PDA

View Full Version : Strength and Conditioning

footballfever
08-19-2007, 02:19 AM
Haven't been too much kudos to Rock Gullickson and crew lately so I thought I'd venture it out there. I did some minimal research on the pros and cons of free weights versus machines. I know when Gullickson came in last year (I think it was last year) and cleared out the weight room and installed his new program there was a lot of talk. And based on my research it seems to be paying off. Basically what it comes down to with free weights is that during each exercise you do, not only do you work out the area specific to the exercise but you also work out your core muscles. Providing better balance and allowing you to be more in tune with everyday muscles that you might miss on a machine workout. IMO it seems like the players we have on our team now are a lot more explosive and athletic, minus your Ryan Picketts of course. I might just be seein things here, but it seems to me like this whole idea is really paying off, our strength and conditioning seems to be going pretty well. Free weights also help a lot in the rehabilitation of injuries, I guess you could look to Blackmon and Poppinga as examples of that. Maybe this is all common knowledge to a lot of folk, but Im not by any means a gym head so I thought I'd throw it out there.

BallHawk
08-19-2007, 02:26 AM
I don't think most people know who Rock Gullickson is! :shock:

Conditioning is something you take for granted, until you see it work against you on the field. I remember either last year or the year before, the first game guys were going out left and right with leg cramps, shortage of oxygen, etc. Granted, it'll happen to any team, but it was a highly unusual amount. Obviously, guys like Pickett aren't going to be going full speed every down, but having your secondary and linebackers in shape plays a big role in how the defense plays.

Cheers to you Rock! :glug:

footballfever
08-19-2007, 02:28 AM
I don't think Pickett set any attendance records this year for his participation in off season workouts either

Scott Campbell
08-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Pickett's been working his core by lifting doughnuts.

He's making a lot of dough. And we have enough cap flexibility and DT depth to cut his fat ass.