PDA

View Full Version : JJ live on post-game show

Partial
08-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Listen to it on WTMJ or that website that GraileeNewEngland posted.

b bulldog
08-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Your new starting WR for the Green Bay Packers.

GrnBay007
08-18-2007, 11:18 PM
He said he and Jennings are close ....coach will yell at him and Jennings will support him....good to hear.

b bulldog
08-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Great point, my hope is that greg doesn't sulk over JJ's new found stardom. It would be great to have Greg make enough plays to make the two spot a real tough decision for the brass to make.

Partial
08-18-2007, 11:21 PM
BBulldog do you really think he takes the 2 spot?

GrnBay007
08-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Hey, JJ's pretty funny too. ....talking about his call from the Packers.

....and about playing with Brett Favre.

**JJ** :clap:

b bulldog
08-18-2007, 11:24 PM
I've been reading that and hearing that for the past few weeks. Wilde thinks he should get it, hopefully it will be a 2a and 2b thing .

GrnBay007
08-18-2007, 11:24 PM
LOL talking about his first Lambeau Leap!! Gloves soaked with beer.

GrnBay007
08-18-2007, 11:25 PM
He gives a nice interview for a rookie.

b bulldog
08-18-2007, 11:28 PM
I always get a kick out of a rookie talking about his feel on the team. I wonder if the vets roll their eyes when they hear this.

Partial
08-18-2007, 11:29 PM

qft

cpk1994
08-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Yes, James, we do barbeque in 10 degree weather. :lol:

b bulldog
08-18-2007, 11:32 PM
One thing I get sick of is this crap that we are like Siberia. I once was a snowmobiler, warm temps and a lack of snow made me quit.

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2007, 11:33 PM
One ball thrown to Jennings tonight... on a late throw to the end zone. I wouldn't read too much into. Jones looks great, and I'm glad he's stepping up, but it's all about opportunties. I read more into things like the coaches saying that Jones has to do the little things better (apparently, he still runs the wrong routes at times... that won't wash with #4) and guys like Harris and Woodson talk about how great Jennings was immediately and Jones still has a lot to learn.

GrnBay007

qft

What does qft mean? quit f*ckin talking? lol

superfan
Those of you that heard it, would you mind posting a summary for those of us that didn't?

Partial
08-18-2007, 11:35 PM

qft

What does qft mean? quit f*ckin talking? lol

quoted for truth, I was trying to keep it short and sweet since I was holding my laptop on the bottom with my left hand and typing with my right. I am laying in a weird, yet surprisingly comfortable position.

Harlan Huckleby
08-18-2007, 11:35 PM
queef from titletown

Partial
08-18-2007, 11:36 PM
KGB is up now.

Technically, KGB is on pace for 16 sacks :D

superfan
08-18-2007, 11:41 PM
TMI - too much information.

quoted for truth, I was trying to keep it short and sweet since I was holding my laptop on the bottom with my left hand and typing with my right. I am laying in a weird, yet surprisingly comfortable position.

Translation - Partial is alt-tabbing back and forth between the GBP and the GC with one hand.

GrnBay007
One ball thrown to Jennings tonight... on a late throw to the end zone. I wouldn't read too much into. Jones looks great, and I'm glad he's stepping up, but it's all about opportunties. I read more into things like the coaches saying that Jones has to do the little things better (apparently, he still runs the wrong routes at times... that won't wash with #4) and guys like Harris and Woodson talk about how great Jennings was immediately and Jones still has a lot to learn.

I'm on the JJ bandwagon obviously, but I do think Jennings is still #2 without doubt. However, yes, opportunities matter, but we all know Brett picks up quickly on who he can and cannot trust. Appears he trusts JJ just like he did Jennings last year. Also, were Harris and Woodson talking up Jennings last year? I think they are going to say things to keep pushing JJ.....who would want to give a rookie a big head?

Partial

Translation - Partial is alt-tabbing back and forth between the GBP and the GC with one hand.

:lol: :oops:

Partial
08-18-2007, 11:43 PM

I'm on the JJ bandwagon obviously, but I do think Jennings is still #2 without doubt. However, yes, opportunities matter, but we all know Brett picks up quickly on who he can and cannot trust. Appears he trusts JJ just like he did Jennings last year. Also, were Harris and Woodson talking up Jennings last year? I think they are going to say things to keep pushing JJ.....who would want to give a rookie a big head?

I don't believe any teammates were, but coaches were like crazy. JJ ran one wrong route tonight, but he still looks very good. He is physical and an animal. Everytime the ball is thrown to him it seems like he wants to catch it more than anything in the world.

GrnBay007
08-18-2007, 11:43 PM

LOL!!

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Jennings got as much praise as any rookie that has come through these parts in awhile--from players and coaches. I'll try to dig up the articles. Here's what Al and Charles said a couple of weeks ago. I'm happy that both guys are on the team. If Jones end up being better than Jennings, we're going to have a mint top 3. As for Favre developing chemisty, Jennings was on pace for 1200 yards an 10 TDs last year--before the injury (not to mention dominating in the preseason).

