PDA

View Full Version : Blackmon flashes promise on long return

Partial
08-18-2007, 11:05 PM
Green Bay - It wasn't just Green Bay's offense that needed a spark midway through this exhibition season. The special teams unit was also desperately looking for a boost.

Packers second year cornerback Will Blackmon tried to revive the Packers' dormant return game with an 83-yard kickoff return in the first quarter against Seattle Saturday night at Lambeau Field.

Blackmon received the kickoff at his own 2-yard line and headed straight upfield. Getting blocks directly in front of him from receiver David Clowney and then linebacker Spencer Havner, Blackmon was then freed and kicked it into fifth gear in the relatively open field.

He might have scored had Seattle safety Michael Boulware not pulled him down with an illegal horse-collar tackle. That cost the Seahawks eight yards in a penalty, and the Packers scored two plays later on a 1-yard touchdown run by Brandon Jackson.

The score gave the Packers the lead for good at 10-3.

The return was such a bright spot because the Packers averaged a modest 19.4 yards per return during the exhibition season last year. The longest single return was 32 yards by Carlton Brewster.

It didn't get a whole lot better in the 16-game regular season. The Packers' averaged 19.7 yards on kickoff returns and running back Vernand Morency had the longest return at 35 yards.

Blackmon was given the kickoff return advantage after receiver Shaun Bodiford left the game on the first series with a knee injury. Blackmon and Bodiford had been sharing return duties so far in training camp.

Bodiford returned the opening kickoff 25 yards. In his absence, Clowney stepped in and had a 19-yard return.

It was an encouraging performance by Blackmon in terms of proving he is fully recovered from a broken foot he suffered in the off-season leading up to the 2006 season. He then ended the year on injured reserve with a broken rib.

"Will's done an excellent job," said Packers coach Mike McCarthy at halftime. "I think he's really showing what he can do when the ball's in his hands. We're excited about Will Blackmon."

Kicking in step: The kicking competition rages on, making this battle one of the best in camp, but the weather didn't provide the contestants much of a challenge, as the rain subsided midway through the first quarter and the new field is built for exceptional footing.

With the Packers scoring so much, it gave both kickers plenty of opportunities and neither blinked.

Both David Rayner and Mason Crosby held their own. Rayner held a slight advantage in kickoffs, reaching the end zone more than once. His kickoffs went for 75, 65, 71 and 70 in the first three quarters.

In his kickoffs, Crosby kicked 71, 65 and 73 yards.

The two alternated field goal duties and neither missed in the first three quarters. Rayner hit from 24; Crosby connected from 37.

The punting game was highlighted by a 63-yard boot by Jon Ryan.

Up to the UP: WTMJ radio reported before the game that Ted Thompson and Brett Favre flew to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan early Saturday to pay their respects to Steve Mariucci, whose mother died. Mariucci is a former assistant to the Packers and a close friend of Favre's.

Family reunion: Seattle's Seneca Wallace started in place of Matt Hasselbeck at quarterback and faced a relative for the first time in the NFL.

Wallace is the cousin of Packers 23-year-old rookie quarterback Paul Thompson, who is vying for the third quarterback slot behind Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers. Wallace is a 27-year-old fifth-year pro, but the two played in the same conference - the Big 12 - in college. Wallace played for Iowa State and Thompson at Oklahoma.

The first time they met, however, was at a family reunion. They occasionally text message each other now.

Injuries: Bodiford was hurt early in the game and left with a knee injury. He didn't return.

Fullback RyanPowdrell's knee was also injured in the second quarter on a drive with the second team offense.

Bubba Franks also appeared to be injured in the second quarter, though he returned.

Michael Montgomery injured his knee.

Etc: Attendance was 69,761 and after braving the early rain, the stands were full despite the blowout by the Packers . . . Brandon Jackson lost both of his shoes on the Packers' fourth drive of the game, right at the start of the second quarter. He had to have both shoes replaced on the bench before the 16-yard touchdown catch by James Jones . . . Best James Brown impression by far has to go to rookie cornerback Jarrett Bush after his second pick to start the third quarter . . . The 48 points scored in the first three quarters by the Packers is the most in 69 years, when they beat the Cedar Rapids Crush, 75-0, in 1938.

