PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers

superfan
08-18-2007, 11:50 PM
At the time he was drafted, I was pretty happy with the pick, considering a potential #1 overall pick had "fallen" to us. (copyright Brady Quinn, 2007)

I've been up and down on the pick since then. One thing I will say is that this is the first time in a long time I've been confident that we could even win a game should the unthinkable happen - the unthinkable being Favre going down with an injury.

Yes, preseason games don't really matter, but at least Rodgers is showing this year that he can play NFL football. Ever since Hasselbeck left, I have felt that a Favre injury would be disastrous. Now, a number of factors are there that indicate that GB can be at least competitive should Favre go down - a decent QB waiting to take his spot, a very solid defense, and some semblance of a running game.

The post-Favre era is beginning to look brighter.

Willard
08-18-2007, 11:54 PM
I get the feeling AR knows the MM version of the WCO better than Favre, and he prolly has a better feel for his receivers right now as well. He must get better in the pocket though. Favre is a master of avoiding the rush with subtle step ups in the pocket. AR must get better radar fast, and hold onto the rock. But I agree, we could win with AR.

cpk1994
08-18-2007, 11:54 PM
Don't let the "ARod is a bust" camp hear that. Incidently, that camp has been very silent this year so far. :lol:

GrnBay007
08-18-2007, 11:59 PM
A-Rod can have it in 2009. Until then........as GBR would say.....

http://clipart.peirceinternet.com/png/clipboard.png

GBRulz
08-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Right on, sista !!!

:tup:

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Rodgers has now played two CONSECUTIVE good games. If he plays well the last to pre-season games, then I will get excited about him.

Scott Campbell
08-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Rodgers has now played two CONSECUTIVE good games. If he plays well the last to pre-season games, then I will get excited about him.

When was the last time Favre played well in 4 consecutive games?

b bulldog
08-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Rodgers will be the QB in 08.

GBRulz
08-19-2007, 08:59 AM

When was the last time Rodgers played in 1 regular season game without getting hurt?

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-19-2007, 09:02 AM

Sometime back in 04 :?:

Scott Campbell
08-19-2007, 09:02 AM

When was the last time Rodgers played in 1 regular season game without getting hurt?

My comments had nothing to do with durability.

If you're going to wait until Rodgers has 4 consecutive preseason games to get excited, you might be holding the bar a little beyond the reach of decent production. He's flashed. He hasn't flashed before. It's a good thing.

falco
08-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Here's my feeling on the team.

We're good, getting better, but still young. In another year or two, these young players should have developed into a strong team. Especially the receivers and offensive line. If Jackson is a player and everything gels, we could potentially give Favre another shot at the big game. It probably wouldn't be until next year.

On the other hand, if Rodgers starts playing next year, he can take over the team and grow with them as well. I could see him making the playoffs or coming close with the talent we have. I could almost picture it like the run we had we Favre in the early 90s. Getting better every year, making it to the playoffs but losing, making it to the divisional game, making it to the conference game, etc. It was like we were constantly knocking on the door and getting closer.

In other words, I think we have a shot if Favre comes back next year. If he doesn't, I think we have a shot 2-3 years down the road. The only question is which is better. I think if Favre leaves, Rodgers gets field experience quicker, and his performance overall will be better.

Its nice to sit here and talk about, but for a team that only just won a preseason game its a lot of wishful thinking.

RashanGary
08-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Rodgers looks like a player. He looked calm under pressure, atheltic when he needs to be, strong armed, decisive, poised and accurate. He's got everythign you need in a QB and a good coach to teach him the game.

Favre is still here and I'm happy to win with Favre but Rodgers looks like he could be a winner and Favre is old so we need to start looking at the next guy. Listening to the women here knock Rodgers it just reminds me how emotional and blind people can be when they fall in love with a player. No wonder people complain about how TT is building. People really do have an emotional attachement to Favre that prevents any type of rational thought.

falco
08-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Rodgers looks like a player. He looked calm under pressure, atheltic when he needs to be, strong armed, decisive, poised and accurate. He's got everythign you need in a QB and a good coach to teach him the game.

Favre is still here and I'm happy to win with Favre but Rodgers looks like he could be a winner and Favre is old so we need that. Listening to the women here knock Rodgers it just reminds me how emotional and blind people can be when they fall in love with a player. No wonder people complain about how TT is building. People really do have an emotional attachement to Favre that prevents any type of intellignt thought.

Rodgers fumbles bothered me. However, the first was a bad snap. Favre has lost bad snaps, this one we just didn't recover. The second was poor protection. Favre has fumbled plenty of times when getting hit from behind like that.

I actually like watching Rodgers play better than Favre. Not saying Rodgers is better. For some reason I just enjoy watching him.

Scott Campbell
08-19-2007, 09:08 AM
People really do have an emotional attachement to Favre............

People had an emotional attachment to Green too. And Gilbert. It's a pretty natural thing for most people.

But Ted can't.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-19-2007, 09:09 AM

My comments had nothing to do with durability.

If you're going to wait until Rodgers has 4 consecutive preseason games to get excited, you might be holding the bar a little beyond the reach of decent production. He's flashed. He hasn't flashed before. It's a good thing.

How is playing four good pre-season games in a players third year holding the bar to high? I agree he played well, but for me it means nothing if you can't do it consistently. Am not sitting trying to compare him to Favre or anything, but I would imagine that Favre could play 10 consecutive good games against 2nd string defensive players. The QB of the Seahawks and Texans are starting today because of what they did in the preseason.

falco
08-19-2007, 09:09 AM
People really do have an emotional attachement to Favre............

People had an emotional attachment to Green too. And Gilbert. It's a pretty natural thing for most people.

But Ted can't.

Ted can't because Ted needs to have an emotional attachment to his job, i.e. his paycheck. An unhealthy attachment to a player might get in the way. Sort of like a teachers unhealthy attachment to a student might get in the way of their paycheck.

b bulldog
08-19-2007, 09:16 AM
I'd be fine if Brett comes back next season as long as nobody is listed as the starting QB on the first day of camp until it is earned. In 08, let the best man win!!!! Nobody should have a problem with that.

Scott Campbell
08-19-2007, 09:18 AM
I agree he played well, but for me it means nothing if you can't do it consistently.

First off, he can only play against the guys he's lined up against. It's not his fault they line up 2's against him much of the time. That just comes with the territory when you follow a HOFer.

Secondly, Favre built a HOF career arguably without much consistancy. He played so well when he was on that everyone was more than willing to give him a pass when he had his periodic stinkers. And there's no denying that he had him - George Blanda is undoubtedly relieved.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-19-2007, 09:19 AM
I'd be fine if Brett comes back next season as long as nobody is listed as the starting QB on the first day of camp until it is earned. In 08, let the best man win!!!! Nobody should have a problem with that.

I have a problem with that.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2007, 09:20 AM
I'd be fine if Brett comes back next season as long as nobody is listed as the starting QB on the first day of camp until it is earned.

What if Favre lights it up this year?

