PDA

View Full Version : Be Careful on the Defensive Accolades.

oregonpackfan
08-18-2007, 10:40 PM
The Packers defensive unit looked overwhelming tonight.

Before we Packer fans celebrate deliously, however, we need to remember that the Seattle offense played without their starting QB and their starting tackles. It might have been a completely different game with Hassleback and the two regular tackles in there.

Going back to the positive aspects of the first team defense, I was impressed with the intensity and the pursuit to the ball by all the members of the Packer defense.

If this defense plays this well during the season, they will give the Packer offense more chances to score.

Partial
08-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Completely agree. Walter Jones completely changes that game. So does Hasselback. Playmakers win football games. While Jenkins looked like one tonight, he wouldn't have against Jones. Hasselback is infinitely better than Wallace.

cpk1994
08-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Completely agree. Walter Jones completely changes that game. So does Hasselback. Playmakers win football games. While Jenkins looked like one tonight, he wouldn't have against Jones. Hasselback is infinitely better than Wallace.How do you know that Jenkins would't have success against Jones. I think you are insulting Jenkins with that statement. As for Hasselback it may have been worse bnecause he is not as mobile as Wallace.

b bulldog
08-18-2007, 10:53 PM
Agree but the way they are flying to the ball and the constant pressure, these are worthy of excitement. The two tackles would have made an improvement but from our first stringers to our fourth stringers, we were getting pressure and making plays.

RashanGary
08-18-2007, 10:53 PM
I agree. Two of their top 3 players were out. I think we can be a very good team but this is too good to be true. I want to see the whole preseason and a couple reg season games before we start crowning any group on this team.

Still, we looked very good and there is reason to think our team can compete with the Bears.

Lurker64
08-18-2007, 10:54 PM
How many Tackles of the calibre of Jones do you think Jenkins is going to see this year, anyway?

Partial
08-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Completely agree. Walter Jones completely changes that game. So does Hasselback. Playmakers win football games. While Jenkins looked like one tonight, he wouldn't have against Jones. Hasselback is infinitely better than Wallace.How do you know that Jenkins would't have success against Jones. I think you are insulting Jenkins with that statement. As for Hasselback it may have been worse bnecause he is not as mobile as Wallace.

Jones is the best player at his position in the league. He might be the best ever.

Hasselback would go through his reads much faster. All these guys can throw the ball, it's the mental element what seperates a lot of these guys.

Partial
08-18-2007, 10:55 PM
How many Tackles of the calibre of Jones do you think Jenkins is going to see this year, anyway?

He was facing a guy who is a back-up, though. There is a HUGE drop-off between solid starter to backup. He'll face plenty of good tackles and will be effective but not THAT effective. I mean he was in the backfield on just about every play tonight.

b bulldog
08-18-2007, 10:56 PM
sEATTLE HAD BOTH OF THEIR STARTING t'S OUT OF THE GAME.

RashanGary
08-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Right Partial. WE have no weak links on the D-line though. Every game there is going to be some weak link that we take advantage of. You eluded to this earlier I think.

Partial
08-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Right Partial. WE have no weak links on the D-line though. Every game there is going to be some weak link that we take advantage of. You eluded to this earlier I think.

Not necessarily on the line. We're solid at every position but SS. We need to capitalize on the places where the other team may not be as strong. That is all game planning and preparation.

RashanGary
08-18-2007, 11:01 PM
I think our SS could be OK. Manuel couldn't run all last off season. He's not fast or agile to begin with so to take away his ability to train in the offseason is taking away his ability to compete. He also had a year to learn the defense. I think he might be OK. There are a couple of things that you can look at and say "Maybe it was circumstance more than his inablity to play in this league"

b bulldog
08-18-2007, 11:05 PM
The S position is the weakest link on the D at the moment. Collins wiff on that tackle is inexcusable.

cpk1994
08-18-2007, 11:09 PM

Jones is the best player at his position in the league. He might be the best ever.

Hasselback would go through his reads much faster. All these guys can throw the ball, it's the mental element what seperates a lot of these guys.

But Jones is not invinceable. I trhink Jenkins would be very close in production if Jones was playing. Best ever?Hardly. I can think of a few others before I even start thinking of Jones.