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2007, 11:11 PM
We may have found the return man we've been waiting for.

GrnBay007
08-18-2007, 11:12 PM
We may have found the return man we've been waiting for.

Yeah.....been waiting for a longggg time!!! Nice to see.

b bulldog
08-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Monty's was a MCL that should have him out hopefully for no moe than a few weeks.

Partial
08-18-2007, 11:46 PM
How did you guys feel about the nickelback position?

I think Frankie Walker has that spot locked up, with Willie being the dime back. If they do quarters I think they'll put Rouse in to get a bigger guy in there.

b bulldog
08-18-2007, 11:47 PM
Blackmon or Bush are my two picks for the spot.

packers11
08-18-2007, 11:52 PM
How many CBs do we keep...
6???

Harris, Woodson, Blackmon, Bush, Walker, Dendy, Williams, Malone...

Who stays? Who goes???

I see 3 LOCKS SO FAR...

Harris, Woodson, Blackmon...

superfan
08-19-2007, 12:03 AM
Both David Rayner and Mason Crosby held their own. Rayner held a slight advantage in kickoffs, reaching the end zone more than once. His kickoffs went for 75, 65, 71 and 70 in the first three quarters.

So a kickoff to the goalline is 70 yards, right? So each kicker had two kickoffs in the endzone. Three of Rayner's four kicks were to the endzone or deeper, two of Crosby's three kicks were in the endzone.

I'm comfortable with either kicker, but I'm slightly rooting for Crosby to win the job.

superfan
08-19-2007, 12:05 AM
How many CBs do we keep...
6???

Harris, Woodson, Blackmon, Bush, Walker, Dendy, Williams, Malone...

Who stays? Who goes???

I see 3 LOCKS SO FAR...

Harris, Woodson, Blackmon...

Bush and Walker look like keepers. Williams had his moments, good and bad. Dendy looks like a bubble guy, might get a spot based solely on experience, limited as it is.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2007, 12:21 AM
So a kickoff to the goalline is 70 yards, right? So each kicker had two kickoffs in the endzone. Three of Rayner's four kicks were to the endzone or deeper, two of Crosby's three kicks were in the endzone.

I'm comfortable with either kicker, but I'm slightly rooting for Crosby to win the job.

Friggin' weird. I thought the same thing when I read that, and I was about to post it. They both had 71 and 65 yards. Rayner threw in a 71 and 75. Crosby had a 73. I don't see the advantage. They both had virtually the same average, and Crosby made a longer FG than Rayner.

Willard
08-19-2007, 12:27 AM
I think Blackmon won the job, but he doesn't appear to be much of a burner. Did anybody notice how much faster Jason Hunter looked? He passed Blackmon trying to get into position to throw down a block. That dude is one fast DE!

cpk1994
08-19-2007, 12:27 AM

That is so much better than having to live with Longwell's kicks to the 20.

Willard
08-19-2007, 12:33 AM
It appears we have 2 NFL caliber kickers, not to mention 2 strong-legged punters. Field position could be a weapon all by itself this year.

RashanGary
08-19-2007, 12:48 AM
I think Bush is the nickleback. Blackmon returns and takes up the last CB spot.

BF4MVP
08-19-2007, 01:38 AM
There's a reaon he came within 200 yards of the NCAA's all-time record for return yardage. It's a shame he was hurt last year. We could've used him..

BallHawk
08-19-2007, 02:12 AM
If Blackmon asserts himself as the #1 KR, we could go and carry only 5 WR on the active roster; Driver, Jennings, Jones, Martin, and Holiday. That way we can allow an extra spot for somebody that actually could help on the field, the way that Bodiford and Clowney could not.

OS PA
08-19-2007, 03:11 AM
CB's will be Nickle - Bush, Dime - Walker, Quarter - Blackmon, although we only will run quarter in a prevent defense, considering we have two exceptional cover linebackers.

BallHawk
08-19-2007, 04:40 AM
As long as Patrick Dendy isn't in our secondary, I think we can mange with what we've got.