PDA

View Full Version : Random observations about the defense

RashanGary
08-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Near the end of the first quarter, in 2nd and 10, Hawk overloads the left side with a blitz. However, Jenkins drops into coverage on the right side, with leaving only four rushing and an offensive lineman standing around on the right end not doing anything.

This is the first sign of our defense trying to use confusion and unpredictablity to their advantage.

Also, starting with 3rd and 13 after the Hawk sack, we went with 3 down lineman instead of four. WE used that setup a couple times in the second quarter but we brought Bigby and the LB's in on blitzes instead of just the typical 4 downlineman rushes.

Just a couple of things my brother and I noticed.

oregonpackfan
08-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Bigby was phenomenal with the safety blitz! His aggressiveness really disrupted the passing game when he blitzed.

Harlan Huckleby
08-19-2007, 12:10 PM
I think we want Bigby to play because Manuel is the end of hope.

Cheesehead Craig
08-19-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't disagree with that.

falco
08-19-2007, 12:15 PM
I don't disagree with that.

I think Bigby exists because he wistfully brings people back to the day when we had multiple players in the secondary with dreadlocks.

Joemailman
08-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Speaking of wistfully, what does Wist this of the Packers performance last night?

CaptainKickass
08-19-2007, 01:15 PM
The GB "D" employs a few "3-2-6" looks. 3 linemen, 2 linebackers, and 6 defensive backs.

They tries it w few times last year with negligible results.

It seemed to work last night though.

Badgepack
08-19-2007, 01:50 PM
I have not seen the game yet, did Hodge have a good game, he seemed to stat wise?

Deputy Nutz
08-19-2007, 02:59 PM
I have not seen the game yet, did Hodge have a good game, he seemed to stat wise?

The Hodge story is unfortunate. He is an old man after only playing 1 season in the NFL. His knees are shot and he wasn't even working with the #2 defense.

Everyone thought hodge was going to be the steal of the draft with his 3rd round selection, including myself, but he just doesn't read, or cover very well, and add that to the fact that he is lucky he can run full speed in a straight line his future doesn't look very bright.

Him8123
08-19-2007, 03:06 PM
i observed that we kicked ass :butt:

Partial
08-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Speaking of wistfully, what does Wist this of the Packers performance last night?

I was wondering that myself all last night. I think he normally posts from the lab. We'll have to see what he says on Monday.

Brohm
08-19-2007, 05:53 PM

We have other LB that are his size (Hodge) but look a lot more physical. Is it me or does Hodge look small out there for a LB and did he participate in the off-season program?

LL2
08-19-2007, 06:14 PM
i observed that we kicked ass :butt:

I second that. Let's get the season started!

ic_buck
08-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Didn't get to see the game but listned to the radio broadcast, the 1 thing I noticed was that the Pack seemed to blitz a hell of a lot.

That's fine and dandy it the regular season but means nothing in pre-season as teams don't plan for blitz pick-ups and so forth.

As good as the D looked I have to wait until the play a team that is game plannig against them.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2007, 09:01 PM
My recollection is that they didn't blitz a ton. Hawk a handful of times. Bigby a few times. Poppinga a couple of times. They got good pressure even without blitzing. They just seemed extremely effective the times they did blitz.

KYPack
08-19-2007, 10:22 PM

We have other LB that are his size (Hodge) but look a lot more physical. Is it me or does Hodge look small out there for a LB and did he participate in the off-season program?

Hodge can't run the field. Like most college Mikes, he could fill, but had big problems in cover.

Now with this injury, he can't really do either.

He plays like a 10 year vet, hobbled and slow.

He's compressed a long career into 18 months.

The kid's in shape, but it'll be a long shot that he ever starts in the league or even gets a lot of playing time.

Scott Campbell
08-19-2007, 10:24 PM

Hodge can't run the field. Like most college Mikes, he could fill, but had big problems in cover.

Now with this injury, he can't really do either.

He plays like a 10 year vet, hobbled and slow.

He's compressed a long career into 18 months.

The kid's in shape, but it'll be a long shot that he ever starts in the league or even gets a lot of playing time.

He's on the bubble.

Merlin
08-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Someone praising Bigby? You are kidding right? Last week most everyone wanted him cut. It's quite interesting how people's opinions change at the drop of a hat.

Hodge is done, he is a neverwas. So much for him beating out Barnett (because he sucks right) at MLB.

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Everybody go home. The party has ended.

Joemailman
08-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Someone praising Bigby? You are kidding right? Last week most everyone wanted him cut. It's quite interesting how people's opinions change at the drop of a hat.

Hodge is done, he is a neverwas. So much for him beating out Barnett (because he sucks right) at MLB.

Who wanted Bigby cut?

retailguy
08-20-2007, 09:09 PM

Who wanted Bigby cut?

You did. Just admit it Joe, it was YOU. :roll: :wink: