PDA

View Full Version : Texans confirm interest in ex-Packers receiver Ferguson

RashanGary
08-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Texans confirm interest in ex-Packers receiver Ferguson

By JOHN McCLAIN
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle
CLICK HERE FOR LINK (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5064189.html)

The Texans are interested in veteran receiver Robert Ferguson, who was placed on waivers by the Packers on Friday.

As soon as the Texans landed in Phoenix on Friday afternoon, general manager Rick Smith called Brian Overstreet, the Houston-based agent who represents Ferguson.

Ferguson, 27, grew up in Houston, played at Spring Woods High School and Texans A&M. He resides in Houston in the offseason.

"I can't imagine a better place for him," Overstreet said.

Ferguson has a history of injury problems, including a season-ending ankle injury in 2006. He's never caught more than 38 passes in a season.

If Ferguson could stay healthy, he'd be starting for the Packers. Texans offensive coordinator Mike Sherman was Green Bay's head coach when Ferguson was selected in 2001. The Packers waived him because they have three talented young receivers behind starters Donald Driver and Greg Jennings.

Kevin Walter, who has never caught more than 19 passes, starts opposite Andre Johnson. Rookie Jacoby Jones and injury-prone veteran Jerome Mathis, who has remained healthy through training camp, are backups with veterans Keenan McCardell and Andre Davis.

"A few other teams called, but I told them I wanted to be honest with them," Overstreet said. "I told them we wanted to talk to the Texans first because I don't know of a better situation for Ferg than to play for his hometown team for the coach who drafted him (Sherman).

"We'll just have to talk to them to see where they stand right now before we take the next step."

RashanGary
08-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Thank you for firing Mike Sherman, Bob Harlan. Thank You :worship:

PackerTimer
08-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Shermy must have alot of pull in Houston. It's amazing how many former Packers from his tenure end up there.

BF4MVP
08-18-2007, 10:23 AM
can't say im surprised..

woodbuck27
08-18-2007, 11:42 AM
The Hoston Texans or Packers South. :hug:

oregonpackfan
08-18-2007, 12:20 PM
can't say im surprised..

Bingo! I feel the same way. I say go ahead and let Mike Sherman have our castoffs.

RashanGary
08-18-2007, 02:16 PM
That sounded just like the Kevin Barry artical. Remember the agent saying the rolled out the red carpet and all of that. This agent is turning down other OFFERS becuase Houston is just so perfect.

I think they also got in a pretty hefty bidding war with Vonta Leach. They ended up outbidding the Giants. Regardless, Sherman obviously liked those crappy players from the 4-12 team. Thank Harlan he's in Houston and not here depleting our team of depth and talent.

VegasPackFan
08-18-2007, 02:57 PM
If they do pick him up, I think we can offically end all Shermy/TT debates for all time.

GAME --- SET---MATCH