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2007, 11:10 PM
It didn't look like a whiff to me. Looked like Collins had the tackle, and Barnett came up and hit him... knocking him off the guy

Harlan Huckleby
08-18-2007, 11:11 PM
the Seattle offense played without their starting QB and their starting tackles.

ya, I was thinking about this too. Can you imagine if the Packers played the whole game with Orin Thompson and Julius Coston at tackle?

b bulldog
08-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Looked like a whiff to me. he should have made the play!

Partial
08-18-2007, 11:14 PM
the Seattle offense played without their starting QB and their starting tackles.

ya, I was thinking about this too. Can you imagine if the Packers played the whole game with Orin Thompson and Julius Coston at tackle?

You mean you want to turn lose the juice?

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2007, 11:18 PM

It wasn't that bad. Locklear isn't even guaranteed to start for them--as his replacement, Ray Willis, is in a battle with him for a starting position. The guy that started at LT, Tom Ashworth, has been in the league for many years and has started many games for New England. They actually have good depth at OT. Wallace isn't a bad backup QB either. I'm thinking Hasselbeck might have gotten injured in this game with the pressure the Packers put on. That was impressive.

Seahawks Team Report from Sporting News.com last week:

The line remains a unit in transition, with third-year C Chris Spencer replacing the retired Robbie Tobeck and second-year G Rob Sims moving in on the left side. On the right side, G Chris Gray and T Sean Locklear continue to work with the No. 1 unit. But Ray Willis could push for playing time because neither Gray nor Locklear played as well in 2006 as they did in '05. On paper, the depth on this unit has improved.

Harlan Huckleby
08-18-2007, 11:21 PM
It wasn't that bad.

I wonder what Seneca Wallace thinks.

b bulldog
08-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Agree but Jones is a special player and he coukld block any of our players one on one and than somebody else could be doubled . That being said, the Dline still looked very,very good.

Partial
08-18-2007, 11:25 PM
http://cmsimg.packersnews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=U0&Dato=20070818&Kategori=PKRGAME&Lopenr=708180808&Ref=PH&Item=12&MaxW=350

superfan
08-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Good post in tempering expections with Jones and Locklear out. However, as HW said, Ashworth and Willis are serviceable, and should be considered below average starters. The dropoff isn't that huge - like going from Jones to our second string tackles.

But I think it is reasonable to expect this defense to be one of the better defenses in the NFL.

Freak Out
08-18-2007, 11:42 PM
AJ Hawk made Mack Strong (I think he was the FB at the time) look like a little girl on that sack of Wallace. He is going to have a huge year.

Partial
08-18-2007, 11:44 PM
AJ Hawk made Mack Strong (I think he was the FB at the time) look like a little girl on that sack of Wallace. He is going to have a huge year.

It was actually Leonard lastname. He is challenging for Strong's spot, though.

b bulldog
08-18-2007, 11:50 PM
Hawk will be a superstar. I didn't think he would be this good but I am bery glad that I may be wrong.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Rookie Jennings Stands Out In Packers Camp

GREEN BAY - A.J. Hawk isn't the only Green Bay Packers rookie in a blissful mood early in training camp.

Like Hawk, the Packers' first-round pick in the April draft, Greg Jennings is married, owns a home in the Green Bay area and recently signed a lucrative first professional contract. What's more, Jennings and his wife of 13 months, Nicole, are expecting their first child in about six months.

"Life is good. It can't get any better," a smiling Jennings said this weekend.

All that's seemingly missing from Jennings' joyous life is joining linebacker Hawk and possibly rookie guards Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz in the starting lineup.

The last time the Packers started a rookie wide receiver on opening day was in 1992, when Robert Brooks got the call in a loss to Minnesota at Lambeau Field.

Jennings, one of two second-round draft choices by the Packers, has the potential to end the long drought.

"I trust that he's going to be a special wideout, he's going to have a great career in the National Football League. Right now, he's showing it," veteran Donald Driver said.

The Packers' search to fill a glaring need and complement Driver at the receiver position could start and stop with Jennings the next five weeks.

While training camp is only three days old, Jennings has been up to the challenge in a crowded competition.

Head coach Mike McCarthy said Saturday that Jennings has as good of a shot as veterans Robert Ferguson, Rod Gardner and Marc Boerigter to emerge as the No. 2 receiver.

"I think he's put together two solid practices, so I haven't seen a decline in his speed or quickness," McCarthy said.

Jennings hardly received any national exposure playing college football at Western Michigan. Yet, he led the country with an average of 8.91 receptions last year and set numerous school records.

