PDA

View Full Version : Packers missed out on WR Mike Hass

oregonpackfan
05-01-2006, 05:47 PM
When the Packers let go of Antonio Chatman and Andrae Thurman they said they wanted to go with the "Bigger and stronger" prototype of receivers who had the build of a Terrell Owens.

Immediately, I thought to myself, "Well that shoots down the possiblity of the Packers choosing WR Mike Hass of Oregon State. He is only 6' 1" tall, and 208 lbs."

For his many receiving accomplishments this past year, Hass won the Biletnikoff Award as the best receiver in college football.

Then what do the Packers do instead of drafting Hass and a "Bigger and stronger" WR? They draft 5'11" Greg Jennings out of Western Michegan in the third round and 6'0" Cory Rodgers from TCU in the fourth round! They could have had Hass.

The New Orleans Saints took him in the 6th round.

Despite his fine hands, his record achievements, the Packers ignorned Hass because his best 40 yard recorded speed is 4.55 seconds. Hass did record the fifth fastest time in the 20 yard shuffle--which measures explosiveness off the snap and lateral movement.

A lot of pro teams several years from now(including the Packers) are going to be scratching their heads saying, "Why didn't we take this guy when we had the chance?"

Oregonpackfan

gbpackfan
05-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Oregon, I know he is your boy but Jennings is 3x the prospect Hass is. Rodgers will have to wait and see on. But I am not upset about missing out on Hass. Sorry.

Scott Campbell
05-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Good lick to Hass with the Saints. We'll have to keep track of his career.

Joemailman
05-01-2006, 06:04 PM
I think Tt was also looking for WR's who could also return kicks. Don't know if Hass does that.

oregonpackfan
05-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Oregon, I know he is your boy but Jennings is 3x the prospect Hass is. Rodgers will have to wait and see on. But I am not upset about missing out on Hass. Sorry.

Needless to say, I do not agree, Gbpackfan. Jennings played for Western Michegan--a Divison I-AA school. While he does bring some skills to the pro level, no way can he be considered three times the talent of Hass.

An article in the paper this morning revealed the person who lobbied the Saints very hard to draft Hass is none other than their first draft pick--Reggie Bush. As Bush has played against Oregon State, he was very impressed about Hass' talents.

Oregonpackfan

mraynrand
05-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Can you say Derrick Mayes?

Scott Campbell
05-01-2006, 08:49 PM
[An article in the paper this morning revealed the person who lobbied the Saints very hard to draft Hass is none other than their first draft pick--Reggie Bush. As Bush has played against Oregon State, he was very impressed about Hass' talents.

Oregonpackfan

They both play offense, so Bush's perspective on Hass is no better than any other fan with really good seats.

That said, I hope he has a great career. You've got to root for guys who manage to make the most of their natural talent.