Indeed, while veteran cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson have been supportive of the rookie, they're also holding him to a higher standard after seeing what Jennings did last year in camp.

"From what I've seen, he's got real good hands. But this is camp," Woodson said. "It was kind of different with Jennings last year, there was just something with him that everybody could just kind of see. Jones, he catches some good balls, but I've got to see him in the game."

Added Harris: "I wouldn't quite say he's like Jennings was, because Jennings, he really caught on really fast. He was real smooth in his routes. James works hard, and he's got very strong hands. He caught a slant on me the other day where he ran a good route. He just needs to do that more often — sell his routes better, be crisper. But he catches the ball very, very well. I haven't seen him drop a pass."

GrnBay007
08-19-2007, 12:10 AM
Jennings was on pace for 1200 yards an 10 TDs last year--before the injury (not to mention dominating in the preseason).

Who knows till we are well into the season. The on pace for ....."before the injury" means nothing until it's a done deal. Jennings was awesome early last year. I hope he does stay healthy and Jones contributes also...Packers will have 3 weapons on O.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2007, 12:23 AM
Jones could have the same thing happen to him. It's not like Jennings was injury prone, at all, in college. Until then, it's just an injury to me--unless it happens again and/or Jones makes it through the season healthy.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2007, 12:27 AM
Who knows till we are well into the season. The on pace for ....."before the injury" means nothing until it's a done deal. Jennings was awesome early last year. I hope he does stay healthy and Jones contributes also...Packers will have 3 weapons on O.

It has to mean something. Jennings put up those numbers in real games, and you are right, he was very good before the injury. Woodson doesn't have an interception, Driver had 3 drops, Favre has looked ordinary, Clifton had a holding penalty, and Kampman doesn't have a sack in the preseason. I won't worry about them--just like I won't worry about Jennings (to a lesser extent). I'm just saying that I'd hold off on the Jones is better than Jennings talk until we have real games. The first time he runs a wrong route, and Favre throws a pick because of it, your tune may change.

GrnBay007
08-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Jones could have the same thing happen to him. It's not like Jennings was injury prone, at all, in college. Until then, it's just an injury to me--unless it happens again and/or Jones makes it through the season healthy.

It "could" happen to any player at any time. Jennings was not injury prone, but he sure didn't make any noise last season AFTER he came back from his injury. I hope Jennings has a good year....and Jones as well. Nothing wrong with both of them succeeding, right?

GrnBay007
08-19-2007, 12:38 AM
hold off on the Jones is better than Jennings talk until we have real games. The first time he runs a wrong route, and Favre throws a pick because of it, your tune may change.

I never said Jones is better than Jennings. I'm just excited we have a rookie WR doing well.....just as I felt last year with Jennings. May the best man make #2. ...which I expect will be Jennings. As far as him running the wrong route, will he be the first ever? nope.

RashanGary
08-19-2007, 12:50 AM
We'll see how Jennings performs in the regular season. I find it odd how he just disappeared, but maybe that X position really is a bad spot to play. Driver said he played a couple snaps and it was like he wasn't even in the play. He said he didn't want to play it again. That's all Jennings plays. I'm not going to worry aobut Jennings until 3 games into the reg season. If he's still not getting anything then I'll start talking about JJ taking the #2. As for now, I'm just glad JJ looks as good as he has. Both of them stepping up and playing good would be great.

Scott Campbell
08-19-2007, 09:38 AM
hold off on the Jones is better than Jennings talk until we have real games. The first time he runs a wrong route, and Favre throws a pick because of it, your tune may change.

I never said Jones is better than Jennings. I'm just excited we have a rookie WR doing well.....just as I felt last year with Jennings. May the best man make #2. ...which I expect will be Jennings. As far as him running the wrong route, will he be the first ever? nope.

The thing we seem to like most about Jones so far is also what we always hated about Fergy - how he fights for the ball.

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Rookie Jones likely won't start despite solid play
By Rob Demovsky

As good as James Jones has been as a rookie receiver for the Green Bay Packers, there's probably little chance coach Mike McCarthy will throw him into the starting lineup anytime soon.

The third-round draft pick from San Jose State had another eye-opening performance on Saturday against the Seattle Seahawks in preseason game No. 2. He improved upon what has been a solid summer of work on the practice field by putting up almost unheard-of numbers for a rookie at his position.

Jones caught four passes for 58 yards and two touchdowns. A week earlier, he caught a team-high six passes for 58 yards in the preseason opener at Pittsburgh. A week before that, he caught two balls for 26 yards in the Family Night scrimmage at Lambeau Field.

All summer, Jones has been lauded for his sturdy hands. Saturday against the Seahawks was perhaps the greatest evidence of them. He plucked a ball from inches above the ground with his right hand and shifted it to his left to secure a 7-yard touchdown pass from backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers. That came after his 16-yard touchdown catch and run on a drag route from Brett Favre and a sparkling sideline catch for 32 yards on a go-route from Favre.

"You talk about guys stepping up and making a play," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "The one down the sideline could have gone either way, and he competed for the ball and obviously got his feet down and made a tough catch. It looked like he produced pretty well."

