PDA

View Full Version : Jennings feels invisible

RashanGary
08-17-2007, 10:56 PM
Ghost in the playbook

Jennings feels invisible in second year role

Tom Silverstein

Just a year ago, Greg Jennings captured the fancy of the Oneida St. faithful like few other Green Bay Packers rookies have in recent years, vaulting up the depth chart with every catch and run until the coaches had no choice but to start him in the season opener.

Once the golden child in the Packers' offense, the former second-round pick lines up with the No. 1 offense opposite Donald Driver, but often looks like just another guy trying to make the roster. You don't need more than one hand to count the number of memorable plays Jennings has made in practice and the first exhibition game.

Has he slipped that far in just 12 months?

"I think part of it is, with so many guys to evaluate and so many guys to get a feel for where they're at and what kind of contribution they're going to make to the ballclub, we haven't isolated Greg," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "We have information on Greg. I think we know what he's about."

Not being isolated is not exactly how Jennings would describe it. He would call it being ignored. Almost since the first day of camp, Jennings has been the split end in three-receiver sets, which in the West Coast offense is the playground equivalent of being told over and over again to just go deep and get out of the way.

The coaches have replaced Jennings on the front side of those formations with promising rookie James Jones, who is being given a crash course on the offense so he can be ready for the season opener. The split end, or "X" position, is far easier to learn, but the Packers want to make sure Jones knows the most difficult spot first so he can be a bigger part of the offense.

Jennings was that guy last year, although he was so far ahead of a typical rookie that he was able to learn all three positions. Even though he understands what's going on, he isn't exactly thrilled with it.

"You can't be bitter," Jennings said. "You try to make the best out of it. At the same time, I'm a perfectionist. I'm one of those guys, I want the ball. I don't want to make it a big ordeal because it's not just about that. But it sits in the back of your mind because that's how players fall through those cracks."

Jennings started to lose his footing last year when a sprained ankle, suffered against Miami in Week 6, robbed him of his elusiveness. He caught 20 passes for 364 yards (18.2 average) and three touchdowns in the first five games, but couldn't get back to full health until the final weeks of the season.

Coming back this year, Jennings wanted to pick up where he left off heading into the Miami game and work on some of the timing aspects of being one of Brett Favre's receivers. He has had opportunities to be a playmaker when lined up in two-receiver sets with Driver, but a lot of what the Packers do in the passing game is with three receivers.

Jennings has fallen into the lost world that Robert Ferguson used to complain about when he was the starting split end.

"I told him, 'I see how you didn't progress (as a receiver) at the X position,' " Jennings said. "It's tough. If you don't have a slot receiver on your inside, you're last in the progression 90% of the time. There's a tight end, slot and flanker on the other side. You have three different options over there and just one back here."

Jennings pointed to a Thursday morning practice as a typical day at split end: He said he ran about 10 plays at that position and not a single ball was thrown his way. He lined up as the flanker once and the ball was thrown to him

Against Pittsburgh last Saturday night, Jennings did not catch a pass. The lone ball thrown his way actually came when he was lined up as the split end on a second-and-16 play midway through the first quarter. He ran a slant route and was open enough to probably get the first down and more, but Favre badly overthrew him.

"It's easier to joke about it than complain about it," said Jennings, who recently talked to receivers coach Jimmy Robinson about his role. "Driver was in at the X the other day in 2-minute and he's, like, 'I'm not going back to X.' It's tough, man. It's like you're almost just out there."

The most frustrating part for Jennings is that he wants to improve on his rookie season totals of 45 catches for 632 yards and three touchdowns, but he thinks he needs to be used at the other receiver positions. When he played out of two-receiver sets in the intrasquad scrimmage at Lambeau Field, he caught three passes for 25 yards on his first series and one for 7 on his other series.

If there's a developing chemistry between Jennings and Favre, it's not evident in practice. Driver will he his first option no matter what, but part of what got Favre in trouble last year was relying on Driver too much.

To that end, the Packers want Jennings to be savvier with his route-running and less mechanical. He knows all the plays and can run the routes just as they're drawn up, but he needs more work setting up cornerbacks and finding holes in zone defenses.

Whether all the work at split end is stunting his growth as a receiver or Jennings just isn't performing up to the level he did last year is up for debate. He would like to settle things on the field, if they would let him.

