PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see Draft gurus changing their opinions

CaliforniaCheez
08-16-2007, 07:59 PM
http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_teamarticle/236/20070504/2007_draft_review_green_bay_packers/

Best pick: Harrell
Worst pick: Jones

This is the second year in a row the Packers have stocked up and rebuilt their depth with a lot of solid yet unspectacular players. The exception, like last year with AJ Hawk, is the top pick, Justin Harrell. Harrell is a disruptive force on the DL and a NFL-ready run stuffer for a defense that needs one. His injury history is scary, but so is his versatility and ability.

Jackson was the shiftiest runner of the 2nd tier RBs, but he can lower the shoulder as well.

Jones is a possession-type WR with outstanding hands but little else

Lurker64
08-16-2007, 08:09 PM
I think it's possible that a lot of draft gurus will change their tune on Jones. From what I've seen, the guy's stepped up and done basically everything that's asked of him. He's never going to be Randy Moss, but there's certainly a place for tough, physical, fearless possession receivers with good hands in this league.

I think for the first few weeks of the season, Harrell might not set the world on fire, but I think in the long run when he gets his conditioning where it needs to be he'll be fine this year, and has the potential to be quite good down the line. How many first year DTs set the league on fire anyway?

PackerTimer
08-16-2007, 08:12 PM

This has to be the dumbest evaluation of a player I have ever seen. I know I always prefer a receiver who can run like the wind but can't catch a cold. I mean catching the ball is highly overrated.

Partial
08-16-2007, 08:17 PM
I think it's possible that a lot of draft gurus will change their tune on Jones. From what I've seen, the guy's stepped up and done basically everything that's asked of him. He's never going to be Randy Moss, but there's certainly a place for tough, physical, fearless possession receivers with good hands in this league.

I think for the first few weeks of the season, Harrell might not set the world on fire, but I think in the long run when he gets his conditioning where it needs to be he'll be fine this year, and has the potential to be quite good down the line. How many first year DTs set the league on fire anyway?

Not to be a ridiculous homer, but I remember a physical guy with bad hands and marginal speed drafted in the third round out of chatenuga that went on to become a future hall of famer. He resides in Dallas these days.

RashanGary
08-16-2007, 08:20 PM
TO has more speed. Jones has better hands though.

SkinBasket
08-16-2007, 08:23 PM
TO has more speed. Jones has better hands though.

Does he have a full notch more speed? Or maybe just half a notch?

gbpackfan
08-16-2007, 08:24 PM
I think if you are looking for a WR that Jones COULD turn out to be like, it woud be Hines Ward. Tough and willing to do what it takes to get open. Also has very good hands. Obviously it is PREMATURE to compare the two but if you put a gun to my head and made me, I'd say he's more like Ward then TO.

the_idle_threat
08-17-2007, 12:17 AM
I think if you are looking for a WR that Jones COULD turn out to be like, it woud be Hines Ward. Tough and willing to do what it takes to get open. Also has very good hands. Obviously it is PREMATURE to compare the two but if you put a gun to my head and made me, I'd say he's more like Ward then TO.

How about Anquan Boldin?

Pass the kool-aid! :alc:

The Leaper
08-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Does he have a full notch more speed? Or maybe just half a notch?

Who cares? Owens is considerably larger than Jones, so ANY extra speed makes him far more dangerous.

The Leaper
08-17-2007, 07:45 AM
Obviously it is PREMATURE to compare the two but if you put a gun to my head and made me, I'd say he's more like Ward then TO.

I would agree. Jones doesn't have anything close to the physical talent of Terrell Owens.

The Leaper
08-17-2007, 07:47 AM
This has to be the dumbest evaluation of a player I have ever seen. I know I always prefer a receiver who can run like the wind but can't catch a cold. I mean catching the ball is highly overrated.

Funny stuff.

Javon Walker was a physical freak who was widely criticized for not having the best hands coming out of FSU. He worked on it, and became just as reliable as a pass catcher as Driver within a few years.

You can LEARN how to catch. You can't learn how to run 4.3 or jump 40" high or be a 6'3"/225 athlete.

Partial
08-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Obviously it is PREMATURE to compare the two but if you put a gun to my head and made me, I'd say he's more like Ward then TO.

I would agree. Jones doesn't have anything close to the physical talent of Terrell Owens.

TO didn't have the physical talent of college TO otherwise he wouldn't have been a 3rd round pick. A late one at that.

run pMc
08-17-2007, 09:20 AM
I always thought it was the LASIK that helped Javon. (I could be wrong)

wist43
08-17-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm really not happy with most of the picks... despite the fact that I think there is some ability there. None of the top picks really solves a problem.

The Harrell pick creates a log jam at DT; so, even if he turns out to be a good player, if Williams walks after this season, TT has essentially traded one good DT for another - net gain of nothing.

If Williams does resign, and Harrell turns out to be a world beater, then I guess the pick ends up working out; but, given that they've broken off talks with Williams, and Harrell is off to a very sluggish start... staying tuned.

Jackson and Morency are too similar... although Jackson does appear to be more physcial and has good hands... if he doesn't prove to be the every down starter though, he's a wasted pick IMO. 2nd round picks are far too valuable not to be starters from scrimmage.

Jones is big and strong, but he's a possession guy... pretty similar to Carlyle Holiday, IMO. He can be a decent #3, but he certainly doesn't address the teams complete lack of explosion at the position.

3 picks; 3 players that may well turn out to be decent players; and, 3 players that may not have done much to improve the team - at least in terms of addressing needs and improving the overall roster.

wist43
08-17-2007, 09:27 AM
In terms of value and upside, Barbre may be the best pick of the '07 draft.

Spaulding
08-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Good points Wist but as we all know, players undergo changes from season to season. For some the lights come on and for others, well their bulb dims and they fade away (thank God this applies to Fergie). Whose to say Jackson doesn't pack another 5-10lbs on and get to 220 and be a better version of Brian Westbrook?

Case in point, Steve Smith out of lowly Utah was drafed in the 3rd round. Defined as too small to be effective (185lbs today after extensive weight training) he's an impact player.

My two cents, all these posts defining players as never ever being more than a 3rd receiver or poor mans 2nd (ala Jones or Jennings) lack substance. Your post here is more insightful in that you suggest that our first three draft choices might have been used for different players/positions with higher impact and that argument I can see and understand.

Anways, in a Woodbuck wordy kind of way (:D) I like your post and deviated/rambled to put the soap box under me and hopefully not again in my mouth.

In hindsight we may end up wishing for Reggie Nelson - S (1st), Brian Leonard - RB (2nd), and Paul Williams - WR (3rd) but I trust in the Packer organization to know a hell of a lot more about drafting than I do.

woodbuck27
08-17-2007, 02:52 PM

It's NCCS and if he's described as a good possession type WR then he's pretty well got all the bases covered.

N = Nimble = good hands and style of securing the ball.

C = Concentration = Run routes well and protect the ball if he can't likely make the catch

C = Courage = Play well under pressure in the tough NFL environment which is elevated in difficulty from College.

S = Strength = to knock a defensive back (ie CB) on his ass at he line or move him out of the way to secure his route lane. To leap and bring in a pass, fight and move downfield for more yards.

the_idle_threat
08-17-2007, 06:40 PM

Funny stuff.

Javon Walker was a physical freak who was widely criticized for not having the best hands coming out of FSU. He worked on it, and became just as reliable as a pass catcher as Driver within a few years.

You can LEARN how to catch. You can't learn how to run 4.3 or jump 40" high or be a 6'3"/225 athlete.

Tell that to Troy Williamson.

Rastak
08-17-2007, 06:43 PM

Funny stuff.

Tell that to Troy Williamson.

Didn't drop a ball in week 1 of the preseason....3 catches, including a nice one in traffic....

Someone already told him I guess.

the_idle_threat
08-17-2007, 07:21 PM
If it keeps up, then good for him. I'll maintain some skepticism until he does it consistently.