PDA

View Full Version : ROBERT FERGUSON GONE!!!!!!

RashanGary
08-16-2007, 08:50 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

CaliforniaCheez
08-16-2007, 08:52 PM
About time.

Packnut
08-16-2007, 08:52 PM
It's about time. Good riddance and don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out........

falco
08-16-2007, 08:53 PM
obviously another attempt at TT to clean out Sherman's guys :shock:

RashanGary
It's about time. Good riddance and don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out........

Can you believe that Sherman started him over Javon Walker in 2003??

CaliforniaCheez
About time.

Packnut

RashanGary
08-16-2007, 08:58 PM
A 7th rounder would be great. I'm pretty sure it will just be an outright cut though.

falco
08-16-2007, 08:58 PM
A 7th rounder would be great. I'm pretty sure it will just be an outright cut though.

I can't see anybody giving up a pick for Ferguson...he hasn't produced or been healthy in years.

BallHawk
08-16-2007, 09:00 PM
By this time Bretsky is all partied out from celebrating, passed out on the floor in a puddle of his own vomit.

:wink:

RashanGary
08-16-2007, 09:00 PM
He started over Javon Walker in 2003 and 2004 I believe. Mike Sherman thinks so much of him taht we might be able to get a 3rd or 4th rounder :) For some reason I think he will land in Houston. I jsut get a hunch that he wants to go back to his family and his second father "mike sherman"

pittstang5
08-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah....the writing was on the wall. I'm more interested in what the Packers can get for him. The article said the Packers are talking to several teams about a possible trade. Who is going to give anything for Fergie?

Fergie = Fred Ex

gbpackfan
08-16-2007, 09:01 PM
WOW!

And I am not saying WOW because he is getting the boot but rather how it is being done.

1. Why would you admit that you are done with him if you want to make a trade?

2. Did Fergie's attitude go south? Why woud they handle it this way? Strange? Either cut the guy or make the trade and then announce what has occured. To just send him home with out knowing his fate is strange.

3. IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-16-2007, 09:02 PM
We waited, waited, and waited, but he never produced. Can't say this is a surprise.

falco
08-16-2007, 09:03 PM
WOW!

And I am not saying WOW because he is getting the boot but rather how it is being done.

1. Why would you admit that you are done with him if you want to make a trade?

2. Did Fergie's attitude go south? Why woud they handle it this way? Strange? Either cut the guy or make the trade and then announce what has occured. To just send him home with out knowing his fate is strange?

3. IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!

I agree. Its certainly an unorthodox method. However, most people probably knew he was on the ropes anyway. His only trade value is if a suitor thinks there may be competition on the market.

oregonpackfan
08-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Even the TT-Bashers will support TT on dropping Ferguson.

I have nothing personal against Ferguson. He just couldn't stay healthy enough to produce.

Don't forget--the Packers could have drafted Chris Chambers instead of Ferguson. What a wasted opportunity.

RashanGary
08-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Maybe Thompson scheduled the press conference becuase he thought he was getting a 3rd rounder from Houston and he wanted to tell the whole world. I really hope Sherman stays true to his roots and convinces his buddy's in Houston to give up something for Ferg.

Joemailman
08-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Mike Sherman? Yeah, Ted Thompson here. Heard you guys could use a wide receiver. We got too many, and having Fergy here has all our young guys looking over their shoulders. Fergy's in great shape and is due for a breakout year. I can let you have him for a 4th round pick.

A 4th round pick? Boy, I don't know Ted. Will you take a 3rd?

Edit: I hadn't seen Justin's post when i did this. We must be thinking alike. :shock:

RashanGary
08-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Maybe Sherman can assemble the whole 4-12 roster from 2005 in Houston and have a big loser reunion :)

GBRulz
08-16-2007, 09:26 PM
http://www.democraticstuff.com/photos/BT21354-1.jpg

falco
08-16-2007, 09:36 PM
The blog is updated, for those who looked earlier. Last part now reads:

Robert Ferguson's career as a Green Bay Packer is over.