Jones' play during camp and the first two preseason games has matched — if not bettered — what receiver Greg Jennings did as a rookie a year ago, when he won a starting job.

"Jones was a pretty good player in college," Packers General Manager Ted Thompson said on Sunday. "He seems to like to play the game. He doesn't seem awed by it, and he's got strong hands."

Why, then, wouldn't Philbin and McCarthy consider elevating him into the starting lineup?

The coaches have schooled Jones primarily in the "Z" or flanker position — the same spot played by Pro Bowler Donald Driver — and haven't used him often at the "X" or split-end spot that Jennings has played.

"I'm at 'Z' right now, and that's where I'm most comfortable," Jones said. "They've pretty much left me there, but I do know 'X' and 'Z' because you've got to know both of those spots."

Two of Jones' three big plays against the Seahawks came out of personnel groupings other than the base (two-receiver) set. His 16-yard touchdown catch was out of a three-receiver set, and his deep sideline catch came from four wides. In the three-receiver set, Driver typically moves inside to the slot position, meaning Jones assumes Driver's "Z" position.

"We've left him exclusively at flanker," McCarthy said. "He's benefited from those opportunities. He's done a nice job. He catches everything that hits his hands. He's a physical guy that will only get stronger."

Jones hasn't been without his faults. On his 16-yard touchdown catch against Seattle, he lined up incorrectly and only a savvy adjustment by Driver made the play go off without a hitch. Jones lined up too tight to the left side of the offensive line, leaving little room for Driver, who went in motion from right to left. Just before the snap, Driver told Jones to switch routes with him.

"I had a few mistakes," Jones said. "I definitely have to clean that up. But I caught the ball pretty well. I just need to limit my mistakes."

There are two preseason games left if the Packers wanted to try pairing Jones with Driver in the base offense, but at this point, it appears they still believe Jennings will be productive like he was early last season before an ankle injury slowed him. Jennings also has more experience playing multiple positions. Last year, he played "X" in the base offense but moved to the "Z" in three-receiver sets.

Jennings hasn't had a catch in either of the preseason games and hasn't made many big plays during practice so far perhaps because he hasn't had many balls thrown his way.

"I'm not disappointed in his play," McCarthy said of Jennings. "It's more about opportunities. I'm not calling plays to get the ball to certain people. You're looking at different combinations. Greg should not be disappointed about his opportunities. I'm sure he is. He's a true competitor. Greg Jennings will get the football."

Carolina_Packer
08-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Man, I just love it for Brett if he's got three legit options to go to. If Bubba can bounce back, and our RB can catch passes out of the backfield, make that 5 options. Nice. That's exactly what they need. We'll see how it plays out.

I hope they all succeed, that they all pull together and that they all stay healthy!

LL2
08-20-2007, 12:56 PM
If Bubba can bounce back,

It's starting to look like Bubba is returning to form. He caught a few passes in the Seahawks game. Having a good TE again will help the entire offense.

Deputy Nutz
08-20-2007, 04:21 PM
The Packers are in a position to have to play a lot of 3 receiver sets, and two tight end sets because they lack depth at fullback right now. So Jones and Jennings are going to be seeing the field quite a bit.

Jennings has not been happy with his role in camp, and the way he is positioned in the offense. he is all alone on the weak side of the formation and the claim is that he is the fourth or fifth option on alignment alone. I don't buy it completely because he should be getting a lot of one on one matchups. Still they want the younger players situated in roles that best suit their abilities and learning capabilities, Jones may shine early, but that is only going to shift the attention of opposing defenses.

HarveyWallbangers
08-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Sounds like Jennings is starting to get the ball a lot more. Of course, a lot of this has to do with Double D being out. He's making plays now that he's getting opportunities. If Jennings plays like he did the first 6 weeks last year, Driver is okay, and Jones is for real (all of which seem like good possibilities), I like our WR corps.

THUMBS UP

Aside from a couple of passes by Brett Favre that had a little bit too much juice on short patterns, practice Sunday was very sharp for the quarterbacks, especially with deep passes.

Favre, Aaron Rodgers and Paul Thompson each completed at least one pass of more than 20 yards. Wide receiver Greg Jennings, looking much more confident, caught three of the bombs, two coming from Favre. Ruvell Martin (two) and David Clowney also got behind the secondary. The highlight came in the 2-minute drill, when James Jones flew past cornerback Frank Walker down the right sideline and hauled in a 43-yard pass from Favre to the 6-yard line. The offense could not capitalize, however, as two runs and two incomplete passes turned the ball over on downs.

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Jennings appears to be the go to receiver when Driver is out.

And in the only competitive 11-on-11 period, Brett Favre was 3-for-4 with a 7-yard touchdown strike to Greg Jennings.

Somebody sniped Jennings from me in a fantasy league that I have Driver, so I ended up taking Jones late.

Him8123
08-27-2007, 04:54 PM
You cant help but love this guy ("JJ"), truly humble and funny. Gonna be a great Packer. Best of luck!!!!