RashanGary
08-19-2007, 09:24 AM

That would be fair. I think Favre would probably win though.

falco
08-19-2007, 09:26 AM

It may be fair. But in this organization it would never happen. Thompson and McCarthy would have a revolt on their hands. Sure, they may not care what the fans think, but only to a point.

If Favre was playing horribly, they may have an excuse. But I think if they felt that Favre wasn't going to start, they'd find a way to let him know in the offseason. Some people may accuse them of running him out of town, but at least it will be done behind closed doors and there will only be speculation.

RashanGary
08-19-2007, 09:31 AM
True, if Brett has a bad year this year (I dont' think he will), then follows it up with a bad TC and preseason while Rodgers shines, I think it would be GREAT if Favre would just hang them up instead of forcing the Packers to cut him. The fans are not rational and it would be more chaos than necessary. Hopefully Favre has enough wisdom to know when to hang it up.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-19-2007, 09:33 AM
First off, he can only play against the guys he's lined up against. It's not his fault they line up 2's against him much of the time. That just comes with the territory when you follow a HOFer.

I never faulted him for playing good, you brought up Favre and that why I said Favre could play consistent games against second stingers, it was not a shot at Rodgers. I just said I want him to play good all through out pre-season. I like Rodgers, I just want to see more good games to get excited about him.

Spaulding
08-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Favre is still able to do things that few other quarterbacks in the league can. I think when you boil it down to the basics, Rodgers is likely less apt to make that chuck deep into double/triple coverage that can kill you but on the other hand with the game on the line there is still no other quarterback I'd rather have in the pocket than Favre.

I think it's only right that unless Favre completely tanks this year that he should automatically be the starter next year going into the season if he comes back.

Who knows though, we could see another Bledsoe/Brady event where Favre goes down temporarily the team becomes hot under Rodgers and drives into the playoffs. Not likely but possible I guess.

Brandon494
08-19-2007, 09:44 AM
AR has been looking very well BUT its still preseason. I think we should lay off the comments of him starting over Favre though, he isnt that good yet.

GBRulz
08-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Even if Favre retires after this year, I still think another QB should be brought in to compete with Rodgers for the starting job. Not so much because of a lack of faith in Rodgers, but competition is only going to make him work harder. He was handed the backup position before he deserved it, IMO - the same should not be said of starting.

falco
08-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Even if Favre retires after this year, I still think another QB should be brought in to compete with Rodgers for the starting job. Not so much because of a lack of faith in Rodgers, but competition is only going to make him work harder. He was handed the backup position before he deserved it, IMO - the same should not be said of starting.

Agreed. Even Favre had legitimate competition when he first was starting.

GBRulz
08-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Let's finish the preseason strong and have that to build on when the Eagles come to town. If we have a ton of good depth and argue about who should start, etc.... that is an argument that I think we can all agree is good to have.

CaliforniaCheez
08-19-2007, 10:28 AM
So what if 77% of Seattle's points came off Rodgers fumbles??

and he held the ball too long in the pocket?

His "passer" rating was over 100.

RashanGary
08-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Competition is a good thing for everyone, including Favre.

falco
08-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Competition is a good thing for everyone, including Favre.

I thought you might have been lambasted for that post. Nice recovery.

RashanGary
08-19-2007, 10:33 AM
haha, I get tired of the mob mentality against certain things. Sometimes I let it get the best of me :)

Rodgers deserves a chance. It bothers me to see people who despise him for what he represents more than for what he does.

Scott Campbell
08-19-2007, 10:44 AM
It bothers me to see people who despise him for what he represents more than for what he does.

I hear ya. I see a lot of "I hate Ted, therefore I have to hate Rodgers".

Bretsky
08-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Up to this point Rodgers is putting together a Hasslebeck like pre season

The Shadow
08-19-2007, 10:49 AM

Be careful, Scott. To the Cult, this is like waving a red flag at a bull.

GBRulz
08-19-2007, 10:55 AM
hmm, now it's a cult :roll:

Scott Campbell
08-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Well if it is a cult, I want in. I'm a huge fan of Favre's.

I didn't say it to point out Brett's faults. I said it to point out that some people are holding Aaron to a standard that our HOFer has a hard time attaining.

b bulldog
08-19-2007, 11:01 AM
From what I've been reading and hearing on the radio, ARod has had the better camp but I know he won't start this year unless an injury takes Brett out. IMO, the two are very comprable in talent. Brett brings the intangibles of a vet QB and is still a middle of the road QB while ARod is unproven but is much more athletic and seems to be taking control of what he can.

Bretsky
08-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Well if it is a cult, I want in. I'm a huge fan of Favre's.

I didn't say it to point out Brett's faults. I said it to point out that some people are holding Aaron to a standard that our HOFer has a hard time attaining.

It sure doesn't come accross that way. I keep reminding my wife......believe it or not, I really can't read your mind so if you mean something just say it

So now do we have to figure out what you mean too ? :lol: :lol:

Bretsky
08-19-2007, 11:04 AM
From what I've been reading and hearing on the radio, ARod has had the better camp but I know he won't start this year unless an injury takes Brett out. IMO, the two are very comprable in talent. Brett brings the intangibles of a vet QB and is still a middle of the road QB while ARod is unproven but is much more athletic and seems to be taking control of what he can.

I'm just curious because I read all of the Packer article and listen to Packer radio all of the time.

Where exactly have you been hearing and reading that Rodgers is having the better training camp ???

b bulldog
08-19-2007, 11:07 AM
107.5 in the morning is probably where I've heard it the most. They commented last week that during twoo practices, Brett was under 50% and threw 4 pics while Rodgers was around 75% and threw 4 td's and one pic. The guy on the pregame show on TMJ, not Michaels or Dennis but the other guy noted that Rodgers has had the better camp and that he thinks ARod will start in 08. Just remembered, it was Bill Scott.

b bulldog
08-19-2007, 11:14 AM
MCCarren even noted yesterday that Brett has been up and down this camp.

jvandehey19
08-19-2007, 11:23 AM
The next time Rodgers hits a receiver in stride will be the first time. Then you all can vote him into the HOF.

b bulldog
08-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Clever comment, his play so far speaks for itself. Hopefully he can get some time with the ones to see how he would do with them. Very hard to judge him until he is going against the oppossing teams ones with our ones.

Cheesehead Craig
08-19-2007, 11:37 AM
The radio guys last night were saying how Rodgers has improved his play every year he has been with the Packers and he's done it with very little playing time, which is really surprising. Larry McCarren stated that he was very down on Rodgers from when he was drafted. But now he has seen tremendous improvement and is really starting to like the guy.