Coach Mike McCarthy said after practice tonight the team is talking with several teams about a possible trade, but even if one is not worked out, Ferguson will not play for the Packers again. A final decision is expected Friday morning.

"We're going to go another direction," McCarthy said. "That's where we are right now. That's all I've got for you."

McCarthy said he met with Ferguson about 5 p.m. to inform him of the decision and tell him not to come for the 6:30 p.m. practice. McCarthy mentioned the improved play of Ruvell Martin and Carlyle Holiday as factors.

"Just like I told him today, I think Robert Ferguson's a talented young man," McCarthy said. "I thought he busted his ass the whole time was here. I think he's a true professional. But we've gone another direction, and that's where we're at right now."

CaliforniaCheez
08-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Now I have to wait until dark for my left over fireworks.

Breaking out the good stuff from the liquor cabinet for a celebration.

I feel almost as good as when Barry was cut!!

"True professional??????"

Busted his butt my ass.

digitaldean
08-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Words can't explain how overdue this is.

:bclap: :bclap: :wave: :wave: :wow: :bump:

Nothing against him personally, because he is a decent guy. But I still have brick fragments in my wall from my venting when Wolf passed up Chambers. :P

falco
08-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Based on McCarthy's comments, it sounds like the five WR's will be Driver/Jennings/Jones/Martin/Holiday.

I think I can live with that.

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2007, 09:46 PM
A part of me is sad. Fergie disappointed, but he played hard (after a non-chalant rookie year), and really had some bad luck with the injuries. It's not like he wasn't tough. Still, it's not surprising, and it needed to be done.

I could see Fergie going to Houston or Minnesota. Seems like that's where all of our players go, and both teams need a 5th WR.

falco
08-16-2007, 09:48 PM
I don't think Ferguson was that bad either. I think he could have been an okay 3rd, and a good 4th or 5th. I think he never lived up to his potential, and thats what made people so upset. I think thats reason enough to let him go and make room for kids with potential.

PackerBlues
08-16-2007, 09:54 PM
I think they figured they may as well announce the cut, because nobody is going to do a trade anyway. Anyone wanting a 4th string WR or a good special teams player will probably just pick him up after he is cut and not worry about giving up a draft pick. Unless somebody feels that he is worth it......which I doubt.

As for Sherman Starting Fergy over Walker, Fergy had a full year in our Offense before Walker was drafted, it kinda made sense.

Bretsky
08-16-2007, 09:55 PM
ALL HAIL TT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:knll: :wave: :bump:

TO THE FRAUD BEING GONE

:glug: :glug: :glug: :glug: :glug: :glug: :glug: :glug: :glug: :glug:

In his early years I :cat: with several posters about what a worthless piece of crap he was and how drafting Ferguson :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: over Chambers :bang: :bang: was one of the most obvious drafting mistakes ever witnessed.

I'd like to declare tomorrow to be a 2007 Holiday

FRAUD FRIDAY :smack: :smack:

I'm feeling a bit warm toward TT for this one upcoming day :hug:

All HAIL THE SNAPPER on 8/17

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

Kiwon
08-16-2007, 09:58 PM
I think Robert Ferguson is a good case study to prove that it takes more than just physical skills to establish yourself as a wide reciever in the NFL. The mental side of the game, running good routes, concentration to catch the ball in traffic, etc.

He did have some unfortunate injuries but he was given ample to prove himself and he couldn't do it.

GrnBay007
08-16-2007, 10:12 PM
I feel bad for him. Everything just bottomed out for the guy after his injury.

But I know it had to be done.

Bretsky
08-16-2007, 10:14 PM
I feel bad for him. Everything just bottomed out for the guy after his injury.

But I know it had to be done.

He disappointed before the injury
He disappointed after the injury

Fraud Friday is only hours away :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

packrat
08-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Unfortunately, Sherman might be getting tired of being the laughing stock for picking up every Packer reject, otherwise he might give us two fours or a three for him. Realistically, if we can land a conditional draft choice, I will be delighted, or maybe one of those "we'll give you our cut for your cut" deals that makes both teams look like they salvaged something.

Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Based on McCarthy's comments, it sounds like the five WR's will be Driver/Jennings/Jones/Martin/Holiday.

And probably Koren Robinson will take one of the roster spots in September.

MTPackerfan
08-16-2007, 11:01 PM
I also think it odd to say you are trying to trade him but will cut him if nothing works out. But as with everyone else, glad to see it finally happen. He was never spectacular but after the head hunt hit he took against Jacksonville that one year he was never the same.

Scott Campbell
08-16-2007, 11:05 PM
I'd put the odds of being able to trade him at about 1000:1. Were not even to the first round of cuts yet. Why in the world would anybody trade for him when they can pick him, or a player equal or better than him for free?

superfan
08-16-2007, 11:16 PM

Would that be a Carlyle Holiday?

:cue the rim shot: :rs:

I also am mildly depressed by this move. Not because I think it is the wrong move. It's time for him to go, and the other WRs appear to be better options. But for years I've wanted him to be a good to very good receiver for this team, and this finalizes that it just ain't gonna happen. Kind of like trying to make a relationship work, the breakup is bittersweet.

Bretsky
08-16-2007, 11:21 PM

Would that be a Carlyle Holiday?

:cue the rim shot: :rs:

I also am mildly depressed by this move. Not because I think it is the wrong move. It's time for him to go, and the other WRs appear to be better options. But for years I've wanted him to be a good to very good receiver for this team, and this finalizes that it just ain't gonna happen. Kind of like trying to make a relationship work, the breakup is bittersweet.

Kind of like having that hottie gal friend on the outside who is a total warped rag the more you get to know her. Due to her hottity, you pray eventually she comes around; but it's am impossible task. You give many many many more chances than reasonable for her to change, but finally you just can't take it anymore and bit the bullet

GrnBay007
08-16-2007, 11:25 PM
LOL Do we need to bring in Dr. Phil??? :P ....or Oprah?

superfan
08-16-2007, 11:26 PM
Kind of like having that hottie gal friend on the outside who is a total warped rag the more you get to know her. Due to her hottity, you pray eventually she comes around; but it's am impossible task. You give many many many more chances than reasonable for her to change, but finally you just can't take it anymore and bit the bullet

Bingo! :bclap: :worship:

Except Ferg was only kinda hot.

Only thing you can do in those situations is :butt: then :alc:

Bretsky
08-16-2007, 11:26 PM
LOL Do we need to bring in Dr. Phil??? :P ....or Oprah?

Oprah the guy hater is quite boring to me; Dr Phil as well. How about the real legends....Stern, Springer ??

BF4MVP
08-17-2007, 12:12 AM
Oh well..I hope he finds a job as a reserve wideout somewhere.

Partial
08-17-2007, 12:26 AM
If he has a 1000+ yard season with 8 td I am gonna be irate!

HarveyWallbangers
08-17-2007, 12:58 AM
I'd be shocked if we got something for him. Maybe somebody like Joel Dreesen. The Texans have three serviceable to solid TEs in Owen Daniels, Jeb Putzier, and Mark Bruener.

Packers will trade or release wide receiver
By TOM SILVERSTEIN

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers' patience with Robert Ferguson finally ran out Thursday.

Robert Ferguson has worked hard, but he isn't one of the top wide receivers and his play on special teams has slipped.

Around 5 p.m., about 90 minutes before the team took the field for its final night practice of the summer, Ferguson was informed by coach Mike McCarthy that an attempt was being made to trade him to another team. If a trade can't be made, then he will in all likelihood be released.

"Robert will no longer be a Packer," McCarthy said after the night practice. "We're going to go in another direction. We're just moving on with the other guys and that's where it stands right now. I'll have more definitive information for you tomorrow."

