PDA

View Full Version : What a SHOCK! NO TRADE, Fergie RELEASED.

gbpackfan
08-17-2007, 12:23 PM
FRIDAY, Aug. 17, 2007, 11:19 a.m.
By Tom Silverstein

Packers release Ferguson
Green Bay - Unable to work out a trade, the Green Bay Packers released wide receiver Robert Ferguson Friday morning.

Ferguson's agent, Brian Overstreet, said that he was informed that the Packers had cut Ferguson after conducting talks with at least three teams. The Packers have not announced the move, but on Thursday evening coach Mike McCarthy said that releasing Ferguson was an option if they couldn't trade him.

Overstreet said he was hopeful Ferguson would find a team where he would fit in and have a shot at winning a regular-season roster spot. Because he is a vested veteran, Ferguson was not subject to waivers and automatically becomes a free agent.

Were he subject to waivers, the team that claimed him and was granted his rights would have been responsible for his $1.8 million base salary. Now he'll be able to pick a spot where he feels most comfortable.

"I guess as far as making the best of a bad situation, this is it," Overstreet said. "Obviously, he wanted to retire as a Packer. I'm hoping there are (teams interested)."

Overstreet said that he was told the Packers had discussions with the Houston Texans, Washington Redskins and Buffalo Bills about a trade. However, all of the three knew that Ferguson probably would be released and they would be able to negotiate a new deal with him as a free agent, thus being free of his $1.8 million salary.

Overstreet said he had not heard from any teams, but he had just been informed Ferguson had been cut.

The Packers parted ways with Ferguson because they felt younger receivers Ruvell Martin and Carlyle Holiday were better options. Ferguson, a six-year veteran, missed most of last season with a serious foot injury and had been outperformed by Martin and Holiday on special teams during training camp.

Overstreet said that Ferguson was saddened by the Packers' decision to let him go, but he was not bitter.

"I think he kind of had mixed feelings," Overstreet said. "He was disappointed from the standpoint that he was accustomed to being there and loved his teammates. He had taken up roots there and owned a home. He's disappointed.

"But he feels like he disappointed them. He thinks about 'I didn't succeed with this or that.' He'll always point the finger at himself first regardless of the circumstances. He feels like 'I didn't get it done.' He's a different guy. He won't point the finger at anybody but himself."

There's a strong possibility Ferguson will wind up with the Texans, where former Packers coach and general manager Mike Sherman is assistant head coach. Sherman was influential in drafting Ferguson in the second round in 2001 and held a fondness for his toughness and no-nonsense approach.

Ferguson was born and raised in Houston and would be playing at home with the Texans. Overstreet said it would be important for him to find a team where he was given a good shot at earning a roster spot.

gbpackfan
08-17-2007, 12:24 PM
I am not surprised.

1. The Packers showed their hand to soon.

2. We are talking about Robert Ferguson. Who the hell would trade for him?

swede
08-17-2007, 12:33 PM
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/anne_robinson_weakest_link.jpg

Goodbye!

PackerBlues
08-17-2007, 12:41 PM
I had already thought that Ferguson going to Houston was a strong possibility due to his ties to Sherman, but had not considered or known that Ferguson was born and raised there.

I think it would be interesting to find a Houston Texans website comparable to this one, where we could read the Texan fans thoughts on having so many of GreenBays cast offs on their roster.

Rastak
08-17-2007, 01:09 PM
I am not surprised.

Mainly #1 I think.....but also his contract made it pretty hard.

The Shadow
08-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Ferguson was not worth anything in trade.
The Packers prob. went through the charade as a courtesy -as though they thought a trade was a possibility - instead on just outright dumping him.

woodbuck27
08-17-2007, 02:36 PM
The Packers prob. went through the charade as a courtesy -as though they thought a trade was a possibility - instead on just outright dumping him.

He was worth something before now; or why did we waist so much time and money on him?

Put another way. . .

Why was he coddled so long in Green Bay and not worth anything??

KYPack
08-17-2007, 03:33 PM
I am not surprised.

I agree. It was lame to show our hand so completely. If you want to trade a guy, you make him seem like your upcoming star. But, as has been pointed out, nobody would buy that crap.

Well Bretsky, announce the location of the party. We'll all attend.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-17-2007, 03:49 PM

I agree. They probably already tried to trade him and once there was no takers they said that there may be a trade to do him a favor.

oregonpackfan
08-17-2007, 04:18 PM
I am sure Mike Sherman of the Houston Texans will lobby hard to pick up Ferguson.