I think Rodgers is going to continue to shine and be a very solid QB. For the 2nd Q when he was in there, many of the 1st string def players were in still from what it sounded like on the radio and he did pretty well (when not fumbling).

cpk1994
08-19-2007, 11:47 AM
The next time Rodgers hits a receiver in stride will be the first time. Then you all can vote him into the HOF.Well you missed last nights game then. The ball he threw to Jones up the sideline. The one the ref ruled an incompletion but later overturned was in stride.

esoxx
08-19-2007, 11:58 AM
I was most impressed with Rodgers TD pass to Jones. Showed a lot of zip and accuracy on the pass. Jones was covered but Rodgers made the play. It showed me he's capable of making plays instead of just "taking what the defense gives him."

The "taking what the defense gives them" QB's are a dime a dozen and nothing special. They need great players and defense to succeed (see Trent Dilfer in Balt 2000 as just one example). All dink and dunk which spells M-E-D-I-C-O-R-E.

Rodgers showed me on that play he has some potential beyond the dink and dunk crowd of pedestrian QB's out there. Hopefully it wasn't just an illusion but rather a preview of things to come down the road.

LL2
08-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Rodgers will be the QB in 08.

I agree and I think we will be alright with Rodgers. The thing is if the PAck will 10 or 11 games Favre might be tempted to come back.

4and12to12and4
08-19-2007, 06:52 PM
The talk of AR beating out Favre as the starting QB is a friggin joke. I agree that AR FINALLY is showing that he might be a successful QB in this league. His passes are more accurate and decisive, his arm strength is obviously improved, and he probably knows the playbook backwards by heart. Having said all that, his instincts in the pocket are sadly inferior to Brett's. He would be getting sacked two to three times a game IMO. And Favre's arm is still stronger than his even at the age of 38, which is unreal. Favre takes more chances then him, but he has the talent to zip it into triple coverage even at this point in his career. AR is much improved, but I don't see him surpassing Favre any time soon, barring injury. Brett's our man. Those here who want AR in are out of you're minds. We have one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game on our sidelines, and he hasn't lost much these past few years. He still has all the tools to have a great season, and he is WAY more savvy in the pocket than AR. He avoids potential sacks constantly because of his great pocket instincts. I hope AR sits two more years, and Brett leads us back to the SB next year. With our defense, if we stay healthy, it is plausible. Our run defense may end up being top three in the NFL this year, and if our corners stay healthy, we could actually have a better defense than the Bears, because they make plays, but can't stop the run. I'm so excited to watch our defense dominate teams this year. I saw schemes and plays in that Seattle game that I had never seen before. Now that most of our defense is in the third year of the same scheme, the comfort level will allow for more deceit and big play potential. Watching them in that 1st quarter was awesome. EVERYONE was making plays. I know it's preseason, but we are so far ahead of where we were last year at this time, it's very exciting to see.

Scott Campbell
08-19-2007, 06:56 PM
And Favre's arm is still stronger than his even at the age of 38, which is unreal.

With Vick out, is there anyone in the league with a stronger arm than Favre?

retailguy
08-19-2007, 07:16 PM
And Favre's arm is still stronger than his even at the age of 38, which is unreal.

Vick had a strong arm? I thought his arm strength was just average and his claim to fame was that he was really a running back?

Harlan Huckleby
08-19-2007, 07:22 PM
Vick's arm is gonna be awesome on the prison football team. He's gonna be a legend - the new Burt Reynolds.

4and12to12and4
08-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Vick does have a strong, inaccurate arm. He threw the ball over 70 yards in one of the Probowl events a couple of years ago, and he has a pretty good lazer too. But Favre's arm strength and accuracy can only be compared to one other QB I've seen play, Mr. John Elway. He had a rocket, and very, very similar throwing style, being able to make things happen out of the pocket. Know one else that I can think of even comes close.

retailguy
08-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Vick does have a strong, inaccurate arm. He threw the ball over 70 yards in one of the Probowl events a couple of years ago, and he has a pretty good lazer too. But Favre's arm strength and accuracy can only be compared to one other QB I've seen play, Mr. John Elway. He had a rocket, and very, very similar throwing style, being able to make things happen out of the pocket. Know one else that I can think of even comes close.

I still remember Favre pitching that thing 70 yards with a BROKEN thumb a few years back.

I agree, other than Elway, no one comes close.

4and12to12and4
08-19-2007, 07:30 PM
I remember that too. That was unbelievable. Do you ccnsider Favre the best overall QB to have ever put a chin strap on? I do.

retailguy
08-19-2007, 07:34 PM
I remember that too. That was unbelievable. Do you ccnsider Favre the best overall QB to have ever put a chin strap on? I do.

Well, in the top 5 without question. but there are a few old timers that could've gone toe to toe with him, and as much as I despise John Elway, he comes close. Joe Montana was no slouch either.

I'll always be a Favre fan though. Always.

4and12to12and4
08-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Yeah, it's hard to judge the old timers, too many differences in competion and size and speed differential. But, as great a Elway was, I put Favre above him, even though their close in many ways, because of the ironman record. Favre's played through some unbelievable injuries. ( I know the Vicadin helped, but whatever). His ironman record is what puts him ahead in my book. Guys like Marino and Montana aren't even close, because Marino had no run game or defense, so he passed constantly, quickest release ever, but couldn't even move out of the pocket. Plus, never won a Superbowl. Montana had WAY too many great players and coaches around him with a new scheme that teams were battling to figure out, so he was more of a product of those around him. I know he was the best at keeping his cool at high intensity moments, but he just didn't have near the tools Favre has, and if Jerry Rice and Co. played with Favre, Brett would've probably won 5 SB's. IMO. Maybe I'm just a homer.

4and12to12and4
08-19-2007, 08:00 PM
I will say that right now, pure throwing talent alone, Carson Palmer is the creme of the crop. The guy can flat out throw the ball anywhere on the field with accuracy. But, that's only one part of a QB's job.

The Shadow
08-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Vick's arm is gonna be awesome on the prison football team. He's gonna be a legend - the new Burt Reynolds.

It won't be his arm that draws the most attention.

b bulldog
08-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Cutler has an awesome arm. The kid from Cal who was drafted by the ravens a few years back(Boller) could throw a ball from his knees through the uprights from 50 yards. The most overrated stat involving QB's is arm strength. Jeff George probably could still throw it with anybody.

Cheesehead Craig
08-20-2007, 07:36 AM
The talk of AR beating out Favre as the starting QB is a friggin joke. I agree that AR FINALLY is showing that he might be a successful QB in this league. His passes are more accurate and decisive, his arm strength is obviously improved, and he probably knows the playbook backwards by heart. Having said all that, his instincts in the pocket are sadly inferior to Brett's. He would be getting sacked two to three times a game IMO. And Favre's arm is still stronger than his even at the age of 38, which is unreal. Favre takes more chances then him, but he has the talent to zip it into triple coverage even at this point in his career. AR is much improved, but I don't see him surpassing Favre any time soon, barring injury. Brett's our man. Those here who want AR in are out of you're minds. We have one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game on our sidelines, and he hasn't lost much these past few years. He still has all the tools to have a great season, and he is WAY more savvy in the pocket than AR. He avoids potential sacks constantly because of his great pocket instincts. I hope AR sits two more years, and Brett leads us back to the SB next year. With our defense, if we stay healthy, it is plausible. Our run defense may end up being top three in the NFL this year, and if our corners stay healthy, we could actually have a better defense than the Bears, because they make plays, but can't stop the run. I'm so excited to watch our defense dominate teams this year. I saw schemes and plays in that Seattle game that I had never seen before. Now that most of our defense is in the third year of the same scheme, the comfort level will allow for more deceit and big play potential. Watching them in that 1st quarter was awesome. EVERYONE was making plays. I know it's preseason, but we are so far ahead of where we were last year at this time, it's very exciting to see.
I don't think anyone said to bench Favre and play A-Rod. I think most are voicing that life post-Favre is looking better.