McCarthy said the Packers were in discussions with several teams about a trade for Ferguson. It's possible they have a firm offer for the 27-year-old receiver and are trying to see if they can do better.

If released, Ferguson, a six-year veteran, would not be subject to waivers and would be free to sign with any team in the league. Players with four or more seasons of pension credit are exempt from waivers until the end of the trading period Oct. 16.

It's unlikely the Packers will be able to get a lot for Ferguson - probably a low-round pick at most - and it's questionable whether a team would be willing to take on his $1.8 million base salary.

One potential suitor could be the Houston Texans, where former Packers coach and general manager Mike Sherman is the offensive coordinator. Sherman was influential in the Packers selecting Ferguson over Wisconsin's Chris Chambers in the second round of the 2001 draft and it's possible Ferguson, whose off-season home is in Houston, might be willing to adjust his salary in order to play in his hometown.

What is certain is that Ferguson had little chance of making the Packers' roster. The writing was on the wall after receiver Carlyle Holiday clearly outperformed Ferguson on special teams in the exhibition opener against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Holiday is an ascending player who is just two years into a transition from college quarterback to professional wide receiver. Against the Steelers, he not only caught a 3-yard touchdown pass but he made two outstanding tackles on special teams.

Ferguson used to be a Pro Bowl-caliber special teams player but he showed little of that talent this summer and was not much of a factor as a receiver. Injuries were not an issue for Ferguson, although he was being held to one practice a day because he was coming off a serious foot injury that ended his 2006 season.

"I think it's a number of factors," McCarthy said. "I feel good about what other guys are doing. I think Ruvell Martin has had an excellent camp, I think Carlyle Holiday has had a very good camp, and I think he really stepped out on special teams.
"When you get down the line, at any position group, special teams are going to be a factor. It's every position. So there are a number of factors involved in that decision."

McCarthy said that nothing Ferguson did off the field forced the decision.

"Like I told him, I think he's a talented young man," McCarthy said. "I thought he busted his (butt) the whole time he was here. I thought he was a true professional, but we've gone in another direction. That's where we're at right now."

Neither Ferguson nor his teammates were made available to reporters after practice.

If Ferguson is traded, the Packers will absorb under the salary cap the remaining $700,000 of prorated signing bonus he has left on his deal. If he is cut, the Packers will take on the $700,000 next season.

Either way, his $1.8 million base salary will be wiped off the books, so the Packers will actually gain salary cap room once he is off the roster.

Ferguson was in the fourth year of a five-year, $13 million contract extension he signed in May 2004. The Packers took a chance that he would develop into a consistent receiving threat, paying him a signing bonus of $3.5 million as part of the five-year contract.

Injuries, however, continued to plague Ferguson, who in six seasons missed 36 of a possible 96 regular-season games. His best season was in 2003, the year before his contract extension, when he caught 38 passes for 520 yards and four touchdowns.

He hasn't had 30 catches in a season since then, losing his starting position in 2004 to Javon Walker and again in 2006 to Greg Jennings. Over the last three seasons, he has started just 13 games.
Ferguson never fulfilled the promise Sherman saw in him when he pushed then lame-duck general manager Ron Wolf to select him in the second round.

Ferguson finishes his Packers career with 116 catches for 1,577 yards and 12 touchdowns. He also returned 43 kickoffs for 22.6-yard average.

Partial
08-17-2007, 01:10 AM
Damnit, Another example of TT being cheap.

He is going to cut a quality player because he doesn't want to pay him.

The Packers are doomed with him at the helm.

packrulz
08-17-2007, 05:29 AM
Fergy tried hard but the good news is the other WR's are playing better. Injuries caught up to him, I feel bad for him but I can see letting him go due to his salary. I hope they can trade him. I think he'll catch on somewhere. Thanks for the effort Fergy!
http://www.madison.com//images/articles/wsj/2007/08/16/50434_thumb.jpg

Scott Campbell
08-17-2007, 07:58 AM
One potential suitor could be the Houston Texans, where former Packers coach and general manager Mike Sherman is the offensive coordinator.

