PDA

View Full Version : OL Notes

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2007, 10:32 PM
This is the first time in three years that the coaches seem like they'd actually play Coston, and it's not all just potential. We'll see. Reading between the lines here, it would seem that Barbre, Moll, and Coston will be backup OL. Palmer and Walter are probably battling for the 9th OL spot--if there is one.

Line plans: Offensive lineman Junius Coston, a fifth-round draft choice in 2005 from North Carolina A&T, is having his best training camp.

"He's gotten better," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "The other night in Pittsburgh he was playing right guard and he took (nose tackle) Chris Hoke, who's a pretty solid player, and knocked him right flat over. And it wasn't a fluke block.

"So he's got some natural power. It's just his feet aren't always as nicely tied together as you'd like. His fundamentals still have a ways to go."

Coston has played about two-thirds of camp at both tackles and about one-third at right guard.

If right guard Jason Spitz were to suffer a major injury, Philbin said Coston might well be elevated to replace him.

Rookie Allen Barbre, a fourth-round pick from Missouri Southern State, has spent almost the entire camp at left guard and looks like the sixth-best lineman. The Packers decided not to give him any reps at right guard so he could find a comfort zone at one position.

"That would be an interesting discussion," Philbin said, referring to the decision to replace Spitz. "I don't know that it's a slam-dunk that we'd move Allen Barbre. We think Coston has had a good camp."

Former Ram Tony Palmer, a four-year starter at left guard for Missouri, has split time between right guard and center, a position that he had never played in a game before Saturday night. Reggie McKenzie, the team's top pro scout, called the 320-pound Palmer the best drive blocker on the team.

"You love that about him," Philbin said. "He's got some old power football. This guy will knock your (bleep) back. You just worry about him (at center) redirecting and the quick play inside. You worry about him a little on the second level."

The replacement for an injured Chad Clifton would be left guard Daryn Colledge over Coston, according to Philbin. If center Scott Wells went down, it would be either Spitz or veteran Tyson Walter. And if right tackle Mark Tauscher were hurt, it would be Tony Moll.

Scott Campbell
08-16-2007, 10:40 PM
I admit to being incredibly biased against Coston - purely on the basis of Nutz overhearing his wife on her cell phone last year.

Damn, that was a funny story.

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2007, 10:41 PM
I have a bias against him because his nickname is Juice.

Bretsky
08-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Yes,me too

We'll see how Orange Juice Coston does over the preseason

Brohm
08-16-2007, 10:43 PM
I just don't understand why they don't stick this guy at one spot (like Barbre) and let him get his technique/footwork sorted.

Scott Campbell
08-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Excerpt from Nutz's training camp adventure last year:

So I go back to my seat, and who should I be sitting next to when I return? Come on take a guess.

Thats right, Laura Quinn-Hawk, along with several other wives including Megan Colledge, Collin Cole's wife, and also Junius Coston's wife. Don't worry I got a couple of pictures of them, but since I was so close I had to be a little suave about it. I felt like a dirty perve, but who cares. I got one of Laura and her big zit on her forhead. Other than the zit, she was pretty good looking. She kept going on and on about car washes and gas stations that don't use ethenol in Green Bay.

The biggest god damn pain, but also the most entertaining, you know like a car wreck? The one and only Mrs. Junius Coston has to be one of the most annoying persons to walk the planet. She sat behind us for a good two hours and never shut up once. She was either talking to the other wives, or talking on her cell phone, and when I mean talk, that is all that she did, I don't think she took a moment to listen to the other person once on the phone, and she made like 3 or 4 calls. She must really think Junius is the shit, or he is really feeding her a lot of it, because the way she talked to others, and on the phone it was like Junius was an 8 year veteran starter that is coming off his 4th pro bowl.

She went on and on about his earnings, which by NFL standards is pretty meager, She went on about how his agent at IMC wants to hire her to recruit clients, and also how Junius was making fun of rookies, and the "camp bodies". I wonder if he makes fun of Jason Spitz, you know the rookie that took his job. I also found out that she is a lazy ass that admits that she doesn't really like to work, well thats not quite right, she only wants to work when she wants to, if she wants to stay in bed all day, she damn well is going to.

When Mrs. Colledge, Mrs. Cole, and Mrs. Quinn-Hawk got up to leave she dialed her phone and began talking to the person on the other end, she told them who she was just with, then she said that Laura was really nice, but AJ was really weird, probably because he doesn't talk for two fucking hours straight! I found one Mrs. Junius Coston weird!

She also talked about how there was no way she was going to sit out in the open and watch the games, and the only way she was going to the games was if Junius or"J" as she called him would get her club seating. She went on and on. She really just sounded like a spoiled little bitch, well she wasn't exactly little, but anyways, sitting amongst the poor little mortals called fans going on and on about how she demanded club seats from her husband.

Well crap, I was at the training camp all I got was gossip from one Mrs. Coston. What the fuck.

Scott Campbell
08-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Classic.

run pMc
08-17-2007, 09:32 AM
True...I don't think that will ever get old.

Well crap, I was at the training camp all I got was gossip from one Mrs. Coston. What the fuck.

Love it.

Spaulding
08-17-2007, 09:40 AM
That made my Friday as I didn't catch the post last year. Thanks for reposting and thanks to Nutz for the entertainment :)

woodbuck27
08-17-2007, 03:11 PM
That made my Friday as I didn't catch the post last year. Thanks for reposting and thanks to Nutz for the entertainment :)

What really caught me as hilarious was the picture that Nutz presented to us of Coston's bride.

Maybe it was just some finger or thumb in the way of the lens but that didn't look right. Negative touchup and. . . :repost:

Where is that picture and maybe y'all will see something off there?

I'm sure she's just lovely. :violin:

KYPack
08-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Another Nutz classic was when he said Coston got "doodlebugged".

I watched tape and sure enuff, Coston got knocked forward and upside down so he was flat on his back, turned backwards. Then, he kicked his feet in the air like a doodlebugged.

The kid has been one of the worst young OLineman I've seen, worse than Whittaker. He's improved. I guess all these camps have taught him something. He may just make the roster.

Another young guy I like is Orrin Thompson. He's tough and has skills. He'll make PS easy if somebody doesn't snap him up. Big LT's are handy, ya know.

Deputy Nutz
08-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Well thanks for all the good memories fellas.

That was a really neat experience last year it was like sitting in the clubs seats with all the players' wives and girl friends.