Zool
08-20-2007, 07:52 AM

Vick had a strong arm? I thought his arm strength was just average and his claim to fame was that he was really a running back?
Actually Byron Leftwich won the last QB distance competition that I watched. Huge arm on him.

wist43
08-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Don't let the "ARod is a bust" camp hear that. Incidently, that camp has been very silent this year so far. :lol:

I'm firmly in the AR is a bust camp, and haven't been silent about it. :)

Not much to complain about in this preseason game though; but then again, I've only watched it once, and didn't pay very close attn at that.

That said, Rodgers had a couple of costly miscues - two mistakes that led directly to 10 pts for the Seahawks. He did make a couple of decent tosses... my opinion of Rodgers hasn't changed.

Packers4Ever
08-20-2007, 01:36 PM
True, if Brett has a bad year this year (I dont' think he will), then follows it up with a bad TC and preseason while Rodgers shines, I think it would be GREAT if Favre would just hang them up instead of forcing the Packers to cut him. The fans are not rational and it would be more chaos than necessary. Hopefully Favre has enough wisdom to know when to hang it up.

Do you all realize we're suddenly talking about Brett's retiring and

leaving much more frequently than we were a month or 6 weeks ago?

Even less than that......

I honestly believe Brett would see the signs, and yes, he does have the

wisdom to hang it up.

But I still find it hard to accept. :(

woodbuck27
08-20-2007, 02:54 PM

It may be fair. But in this organization it would never happen. Thompson and McCarthy would have a revolt on their hands. Sure, they may not care what the fans think, but only to a point.

If Fa

vre was playing horribly, they may have an excuse. But I think if they felt that Favre wasn't going to start, they'd find a way to let him know in the offseason. Some people may accuse them of running him out of town, but at least it will be done behind closed doors and there will only be speculation.

Then nothing will change fr. 2004 till this season into 2008. :)

FLASH !!!!! AN IDEA !!! :thank:

Why doesn't TT just simply get down to it and give Brett Favre some real help on offense for 2008? Especially after he defies all odds and plays outstanding with dickall to work with, and in the face of obvious adversity before our TC began?It's going to be a tough ole road this season.Possibly worse than 2004 when you consider the gains we are seeing on 'D'.

TT had such an excellent opportunity to get us back to respectability this season and his agenda is and has been to not support Brett Favre as our QB.

It's damnable obvious Packer fans.

Our offense has clearly been set up to fail this season.The Packers cannot control the game and the clock unless we have a solid running game. Opposition defenses will soon realize that the pass is our only real out on 'O'.

Then. . . lights out Packer fans.

swede
08-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Our offense has clearly been set up to fail this season.The Packers cannot control the game and the clock unless we have a solid running game. Opposition defenses will soon realize that the pass is our only real out on 'O'.

Then. . . lights out Packer fans.

Maybe we should just forfeit our games and save ourselves the trouble and embarrassment of watching Driver, Jennings, Jones, Colledge, Spitz, and all the other "dickalls" (whatever that is) failing.

I guess I'd rather watch my favorite team play and hope for the best.

Brohm
08-20-2007, 03:20 PM
I think there are a lot of unknown that we have. However, I do not think the offense is set up to fail. The burden to succeed definateley falls on the shoulders of our young draftees. I would say though that the "veteran" presense is there with Farve, Clifton, Tauscher, Driver and Franks. I think we should have kept Green, but it has been shown numerous times that RB is one place on offense where a rookie can make an impact. I hope TT has dug up a gem with Jackson.

woodbuck27
08-20-2007, 03:22 PM
I don't think anyone said to bench Favre and play A-Rod. I think most are voicing that life post-Favre is looking better.

It's not looking better at the key position for any NFL franchise or QB.

Who seriously believes that we could be so lucky to have a College QB fall what. . . 26 places in the draft, right into the will and hands of Ted Thompson?

Aaron Rodgers has so far to go before he will fall under the category as a legitimate franchise QB it's not likely that he will.

Aaron rodgers has looked terrible against the best players the opposition can offer. He has demonstrated onlt one thing. He's not too bad when not under any heat.

Put heat on him and he busts like a balloon.The evidence isn't in as yet that he'll succeed Favre with any assurance of success.

He looked decent in TC last season as I recall, and it became evident to some fans that he was well on his way to becoming a real winner at QB. He has a long ways to go. If he was ready at the first opportunity TT would make MM start him.

This baloney about TT and MM hiding behind closed doors to spell FaVRE'S FEELINGS OR EGO IS SUCH A LOAD OF CRAP.

It's set up now to take favre out. Then there's Aaron Rodgers and good luck.

cpk1994
08-21-2007, 06:32 AM

I'm firmly in the AR is a bust camp, and haven't been silent about it. :)

Not much to complain about in this preseason game though; but then again, I've only watched it once, and didn't pay very close attn at that.

That said, Rodgers had a couple of costly miscues - two mistakes that led directly to 10 pts for the Seahawks. He did make a couple of decent tosses... my opinion of Rodgers hasn't changed.

Two miscues that weren't entirely his fault. One was a bad snap and the other was a total breakdown of the O-line. And notice that both miscues was with the second unit. The drive he had with the first unit he was fine.

But suprising that your opinion doesn't change at all because even the slightest change would force you to admit you might be wrong about a guy. And of course that means one less reason to be able to hate TT.

MJZiggy
08-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Buck, have you SEEN Rodgers play yet this preseason?

Zool
08-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Seems to me that a couple decent QB's have "fallen" in the draft before and turned out alright. Some of them even played rather poorly in their first season or 2.

cpk1994
08-21-2007, 09:08 AM

Who seriously believes that we could be so lucky to have a College QB fall what. . . 26 places in the draft, right into the will and hands of Ted Thompson?

Aaron Rodgers has so far to go before he will fall under the category as a legitimate franchise QB it's not likely that he will.

Aaron rodgers has looked terrible against the best players the opposition can offer. He has demonstrated onlt one thing. He's not too bad when not under any heat.

Put heat on him and he busts like a balloon.The evidence isn't in as yet that he'll succeed Favre with any assurance of success.

He looked decent in TC last season as I recall, and it became evident to some fans that he was well on his way to becoming a real winner at QB. He has a long ways to go. If he was ready at the first opportunity TT would make MM start him.

