. He gives great effort not some of the time, but all of the time."

Hall, who last played offense at Glenns Ferry (Idaho) High School, admits that he catches himself sometimes looking at the wrong side of the ball during film sessions, and there's part of him that wishes he could still play defense.

But while he believes he could have made it in the league at linebacker had he gone to the right team, he is becoming more and more comfortable being a blocker instead of a tackler.

"I think there's teams in the league I could have played linebacker for," Hall said. "I don't know that here was one of them, just because they've got so much depth."

As a fullback and special teams player, though, Hall looks like a keeper. Special teams coordinator Mike Stock said Hall had two excellent blocks on kickoff returns in last Saturday's preseason opener against Pittsburgh, and Hall seems to be getting the hang of playing on offense.

"It was definitely a struggle when I first showed up, but it's definitely starting to come along now," Hall said. "It is kind of hard to believe. The technique and footwork is tough for me, because that was new to me (while) other guys have had their whole career to work on, and I'm trying to cram it into one (training camp)."

Miree, meanwhile, hasn't had any contact since the scrimmage, when he suffered the stinger busting up a wedge on kickoff coverage. Miree, who usurped veteran William Henderson as the starter midway through last season only to lose the starting job to a hyperextended elbow, entered training camp as the odds-on favorite to replace Henderson, who was released during the offseason.

Asked if he was concerned about Hall's emergence, Miree said, "Korey has been doing very well. I think he's progressed a whole lot. He's worked very hard, and I'm very proud of him. As far as me, personally, I have no real concerns or anything of that nature. I still feel confident about my progress from the offseason until now. I'm looking forward to just getting back out there."

Whether Hall keeps the starting spot or not, he's a good bet to make the 53-man roster. Not bad for a guy who isn't quite sure how he became a fullback in the first place.

"I don't know who made the decision," Hall said. "I don't know what (the Packers) saw that they were interested in but they called me and said, 'What do you think about us drafting you with the intention of playing you at fullback?' And I wasn't even a sure draft pick, so I was like, 'Yeah, that's great. I want to go to the NFL, so whatever. If you need somebody to hand out water, whatever. I'm in.'

"I don't want to have that feeling that I could have done something else to make the football team. That's one goal that I've set for myself. That's what motivates me when I go out there."

Partial
08-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Hodge's role diminishing
JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com
GREEN BAY — A year ago, he was the talk of training camp. This year, he's barely been noticed — and might end up unemployed.

When Green Bay Packers second-year linebacker Abdul Hodge arrived at camp last year as a third-round draft pick, he got off to such an impressive start that there was talk about moving middle linebacker Nick Barnett outside to accommodate the rookie wunderkind.

The Barnett-Hodge-A.J. Hawk linebacking corps never happened, though — Brady Poppinga started at sam linebacker and Barnett stayed put at mike — and when Hodge did get his chance to start, Nov. 27 at Seattle after Barnett broke his hand the week before, he didn't play well.

It's been downhill since.

Plagued by patellar tendinitis in both knees, Hodge, who played in eight games last season and was inactive for the other eight because of knee and shoulder problems, missed all the offseason practices and so far in camp hasn't looked anything like the tackling machine he was at Iowa.

When Barnett's back tightened up Tuesday morning, it was rookie sixth-round pick Desmond Bishop who worked with the No. 1 defense in the base and nickel packages, not Hodge, who has been working mostly with the No. 3 defense.

Still, Packers general manager Ted Thompson said Thursday that he thinks Hodge is "still the same guy" who impressed last camp and proclaimed that he still has "a lot of confidence" in him. Hodge, too, said it's too early to write him off.

"Obstacles are going to come your way. You just roll with it," Hodge said. "I'm not really worried, I'm not really panicking about, 'Am I going to make this team?' or whatever the case may be. As long as I stay healthy, as long as I continue to make strides, I'll be all right."

Thursday marked the last of eight days during camp when the Packers practiced twice in the same day, and as he has throughout camp, Hodge sat out the morning workout before participating at night. The limited practice time helped his his knees but hurt him in other ways.

"He just hasn't had the opportunity to make the same impact as he did last year," linebackers coach Winston Moss said. "He obviously made more of an impact last year. This year, he's been more learning the defense, just trying to regain his form. Anybody would be frustrated if they're not at 100 percent and they're working through a process of coming back from an injury. I'm sure there's some level of frustration."

Hodge admitted that there is, but he also said his knees "feel pretty good." He said rust is a bigger issue than discomfort at this point.

"I'm definitely going to get back to where I need to be," he said. "I was out of football for awhile, so my reaction to things, playing the game, is going to be a little slow. But with repetition and being out there every day, it'll come back to me."

Meanwhile, Bishop hasn't been dominant but has shown well on special teams and clearly is a better player than his sixth-round draft status might indicate.

"As I reevaluate it, coming in in the sixth round, it really doesn't matter anymore," said Bishop, a first-team, All-Pacific-10 Conference pick as a senior last year.

"The only thing difference is in money. And that's not really what I'm motivated by, so it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if you're a third-round pick (like Hodge) or a sixth-round pick — we've all got to play, we've all got to compete. I'm out here just like everybody, just trying to stake my claim."

RashanGary
08-16-2007, 08:18 PM
haha, just when I complain about Jennings he gets a big play :) Good, finially. Hopefully we see more of this as the preseason progresses.

Joemailman
08-16-2007, 08:34 PM
I wonder if Hodge might possibly be a candidate for IR. Backup linebackers need to be able to play special teams, and right now a young guy like Bishop can contribute more there.

I'm really interested to see what Hall can do catching the ball out of the backfield. I saw a highlight film of him last spring after he was drafted. He showed great hand on some interceptions.

Partial
08-16-2007, 08:37 PM
I wonder if Hodge might possibly be a candidate for IR. Backup linebackers need to be able to play special teams, and right now a young guy like Bishop can contribute more there.

I'm really interested to see what Hall can do catching the ball out of the backfield. I saw a highlight film of him last spring after he was drafted. He showed great hand on some interceptions.

I would venture a guess Hodge does go on the IR. He is a good candidate when healthy to play MLB or they could potentially ship him off for a late round pick to a 3-4 team.

I, too, am excited about Hall. I think he will be the starting fullback by default.

RashanGary
08-16-2007, 08:39 PM
I think Hall could start too. For him to catch on as quickly as he has says a lot. He should keep getting better.

GBRulz
08-16-2007, 09:41 PM
What the heck do the TE's do in practice? You hardly here anything about them in these reports.

And here is my nomination for the rocket scientist quote of the week:

Ted Thompson said he's OK with having just five backs — halfbacks Noah Herron, Corey White and Jackson, and fullbacks Korey Hall and Ryan Powdrell — available for Saturday. But "if we were to get another guy dinged, then it would get a little thinner,"