After they traded disgruntled receiver Javon Walker to Denver 15 picks earlier on the first day of the draft, the Packers chose Jennings 52nd overall. Jennings was just the fourth receiver off the board.

Since arriving in Green Bay in early May for minicamps and organized team activities, Jennings has been a quick study. He credits his coaches at Western Michigan for introducing last year a version of the West Coast offense similar to that employed by the Packers.

Thus, Jennings has been more at ease on the practice field, and the results have been to his and the Packers' liking.

"It's pretty much a game of making plays and being prepared mentally. I think if you're prepared mentally, then the rest will come," Jennings said. "Your physical talents will showcase themselves as long as you have the mental aspect of the game."

Standing 5-foot-11, Jennings doesn't measure up to the prototypical tall receiver first-year coach McCarthy prefers to have in his offense.

Jennings, though, has compensated by being as sure with his route running as he is sure-handed.

"Not too many wideouts have great hands. That's what he's shown me more than anything," Driver said. "He's really focused on the ball. He can catch really well."

Hanging on to the football is no easy task when the quarterback is Brett Favre, who's still slinging passes at 36.

Almost without fail, Jennings, 22, is gradually establishing a passer-receiver rapport with the future Hall of Famer.

"I thought two or three times (Saturday), they had a nice connection (on passes) over the middle, and (Jennings) has a good feel for that," McCarthy said. "For a receiver that young, that's exciting to see. I'm very pleased with Greg to this point.

"That's what training camp is all about - the receivers getting on the same page with the timing of the passers."

Jennings won't allow himself to revel in the strong start to the preseason, however. He admits he's a work in progress and isn't consumed with winning the No. 2 receiver job.

"I definitely want to be a starter. But, at the same time, it's not my primary goal," said Jennings, who went to the same high school (Central) in Kalamazoo, Mich., as New York Yankees star Derek Jeter. "My primary goal is to progress every day, show progress every day -- that's important -- and just get better and just let the vets teach me into that starting role.

"It's possible. If not, then I just want to be ready when my name is called and when my number is called at all times and help my teammates."

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Favre also singled out rookie receiver Greg Jennings for praise.

"Sometimes size and speed play such a big part in decisions of an NFL team and you overlook the most important thing, intangibles," Favre said. "Can he get open? Can he catch? Can he catch in traffic? And some of those things remain to be seen, but I feel like he's kind of a natural at what he does."

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2007, 12:15 AM
Receiver catching everyone's eye
Jennings impressing coaches, teammates
By BOB McGINN

Green Bay - If ability to assimilate rapidly a National Football League system is an indicator of future success, the Green Bay Packers have hit the jackpot with wide receiver Greg Jennings.

Brett Favre and rookie wide receiver Greg Jennings (left) could be two players mentioned in the same sentence a few times this season.

Jimmy Robinson has been coaching Jennings hard during four weeks of training camp. This is his 17th straight season tutoring wide receivers in the NFL, and he was an NFL wide receiver for six years before that.

The five teams for which Robinson has coached drafted 17 wide receivers, including eight in the first three rounds. Most of them struggled as rookies, typical for the position. The one who didn't was Marvin Harrison, and 10 years later that's the receiver Robinson can't get out of his mind when he watches Jennings.

"The only other guy I can remember that came in and pretty much knew what he was doing right away was Marvin Harrison," said Robinson, who coached him in 1996 and '97, his first two seasons with the Indianapolis Colts.

"Honestly, I don't remember if he burst on the scene kind of the way Greg has or not. But I know that Marvin was out there very natural at everything he was doing right from the start."

Harrison, 34, is destined for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He is the only receiver in history to average better than 90 receptions per season, including a record 143 in 2002. He ranks third all time in receiving touchdowns with 110. He has been a Pro Bowl starter for the last seven years.

The Colts used the 19th pick in 1996 in take Harrison out of Syracuse. He started 15 of 16 games as a rookie, caught 64 passes for 836 yards with Jim Harbaugh and Paul Justin at quarterback and scored eight touchdowns

Indianapolis went 9-7 under coach Lindy Infante and made the playoffs as a wild card.

That year at the combine, Harrison measured 5 feet 11 7/8 inches, weighed 181 pounds and scored 12 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. After declining to work out, he ran 40 yards that spring in 4.37 seconds.

Jennings was 5-11 7/8 and 197, scored 17 on the Wonderlic and ran 4.42 at the combine. Both his vertical jump (36½ inches) and broad jump (9-9) were common for the position.