This baloney about TT and MM hiding behind closed doors to spell FaVRE'S FEELINGS OR EGO IS SUCH A LOAD OF CRAP.

It's set up now to take favre out. Then there's Aaron Rodgers and good luck.But thre is no evidence he will go out and be a complete failure, which is obviously what you want. You didn't like the pcik, so you cheapen ANY progress he has made to justify your position.

TT would make MM start ARod if he was ready? ARE YOU ON CRACK? That my friend, to quote Bill Michaels, is a "steaming pant load". Favre has done nothing to warrant losing his job even if Rodgers was ready. TT would have to be completely out of his mind due ti narcotics, a real egotistical SOB, or not even care about keeping his job to do even REMOTELY contemplate that. What an assinine statement to make.

Im happy that Rodgers is making improvements and I am becoming less worried about the QB position after Favre. Because as Brad JOhnson and Trent Dilfer proved, you don't nessecarily need a franchise QB to win a Super Bowl.

fan4life
08-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Its no secret that I'm a real fan of Favre's game (love his competitive, risk-taking, dare to win style) and will hate to see him retire. But that day WILL come, and someone else will start under center for the Green Bay Packers. I, for one, am happy to see Rodgers starting to look like he could be the one.

But he's not there, yet.

TT's moves to strengthen the defense are starting to look impressive. And Favre seems to "get" that he's no longer being asked to carry the team by scoring 35 points while also playing for ball possession. If Favre continues to adjust his game, he could be on track for a great year (or two) and Rodgers will ride the bench. But Rodgers is still only 23 years old... time is on his side, not Favre's.

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Its no secret that I'm a real fan of Favre's game (love his competitive, risk-taking, dare to win style) and will hate to see him retire. But that day WILL come, and someone else will start under center for the Green Bay Packers. I, for one, am happy to see Rodgers starting to look like he could be the one.

But he's not there, yet.

TT's moves to strengthen the defense are starting to look impressive. And Favre seems to "get" that he's no longer being asked to carry the team by scoring 35 points while also playing for ball possession. If Favre continues to adjust his game, he could be on track for a great year (or two) and Rodgers will ride the bench. But Rodgers is still only 23 years old... time is on his side, not Favre's.

:five:

Cheesehead Craig
08-21-2007, 10:56 AM

It's set up now to take favre out. Then there's Aaron Rodgers and good luck.
You see what you only want to see about Rodgers. You have a vendetta against him as you didn't like the pick, and thus blindly criticize him.

Folds under pressure? He has scrambled and made plays when under pressure this preseason. Has he just thrown the ball up in hopes something good will happen? No. Not even close. He is making better decisions and solid reads on where to throw. He has improved and is improving his game. It seems to me you haven't been watching this preseason or camp.

It doesn't matter where he was drafted or how far he fell. It's irrellevant where a player is picked. There are loads of examples of lower round guys excelling. To make this argument is willfull ignorance.

Is it still really an unknown if he can carry the load as a starter? Yes. Because he hasn't done it, nor has he been given the chance. However, he has improved greatly from when he first was drafted and thus, that is why many feel that when Favre does hang it up, we are not totally screwed at QB as many thought we were 2 years ago.

Refusing to acknowledge the good in the kid is hypocritical of you. You were Ryan's champion last year when he stunk. But you just kept saying that he was young and deserved a chance to improve. You refuse to give Rodgers that same courtesy.

Merlin
08-21-2007, 11:28 PM
You see what you only want to see about Rodgers. You have a vendetta against him as you didn't like the pick, and thus blindly criticize him.

Folds under pressure? He has scrambled and made plays when under pressure this preseason. Has he just thrown the ball up in hopes something good will happen? No. Not even close. He is making better decisions and solid reads on where to throw. He has improved and is improving his game. It seems to me you haven't been watching this preseason or camp.

It doesn't matter where he was drafted or how far he fell. It's irrellevant where a player is picked. There are loads of examples of lower round guys excelling. To make this argument is willfull ignorance.

Is it still really an unknown if he can carry the load as a starter? Yes. Because he hasn't done it, nor has he been given the chance. However, he has improved greatly from when he first was drafted and thus, that is why many feel that when Favre does hang it up, we are not totally screwed at QB as many thought we were 2 years ago.

Refusing to acknowledge the good in the kid is hypocritical of you. You were Ryan's champion last year when he stunk. But you just kept saying that he was young and deserved a chance to improve. You refuse to give Rodgers that same courtesy.

The pick doesn't matter one way or the other. The fact is the guy has had a silver spoon put in his mouth and hasn't proven anything accept his lack of leadership, his one read stare, his inconsistent throws and his total inability to read even the simplest defense. My god, the guy stares at one receiver until either the guy gets open of the pocket crumbles. I haven't found much "good" to focus on with the guy. You line him up with the #1 offense, he sucks. You give him more snaps in camp, he sucks, etc.

I say open competition for the #2 spot. Make a level playing field. Start the year over, let Martin and Thompson have the same opportunities that Rodgers has had over the past three years. There is NO WAY that Rodgers would be our #2. Todd Bouman could have beat him out and that isn't saying a whole hell of a lot!

superfan
08-22-2007, 02:13 AM
The pick doesn't matter one way or the other. The fact is the guy has had a silver spoon put in his mouth and hasn't proven anything accept his lack of leadership, his one read stare, his inconsistent throws and his total inability to read even the simplest defense. My god, the guy stares at one receiver until either the guy gets open of the pocket crumbles. I haven't found much "good" to focus on with the guy. You line him up with the #1 offense, he sucks. You give him more snaps in camp, he sucks, etc.

Watch this video of highlights from the Seattle game.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/774827/returning_home/

The entire video is worth watching, but you may want to turn the sound down so you don't have to listen to the music.

Right before the 4 minute mark, you will see Rodgers throw a near perfect pass to rookie WR Jones, beating excellent coverage by starting Seahawks CB Marcus Trufant, one of the better cover corners in the league. Jones was the real hero on that play, but Rodgers put the ball exactly where the ball needed to be. He did not "stare at the receiver until he got open".

Granted, Jones was his only option on that play, and he did not look to other receivers. Also note the game time (a little over 7 minutes left in the 2nd quarter). Most of Seattle's starting defense was still in, and quite a few GB starters were in too.

The next play (on the video) shows Rodgers throw a TD strike to Jones, again putting the ball right where it needed to be, again with tight coverage, this time beating CB Kelly Jennings, Seattle's other starting CB.

Now go to the 6:26 mark. It's the third quarter, so backups in on both sides of the ball. Rodgers drops back, the Seattle right end delivers pressure, Rodgers pump fakes to his checkdown back, scans the field, more pressure, and delivers a TD pass to Holliday while in the process of being sacked.

The video evidence refutes your statement that he "stares at one receiver" until the receiver gets open or the pocket crumbles. Your claim that he is unable to read even the simplest defense is pure fiction - a QB would never be able to play division 1 college football, much less be successful or be drafted into the NFL, if this were true.