Well I guess if Sherman is involved, anything is possible.

MadtownPacker
08-17-2007, 08:03 AM
Aww hell, now who are we gonna complain about?

Iron Mike
08-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Aww hell, now who are we gonna complain about?

Dan Franks.

LL2
08-17-2007, 08:18 AM
If he has a 1000+ yard season with 8 td I am gonna be irate!

I wouldn't count on that. If Driver and Jennings can get a 1,000 yards each and JJ becomes a red zone threat because of his sure hands catching the ball who cares about Fergie.

GBRulz
08-17-2007, 08:36 AM
I sure hope we can find a team to trade with because I'm worried about the 700k cap hit we'll have to take next year. There might not be enough money left to sign anyone :whist:

run pMc
08-17-2007, 09:12 AM
I Agree with the "good guy, had bad luck with injuries and never lived up to his poential" label. I think he gave good effort, but something never clicked for him. Could be the injuries, or could be he never won over the full confidence of his QB. Either way, I wish him luck.

If TT can get a draft pick for him (even a D7), that will be a good trick.

The other thing: Fergie's departure says some interesting things about the remaining WR talent, and the coaches' decision to go with some younger guys.

Cheesehead Craig
08-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Free at last
Free at last
FREE AT LAST!!!

Carolina_Packer
08-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Well, I would liken this to a poker game where the guys playing against us know we have nothing in our hand, but we go through the motions of trying to sweeten the pot. His history is not a mystery, so it's not like we are giving away any "secret" to indicate we might cut him. It was more bizarre when the 76'ers cleared out Iverson's locker and then tried to trade him. They weakened their trading position totally. Ours is weakened by the fact that everyone knows we have a pair of two's in our hand and are still trying to win the pot.

What about a conditional draft pick? Wouldn't hurt either side, would it? Didn't we have that with Steve Moreley (sp?), when he was traded to the Jets?

I don't blame Fergy for being injured. That's just unfortunate. But, it does wear old after while, even if it's not his fault for having bad luck. At some point, as a team you just need to cut your losses and move on. It might be good for Fergy to have a change of scenery too since he's built up so much bad feeling by not being able to get on the field.

swede
08-17-2007, 12:28 PM
The only kind of trade I can see being made is the sort where you find another GM who also hates the idea of cutting a guy that has been around a while and done everything you've asked him to do except play at a high level.

You then trade Fergie for this other Never Wuz and inevitably cut said Never Wuz after giving him a dozen days or so to demonstrate that he can't earn a roster spot.

Fergie is then added to the long list of Green Bay receivers who were almost but not quite good enough.

Anyone want to bid on my Derrick Mayes jersey? Bidding starts at $5.00.

BEARMAN
08-17-2007, 09:19 PM

I think I can, I think I can, ... I think I can, ........ I think, ... I..... just shiet my pants..... :shock: ROTFLMFAO ! :butt: :duel: :flag:

MadtownPacker
08-18-2007, 01:21 AM

I think I can, I think I can, ... I think I can, ........ I think, ... I..... just shiet my pants..... :shock: ROTFLMFAO ! :butt: :duel: :flag:Kinda like when rex cost you guys the Superbowl in the 4th quarter? :lol:
:rs:

BooHoo
08-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Fergie gone. I knew it was coming. It didn't make sense to keep him any longer.

woodbuck27
08-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Fergie gone. I knew it was coming. It didn't make sense to keep him any longer.

Fr. PFT:

POSTED 9:26 a.m. EDT, August 18, 2007

PACK PUNT FERGUSON

A day after indicating that the Packers would either trade or release veteran receiver Robert Ferguson, the team has cut him loose.

And that's not a surprise, since no one was likely to pick up a contract that pays him a total of $4 million in salary over the next two years.

It'd be interesting to know whether the Packers tried to get him to take reduced pay before deciding to sever ties, and whether his agent gauged the market to determine whether Ferguson could get more elsewhere as a free agent than what the Packers would have paid. Technically, it's not permitted for teams to respond to such inquiries, given the tampering rule. But it happens all the time.