"I look at it like if I do my job, it'll come back," Jennings said. "I don't want to focus on it. You have to get your work done and make the best of it."

RashanGary
08-17-2007, 11:56 PM
During the regular season teams will start to double driver or rotate coverage to him. The coaches will tell Favre to take some shots on the other side. If Jennings takes advantage of those shots, Favre will keep going back to the well. I feel a lot better about Jennings after reading this because it sounds like he's just being ignored in camp and I think part of that is Al Harris and another part of that is that our defense isn't rotating to Driver. Other teams will and then Favre will look to his only option on the left, Jennings.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Jennings in the regular season. Having a weapon on the other side of the field and a good Oline is going to really balance out our offense and make our whole attack more effective. I was never off of the Jennings band wagon but I was starting to wonder about why he wasn't performing. Now I have a better idea as to why and it makes me feel better about him going into the season.

This was an informative artical. I think it explained a lot. In an internet era where we can all see what is happining for ourselves, we still need the reporters to get to the bottom of things from time to time. Everyone could see Jennings wasnt' doing much. We just had no idea as to why.

BF4MVP
08-18-2007, 01:31 AM
Pretty much has been invisible this whole camp..

gbpackfan
08-18-2007, 02:15 AM
Toughen up kid. You'll get your chances during the regular season. This doesn't worry me in the least.

RashanGary
08-18-2007, 07:32 AM
Toughen up kid. You'll get your chances during the regular season. This doesn't worry me in the least.

Right. Fergi was ignored in camp but when he got passes he dropped half of them. Jennings is still catching everthhing thrown his way, heh's just not getting the oppertunity. When the reg season comes around and Favre realizes that Jennings makes plays, he'll look that way a lot more. Favre goes with what works. Jennings just has to prove himself early in the reg season which I think he will and his season will be great.

LL2
08-18-2007, 08:59 AM
They are just speeding up the learning curve for JJ. Expect Martin to see more action this year too.

Him8123
08-18-2007, 09:38 AM
jennings had a tremendous first season. Even with the injury later on. I can`t wait to see him and how he`s improved in the regular season.

Free Chunky Soup season opener vs. Da Seagulls

BF4MVP
08-18-2007, 10:25 AM

Right. Fergi was ignored in camp but when he got passes he dropped half of them. Jennings is still catching everthhing thrown his way
Bahhhh no need to drag Fergy into this thread :lol: :wink:

RashanGary
08-21-2007, 07:08 AM
JS camp update Monday, Aug 20
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=649587

Receiver Greg Jennings' complaint about being left out of the offense must have been heard because quarterback Brett Favre hit him with several passes during team and seven-on-seven drills. Jennings looked good on the receptions, including a rocket he snared between two defenders.

Fritz
08-21-2007, 08:37 AM
I couldn't quite tell from the article if Jennings was "invisible" because he just wasn't getting the ball thrown to him, or if he just wasn't doing much, or was doing poorly.

Glad to have the inside scoop from you who have watched for yourselves in camp. Thanks.

Joemailman
08-21-2007, 08:45 AM
I think Jennings' lack of production is all about lack of opportunities. That said, the first half pf the 3rd pre-season game is the closest you get to real game conditions in the pre-season, so I wouldn't be surprised to see MM work Jennings into the offensive mix more.

fan4life
08-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Deleted

Partial
08-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Now that the first team offense will play at least a half on Thursday, I think you'll see him get the ball more and more. Hopefully they have three receivers that are better than the guys lining up across from them. If they are, they will have good success.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2007, 09:24 AM
From the GBP:

After a quiet start to camp, receiver Greg Jennings had his second straight productive practice. On Tuesday, he caught a 15-yard touchdown pass from Brett Favre with Patrick Dendy covering him.

Fritz
08-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Well, poor Greg. His feelings are hurt. I say we have a group session to let him air it out. Who wants to start?

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2007, 09:54 AM
I get VERY angry when McCarthy repeatedly ingores my suggestions here in this forum. I don't feel heard.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Well, poor Greg. His feelings are hurt. I say we have a group session to let him air it out. Who wants to start?

Greg's handled the situation with aplomb, IMHO. Most WRs (e.g. Javon Walker) would have made a big stink of it. He was probably asked why he hasn't been involved, and he answered in a professional manner. I have no problem with what Jennings has said or done. Hell, I'm surprised it took him weeks to say anything.

The Leaper
08-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Greg's handled the situation with aplomb, IMHO. Most WRs (e.g. Javon Walker) would have made a big stink of it.

I don't recall Walker complaining about the number of passes coming to him. Don't sit here and try to make Walker out to be some kind of whiner. The guy came into town, worked his ass off to become an impact player, and made a business decision to try to ensure the financial future of his family.

Unfortunately, everything after that seemed to fall apart in terms of his future in Green Bay...some under his control, some not. That doesn't change the fact that Walker was a respectable human being who did many admirable things in the community and kept his nose clean.

I don't like the whining of Jennings. Maybe when he posts a Pro Bowl caliber season like Walker did, he can start thinking about opening his yap.

Partial
08-22-2007, 12:39 PM
Greg's handled the situation with aplomb, IMHO. Most WRs (e.g. Javon Walker) would have made a big stink of it.

I don't recall Walker complaining about the number of passes coming to him. Don't sit here and try to make Walker out to be some kind of whiner. The guy came into town, worked his ass off to become an impact player, and made a business decision to try to ensure the financial future of his family.

Unfortunately, everything after that seemed to fall apart in terms of his future in Green Bay...some under his control, some not. That doesn't change the fact that Walker was a respectable human being who did many admirable things in the community and kept his nose clean.

I don't like the whining of Jennings. Maybe when he posts a Pro Bowl caliber season like Walker did, he can start thinking about opening his yap.

HAHAHHHAHAHAHA

It is tough to ensure a financial future for your family on 600k a year??

I'd say asking for the ball and wanting to play so you can EARN your big salary a few years down the road is quite the opposite and more positive method for the team than HOLDING OUT and CAUSING A RUCKUS demanding the big bucks based on potential rather than production.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2007, 12:59 PM
IMHO, Walker deserved the scorn. Jennings hasn't done anything close to what Walker did. He said he wasn't getting the ball, but would just continue to work hard.

Furious Walker wants out
Wide receiver asks Packers to trade him
By BOB McGINN

Green Bay - Even if the Green Bay Packers offered a lucrative new contract and quarterback Brett Favre retired, wide receiver Javon Walker still wouldn't resume his career in the National Football League's smallest city.

His agent, Kennard McGuire of Chicago, reiterated Friday what his client essentially told ESPN.com Thursday. Walker has played his final game for Green Bay.

"He has made it perfectly clear that he does not want a new contract from them," McGuire said. "The mind-set is there really is no future there. This young man only wants peace of mind. He does not feel that he would have peace of mind playing there."
According to McGuire, Ted Thompson still has hopes that the Packers will get Walker on the field for the final year of the five-year, $6.7 million contract that he signed in 2002 after being the 20th pick in the draft.

"He said he wanted to exhaust all means in working this situation out, which I applaud him for," McGuire said. "But everything that I'm hearing from the family, the answer is 'no.' "
"If I had to go back there, I'd retire," Walker told ESPN.com's Michael Smith. "I don't have to play. I really have no interest in being in a Green Bay Packers uniform or playing for Green Bay again."

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Too hard to search for all the comments he might have made 5 years ago, but this is pretty interesting. BTW, I don't have any problem with these comments from Walker. They sound pretty similar to what Jennings said.

Walker ‘Frustrated’ By Offensive Difficulties

A 4-1 start pleases Javon Walker, The offense’s inability to generate consistent results, however, rankles him.

“We’re happy to get the win, but it’s frustrating,” Walker said in the locker room Monday. “I know I’m frustrated, because I’m used to scoring points, used to having a little bit more opportunity to put us in position to score — myself, Rod (Smith) and the other receivers — but I’m thinking (that) it’s still the early season, a lot of big games coming up. We’ve got to do something. We can’t keep saying the same thing every week, (that) maybe we’ll find (our groove).”

“We’ve got to do something.”
“Like I said, I’m a competitor, so I feel like any time that I’m out there and I can make a play, I feel like it’ll put us in position to score and then I’m going to live by that and stick to it. I feel like any time I can get the ball in my hands, something good can happen, and I think more points can be scored, but like I said, I’m just executing the plays that are called right now.”

He later added: “The only thing I can be accountable for is myself, and I just know the attitude I take towards the game, and when I’m out there playing, I just know sometimes I’m in the zone to where I know I can make plays, and I feel like if we take advantage of that, I feel like big things can happen — along with the other receivers. We all feel the same way and we all talk about it, so we’ll just come back in practice this week and see where it takes us going into Cleveland.”