I do not believe that Rodgers is the second coming of anything. I don't even believe he is ready to be a consistent NFL starting QB, much less a good one. I think Joey Harrington is a better NFL QB today than Rodgers is, but I can't agree with you and others that claim he is a complete bust.

I haven't found much "good" to focus on with the guy.

If you can't find anything good in the video clips above, then you can't find anything good about anybody.

SkinBasket
08-22-2007, 07:29 AM
Start the year over, let Martin and Thompson have the same opportunities that Rodgers has had over the past three years. There is NO WAY that Rodgers would be our #2. Todd Bouman could have beat him out and that isn't saying a whole hell of a lot!

Are you going to provide the time machine that takes us all to your fantasy world where Martin and Thompson are better QBs than Rogers? Of course, then I guess it would be more of a fantasy machine that also allows for time travel. Either way, I think you may need to reconsider your grip on reality.

Partial
08-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Start the year over, let Martin and Thompson have the same opportunities that Rodgers has had over the past three years. There is NO WAY that Rodgers would be our #2. Todd Bouman could have beat him out and that isn't saying a whole hell of a lot!

Are you going to provide the time machine that takes us all to your fantasy world where Martin and Thompson are better QBs than Rogers? Of course, then I guess it would be more of a fantasy machine that also allows for time travel. Either way, I think you may need to reconsider your grip on reality.

He clearly does not watch the games.

Merlin
08-22-2007, 11:50 AM
You have no idea what you have in Martin or Thompson. I don't have any idea. I also don't hang on the 5 or 6 good plays Rodgers has made in the past THREE YEARS and say he is good. Laugh all you want and take your jabs. You are all knowing all seeing. Our backup QB's have all had the same opportunities right? For 3 years I have been saying open up the competition and let the chips fall where they may. And for three seasons you sit there and hang on this play or that play. They guy sucks and it shows.

When Rodgers does finally take over, I hope you are as supportive of him as you are now and keep on supporting him his entire career. You know, just like a lot of you have done with Hodge? Hodge made a few good plays last season but yet I don't hear anyone saying they were wrong about him. What I do see is a lot of people bashing the guy, many who were is strongest supporters last season.

Can you say cake-eaters?

Didn't think so...

cpk1994
08-22-2007, 12:02 PM
You have no idea what you have in Martin or Thompson. I don't have any idea. I also don't hang on the 5 or 6 good plays Rodgers has made in the past THREE YEARS and say he is good. Laugh all you want and take your jabs. You are all knowing all seeing. Our backup QB's have all had the same opportunities right? For 3 years I have been saying open up the competition and let the chips fall where they may. And for three seasons you sit there and hang on this play or that play. They guy sucks and it shows.

When Rodgers does finally take over, I hope you are as supportive of him as you are now and keep on supporting him his entire career. You know, just like a lot of you have done with Hodge? Hodge made a few good plays last season but yet I don't hear anyone saying they were wrong about him. What I do see is a lot of people bashing the guy, many who were is strongest supporters last season.

Can you say cake-eaters?

Didn't think so...

Guess what? I have been a Rodgers supporter since day one becuase I am willing to give him a chance and refuse to live by an afenda that "Rodgers is a bust" the second he was drafted like you. He has made incremental improvements since day one and that deserves patience. BTW, if Ron Wolf thought like you do, Brett Favre would never have come to GB because his mind already would have been made up that Favre was abust becuase of his first year. Tank god for the NFL that you are not a GM becuase you would dirve your team right into the ground.

The Leaper
08-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Tank god for the NFL

I read this and was instantly frightened with visions of Tank as commissioner of the NFL.

LL2
08-22-2007, 12:34 PM
From JSO:
Rodgers' passer rating of 105.3 offers a statistical measure of his improved play. As a rookie, he failed to score a point in his first 19 series. In 14 series (80 plays) the last two weeks, he has produced three touchdowns, three field goals and 27 first downs.

I've been a Rodgers supporter and will continue to support him. The good thing for him is that he's going to go through 3 years (possibly more) of QB schools and backup training, which is better than what he could learn in college. The other good thing is that he's only 23 and as mentioned in another place he's younger than most of the QB's that came out the past two years. So, once he gets a chance and if he proves he's good he will still have a long NFL career ahead of him. If we are lucky the Pack could only have two QB's over a 25 year period. To me that would be amazing!

SkinBasket
08-22-2007, 01:29 PM
You have no idea what you have in Martin or Thompson.... [gabbly-gook, gabbly-gook, gabbly-gook, crappy crap crappy, suck suck sucky]... many who were is strongest supporters last season.

Can you say cake-eaters?

Didn't think so...

You make so many sound and valid points, where does one begin? Oh, that's right. Bwa-wa!

I can say cake-eaters.

Cake-eaters.
Cake-eaters.
Cake-eaters.
Cake-eaters.
Cake-eaters.
Cake-eaters.
Cake-eaters.
Cake-eaters.
Cake-eaters.
Cake-eaters.
Cake-eaters.
Cake-eaters.

There. You're wrong again.

GBRulz
08-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Why is TT referred to as T3? Never understood that one....

superfan
08-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Why is TT referred to as T3? Never understood that one....

Ted "Turtle" Thompson? :D

GBRulz
08-22-2007, 02:09 PM
ohhh ok. lol ty

Why not TTPBT ? :wink:

superfan
08-22-2007, 02:14 PM
For 3 years I have been saying open up the competition and let the chips fall where they may.

Why wouldn't it be an open competition? There are no free passes in the NFL. The only reason I can think of for a player slotted higher than a better player on the depth chart is to send a message to someone who is underperforming. Or perhaps the 2nd teamer might not be as good as the 3rd teamer today, but shows more overall upside.

If anything, I think a stronger case could be made to start Rodgers over Favre than to bump Martin or Thompson over Rodgers. I am NOT advocating that - Favre is obviously the starter. But I think the difference between Favre and Rodgers is less than the difference between Rodgers and Thompson or Martin at this point.

Are you advocating that Rodgers should be cut and that the QBs should be Favre, Thompson, Martin?

BF4MVP
08-23-2007, 12:18 AM

I say open competition for the #2 spot. Make a level playing field. Start the year over, let Martin and Thompson have the same opportunities that Rodgers has had over the past three years. There is NO WAY that Rodgers would be our #2. Todd Bouman could have beat him out and that isn't saying a whole hell of a lot!
This is the worst post ever....Rodgers is SO FAR AHEAD of Martin and Thompson that's it's not even funny.

Some people just have an agenda I guess..

PS Todd Bouman? Are you kidding me? You just lost all credibility...

GBRulz
08-23-2007, 07:22 AM
If anything, I think a stronger case could be made to start Rodgers over Favre

I was almost going to have to kick your @ss... j/k :wink:

Spaulding
08-23-2007, 10:13 AM
For 3 years I have been saying open up the competition and let the chips fall where they may.

