PDA

View Full Version : My draft analysis.....

RashanGary
05-01-2006, 06:55 PM
I think this draft is amazing so this is going to sound awfully positive....

1 A.J. Hawk LB - As a fan, It's hard to believe we just drafted such an amazing player. Physically, he is everything you want in a linebacker and then a little more. He's tough, smart, instinctive, fast and hard working. One thing that amazes me about Hawk when watching film is how strong his grasp is. He gets one hand on a guy and he manages to tear him to the ground. He is a true playmaker and just happens to fill the position of greatest need on the team. If the Packers win a lot of games, don't be surprised and the biggest reason will most likely be the addtion of this player.

2a Daryn Colledge OG - Daryn is a very athletic player. He's explosive, fast and strong. Those, however, are not his greatest qualities. He is just a gritty, tough football player who finishes plays and plays the right way. If that wasn't enough, he is a very intelligent person with the ability to quickly abosorb a playbook. In short, this guy is a player. He should start and succeed from day 1.

2b Greg Jennings WR/ST - This player doesn't have elite size, but has just enough. He doesn't have elite speed but he is fast. He has a little bit of everything. His hands, quickness, strength for his size and body control seem to be his greatest assets. He has the ability to make clean cuts and is just explosive enough to get separation. He shows the ability to make things happen with the ball in his hands. Like the two before him, he is just a football player who manages to make big plays. Jennings should beable to step in right away as a gunner and 3rd or 4th reciever. He has enough upside to be a starter. He is alot like Antonio Freeman except he doesn't body catch.

3a Abdul Hodge LB/ST - Here is a player who isn't quite as tall as you like, he doesn't weigh as much as you like, he's not the fastest guy in the LB corp but he has just enough of everything to succeed on the next level. His greatest assets are his tough, hard hitting style and the gritty yet intelligent way he approaches the game. This is sounding repetitious but this is a player who just makes big plays. During his career at Iowa he has a knack for roughing up the competion and forcing fumbles. He's not as physically dominate as A.J. but he is every bit the gritty, tough football player. He should play in the middle so Barnett can cover TE's on the strong side but it might be hard to convince our vet LB to take what he might perceive as a demotion. I see Hodge starting in his rookie year.

3b Jason Spitz OG/C - Jason doesn't have great feet. He's not the most explosive athlete. Like Mark Tauscher, he's just not an impressive physical specimen. Let's stop talking about what he isn't. Jason Spitz is a tough, hard nosed football player who does everything on the field at a high level. He does what he's asked and does it well. If you're looking for a football player to pass protect and open creases, look no further than Jason Spitz. He could start, but it's going to be tough to beat out the 3 or 4 vets standing in his way. I think this is a great draft class, so again I'm going to project this guy as a future starter. He just makes plays.

4a Cory Rodgers WR/ST - Let's go through the routine....Rodgers is a little undersized. He's not quite as fast as some other prospects. He's not a player that makes you go WOW in shorts. So why draft him early in the 4th round? Because he is a friggin dynamic football player. He's one competitive SOB and he breaks tackles he has no buisness breaking. He has an instinctive feel for the game and makeing plays in the open field. This is my favorite day 2 pick and I project him to open 2006 as the starting punt returner and #5 WR. All he did in college was make plays and although he's not a physical freak, he is just physical enough to make things happen. Let's put it this way, he's no Antonio Chatman.

4b Will Blackmon CB/ST - Physically, Will has it all. He's a lengthy, explosive CB who has just enough speed to make it on the next level. He's not very polished but he has great balls skills and is best suited to play GB's bump and run coverage. His biggest early contributions should come on special teams where he will likely return either punts or kicks. He'll help in both punt and kick coverage. He loves to play and has always made plays at whatever postion he's played. He might be a little bit of a project but he's got all the tools and unlike Ahmad Carroll, this guy has ball skills and a great attitude. I really want him to make the team but there is not a lot of room and he's going to have to make it as a special teamer first.

5a Ingle Martin QB - Rating a QB is kind of Quirky. He's got the arm. He's got the legs. He's competitive as hell and he makes plays. Will he be great? Nobody knows but he's worth a look.

5b Tony Moll T/G - Like Blackmon, this guy is further along physically than he is technically. He's big, quick, strong and explosive. He's noted as a player who learns quick but hasn't played a whole lot of OL. If this guy makes the team he is going to immediately be a special teams stud. He can block. He can move. He'll be a great special teamer. He's one of those guys who played great where ever he's played but hasn't played enough at his natural NFL postion.

To be continued. I'm at work.....

Bossman641
05-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Nick,

I agree with your analysis thus far. There are two things that stand out most to me in the majority of our prospects. One, most of them are intelligent. I forgot where I saw this, but the average Wonderlic of the guys that we drafted was something like 5-6 higher than the NFL average. Does that guarantee success? No, but I'd much rather have smarter players over combine guys. Secondly, they all produced in college. No more drafting James Lee or Donnell Washington. We took experienced players who have shown what they can do. With this approach, you may miss out on some of the high-ceiling guys but you should hit on a lot more of your picks.

I'll have to take your word on Cory Rodgers. He is my least favorite pick of the weekend. Does he offer much as a receiver or will he pretty much just be a KR/PR?

You seem to be pretty high on Hawk now. What made you change your mind about him? I thought you wanted Davis very badly.

RashanGary
05-01-2006, 07:41 PM
I've always really liked Hawk. I've watched a few of his games and quite a few clips. I thought him and Davis were pretty close but I leaned a bit t'ward the measurables....I have a lot more confidence in Thompson than I do in myself so I think they got the right guy. Just cuz I leaned t'ward Davis though doesn't mean I didn't love Hawk....I had a lot of good things to say about him but as the draft approached I'd already covered Hawks strengths a million times and I just chose to speak about the more unknown commodity.

Joemailman
05-01-2006, 08:38 PM
Nick,

You mentioned that Jennings reminds you of Freeman. I thought that when I read about Rodgers. If either one turns out that well, perhaps even Tank will change his tune. (Probably not, I think Tank's act is just that.)

b bulldog
05-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Nice job Nick!

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2006, 09:46 PM
I want to hear your write up on future Hall of Famer, Dave Tollefson.

RashanGary
05-01-2006, 10:02 PM

Smart ass

RashanGary
05-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Jolly and Tollefson look intriguing btw......I wouldn't be surprised if we have 10 rookies on the roster again.

Tarlam!
05-02-2006, 01:36 AM

That's BOMNF!