G.M. Ted Thompson said that the team made the move in order to give Ferguson a fair chance to land elsewhere. But with the start of the regular season only two weeks away, it really doesn't leave him with much time. Our guess is that the organization knew he was in danger of not making the team in the offseason but wanted to be sure that the guys who'll be on the depth chart in his absence can get the job done.

Ferguson is now a free agent, and can sign with anyone. Look for a team that brings him in now to possibly cut him before the start of the season and avoid owing him any salary. As a vested veteran, Ferguson would be entitled to exercise his one-time ability to take the balance of his salary as termination pay if he is on a team's roster when the season opens. Ferguson could then be re-signed after the first week of action, and his full salary for the season would not be, in essence, guaranteed.

Scott Campbell
08-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Fergie wouldn't have made the team even at the veterans minimum, so it's a moot point.

mission
08-18-2007, 12:33 PM
i just want to have my celebration of this act to be documented... and partial: funny joke ;)

Bretsky
08-19-2007, 01:48 PM
BLAST FOR THE PAST: RELIVING THE NIGHTMARE ONCE MORE.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_18_225/ai_74222319
Both men agreed to allow THE SPORTING NEWS inside their final draft war rooms. With this unprecedented access into these normally highly secretive rooms, we take you to Green Bay, where Wolf ends a 39-year pro career by trying to add enough quality players to boost the Packers into Super Bowl contenders, and to San Francisco, where the departing Walsh worked frantically to add enough extra choices to accelerate the 49ers' rebuilding program.

Wolf and Sherman were pretty confident that their first-round target--pass-rushing end Jamal Reynolds of Florida State-would still be around when they picked 10th in the first round. But that meant they needed to fix their other major need, receiver, in the second. And they were convinced that Robert Ferguson of Texas A&M would be gone by their present turn in that round. A trade with Walsh would move them up six spots in the second, from 16 to 10, and from 18 to 9 in the third, and add a high fourth, where they currently had no choice. It meant giving up one of their three third-round picks in what became a five-for-three transaction. But Wolf knew Sherman, who was having trouble sleeping, would be buoyed by the positives of the deal.

"It is amazing when it works, isn't it?" says Wolf after the first day. He's convinced Reynolds will be an immediate starter ; Ferguson also should be one within a season . They later grab two project-type players in the third round, cornerback Bhawoh Jue and linebacker Torrance Marshall, then begin the second day by selecting guard Bill Ferrario of Wisconsin in the fourth. Wolf spends Sunday morning fretting that he should have chosen Ferrario in the third , so he is relieved that he is still available. To take his mind off things, he sits in his office and watches a car race.

falco
08-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Not a good weekend for the packers.

Bretsky
08-19-2007, 02:06 PM

Yes, when you get nothing out of your first five draft picks that's definitely a nightmare.

falco
08-19-2007, 02:16 PM

Yes, when you get nothing out of your first five draft picks that's definitely a nightmare.

Torrance Marshall and the word nightmare go well together:

Packers | Police and Courts: T. Marshall
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:02:55 -0700

ThePittsburghChannel.com reports free agent LB Torrance Marshall (Packers) had an arrest warrant issued for him in connection with the trashing of a former girlfriend's house in Sheraden, Pennsylvania. The ex-girlfriend told police that when she got off work June 14, she found that her home had been ransacked. The damage, according to a police report, included clothes strewn around and bleach dumped all over them; mattresses sliced; electrical cords on appliances cut; and urine left on family photographs. Marshall had visited Pittsburgh earlier this month to "try and work things out" with the woman, police said. The police believe Marshall is back in Wisconsin.

But it looks like he sure has put his life back on track:

CFL | T. Marshall heads North
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 21:07:01 -0700

Ken Peters, of the Hamilton Spectator, reports the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, of the CFL, have signed NFL free agent and Arena Football League LB Torrance Marshall (Packers).