Why wouldn't it be an open competition? There are no free passes in the NFL. The only reason I can think of for a player slotted higher than a better player on the depth chart is to send a message to someone who is underperforming. Or perhaps the 2nd teamer might not be as good as the 3rd teamer today, but shows more overall upside.

If anything, I think a stronger case could be made to start Rodgers over Favre than to bump Martin or Thompson over Rodgers. I am NOT advocating that - Favre is obviously the starter. But I think the difference between Favre and Rodgers is less than the difference between Rodgers and Thompson or Martin at this point.

Are you advocating that Rodgers should be cut and that the QBs should be Favre, Thompson, Martin?

Excellent points Superfan and an interesting perspective. I can't honestly believe that somebody not hopped out would think that Martin or Thompson's play this pre-season suggests they are better than Rodgers.

To be honest, given their play I wouldn't be surprised to see both cut and possibly Thompson signed to the practice squad.

It feels pretty good to have Favre still at the helm and an improving Rodgers backing him up.

LL2
08-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Even the national media is starting to recognize ARod...

QB questions clearing up

Analysis of Croyle, Quinn, Clemens, Jackson and more
Posted: Thursday August 23, 2007 12:30PM; Updated: Thursday August 23, 2007 12:57PM

Brodie Croyle is not ready to be the starting quarterback for the Chiefs.
After watching Croyle's uneven performances in the Chiefs first two preseason games, it's obvious he is not ready to be their starting quarterback. Despite having great physical gifts, his questionable decision-making and penchant for turnovers doesn't fit the Chiefs' conservative offense at this time. Maybe his flaws were magnified without Larry Johnson in the lineup, but his miscues are still cause for concern. It is common for young starters to make mistakes as they go through their growing pains, but the Chiefs have a veteran quarterback on their roster in Damon Huard, who gives them a better chance of winning this season.

Brady Quinn should start for the Browns, soon.

Despite missing most of training camp because of a contract holdout, Quinn should take over before long. He outplayed his veteran competitors versus the Lions on Saturday. While it would be easy to dismiss his production in garbage time, Quinn's ability to direct the offense successfully after only a week of training camp speaks volumes about his ability to absorb the offense quickly. Quinn will have his struggles as the starter, but based on the uninspiring performances of his competitors and the offense under their direction, the Browns would be better served with the rookie under center.

Vince Young is likely to experience a sophomore slump.

Young's surprising success as a rookie starter has led to high expectations this season, but after watching him struggle versus the Patriots last Friday, one has to worry about VY. While many will point to a lack of quality receivers or an inconsistent running game as the reasons behind his struggles, I'm more concerned about his inconsistency in the pocket.
For all of the highlights Young generated last season, that doesn't mask the fact he was a 50-percent passer who struggled with accuracy and touch for most of the season. His improvisational skills and athleticism allowed him to be successful with a low-completion percentage, but depending on broken plays to sustain drives is not the best way to direct a pro offense.
Defenses have spent all offseason devising ways to keep Young in the pocket and force him to beat them with his arm. The Patriots used various blitz/coverage combinations to throw off his rhythm and he was unable to make them pay with accurate strikes. Until Young can make defenses pay from the pocket, the Titans' offense will struggle moving the ball consistently.

Joey Harrington will struggle in Atlanta.

While Mike Vick deals with his legal problems, Harrington takes over and will be under a lot of pressure. Harrington's drop-back passing skills would appear to make him a good fit for BobbyPetrino's offense, but indecisiveness and lack of poise have have plagued Harrington before. Watching him direct the first team offense through the first two preseason games, it's clear to me he still suffers from occasional lapses of judgment that result in turnovers. Those moments have overshadowed some of the good things he has done while successfully guiding the Falcons to scores. I am confident Harrington will play well for the Falcons in stretches, but eventually his flaws will cost the Falcons games.

Donovan McNabb is farther along in his rehab than anyone could have guessed.

McNabb's performance during the Eagles' preseason game versus the Panthers surprised everyone. Not only did he show confidence in the pocket, but his accuracy, touch and rhythm made one forget he had missed nine months of action with a torn ACL. His pinpoint passing and willingness to distribute the ball to several receivers opened up the Eagles attack.
I still want to see how he bounces back from a big hit in the pocket and whether he still has confidence in his scrambling ability, but if his performance versus the Panthers was any indication, McNabb will be effective by Week 1.

Kellen Clemens is the next Matt Schaub. (I was hoping we would draft this guy)

Clemens has quietly created a positive buzz in New York. He opened the preseason with an outstanding performance versus the Falcons (16 of 22 for 179 yards with three touchdowns) and followed it up with a solid outing versus the Vikings (6 of 9 for 56 yards with one touchdown and one interception). His performances become more noteworthy when compared to the struggles of starter Chad Pennington.
Clemens has shown better arm strength, touch and accuracy than Pennington during the preseason and the Jets' offense has clicked with him at the helm. While Clemens is unlikely to unseat Pennington as the starter this year, his outstanding start to the preseason has raised his profile. Matt Schaub was the most recent backup quarterback to parlay successful preseason performances into a starting job, and Clemens could be next.

Vikings fans shouldn't worry about Tarvaris Jackson. (I would if I was Rastak)

There has been a lot of speculation regarding the Vikings' quarterback position, but I think Jackson will be fine as the starter. He's a talented athlete with a strong arm and great physical tools, and he'll benefit from BradChildress' emphasis on a running game featuring the talents of AdrianPeterson and Chester Taylor. Defenses will use eight-man fronts to stop the run, daring Jackson to beat them with his arm. Don't be surprised if he does, because he has made tremendous strides as a passer during the offseason. He no longer looks tentative and unsure of his reads in the pocket, and has done a good job of patiently letting the system determine where the ball should go on every play.

Daunte Culpepper is shaking off the rust in Oakland.

Culpepper was cast aside by Cam Cameron and the Dolphins during the summer, but he is quietly rounding back into form in Oakland. After spending his first two weeks trying to learn a new offensive system, Culpepper is beginning to look comfortable in a Raiders' uniform.
He started out a little shaky versus the Cardinals in his first game, but appeared to have better rhythm and timing versus the Niners last Saturday. He worked through his reads quickly and was more decisive distributing the ball to open receivers.
His confidence in his knee is back and his natural athletic instincts are also returning. He did not hesitate to scramble or leave the pocket when pressured and also looked very comfortable throwing on the move off naked-bootleg action. He is not all the way back to his old form, but he has shown more in two weeks in Oakland than he displayed during his brief tenure with the Dolphins.

Aaron Rodgers has stepped up his game.

You bet he has!

Rodgers entered the preseason with questions and uncertainty regarding his ability to succeed Brett Favre, but his strong start should quiet his critics. Rodgers has completed more than 60 percent of his passes with three touchdowns and no interceptions through two preseason games. He is finally showing the poise, accuracy and touch that made him the Packers' first-round choice in 2005.
But most impressive has been the leadership ability he has displayed in guiding the Packers to six scoring drives in almost four quarters of action. Rodgers has been patient enough to take what the defense offers, but h

run pMc
08-24-2007, 08:30 AM
Favre is the starter.
ARod is the backup.
Martin and Thompson aren't close to where Rodgers is in being ready to play.