Walker’s frustrations — and those of anyone on the offense — were understandable to Head Coach Mike Shanahan.

“If you’re not frustrated, then you won’t be in this business for long,” Shanahan said. “Our offense is used to being one of the top, and when you’re not, you go back, look at yourself and try to figure out why and you work on those things to make sure that by the end of the seasons, you’re one of the top teams.”

And when asked whether one-on-one chats with players who are “starting to simmer” were necessary, Shanahan dismissed the notion.

“Not at all. Starting to simmer? I think sometimes you (the media) take things out of perspective,” he said. “You have to be there, you have to be on the sideline, you have to be in the press box. That’s the nature of this job.

“You want guys who want the ball,” Shanahan said. “Because a guy expresses to you (media) who has made a number of big plays that he would like the ball as much as possible, Javon is mad at himself that he missed that slant route that could have kept the drive going in the second series of the third quarter. That may have been the difference of us scoring. So Javon knows in the back of his mind, he better take advantage of those situations when the ball hits him in the hands.”

LaFours
08-22-2007, 03:30 PM
I would think feeling invisible might be a good thing. If you were invisible (as a wide receiver) the cornerbacks and safeties would have a hard time covering you. In fact, being invisible might be the best attribute a wide receiver could ask for...just kneel down beside the bed at night and pray to the good lord to allow you to wake up the next morning with the translucency of a pane of plexi-glass.

Of course being invisible would also come with its share of challenges. Greg would have to work very hard on his timing with Brett to ensure Brett knew what area he would be in to deliver the pass appropriately. And then there is the uniform issue. The league probably wouldn't allow him to play nude (which I assume he would have to do to acheive ultimate invisibility) due to the injury concerns (not to mention the negative press), so the team would need to put together a crack-team of scientists on the project of creating a uniform that would not hinder the invisibility factor he has already acheived.

I'm glad Greg brought this up...I just think his position on the issue is backwards.

The Leaper
08-22-2007, 04:50 PM

Not tangible to the argument at hand. Bill Gates doesn't need $150 billion either...that doesn't mean he isn't going to push to get everything he can, the same as you would in the same situation.

People who point out the dollar amount are more jealous than anything else. When it comes down to it, everyone fights to earn more and get their fair share...regardless of what income level they are at.

$2M isn't going to last a family 60 years when you factor in inflation and expenses. Walker doesn't have the smarts to pull down a healthy salary after football. His earning potential is playing football...and that earning potential can end at any time. To say he has no right to try to ensure his family's future is quite disturbing to me.

The Leaper
08-22-2007, 04:51 PM
I'm glad Greg brought this up...I just think his position on the issue is backwards.

I agree.

A. Don't talk to the media about it.

B. Work you ass off until things start happening.

CaliforniaCheez
08-22-2007, 07:46 PM
WR Jennings was cut today.

Now that the Giants cut him he is on waivers.

the_idle_threat
08-23-2007, 02:17 AM

Not tangible to the argument at hand. Bill Gates doesn't need $150 billion either...that doesn't mean he isn't going to push to get everything he can, the same as you would in the same situation.

People who point out the dollar amount are more jealous than anything else. When it comes down to it, everyone fights to earn more and get their fair share...regardless of what income level they are at.

$2M isn't going to last a family 60 years when you factor in inflation and expenses. Walker doesn't have the smarts to pull down a healthy salary after football. His earning potential is playing football...and that earning potential can end at any time. To say he has no right to try to ensure his family's future is quite disturbing to me.

$2 million---invested in nothing more than low-risk CDs or money markets at a conservatively-estimated rate of 4%---yields $80K per year in interest or dividends. A person can live VERY well on $80K per year, and wouldn't even have to touch the principal. The vast majority of us live on far less.

Money markets and CDs have been paying between 5 and 6% for the past several years, which moves that annual income to a range of $100K to $120K.

I don't think it's mere jealousy that makes us scoff when Walker claims to be insulted by an annual salary over $600K or Latrell Sprewell turns down $10M because he has to "feed his family." These guys have no idea of the realities faced by the majority of the folks sitting in the stands.

Incidentally, I heard on the radio that Sprewell's yacht was repossessed today, because Spree stopped making the payments. His family must have eaten up the whole $10M already.