KYPack
08-19-2007, 06:01 PM
'Member when the "girlfriend" was posting on one of our traveling forums, defending Marshall's 'honor'?

That was a hoot.

Always wondered if it was real?

falco
08-19-2007, 06:05 PM
'Member when the "girlfriend" was posting on one of our traveling forums, defending Marshall's 'honor'?

That was a hoot.

Always wondered if it was real?

That was back on JSO. I'm almost sure it was LJ or one of his derivations thereof. It was all during that time shortly before the trip to Christian Encourager or whatever it was.

Rastak
08-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Roh Roh Rorge.....

The Vikings spent time Sunday with former Packers wide receiver Robert Ferguson, who was released by Green Bay last week.

Ferguson attended the Vikings’ practice Sunday afternoon on the sidelines and spent time afterwards with wide receivers coach George Stewart and the quarterbacks. Vikings coach Brad Childress said he talked with Ferguson before practice.

The Vikings and Houston Texans are thought to be the leading candidates for Ferguson’s services and, while former Packers coach Mike Sherman is now coaching in Houston, which is also Ferguson’s hometown, the Vikings also have a number of connections. Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell was the quarterbacks coach in Green Bay during Ferguson’s time there, and safety Darren Sharper was also a teammate of Ferguson’s.

“Bev has a pretty good feel for him from his days in Green Bay, and many of our scouts (evaluated) him when he was coming out,” Childress said. “I’ve never had a chance to sit down with him eyeball to eyeball, so I enjoyed our conversation this afternoon,” Childress said.

Ferguson started the Packers’ 2006 season as the team’s No. 3 receiver but suffered a season-ending foot injury in Week 4. He caught only five passes for 31 yards.

The seventh-year receiver had a breakout season in 2003, when he started 12 games, caught 38 passes for 520 yards and four touchdowns. After not having a catch in his rookie season, the 6-foot-1, 219-pounder had four consecutive seasons in which he caught more than 20 passes and had 290 yards or more.

For his career, he has started 26 games, caught 116 passes for 1,577 yards and 12 TDs.

Vikings coach Brad Childress said the team was putting Ferguson through a physical Sunday, and safety Darren Sharper, who was a teammate of Ferguson’s from 2001 to 2004, said Ferguson was in a similar situation as Sharper when he joined the Vikings – “you want to play those guys twice a year, that type of attitude,” Sharper said.

“He’s a proven player in this league, so you don’t have to sell hope to anyone (with the Vikings),” Sharper said. “I know when Ferg was healthy, he was a top-three receiver for any team.

“(He’s) a veteran, a veteran guy that has been in the fire and he brings that experience. He’s made plays in this league. Whenever you can add guys that can do that and are proven to do that, it always can help you.”

Sharper downplayed Ferguson’s injury history, calling him a tough player. Besides his foot injury in 2006, Ferguson missed five games with a knee injury in 2005, three games with a head/neck injury in 2004, and his rookie season was limited with a back problem.

“The thing is, the guy is only 27 years of age – he hasn’t even hit his prime yet,” Sharper said.

If the Vikings sign him, he would be the most experienced receiver on the

4and12to12and4
08-19-2007, 08:02 PM
God, I sure hope the Vikings pick him up. That would be great watching him give up the ball to Collins, Harris, and Woodson, in coverage. How fun would that be.

Rastak
08-19-2007, 08:03 PM
God, I sure hope the Vikings pick him up. That would be great watching him give up the ball to Collins, Harris, and Woodson, in coverage. How fun would that be.

On the flip side, if this bum did something how bad would that suck!

4and12to12and4
08-19-2007, 08:15 PM
He wont.

falco
08-19-2007, 08:53 PM
He wont.

Eh, everyone said Sharper was a washed up bum and he didn't play too poorly his first year in Minnesota.

Scott Campbell
08-19-2007, 09:04 PM
“you want to play those guys twice a year, that type of attitude,” Sharper said.

