PDA

View Full Version : unintentional ironic statement.

PackerBlues
08-19-2007, 08:45 AM
I would have expected the Seattle Seahawks to be a bigger challenge to the Packers than they were last night. The Packers Defense just smothered them from start to finish. I cannot count the number of times I said "Holy Shit !!!" last night, lol.

While our Defense did in fact look awesome, the fact that Seattle was playing without their starting guards did not escape notice. The other thing that did not escape my attention, was the fact that Holmgren did not even have Hasselbeck play a single snap behind the back up guards, fearing injury to his starting QB.

I really find it to be a quite an ironic statement, that Holmgren did not play Hassellbeck at all last night, for fear of his getting injured playing behind back up guards. Yet in our 4-12 season, Favre played the entire season behind rookie guards, with the only thing keeping him from getting injured being his under-rated ability to scramble, and the fact that the TE's were used more for blocking than they were as offensive weapons.

While I totally loved the look of our Defense, knowing the problems that our offense had with rookie guards the last two years, added a question mark as to weather our Defense was really that good, or was their Offense just that much worse without its starting guards and a back up QB. I guess the only way we will find out, is to keep watching, and after last night, my expectations for the season have risen considerably, even though it was only a preseason game that I watched last night. I do not recall being so impressed with our D-line, since the mid to late 90's, and for perhaps the first time ever, I find myself looking forward to a another preseason game.

RashanGary
08-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Yeah, the OG's sucked in 2005 :) TT made a mistake. The team was in Shambles after 4 years of Sherman. In two short years, TT turned a complete mess into something really strong and sustainable. Like I keep saying "wait until they play"

packrulz
08-19-2007, 09:06 AM
I don't get that stoked about it either, but I feel a lot better about the Packers depth, making the cuts is going to be hard. I feel a lot better about the CB/S position now, Bigby and Bush have been playing well, Blackmon looks like a good returner and DB, & Peporah (sp?) had a pick. At LB Hodge recovered a fumble that was called back, Bishop got burned once but that guy has some potential and the tackling is much better this year. I guess injuries will probably determine who gets cut.

cpk1994
08-19-2007, 09:49 AM
Umm, it was their starting tackles that were out, not guards.

PackerBlues
08-19-2007, 10:08 AM
My bad, you are right. I had seen a pre-game report that both guards for Seattle were questionable before the game. (I actually watched the game at the bar, while playing pool, and the volume was down to far to hear a damned thing.)

CaliforniaCheez
08-19-2007, 10:11 AM
The Packers have some good DE's.

Now if they could only combine that with some good puch up the middle....

Oh, in April they got the #2 DT in the draft.

Why did people think that choice was foolish?

FritzDontBlitz
08-19-2007, 03:50 PM
The Packers have some good DE's.

Now if they could only combine that with some good puch up the middle....

Oh, in April they got the #2 DT in the draft.

Why did people think that choice was foolish?

you obviously missed cullen jenkins' play at dt on passing downs?

RashanGary
08-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Must have missed Corey Williams 7 sacks from the interior last year too.

retailguy
08-19-2007, 06:46 PM

Perhaps Cheez has missed Harrell's pro bowl preseason too?

Partial
08-19-2007, 10:42 PM

Perhaps Cheez has missed Harrell's pro bowl preseason too?

I did not realize that a guy who hasn't played in a year and is fat and outta shape is supposed to light it up right away. In due time. Thompson is always thinking long term. He'll be a very solid player by next year giving us the best DL in the league.

RashanGary
08-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Partial, I know you want Harrell to be good right away and so do I, but do you remember the last DT who was a top rookie? ? ? They always take time. Harrell is not the Jesus of DT's. He's just another, good, talented big guy who can be good if he wants to and if he works at it. There is a saying that goes "The further you are away from teh ball, the more likeley you are to contribute early" I think it has something to do with man power. The guys in the middle rely on strenght and strength is something that comes with age. Harrell can help this year, but his real impact should start next year.

Partial
08-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Partial, I know you want Harrell to be good right away and so do I, but do you remember the last DT who was a top rookie? ? ? They always take time. Harrell is not the Jesus of DT's. He's just another, good, talented big guy who can be good if he wants to and if he works at it. There is a saying that goes "The further you are away from teh ball, the more likeley you are to contribute early" I think it has something to do with man power. The guys in the middle rely on strenght and strength is something that comes with age. Harrell can help this year, but his real impact should start next year.

Many are good as rookies. Kevin Williams and Tommy Harris are two examples of players who just got it. Marcus Stroud and Henderson like that as well. Lots of good players are good players from the start.

The problem is he is not in mid-season shape yet. He is strong enough and knows how to play the position. He'll be fine by mid season.

I completely disagree with that assessment because specialty positions and quarterbacks have a lot more complicated things to remember instead of read and react like a linebacker.

RashanGary
08-19-2007, 11:21 PM
Warren Sapp was the only one I remember. Tommy Harris had 3.5 sacks and 19 tackles in his rookie season. Kevin Williams was a very rare monster. Warren Sapp was good early. Henderson was good early. It's still more the exception than the rule. Harrell has a few things to overcome. I don't see him having the type of year that Sapp or Henderson had. I see him taking a full year to get NFL strong.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Tommie Harris had 44 tackles and 3.5 sacks his rookie year--according to Yahoo. The tackles are still a career high. He's had 3 sacks and 5 sacks in the last two years. He was good from the start. You can't really judge DTs with numbers.

Partial
08-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Warren Sapp was the only one I remember. Tommy Harris had 3.5 sacks and 19 tackles in his rookie season. Kevin Williams was a very rare monster. Warren Sapp was good early. Henderson was good early. It's still more the exception than the rule. Harrell has a few things to overcome. I don't see him having the type of year that Sapp or Henderson had. I see him taking a full year to get NFL strong.

I think he is one of the strongest packers. I think he needs to get in NFL shape and condition and take some toughen up pills. Being able to pass a gasser test and being in NFL shape are two very different things. He needs to be able to recover and push play after play. Tough thing to do.

Sacks are very overrated. Harris is the best player on the D and Urlacher is 2nd best. They have pretty plain stats in my opinion. Players that good are game planned around and accounted for. Harris won't get a lot of sacks or tackles because he is double or triple teamed to stop coming up the middle.

RashanGary
08-20-2007, 06:38 AM
You look to be right Partial. Some DT's do play pretty well early. I don't see Harrell playing as well though. I just think he needs a full year before he's an impact guy on this level.