PDA

View Full Version : Best player of preseason so far

Him8123
08-19-2007, 11:19 AM
I know you could make a case for Hawk or maybe Rodgers but ya gotta give it up for my boy Cullen Jenkins, got his contract and keeping his word. He is just wreaking havok all over that field. 2 games 3 sacks and a forced fumble, he`s definitely off to a great start. And very close 2nd and I mean very close I would put JJ, 10 rec. 116 yds., and 2 tds. Gives me very big hope. Anybody else have different picks??

b bulldog
08-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Rodgers,Jenkins or JJ would be my three with Jenkins winning it.

PackerTimer
08-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Rodgers,Jenkins or JJ would be my three with Jenkins winning it.

Hard to argue with this. Jenkins has been an absolute beast through the fist two preseason games.

esoxx
08-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Jenkins looks to be the real deal.

oregonpackfan
08-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Definitely Jenkins, IMO.

Harlan Huckleby
08-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Bubba Franks threw his hat into the ring last night.

Only kidding, but it is good to see he has a pulse.

MasonCrosby
08-19-2007, 12:32 PM
i do like how jenkins has really stepped up his play. i think james jones has done a great job as well, gives me more hope for our receivers.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Yep Jenkins. I also love how KGB has played great as the 3rd down pass rusher. Very exciting D-line.

Deputy Nutz
08-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Jenkins has been playing very well, Hawk has done a good job, he is able to anticipate and react much better than he did last year. He just has a nasty demeanor on the field.

Bigby had a nice night, although in this system I would like to see him dominate in coverage and give him high reviews on that, although he did a nice job timing his blitzes

James Jones is making a huge impact in the passing game, he is tough underneath receiver that will actually fight of defenders for the ball, I like everything about Driver, but he doesn't fight off the defender all the time for the ball, Jones does especially on that 20 something yard catch that was reviewed. He went up high and took the ball at the highest point.

Rodgers has made huge strides, although I still want to see him against first string defenses.

I like Jesse Garcia, especially the bit about the new turf surface at lambeau Field.

Joemailman
08-19-2007, 01:03 PM
Jenkins has been awesome, and with Walter Jones out, is probably the reason Holmgren didn't start Hasselbeck. However, before we anoint Jenkins as Reggie II, let's keep in mind he hasn't faced a team's starting LT yet this pre-season. He definitely makes the Packer's run defense a lot better. However, it remains to be seen whether he will be a dominant pass rusher once he starts facing the outstanding LT's he will face.

packrulz
08-19-2007, 01:04 PM
It's hard to believe Jenkins was an undrafted FA in '03 and the Packers cut him, glad they got him back, I'd rather have him than Mario Williams right now. Bush played very well also, he could've had 3 picks if he hadn't dropped one.

packinpatland
08-19-2007, 01:16 PM
I just watched the Favre highlights on the Packer site, and he looked pretty darn good. That TD pass was excellent.

CaptainKickass
08-19-2007, 01:21 PM
I've been really watching Jenkins since we picked him up. I started really paying attention when he personally blocked 2 consecutive kicks. I believe one was an extra point and then an ensuing field goal. This is way before the move to DE and he was primarily a backup DT.

He is going to be a monster paired up with Kampman on the other side.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Jenkins has been awesome, and with Walter Jones out, is probably the reason Holmgren didn't start Hasselbeck. However, before we anoint Jenkins as Reggie II, let's keep in mind he hasn't faced a team's starting LT yet this pre-season.

Marvel Smith is the Steelers starting LT. He got the first sack against Marvel Smith last week. Smith has been a starter for all 7 years he's been in the league:

http://www.nfl.com/players/marvelsmith/careerstats?id=SMI506340

They moved last year's starter at RT, Max Starks, to LT later, and Jenkins got a sack against him. Starks has been a starter for the Steelers the last two years.

http://www.nfl.com/players/maxstarks/careerstats?id=STA603966

The Seahawks LT last night, Tom Ashworth, is considered to be a solid backup that has gotten 36 starts the last 4 years:

http://www.nfl.com/players/tomashworth/careerstats?id=ASH777848

Partial
08-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Kampman looks due for an upgraded contract right about now. Jenkins looks to be next in line so far. Yes, I realize he just signed an extension.

LL2
08-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Kampman looks due for an upgraded contract right about now. Jenkins looks to be next in line so far. Yes, I realize he just signed an extension.