I agree with other posters who maintain Ferguson's stock was so low no other team was willing to trade for him.

Him8123
08-17-2007, 04:42 PM
what a shame,....so much invested and nothing in return. At least he was a good person. I wish him luck in the future. Just sucks we can`t get anything for him...

Harlan Huckleby
08-17-2007, 05:45 PM
he's a great special teams coverage guy.

Depending on how much money he has salted away, he might be willing to play for 500K as a special teams demon (and experienced backup at reciever.)

If he has plenty of money, it might make sense to walk away from the game.

BF4MVP
08-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Can't really blame em for trying to get something out of him..But it lowers a player's trade value significantly when the team says beforehand that if they can't trade him they'll cut him..Not that Fergy had much trade value anyways..

BEARMAN
08-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Trouble in cheesey land ? hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :whaa:

What/who ya gonna use now, to replace him ? Can you aford to replace him ? Bigger then that, who wants to play for the pack ? :doh:
Wheels are not off yet, but they are wobling.... :taunt: :duel: :flag:

Brohm
08-17-2007, 06:52 PM

What/who ya gonna use now, to replace him ? Can you aford to replace him ? Bigger then that, who wants to play for the pack ? :doh:

So you were actually surprised we released him :shock:

Green Bud Packer
08-17-2007, 06:53 PM
This ain't trouble, it's time to party. The pack finally has 4 recievers better than ole #87

gbpackfan
08-17-2007, 07:11 PM

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! Thanks for that Bearman. That was a good laugh. Can we afford to replace Fergie? HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

:D :D

the_idle_threat
08-17-2007, 07:28 PM
On other teams' forums, fans are salivating over getting a 6-year veteran receiver with playoff experience---a former 2nd round pick no less---on the cheap!

Oh, how free agents look so much different from the other side. The grass is always greener.

Badgerinmaine
08-17-2007, 07:46 PM
I think it would be interesting to find a Houston Texans website comparable to this one, where we could read the Texan fans thoughts on having so many of GreenBays cast offs on their roster.

Here's one:
http://www.texanstalk.com/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,4/

The fans there didn't seem terribly thrilled overall, other than the local connection for him. Idle, whose fans were so excited?

the_idle_threat
08-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Idle, whose fans were so excited?

Extrapolating from how people on this forum get so excited about "veteran free agents :!: :!: :!: " when other teams release their garbage.

BallHawk
08-17-2007, 08:42 PM
I found this quote from a Texans poster funny.

"Well looks like my picking up Donald Driver for my FF team is a better pick up than I thought."

falco
08-17-2007, 08:55 PM
I found this quote from a Texans poster funny.

"Well looks like my picking up Donald Driver for my FF team is a better pick up than I thought."

Did he actually think someone else would be scoring touchdowns for the packers???

jmbarnes101
08-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Considering the drafting of Fergy was the move that caused me to think that Sherman the GM was a complete waste of space I'm glad he's gone. I was screaming and pleading at the tv for them to take Chris Chambers. A Badger used to playing in the cold weather would be a welcome addition to this team. Instead, Sherman takes a no-talent hack out of A&M known as Robert Ferguson. Ugh. I was so upset I didn't follow the rest of that draft and I knew then and there that Sherman needed to go.

Imagine if we had Chris Chambers today. Driver and Chambers would be our starters. We'd be able to stretch the field and open up the running game. Yes, Chambers has been inconsistent but look at the QB's he's had in Miami. Instead, he would have been catching balls from Favre his entire career.

Fergy, you sucked. Good bye!

Bretsky
08-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Considering the drafting of Fergy was the move that caused me to think that Sherman the GM was a complete waste of space I'm glad he's gone. I was screaming and pleading at the tv for them to take Chris Chambers. A Badger used to playing in the cold weather would be a welcome addition to this team. Instead, Sherman takes a no-talent hack out of A&M known as Robert Ferguson. Ugh. I was so upset I didn't follow the rest of that draft and I knew then and there that Sherman needed to go.

Imagine if we had Chris Chambers today. Driver and Chambers would be our starters. We'd be able to stretch the field and open up the running game. Yes, Chambers has been inconsistent but look at the QB's he's had in Miami. Instead, he would have been catching balls from Favre his entire career.

Fergy, you sucked. Good bye!

:knll: :knll: :clap: :clap: :bclap: :bclap: