PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Package

Partial
08-19-2007, 05:56 PM
The packers ran a play or two with Cullen Jenkins and Corey Williams on the ends. Imagine doing this with Harrell (310) and Pickett (320). The hope in my mind is that Harrell is good enough by week 4-6 to command a double team. Same with Jenkins.

That would be absolutely ridiculous to run against. That is some serious mass.

retailguy
08-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Pardon the interruption, but I thought you were bragging about being male again.... :shock:

Carry on... :lol:

FritzDontBlitz
08-19-2007, 07:03 PM
i thought you were gonna bring up the u-71 package showing up during the game.

junius coston reported as an extra offensive tackle on one play. i think it was on the td run by brandon jackson.

red
08-19-2007, 07:05 PM
that would be about the same size as and line in the glory days of the 90's with reggie, dotson, big gil, and sean jones on the line

retailguy
08-19-2007, 07:14 PM
that would be about the same size as and line in the glory days of the 90's with reggie, dotson, big gil, and sean jones on the line

Stop living in the past man! It's a NEW era now...! :P

FritzDontBlitz
08-19-2007, 07:20 PM
the 3rd down d-line is what intrigues me: from left to right we're talking about kampy, pick, cullen and kgb lined up at the same time.

:shock: block that.

we might end up applying the type of pressure that requires keeping 7 or 8 guys in to block. we shall see.

4and12to12and4
08-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Our defensive line is going to be one of the best in the league, and the fact that we can rotate in and out will help us win games in the fourth quarter, when the o-lines worn out. Even Cole looked good yesterday. If Justin Harrell can be a force, we will be unstoppable against the run, and if our CB vets stay healthy, our defense will be so fun to watch. I think we are going to be getting alot of defensive turnovers this year. Everyone seems to be just reacting and using their instincts now that they are comfortable with their assignments. We could have 5 probowlers this year.

My picks for players coming from nowhere this year and becoming studs are Tramone Williams, and Bush. We have a ton of depth in our DB postion. And most of these guys are flat out hard hitters. Bigby is going to be a monster hitter, Manuel already is, Tramone has shown his great ability to lay out opponents. If these guys can rome the field due to blanket coverage from Woodson and Harris, we are going to be more exciting to watch on defense than the Bears, who can't stop the run to save their lives.

Between our shutdown corners, depth at safety, great linebackers, toughnosed d-line, it might be a real fun year, if our offense can even just be average. We should be able to win games this year by scoring 20 points, there won't be many shootouts like last year. These guys have bought into the system and are playing off one another nicely. I know its preseason, but, damn, our defensive 1st team looks dominant!!!!

The Leaper
08-20-2007, 07:17 AM
I completely agree about the DL. They have the look of a top five unit...one that truly is elite and has the horses to scare any offense. Cullen could very well turn out to be better than Kris Jenkins...maybe not from a pure talent standpoint, but he seems more durable and well rounded. Kampman is to the defense what Driver is to the offense. Pickett is limited, but certainly will be helped by having the strong talent around him. Williams, Jolly, Cole and Harrell all have ability as well. This unit is very deep and very talented...and YOUNG.

Thank GOD that Thompson has conserved cap space...and now has the potential to lock up all of this talent for a long time. Add Hawk, Barnett, Poppinga, Collins, Bigby to the DL...and you have a hell of a defense for the next 6-8 years. I certainly wish he had spent SOME coin on offense this offseason...but the flexibility we have under the cap will allow this team to continue to get better and stronger going forward.

Zool
08-20-2007, 07:33 AM
Pardon the interruption, but I thought you were bragging about being male again.... :shock:
I laughed about this

Carry on... :lol:
Then laughed even harder about this (un?)intentional pun.

OS PA
08-20-2007, 04:13 PM
the 3rd down d-line is what intrigues me: from left to right we're talking about kampy, pick, cullen and kgb lined up at the same time.

:shock: block that.

we might end up applying the type of pressure that requires keeping 7 or 8 guys in to block. we shall see.

Even better Kampy, Williams, Jenkins, and KGB lined up.

Merlin
08-20-2007, 05:30 PM
Can you imagine that Harrell at this point making the team is nothing more then a wasted roster spot because he hasn't outplayed anyone?

I don't like what I have seen out of Harrell. He has been a disappointment and is taking it all the way to the bank.

If by the last pre-season game this guy hasn't made significant strides then he needs to go. We are too deep at this position to waste a spot on him over anyone else as it stands right now.

Harrell command a double team? You are kidding right?

TennesseePackerBacker
08-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Can you imagine that Harrell at this point making the team is nothing more then a wasted roster spot because he hasn't outplayed anyone?

I don't like what I have seen out of Harrell. He has been a disappointment and is taking it all the way to the bank.

If by the last pre-season game this guy hasn't made significant strides then he needs to go. We are too deep at this position to waste a spot on him over anyone else as it stands right now.

You've been negative about Harrell since they announced his name on draft day, all I see is more of the same.

Brohm
08-20-2007, 06:11 PM
No way Harrel gets cut. He'll be alright once he gets into game condition. Eventually, I would hope he develops into a 4 down DT. Remember it took Jenkins/Williams a couple years (3/4) to get where they are today. A dominant DLine with good depth/rotation is something we have lacked for years, it's a thing of beauty :twisted: .

falco
08-20-2007, 06:16 PM

I hear a lot of first round draft pick get cut when they haven't produced results by the second preseason game... :roll:

dumbest post of the day by far

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-20-2007, 06:26 PM

Do you really believe Harrell should get cut? I'm hoping that is a joke.

MadtownPacker
08-20-2007, 07:38 PM
If Harrell was drafted on the 2001-2 team he would have been one if not the best DT on the squad. Him not beating out the current guys is fine by me cuz its mean they are good enough to not lose to a rookie.

Give him time. Next season the DL will be unstoppable.

But that comment was, whats Merl's fav word, "idiotic". :lol:

retailguy
08-20-2007, 09:17 PM
If Harrell was drafted on the 2001-2 team he would have been one if not the best DT on the squad. Him not beating out the current guys is fine by me cuz its mean they are good enough to not lose to a rookie.

Give him time. Next season the DL will be unstoppable.

But that comment was, whats Merl's fav word, "idiotic". :lol:

While I agree with this, I just want to point several people back to the archives from late April and early May.

He was the next "annointed" one, and was supposed to be our "savior" in 2007.

(Not you MTP, but those of you who said it, you know who you are....)

Expecting any rookie to step up like that is just plain foolishness. That whole justification for not picking up "overpriced free agents" is going right out the ole' rookie window, eh?

The guy can be a star, but odds have it, it'll be in 2008 at the SOONEST. Hell, AJ Hawk was the 5th pick last year, and he only had a mediocre year... expecting the 16th pick to perform at a higher level than a healthy 5th pick, how does THAT work?

A guy that missed almost his ENTIRE senior year, then showed up out of shape.... Yep, that's bound to work in the short term.... :wink:

RashanGary
08-20-2007, 09:19 PM

I don't think even one person said anything like this. I was big Harrell supporter, maybe the biggest but I never said he was going to be an all pro in his rookie year. Never even said he would start.

retailguy
08-20-2007, 09:30 PM

I don't think even one person said anything like this. I was big Harrell supporter, maybe the biggest but I never said he was going to be an all pro in his rookie year. Never even said he would start.

Well, then, maybe the next time Harvey wants to kill time and resurface old threads he can pull a few of those. It was said, alot, and you did have your orange pom pom's in full swing. You're too in love with Williams to probably have said he'd start, but you didn't predict what we have either. So claiming you "got it right", isn't exactly correct, but that's never stopped you before, so why start now?

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Harrell is a big pussy. He's lucky he doesn't live around here, I'd knock his block off.

Rastak
08-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Harrell is a big pussy. He's lucky he doesn't live around here, I'd knock his block off.

He should thank his lucky stars....I'm guessing if he did live there you'd move.....LOL....

He is one big dude....

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2007, 09:40 PM
I didn't mean that big football player. I meant JustinHarrell, the poster.

RashanGary
08-20-2007, 09:41 PM
RG. I've taken a shit load of flack for being as optimistic as I have this off season. I get tired of your sarcastic jabs and I give them back at times. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong. I like to think as I go forward I get more right and less wrong with experience. I'm not affraid to be wrong though and I'm not affraid to take my lumps for it. My biggest belief is in oppertunism and flexibility as a GM. I hang my hat on supporting Thompsons method. If I'm wrong on that, I will eat more of my own humble pie than you could ever serve me. I really believe strongly in Thompsons plan and direction. If I'm wrong on an indivudual player or three, I could care less. That is pure guess work. Scouts get hundreds of thousands of dollars and still get it wrong. The big picture view of Thompson though, I think I have a good idea of what is going on and I would be very suprised and humbled if he doesn't pan out.

Rastak
I didn't mean that big football player. I meant JustinHarrell, the poster.

LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

edit: That was good....there's the old HH from JSO, the dude with the funny assed lines.....

edit edit: I still love that Happy Buffoon line back from JSO.....

I forgive you for your misguided Vick posts..... :wink:

RashanGary

haha, bring it :)

retailguy
08-20-2007, 09:44 PM

Well, he could use somebody to kick his ass. You wouldn't be my first choice, but, you'll work. :P