With the way those two are playing you have to wonder if TT will have out extension to them as well, but do not expect it to be this year though.

My preseason pick would be Jenkins too, but JJ is looking awesome and easing my worries about the WR group.

Joemailman
08-19-2007, 06:13 PM
I'll change the subject slightly and discuss the most significant play. In my opinion it occurred after Blackmon's great return (although that too was pretty significant) On 1st and goal from the 7 Jackson gained 6 yards setting up a 2nd and 1. Last year all too often in that situatioin the Packers would have gained a yard creating a situation where the Packers were in a likely passing situation. If the Packers can get decent yardage on 1st down in the red zone, their efficiency should be much better than last year.

retailguy
08-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Jenkins has been awesome, and with Walter Jones out, is probably the reason Holmgren didn't start Hasselbeck. However, before we anoint Jenkins as Reggie II, let's keep in mind he hasn't faced a team's starting LT yet this pre-season. He definitely makes the Packer's run defense a lot better. However, it remains to be seen whether he will be a dominant pass rusher once he starts facing the outstanding LT's he will face.

Man. You really know how to deflate optimistic paranoia, don't you? Can't they bathe in the kool-aid for a while? Don't we get something besides the "idiot" award for going 4-0 in the preseason?

It ought to erase a mulligan somewhere, shouldn't it?

retailguy
08-19-2007, 06:33 PM
I've been really watching Jenkins since **we**SHERMAN picked him up. I started really paying attention when he personally blocked 2 consecutive kicks. I believe one was an extra point and then an ensuing field goal. This is way before the move to DE and he was primarily a backup DT.

He is going to be a monster paired up with Kampman on the other side.

I fixed your quote for you Captain.... :twisted: :P

MadtownPacker
08-19-2007, 06:34 PM
I think Ferguson was the key player. Had he not continued to suck we have had to worry about another season of "will he or wont he" step up. Now that he is gone someone actually might have that breakout season we have been talking about for the longest time.

retailguy
08-19-2007, 06:36 PM
I think Ferguson was the key player. Had he not continued to suck we have had to worry about another season of "will he or wont he" step up. Now that he is gone someone actually might have that breakout season we have been talking about for the longest time.

You are almost as sarcastic and twisted as I am.... Keep up the good work. :P

Rastak
08-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Jenkins has been awesome, and with Walter Jones out, is probably the reason Holmgren didn't start Hasselbeck. However, before we anoint Jenkins as Reggie II, let's keep in mind he hasn't faced a team's starting LT yet this pre-season.

Marvel Smith is the Steelers starting LT. He got the first sack against Marvel Smith last week. Smith has been a starter for all 7 years he's been in the league:

http://www.nfl.com/players/marvelsmith/careerstats?id=SMI506340

They moved last year's starter at RT, Max Starks, to LT later, and Jenkins got a sack against him. Starks has been a starter for the Steelers the last two years.

http://www.nfl.com/players/maxstarks/careerstats?id=STA603966

The Seahawks LT last night, Tom Ashworth, is considered to be a solid backup that has gotten 36 starts the last 4 years:

http://www.nfl.com/players/tomashworth/careerstats?id=ASH777848

Actually, Ashworth is the backup RT....not sure how much work he's had at LT...not really sure.

red
08-19-2007, 06:55 PM

great point

if only we had done that much sooner, AND replaced KGB like me and others had been screaming for, for years now

we're a whole new team after those changes

all we have to do is get rid of manuel, and we'll win another 3 or 4 super bowls

Scott Campbell
08-19-2007, 06:59 PM

Man. You really know how to deflate optimistic paranoia, don't you? Can't they bathe in the kool-aid for a while? Don't we get something besides the "idiot" award for going 4-0 in the preseason?

Yeah, the great Mike Sherman would have lost these games like a team is supposed to.

retailguy
08-19-2007, 07:01 PM

Yeah, the great Mike Sherman would have lost these games like a team is supposed to.

Damn straight he would. Of course, he could always bank on winning the majority of the 16 games that mean something though, right? :P

4and12to12and4
08-19-2007, 07:50 PM
I agree, Mr. Jenkins looks like a Probowler out there. What has surprised me about him is that he really has some good moves and his quickness is excellent. And strong as an ox also. It was so nice to see a QB only getting 3 seconds to make a decision, rather than two years ago, when they just stood there, going back and forth through their reads 6 times. I love also how our pressure comes from not just the outside, but we are collapsing the interior of the line. Two seconds after the snap, it looks like a mess out there, we've got guys 3 yards in the backfield creating havoc. And the beauty is that teams can't counter with draws and screens, because of our outstanding, speedy linebacking core. Damn, I'm excited about this year. We could really turn some heads. I love how this team is coming together.

I also love how MM is smart in letting Woodson stay out of practices and preseason games, because he knows he hates playing in them. That shows you that he is willing to know his players and do what it takes to keep them happy. I think Chuck would've had 12 inteceptions last year if he would've employed this strategy last year. Woodson hates to practice, and I couldn't care less, he busts his ass in game time, and that's all that matters. Plus, with his age factor, it's the smart thing to do.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Actually, Ashworth is the backup RT....not sure how much work he's had at LT...not really sure.

Not really. Ashworth has started at both tackle spots in his career. He might be listed at RT, but that's like saying Tony Moll is a RT because he's listed there on the Packers depth chart--when really he's a backup at RT and RG.

Joemailman
08-19-2007, 09:08 PM
It's a minor point, but Ashworth is listed on Seattle's depth chart as the backup LT. At any rate, it wasn't my intention to diminish what Jenkins has done. Just pointing out that he will face a lot tougher LT's than he has so far, and we'll see how he does. I do know this. Having Jenkins ar RDE instead of KGB on running plays makes it a lot harder for teams to deal with A.J. Hawk.

Rastak
08-19-2007, 09:11 PM

Not really. Ashworth has started at both tackle spots in his career. He might be listed at RT, but that's like saying Tony Moll is a RT because he's listed there on the Packers depth chart--when really he's a backup at RT and RG.

Per Seattle beat writers he just started playing LT this offseason. I have no idea if he is good or not.

RashanGary
08-19-2007, 09:55 PM
I'll change the subject slightly and discuss the most significant play. In my opinion it occurred after Blackmon's great return (although that too was pretty significant) On 1st and goal from the 7 Jackson gained 6 yards setting up a 2nd and 1. Last year all too often in that situatioin the Packers would have gained a yard creating a situation where the Packers were in a likely passing situation. If the Packers can get decent yardage on 1st down in the red zone, their efficiency should be much better than last year.

I agree. Being able to run the ball in the redzone when teams know it's coming is the most important thing for redzone production. They looked good running the ball in the redzone for the first time in two full years. If they can continue with that success, they'll have a much higher conversion rate and we'll win a bunch more games. They definilty took a step in the right direction. That was promising.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Maybe with the Seahawks, but he had starts at LT for New England in 2005. Sounds like the Seattle beat writers are making excuses for him. BTW, he was a starter for the Patriots 2004 Super Bowl winning team. He's only 29, so it's not like he's past is prime either. Look, he's not Walter Jones. However, he's not a camp body either. He's a solid NFL player. He has 36 starts for good teams in the last 4 years.

Rastak
08-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Maybe with the Seahawks, but he had starts at LT for New England in 2005. Sounds like the Seattle beat writers are making excuses for him. BTW, he was a starter for the Patriots 2004 Super Bowl winning team. He's only 29, so it's not like he's past is prime either. Look, he's not Walter Jones. However, he's not a camp body either. He's a solid NFL player. He has 36 starts for good teams in the last 4 years.

He was the starting LT for that team? I guess I'd have to agree with you then, they are making excuses.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2007, 10:38 PM

He was the starting LT for that team? I guess I'd have to agree with you then, they are making excuses.

No. He wasn't the starter. Goodness. I've talked way too much about Tom Ashworth.
:D

Okay, here's Tom Ashworth's career snapshot:

In 2003, he was the starting RT for the Super Bowl team.

In 2004, he started the first 6 games at RT, but an injury knocked him out that year. Brandon Gorin replaced him.

In 2005, Gorin kept the RT job. Ashworth became a swing OT--backing up at LT and RT. That year, both LT Matt Light and Gorin missed time. Ashworth ended up making 11 starts. Some at LT and some at RT. That team also won the Super Bowl.

In 2006, he signed with Seattle as a backup swing OT. Locklear happened to get injured, and Ashworth got 6 starts at RT. If Jones had gotten injured, Ashworth would have started at LT.

He's actually a guy that I thought Green Bay should pick up last year. I thought he would have been solid insurance for both Clifton and Tausch.