Those two guys are so fragile that they need to be happy if they play two games a year period.

Scott Campbell
08-19-2007, 09:05 PM

Sadly, busting into your starting WR lineup wouldn't be too tough.

Rastak
08-19-2007, 09:10 PM

Sadly, busting into your starting WR lineup wouldn't be too tough.

I wouldn't be too sure. I like the young guys they have...but of course if Ferguson shows up that would make your case for you....game set match....LOL

the_idle_threat
08-19-2007, 11:11 PM
Sharper is licking his chops at the thought of getting more interceptions in practice.

Joemailman
08-19-2007, 11:16 PM

In that event, we just might lose Bretsky.

Rastak
08-20-2007, 06:47 AM

In that event, we just might lose Bretsky.

Yea, so it might be best for him to just ride off to Houston......

superfan
08-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Robert Ferguson: Pros and Cons

Phil Mackey

KFAN dot com

On Sunday, Brad Childress acknowledged that the Vikings are indeed pursuing former Green Bay Packer wide receiver Robert Ferguson. The Vikings had Ferguson in for a physical and to catch a few passes. By the end of the week, Ferguson will likely choose between the Vikings and the Houston Texans.

Ferguson was taken by the Packers in the second round (41st) of the 2001 draft. He was taken before Chris Chambers and Steve Smith, both of whom have had much more success in the NFL. Although he never fully lived up to expectations, Ferguson showed flashes of talent with Green Bay. Viking fans likely have vivid memories of Brett Favre hitting Ferguson on various third-and-long passes over the past five years.

Ferguson is strong, but not tall (6’0”). He’s quick, but not fast. He’s experienced, but he’s also underachieved. Even with his flaws, Ferguson might be able to help the Vikings’ offense. But his presence may also hinder the growth of a young wide receiver or two.

Pros:

- Ferguson is a better deep threat than Bobby Wade and Troy Williamson. Wade’s longest reception since 2004 is 25 yards, and he’s had a few problems dropping passes in practice, and in games (i.e. third-and-six against the Jets on Friday). Williamson has worked hard to improve, but he’s still not an adequate option down the field.

- Ferguson is a veteran at a position that severely lacks veterans. Bobby Wade and Troy Williamson are the only veteran wide receivers on the team. Wade has two career touchdowns, and Williamson is still trying to fix his own problems.

- Ferguson isn’t afraid to catch passes over the middle. The Vikings’ offense requires receivers to catch the ball over the middle, in traffic. Adding an experienced guy to the mix who catches passes over the middle could be very beneficial.

- The Vikings play the Packers twice, and Ferguson might be able to divulge some information --although probably not very much information, considering the coaching change in Green Bay.

- Ferguson has the ability to return kicks. In 2004, he returned 21 kicks for an average of 25 yards.

- Darrell Bevell was an assistant with the Packers from 2000-2005. He spent his last three years in Green Bay as the quarterback coach, which means he has a good feel for the receivers.

Cons:

- If the Vikings do bring in Ferguson, it will likely be at the expense of Billy McMullen or Martin Nance, who has proven himself worthy of a roster spot with a solid training camp.

- Ferguson’s presence would also likely take away any significant playing time from rookie Aundrae Allison.

- Ferguson doesn’t have break away speed. He won’t make many plays after the catch, and he won’t burn defenders on deep routes.

- Ferguson’s last three seasons have been tarnished by injuries. In 2004, he missed one game with a calf injury, and the final two games of the season after taking a questionable hit from Jaguars safety Donovin Darius. In 2005, Ferguson missed five games with a knee injury, suffered against the Vikings on the longest catch (51 yards) of his career. Last year, Ferguson suffered a sprained arch in his foot and missed 12 games.

- Ferguson's entire career has been one giant underachievement. He was a high-second round draft pick and had Brett Favre as a quarterback for five years, yet he's never caught 40 passes, and he's never gained more than 520 yards.

retailguy
08-20-2007, 06:03 PM
That about sums it all up. Fergie.... <sigh>