Rodgers has made big strides in his maturity, preparation (remember his comments his rookie year?), and his performance. His stats this year bear that out. Yes, it's preseason, but Hasselbeck (f/k/a 'Mr. August') took some time to figure it out. Some QBs take time...and ARod was not ready last year. I'm skeptical he's all the way ready this year, but he's shown progress/improvement (even against some #1 defenses), and that's encouraging. If it takes ARod 3 or 4 years of holding the clipboard to "get it" and be at least an adequate NFL starter, the time is worth it.

Say what you will about TT picking him, it's done, he's on the team, and I have no complaints about him serving as a backup for this season's team. Rodgers needs to keep improving. When Favre hangs it up, I feel comfortable with ARod competing for the starting job...I do hope TT brings someone else in to compete with him, though.

Rastak
08-24-2007, 08:45 AM
LL2, you're cracking me up. He says nice stuff about Arod and it's cool, he says nice stuff about Jackson and he's wrong?

LOL.....I'm not worried yet. I'll tell ya Sunday if if I'm worried actually. Jackson's going to get a little over a half saturday night.

Merlin
08-24-2007, 10:31 AM
This is the worst post ever....Rodgers is SO FAR AHEAD of Martin and Thompson that's it's not even funny.

Why is Rodgers SO FAR AHEAD of Martin and Thompson? A point I don't disagree with by the way. Obviously you can't read or chose only the portions of the post that furthered YOUR agenda.

Do you have any idea the points you missed? Do you have a clue? No, I didn't think so. Go back to day 1 with Rodgers, watch how he has been treated, then go back to day one with any other backup we have had since Rodgers and see if they have had the same opportunities as Rodgers. If you say they have or make some stupid statement like "Why wouldn't it be an open competition? There are no free passes in the NFL. The only reason I can think of for a player slotted higher than a better player on the depth chart is to send a message to someone who is underperforming. Or perhaps the 2nd teamer might not be as good as the 3rd teamer today, but shows more overall upside. ", then you haven't been paying attention. When Rodgers was drafted, Nall went to #3 on the depth chart even though he had proved through his performance IN A REAL NFL GAME that he deserved the #2 spot. Then, Nall and whoever the 4th guy was at the time were instantly religated to play pre-season with the #2 & #3 units while Rodgers got snaps with the #1 team. This has continued to this day. No other QB outside of Favre or Rodgers has taken any snaps with the #1 offense on the field in any game. So the competition is level? So they all had the same opportunities? I don't recall any camp news that said anyone outside of Rodgers took snaps with the #1 offense accept a few times this season early on when Rodgers was still out with his foot. And that was during OTA's.

Todd Bouman = NFL Experieince
Aaron Rodgers = No NFL Experience

Therefore Bouman > Rodgers

To think otherwise is naive.

As far as my creditability, I am not the one disseminating a post, taking things out of context without examining the supporting arguments and then making asinine statements without any thought what-so-ever.

You love Rodgers and have no creditable evidence to show that the playing field has been level since he was drafted. But yet someone breaks down what has transpired since he was drafted, shows you where the errors have been and they have no creditability? WOW...

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2007, 10:47 AM

Brady Quinn = No NFL Experience

TJ Rubley = NFL Experience

Therefore?

cpk1994
08-24-2007, 11:25 AM

Why is Rodgers SO FAR AHEAD of Martin and Thompson? A point I don't disagree with by the way. Obviously you can't read or chose only the portions of the post that furthered YOUR agenda.

Do you have any idea the points you missed? Do you have a clue? No, I didn't think so. Go back to day 1 with Rodgers, watch how he has been treated, then go back to day one with any other backup we have had since Rodgers and see if they have had the same opportunities as Rodgers. If you say they have or make some stupid statement like "Why wouldn't it be an open competition? There are no free passes in the NFL. The only reason I can think of for a player slotted higher than a better player on the depth chart is to send a message to someone who is underperforming. Or perhaps the 2nd teamer might not be as good as the 3rd teamer today, but shows more overall upside. ", then you haven't been paying attention. When Rodgers was drafted, Nall went to #3 on the depth chart even though he had proved through his performance IN A REAL NFL GAME that he deserved the #2 spot. Then, Nall and whoever the 4th guy was at the time were instantly religated to play pre-season with the #2 & #3 units while Rodgers got snaps with the #1 team. This has continued to this day. No other QB outside of Favre or Rodgers has taken any snaps with the #1 offense on the field in any game. So the competition is level? So they all had the same opportunities? I don't recall any camp news that said anyone outside of Rodgers took snaps with the #1 offense accept a few times this season early on when Rodgers was still out with his foot. And that was during OTA's.

As far as my creditability, I am not the one disseminating a post, taking things out of context without examining the supporting arguments and then making asinine statements without any thought what-so-ever.

You love Rodgers and have no creditable evidence to show that the playing field has been level since he was drafted. But yet someone breaks down what has transpired since he was drafted, shows you where the errors have been and they have no creditability? WOW...

You need to quit posting as you make a bigger moron out of yourself with each one. Bouman > Rodgers? Your telling me that a QB who is not even in the league right now is better or did Todd himself tell you that when he was bagging your groceries at the Pick & Save?

superfan
08-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Merlin, I hear your frustration about a player essentially getting favoritism based on where he was drafted, and I agree that practice is unfair.

In the case of Nall and Rodgers, my take is that you know what you have in Nall, but you need to give Rodgers reps with the #1s so you can see what he can do.

All across the league you read about players being added through FA and draft who are immediately anointed as the starter, backup, whatever before they even have a rep with the team. The competition in practices and games should determine whether that was warranted.

Overall this is a pointless debate because I don't know what goes on at practices and what the coaches opinions of players are. If they really are playing favorites and have an inferior player higher than another player on the depth chart, then I would share that frustration. I just can't see any good reason why they would do that (other than compromising photos of coaches/GM, ha), and I'm not buying any conspiracy theories.

superfan
08-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Brady Quinn = No NFL Experience

TJ Rubley = NFL Experience

Therefore?

Therefore we should immediately sign Rubley, since he is available! :D

Good one Harlan. LOL...

Brohm
08-24-2007, 12:42 PM
All the talk about competition is great, but let's be real here. A 1st round draft pick is going to be given every opportunity possible to succeed (for the GMs job security as well as hopefully real talent and upside). That's why Rodgers was "annointed" the #2. That's why Harrell was penciled in as the starter. Those are the expectations. Only if they fail miserably are they cut/demoted. Look at all the chances Carrol got.

Bouman = No future

Rodgers = Possible future

He needed to be set as the number 2 QB in order to get what little snaps are left over after Farve gets his reps.

Partial
08-24-2007, 01:31 PM

If you are putting thought into these its downright scary.

Rodgers led a touchdown drive against the #2 defense in the NFL last night.

Ingle had a chance to win the game and folded.