"Marvin's definitely a lot thinner than Greg," Robinson said. "When he got to camp, Marvin was probably 176. He's a very thin-waisted guy. Small legs. He's not built like Greg."

At Syracuse, Harrison redshirted in 1991, backed up in '92 and then started for three years. At Western Michigan, Jennings redshirted in 2001, backed up in '02 and then essentially started for three years.

Harrison finished with 135 receptions, 2,718 yards, a 20.4-yard average and 20 touchdowns. Jennings had 238 catches, 3,539 yards, a 14.9 average and 39 touchdowns.

Also, Harrison returned 42 punts for a 12.9 average and two touchdowns. Jennings had 49 punt returns, an 11.0 average and two touchdowns.

The Orangemen were 32-13-1 during Harrison's four seasons; the Broncos were 17-29 in Jennings' four seasons.

"Both have excellent hands and catch the ball in their hands real naturally," Robinson said.

"I don’t know that Greg would have the top-end speed that Marvin had when he was a rookie but he certainly catches the ball like Marvin does."
Charles Woodson and Al Harris, the Packers' starting cornerbacks, agreed with Robinson that Jennings has a much different body type from Harrison.

Harris was adamant about not comparing the two, insisting that it was unfair to Jennings.

"I think Jennings is doing an exceptional job," Harris said. "Don't get me wrong. I'm not doubting his talent. But you never know what he will produce to."

Calling Harrison a "great" wide receiver and clearly one of the top three in the NFL, Woodson didn't see many similarities.

"(Jennings) has come in and looked like he's been here before," Woodson said. "If you're not on your technique, he can get you. He's pretty good off the ball. Shifty. Good quickness. Good coming in and out of his breaks. Very good hands."

Robinson still marvels at the high quality of player the Packers found with the 52nd selection.

"Marvin is a rare commodity, a special guy," he said. "If Greg even approximates what Marvin has done in this league, he will have done very well."

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2007, 12:17 AM
To be honest, I apparently wasn't THAT impressed with him after preseason game #1.
:(

I think I changed my tune by the start of the regular season though.
:D

From HW after preseason game #1:

I don't think he's that awesome looking. You don't watch him and think Terrell Owens or Javon Walker. To me, what he looks like is a rookie that is tremendously polished. I tend to think his upside is somewhat limited though. I could see him eventually developing into a Derrick Mason type receiver.

Although Derrick Mason was a heck of a receiver.

CaliforniaCheez
08-19-2007, 12:24 AM
BE CAREFUL

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/10/10759_large.jpg

packrulz
08-19-2007, 06:08 AM
I agree with Oregon, Seattle sat 9 starters, and at times I wondered why the Packers were blitzing so much in a preseason game. They beat up the 'hawk's back ups. Still, I enjoyed the intensity they showed, too many times last year they came out flat. Bjack, Blackmon, JJ, & Bigby all needed a game like this to build confidence. I'm concerned about the knee injuries though, Bodiford was a little too reckless on the return. Indy lost 3 preseason games last year, in the end, it really means nothing.

falco
08-19-2007, 07:59 AM
That game reminded me of the year we walked all over the Saints 52-3...on our way to a 4-12 record. I'm not going to get too excited, but on the other hand I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about this team.

Bretsky
08-19-2007, 08:03 AM
That game reminded me of the year we walked all over the Saints 52-3...on our way to a 4-12 record. I'm not going to get too excited, but on the other hand I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about this team.

Ditto

Nice to see us looking positive on all cylinders though.

Packnut
08-19-2007, 08:29 AM
While no pre-season game has any effect on the regular season, this game was still a huge positive. Several good things happened including Blackmon. It's nice to see a guy that I was high on come through.

Favre looked ready for the season to start. Next game will be the real test with the starters playing for an extended time.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-19-2007, 08:32 AM

But Jones is not invinceable. I trhink Jenkins would be very close in production if Jones was playing. Best ever?Hardly. I can think of a few others before I even start thinking of Jones.

Jones would pretty much have shut down anyone he's guarding. With that said, that is really there only really great player on the line and remember we have two great ends. If Jones shuts down Jenkins, Kampman or someone else would have done the damage.

Dammit, I want preseason to end because I keep telling myself don't get excited it's just preseason. :x

The best thing from that game thought has to be the o-line play and that there was no significant injuries.